Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

eyebeem posted:

Because everyone loves Swift.

Everyone.

loving wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You can make guesses on probability based on how fast things happened on earth.

Life formed on earth within 150 million years of the first drop of liquid water existing on earth. The fact it happened that fast and not 10 billion years after implies a lot about how easy it was for the dice roll to come up. The jump to multicellular life is so clearly the only step that had any delay or unlikeliness to it.

Then why hasn't it happened again

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Carly Rae Jepsen is better than Taylor Swift and she's in her 30s so it's not weird she's singing these tween beats.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

This may turn into something tomorrow:

https://twitter.com/normeisen/status/974355857654910976

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

theflyingorc posted:

We have literally no idea whether it has or hasn't.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Koalas March posted:

Nah, Karlie said they "grew apart" or something. Apparently a lot of her friends said they have barely seen her since she shacked up with her new man.

FML how do I even know this :psyduck:

I mean you're exposed to like twenty headlines about her every time you're in the grocery store, 7-11 or whatever. It just sort of osmoses into you and makes you dumber :smith:

Blurred posted:

Yeah, this is what happens to these threads when no big Trump scandals drop for about 47 minutes. I shudder to think what the Mike "I ate all my vegetables" Pence threads are going to look like when the time comes.

I thought it was pretty interesting, tbh

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Koalas March posted:

Nah, Karlie said they "grew apart" or something. Apparently a lot of her friends said they have barely seen her since she shacked up with her new man.

FML how do I even know this :psyduck:
Same reason I know that there are persistent rumors to the effect that this "growing apart" + shacking up with a dude who could be her twin brother was a direct response to a crypto-breakup with Karlie, with whom Taylor seemed to have about 1000% more genuine chemistry than she has with any of the guys she's dated.

It's because the ability to permeate the landscape with her bullshit beyond all reason is a key aspect of her eldritch powers. Brb throwing a whole fistful of salt over my shoulder.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

His argument is spurious but this is super-duper-dumb.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
Apparently Felix Sater is going to be on Chris Hayes tomorrow.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

PT6A posted:

We have literally no idea whether it has or hasn't.

What

I'm pretty sure we agree life on Earth has one source?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

eyebeem posted:

Because everyone loves Swift.

Everyone.

#TeamKanye dude.

gently caress that yt supremacist lite chick

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

We have no idea if life has "begun" multiple times.

How the gently caress would we know if it has done or not?

EDIT: If you're just talking about on Earth, then in order for there to be life on other planets, the odds of life "starting" at any given point would have to be so low that it has only happened once in 4.5 billion years on our planet, but sufficiently high that it could happen on one of billions (a low estimate) of other possible planets over the course of the age of the universe, with the proviso that it has to be likely enough to happen at least once (because we know we're here).

That's a pretty big range.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 16, 2018

Caros
May 14, 2008

Turns out it wasn't a suicide pact. More of a serial victim pact.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AshleyRParker/status/974451988103647232

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Democrats can choose not to enable this chaos.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

That he has to ask for a list of replacements instead of going “BOLTON” is a nice sign.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Life formed on earth within 150 million years of the first drop of liquid water existing on earth. The fact it happened that fast and not 10 billion years after implies a lot about how easy it was for the dice roll to come up. The jump to multicellular life is so clearly the only step that had any delay or unlikeliness to it.

It's hard to say when the universe could actually support life. It's fairly young you know, barely a teenager yet. It could have easily taken 8 billion years to get enough rocky worlds with water in habitable zones to form then life started popping up where it could. There's a pretty good chance that we are among the first generation of planets with life in the universe and the combination of time it takes to evolve combined with the distance between worlds explains the Fermi Paradox.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That he has to ask for a list of replacements instead of going “BOLTON” is a nice sign.

He forgot his name.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Even if it' ends up being Bolton, there's nothing we can do about it, so we might as well just keep living our lives

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

quote:

Trump is now comfortable with ousting McMaster, with whom he never personally gelled, but is willing to take time executing the move because he wants to ensure both that the three-star Army general is not humiliated and that there is a strong successor lined up, these people said.

His military complex is a little disturbing.

Rex eat the salad #yourefired.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

mcmagic posted:

Democrats can choose not to enable this chaos.

How so?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

PT6A posted:

The other major unlikeliness is everything required to develop to the point we have technologically.

I mean, apart from the fact that it's pretty much a roll of the dice whether any species survives the vicissitudes of fate, an "intelligent" species capable of developing similar to humanity would need to be intelligent, have the capacity to transmit culture and knowledge in some form, and I would argue, some capacity for fine motor skills. Further, we've avoided civilization-ending calamity so far, and we've invented technology which has the capability to end our own species, but we've so far managed to avoid using it.

Frankly, the steps from primate-ancestor to where we are now seem significantly less likely than the creation of multicellular life in the first place.

Again, going by time, our dice roll came up so fast it's really hard to say it must have been a hard dice roll. Like we are the most intelligent animal but there are like, multiple tool using animals on earth, from squid to crows to elephants. All alive in the same time period, meaning we got a 20 on the roll and a bunch of other animals got like 18s, meaning, the whole thing must be pretty easy to get the roll on. Same with virtually every step. Multicellular life is the only step where it was apparently a singular event and that it took so long that if it took 10 times as long on average that it wouldn't be irrelevant.

Even if we blow the whole earth up down to cockroaches there is still time for the whole cycle to repeat multiple times before the sun blows up. Multicellular life is the exception where if it takes 3.5 billion years we don't got that kind of time, and if we did that speedrun style then none of the universe has had that time but us. If we took .7 million years on making rocket ships and some other species took 7 million years that is rounding errors.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

They can start by killing the Pompeo and Haspel nominations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That's literally not how that works. If you roll a d100 and get 99 on your first roll, that didn't mean that number was any more likely than the rest of them. edit: poo poo I am late to this.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

theflyingorc posted:

If you are asking why we haven't seen the jump from single cell to multicell happen on earth again, I don't think evolution allows it to happen multiple times outside of a lab once someone "wins". Multicellular organisms are everywhere, including Antarctica, and there are plenty of tiny predators ready to gobble up the evidence that, say some freak mutant single cell made the jump to multicell in a fetid pool in south africa 470,000 years ago. When multicellular organisms don't exist, then there's room to make the jump and thrive.

Pasty Doughboy
Dec 23, 2006
With red way hair. One day it will all be gone, I’ll go blind from the glare

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Its the mustache.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump hates moustaches

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

FuturePastNow posted:

Trump hates moustaches

Probably can't grow facial hair, and is jealous of those who can

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

For those who may be lurking, this is not a joke. It really is the mustache. Our president is a loving moron.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TGLT posted:

That's literally not how that works. If you roll a d100 and get 99 on your first roll, that didn't mean that number was any more likely than the rest of them. edit: poo poo I am late to this.

It's exactly how it works, if you roll an unseen mysterious dice and get a 99 you can do the statistics and say what the odds are that you rolled a 20 sided dice, a 100 sided dice, a thousand sided dice, a million sided dice and a trillion sided dice. You know for sure you didn't roll a 20 sided dice to get it and you know it's very unlikely you rolled a trillion sided dice, you can guess that the most likely situation was the dice had hundreds or thousands of sides and not say how many but you can graph it getting more and more unlikely you got a 99 as you zoom up in to the hundreds of trillions (or the dice with less than 99 sides).

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

By forcing the Republicans to come up with 51 votes in the Senate, potentially blocking the confirmations and at the very least denying them the PR victory of a "bipartisan" vote.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Koalas March posted:

#TeamKanye dude.

Kanye went and visited Trump at Trump tower lol

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Rigel posted:

For those who may be lurking, this is not a joke. It really is the mustache. Our president is a loving moron.

Makes me wonder how ty cobb hasn't been fired yet

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Gambling addiction is no joke

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/974426801266221056?s=21

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
our president, the american borat

his moustache, is nice

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So on a scale of 1 to 10, how was this infrastructure week?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

evilweasel posted:

he did, remember? there's a famous 17 minute gap where they erased something.

He was listening to 'Alice's Restaurant', and singing along, and was embarrassed and didn't want anybody knowing.

Koalas March posted:

Okay but race was a factor here and for you to so callously throw it aside proves that you actually aren't worth engaging in.

I often say, the best security is good hospitality.

quote:

I know said "read" but here is my black in America 101 primer:

Music
Solange - Seat At The Table
Kendrick Lamar - drat & The Black Panther Album

https://soundcloud.com/the-black-power-mixtape/the-black-power-mixtape-1967 is a favorite of mine

Crows Turn Off posted:

What is this based on? Just because the universe is huge? We don't know the probability of life on a habitable planet or how to even calculate that. Even if we did manage a guess, we still don't know how many habitable planets there are.

I could say "there's almost certainly no other alien life out there" and be just as correct at the moment. Both are equally plausible since we have nothing to base it on.

We know the probability is better than zero /because there is life on earth/.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAVjF_7ensg

As for it being rare, I think it requires a particular kind of collusion. A second or third generation star (never first, of course), with a planet in the habitable zone, struck by a meteor sizable enough to knock the core out into space as a tidal-locked moon, releasing a shitload of energy. I believe this happened to Earth, imbuing it with sufficient energy to make replicating machines and fractal patterns inevitable - where, without that collusion, they'd be impossible. A bell rung in space never stops ringing. Heavy stuff - iron - falls toward the center of gravity, creating a magnetosphere. Weather system, churning continents, a period of heavy bombardment, earthquakes that still occur today... and the life that formed from that event /later/ evolved to capture solar energy and store it as hydrocarbons/carbohydrates.

I don't think you can have life without that rare-but-not-impossible event.

Jaxyon posted:

No, it's that white privilege/fragility makes talking to white people about race really fraught because they don't want to listen.

The other day I did three hits of acid and ended up writing the following to my facebook page:

quote:

To be clear, if you're white and you imagine yourself to have a retirement plan, you're being racist every moment you imagine it.
https://www.facebook.com/david.guthrie/posts/10103172491104247
predictable white fragility from my progressive friends.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Do you think the real reason all these people got fired was because they skipped shaving one day.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Koalas March posted:

#TeamKanye dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzoebhQ7hjQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

So on a scale of 1 to 10, how was this infrastructure week?

Hard to rate it yet, it's just beginning.

• Locked thread