Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mr Hootington posted:

They are the GOP.

The third way is back with some ideas straight from the heart of america! Really feeling that pulse.

https://www.thirdway.org/memo/a-new-generation-of-ideas-a-social-contract-for-the-digital-age

I thought this was USPOL, not PYF Political Fanfiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Radish posted:

Work until you die, boomers.

FTFY

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Chucktesla posted:

There were things in the dodd frank repeal that were good for credit unions and small banks I know this because the president of my credit union sent out an email asking account owners to support the dodd frank repeal. How about that, libtards

Well, I mean, there were, it's just that even then the societal cost of reduced reporting requirements outweighs the modest savings in compliance spending.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mr Hootington posted:

They are the GOP.

The third way is back with some ideas straight from the heart of america! Really feeling that pulse.

https://www.thirdway.org/memo/a-new-generation-of-ideas-a-social-contract-for-the-digital-age

this is the biggest load of horseshit holy lol

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

this is the biggest load of horseshit holy lol

I know the “employ Boomers as low-cost coerced child card drones” is the one attracting all the attention but I personally really like the “allow conservative states with low COL to have lower minimum wages and make races to the bottom even worse” concept.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Like the first idiot that tries to pull that list of over complicated consultant driven trash in public is going to pull a Jeb and look sad saying "please clap." They are desperately trying to thread this needle of making something that is great for their donors but the public and specifically their base doesn't hate and there really just is no answer to that. It's Obamacare all over again where if they get around to even implementing it, it will be picked apart in the courts, state governments, and eventually by whatever Republican gets elected in 2024.

Lightning Knight posted:

I know the “employ Boomers as low-cost coerced child card drones” is the one attracting all the attention but I personally really like the “allow conservative states with low COL to have lower minimum wages and make races to the bottom even worse” concept.

Red State voters desperately want lower pay.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mr Hootington posted:

They are the GOP.

the only one that actively worries me is 5

the rest are perfectly adequate incremental improvements

I was actually expecting significantly worse. If this is where the right wing end of the Democratic Party winds up landing, that'd be just fine by me.

Lightning Knight posted:

oh i'm dumb i didn't look at the numbers

top-end minimum wage of $12.55 is... i'm gonna go with "bad"

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 15, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I was actually expecting significantly worse. If this is where the right wing end of the Democratic Party winds up landing, that'd be just fine by me.

:nono: :redass:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

If you just read the line items and not the actual text of their ideas, I can see people viewing them as being progressive ideas. But then you read some of the details and all of the ideas are terrible and not as left leaning as they are trying to pretend to be.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

numbers on the boomer thing are stupid too now that I bother to not-skim, I just went "oh, I like the idea of a New WPA"

12k stipend/year for 20 hours? loving really?

Zil posted:

If you just read the line items and not the actual text of their ideas, I can see people viewing them as being progressive ideas. But then you read some of the details and all of the ideas are terrible and not as left leaning as they are trying to pretend to be.

hey now, I read some of the mushy feelgood text too

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

numbers on the boomer thing are stupid too now that I bother to not-skim, I just went "oh, I like the idea of a New WPA"

hey now, I read some of the mushy feelgood text too

Zil posted:

This is pretty much the problem. Some of it seems ok and then you keep reading and you either don’t know enough to know why it’s bad or you realize how bad it really is.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Jesus loving Christ, Greyjoy

:cripes:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

GreyjoyBastard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i3zrzyLOCw

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

if i post about a policy proposal without reading the details, I deserve the scorn at least as much as the people I routinely diss for doing the same thing :saddowns:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

if i post about a policy proposal without reading the details, I deserve the scorn at least as much as the people I routinely diss for doing the same thing :saddowns:

Skim center right policy proposals to own the libs.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
For what it's worth I don't think ThirdWay is a think tank in the same good graces as it used to be, which probably doesn't matter all that much if its proposals snake their way into the arms of Democratic leadership anyway.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Office Pig posted:

For what it's worth I don't think ThirdWay is a think tank in the same good graces as it used to be, which probably doesn't matter all that much if its proposals snake their way into the arms of Democratic leadership anyway.

In terms of platform proposals, Senate Dems have already committed to something to the left of this plan in the form of the Better Deal ideas.

I think we’ll have to wait for 2020 to see if it makes it into presidential platforms.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Eh, "work the olds to death" isn't the worst idea I've ever heard, considering who the olds actually are. It's a terrible platform, of course, but if a candidate ran on jump-starting the economy via the forced labor of the generation that tanked it in the first place, they'd probably get my vote. All else being equal.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
You guys laugh but I know real life bona fide “smart people” who would love this. Same group of people think doubling the EITC should be enough to pull all the poors out of the most dire poverty.

Third Way’s shuffling of deck chairs panders towards the NPR/pod save america demographic, not people with a brain.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Kilroy posted:

Eh, "work the olds to death" isn't the worst idea I've ever heard, considering who the olds actually are. It's a terrible platform, of course, but if a candidate ran on jump-starting the economy via the forced labor of the generation that tanked it in the first place, they'd probably get my vote. All else being equal.

I loving hate the boomers but it's morally wrong to work them to death. Just seize the wealth of the top 5% in graduated increments. Trailer parks are cheap.

Also did y'all miss them exempting the first 15k of income from Social Security, thus allowing the GOP to run against it on the platform that the drat lazy poors aren't even contributing to their own retirement? What a bunch of maroons.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I loving hate the boomers but it's morally wrong to work them to death. Just seize the wealth of the top 5% in graduated increments. Trailer parks are cheap.
Yeah, it's morally wrong to work them to death, but given their retirement plan - after torpedoing the economy repeatedly for their entire adult lives in the name of higher property values and lower interest rates - is apparently "work my kids to death", well I'm just saying it's not the worst idea I've ever heard and turnabout is fair play. If I gotta choose between that and more banking deregulation, it's not a hard choice.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's morally wrong to work people to death, everyone.

Not sure about boomers though.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

It's morally wrong to work people to death, everyone.

Not sure about boomers though.

Let's find out if Boomers are people...*gets out his calipers*

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Not all boomers are greedy old white people rubbing their hands boomerly while plotting the immiseration of their children

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Instead of working Boomers to death, we should just make them take critical theory courses and gender studies for the rest of their lives.

They’ll either become woke and educated or die trying! :eng101:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Seems like the idea is to get Boomers doing something with their days other than staying in their jobs and refusing to retire and let anyone else replace them in the workforce. Sounds a lot like basically make-work, but it's deliberately mealy-mouthed so hard to tell.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Inescapable Duck posted:

Seems like the idea is to get Boomers doing something with their days other than staying in their jobs and refusing to retire and let anyone else replace them in the workforce. Sounds a lot like basically make-work, but it's deliberately mealy-mouthed so hard to tell.

Yeah I should say, the core concept of trying to help older people do something productive and happy in retirement is actually not bad.

The problem is that we all know what they actually want is cheap workers to throw in the child care sector, and they aren’t prioritizing empathetic solutions for everyone involved. It’s a feel-good idea that sounds reasonable hiding a nasty exploitative core.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Lol at institutionalizing the unpaid internship scam across the entire economy.

Also lol at higher education reform that doesn't touch tuition levels.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
Let's make the job market even worse for people entering it for the first time! Surely everyone will love this!

...why are you putting up scaffolding in the square?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Peven Stan posted:

Not all boomers are greedy old white people rubbing their hands boomerly while plotting the immiseration of their children

Just the ones that vote

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Those policy proposals are all so, so terrible. I especially like the broadband one, because we tried that back in the 90s in the exact same way and it failed.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Might as well just go to grad school at that point.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Skim center right policy proposals to own the libs.

I've believed for a while that at least part* of the misunderstanding that prompts these intraleft online arguments is related to some people who are either young or recently became politically engaged being genuinely confused at the cynicism displayed by others, who default to a negative assumption about these things. I can understand how, to such a person, it probably looks like others are just being super negative for no reason; after all, if you're coming at things blindly it makes sense to assume the best and wait and see if the policy/candidate in question delivers significant improvements. But that negative assumption actually makes more sense when you historically contextualize things and realize that optimism becomes stupidity when you keep applying it to the same people who have been failing to deliver substantial change for decades, particularly when you consider that many of the people in question have direct incentives against enacting positive left-ward change and have sometimes even supported ideas/policy that make things worse.

That latter part is another thing I think being "new" to politics can blind someone to. To a liberal who just became politically aware in the last few years, they probably view the Democrats as "the socially progressive party that at least want some incremental economic improvements," but a longer and more comprehensive view brings to mind stuff like the Clinton years, Democratic opposition to gay marriage, support of private prisons, support of charter schools, Obama's attempts at a Grand Bargain, etc. Basically, there's a whole bunch of stuff that casts extreme doubt on the "Democrats share left-wing values and are just having trouble enacting them" narrative to anyone who has actually paid attention.

* The other part is a bunch of extremely classist folks that make at least 2-3x the individual median income

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I got a jobs program that will employ a whole lot of carpenters.

Crosses. Miles and miles of crosses.

Gonna need some nails too. Good for the steel industry.

by "jobs program" you mean "hooking a computer to a lumber mill, set to make crosses and reap all the profit for yourself".

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

by "jobs program" you mean "hooking a computer to a lumber mill, set to make crosses and reap all the profit for yourself".

Nah the rich deserve artisanal crosses and nails. I really think the French had this one right though.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Betsy DeVos is trying to kill the union for the Federal workers under her.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

quote:

“Are you committed to continue to grant programs that are identified, I believe, as the Japanese American Confinement Sites grants program which were funded in 2017? Will we see them funded again in 2018?” Hanabusa asked.

“Oh, konnichiwa,” Zinke replied, deploying a Japanese greeting typically used in midday.
gently caress you.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
"Still planning to not bulldoze the Native American reservations, right?"
"Kimosabe potluck gutentag."

Zinke never said yes. Maybe that was the master plan here? :v:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

What a scumbag of a human being she is. That's not even shady, it's straight up doing something that is 100% entirely illegal and hoping that all of the institutions that can call you on it are either crippled or co-opted so much that they don't or can't take you to task for it.

loving lol at all the democrat centrists and Republicans trying to shout down this article and the guy who literally laid out how centrists helped bring us to this in exquisite first person detail in the comments too.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Mar 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

x-post from the succ zone

• Locked thread