Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Emma and the Cuckoos probably could have but just didn't want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I always liked when the telepaths in X-Men were written as people with a more limited range of power and normal people were capable of resisting them without special training. The arc where Xavier gets beaten nearly to death by a mob of anti-mutant protesters just because he can't concentrate on six or seven people well enough to use his powers on all of them effectively is one of the best stories in the classic years, and it all hinges on his extremely powerful telepathy still being contingent and limited.

It's strange, but over time that interpretation has become less and less common than the modern take that telepaths can subtly erase memories, control minds, and basically tell people to mentally turn on a dime at will unless they're also a telepath or have some kind of special resistance to telepathy. I don't exactly hate that, it can be cool, it's just a really significant departure from how the X-telepaths used to be written.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Telepathy Power Creep sucks because it gives us the ol' "why couldn't Xavier have done this ages ago" question when the real answer is "because the writer didn't think of it until now", or you gotta constantly hobble the telepath to write a fight scene without ending it instantly. I like good old-fashioned "I pulled the access code out of his mind but now I'm so tired you have to carry me" telepathy where you can't mentally knock someone out without knocking yourself out.

Also I really liked Enemy of the State II. I thought the reveal of Laura being able to resist it at the beginning by essentially temporary-suiciding while she had time to react was great, getting rid of her Kryptonite through the power of friendship and trust (and a mental kick in the rear end from Jean) was a decent way to drop it quickly, and Gambit hucking a can of beans at a helicopter was fine art. And I'll admit I cheered out loud when Laura beat/drowned Kimura while wearing most of an Iron Man suit and shouting "I'm the goddamn Wolverine". Everyone who swears off murder is still allowed to kill their Kimura. It's the law, look it up some time.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I wasn't saying that I thought any of the other telepaths should have fixed her mind, I was complaining that of all the ones we've seen young Jean Grey seems the least likely to be able to do it. She's consistently portrayed as just learning how to control her powers, with lots of power and potential, but very little finesse. Having her do it so casually retroactively made all the other telepaths Laura was ever around seem like negligent uncaring assholes or just inept compared to Jean. Both are bad which is just another reason to me why telepathy shouldn't have been involved.

But that was an afterthought to my main point, which was that the resolution to one of the character's oldest and biggest issues was by some thing being done to her. The entire point of the Trigger Scent was that Laura had control of her self taken away. Yet it was fixed by other people doing just that. Having her friends take away her agency in the resolving the issue felt like it completely missed the point of why it was a big deal for her in the first place.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Skwirl posted:

I can't imagine Laura living with a parental figure at this point in her life.

That one-shot where she went back in time and beat up Creed with Logan in Japan, and then had some family time, was pretty good.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The thing is the story never treated Jean as having some special power or skill that let her fix Laura where others hadn't, she's just treated as a powerful psychic they had available to them at the time. None of the previous psychics Laura had been around really had access to the "lock an out of control Laura in a room with someone she loves and have her murder them over and over so a psychic can dig around and find something useful to stop the Trigger Scent effect while it's happening" plan that Gabby came up with.

Also Laura's closest family and friends helping cure the mind conditioning that causes her more grief than pretty much anything in the world takes away her agency is a kinda weird take.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Depending on how you read into it (since the scene was incredibly metaphorical to begin with), it's not like Jean did all that much anyway. Laura had already been shown to be resisting the effects in a previous issue, and presumably building that resistance up for years. Jean points out right away that the "door had been open" to the spot in Laura's psyche where she'd been hiding away. All Jean did was encourage her to leave that shred of her childhood she was clinging to behind, so that she could embrace her life as a not-weapon.

You could have put any psychic in that spot and they probably would have been able to do the same. The development was largely from Laura, just framed from an outsider's perspective looking in.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cabbit posted:

That one-shot where she went back in time and beat up Creed with Logan in Japan, and then had some family time, was pretty good.

I haven't read that one, was it the legacy book like the Hawkeyes and Captains Marvel? They've started popping up on Marvel Unlimited and I've been meaning to check them out.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Name aside, the upcoming X-23 costume appears to be #2 with the boots from #3, which I'm in favour of. Athleisure mixed with a goth edge works for Laura, and they're keeping the optional jacket from the latter part of ANW too. Prefer the X-Force domino mask to the cowl too, which never worked fully for me.

The neck thing is presumably a two-thirds choker?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

How do you guys feel about Inferno? Thinking about picking up the Uncanny and X Factor issues from my shop.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's not good. There are some fun moments, but a lot of it is just the increasingly awkward character assassination of Madelyne Pryor by editorial mandate. It almost feels like the whole purpose of the big crossover is just to answer the Madelyne question, take her off the board, and fold some things back into Jean's character that the whole rigamarole kind of stole from her.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

On the bright side, you do get Havok dressed like this:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Metalshark posted:

Name aside, the upcoming X-23 costume appears to be #2 with the boots from #3, which I'm in favour of. Athleisure mixed with a goth edge works for Laura, and they're keeping the optional jacket from the latter part of ANW too. Prefer the X-Force domino mask to the cowl too, which never worked fully for me.

The neck thing is presumably a two-thirds choker?

But how are those boots at kicking Nazis?

Domino masks will never not be awful. She doesn't even have a secret identity to barely hide, so why bother. Borrow Gabby's sweet goggles if she wants sand/gas protection.
Who here buys lots of nerd poo poo? I want Gabby's Wolverine hoodie but I've never been able to find it online. Surely some nerdery I'm unfamiliar with has to have it for sale.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I don't mind Inferno, parts of it are good and it's kind of the first time the X-Men and X-Factor hang out. But yeah, basically it's a storyline whose main purpose is to just get rid of Madelyne.

There's kind of a 2nd storyline running concurrently though in New Mutants and the X-terminators mini-series, about Illyana losing control of Limbo. It's basically a separate story but shares a few threads with the main Madelyne one.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

X-23 is a dumb codename to go back to. If they're giving Logan the title of Wolverine back, fine I guess. But give Laura a new cool name instead of just going backwards. I think having multiple Wolverine and Wolverine stand ins is dumb. I'm also irrationally annoyed that OML has one hand of bone claws now.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Hellblazer187 posted:

give Laura a new cool name instead of just going backwards.

Unfortunately, Honey Badger is already taken.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Cabbit posted:

Unfortunately, Honey Badger is already taken.

All-New, All-Different Honey Badger.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

How do you guys feel about Inferno? Thinking about picking up the Uncanny and X Factor issues from my shop.

The Excalibur part is probably the best, and completely separate from the main story.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I liked it. Reminded me of Ghostbusters with the oscillation between goofiness and horror. And I thought the fall of Madelyne was pretty convincing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Made me sad as a kid, because of what happened to Illyana.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I've only ever read the Amazing Spider-Man tie ins, which were pretty rad from what I remember. I'll keep an eye out for the New Mutants and Excalibur tie ins.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Man, I read that New Mutants: Dead Souls last night. I was pretty excited to read a new New Mutants comic, but that was pretty awful. The art wasn't great in my opinion, especially the facial expressions that didn't seem to match what they were saying/reacting to. It was paced too fast, and the action didn't flow well, like there was missing panels between panels. And the whole story is just a zombie attack? Not much a story to stay interested in it. Also, my wife insists it isn't, but I could have sworn calling someone a "twink" was a slur.

IUG fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 17, 2018

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

IUG posted:

Man, I read that New Mutants: Dead Souls last night. I was pretty excited to read a new New Mutants comic, but that was pretty awful. The art wasn't great in my opinion, especially the facial expressions that didn't seem to match what they were saying/reacting to. It was paced too fast, and the action didn't flow well, like there was missing panels between panels. And the whole story is just a zombie attack? Not much a story to stay interested in it. Also, my wife insists it isn't, but I could have sworn calling someone a "twink" was a slur.

A twink is just a skinny young gay man with abs, which is Wiccan to a T. It's not a slur, but could obviously offend someone for various reasons.

I didn't get on with Dead Souls #1 either, I just didn't like a lot of the characterisation (Guido was practically Lenny from Of Mice and Men) and the initial taste of the plot behind the series was not compelling. It wasn't fun/funny either and reminded me of Rosenberg's Secret Warriors, which just oscillated between humour and drama with little warning and also featured some very "aggressive" characterisation, in that he seems to pump up aspects of characters to their maximum, leaving them lacking nuance. I might give it another chance to see if it gels a bit better with issue #2, but I'm not hopeful. At least this feeling fast was a change of pace from Phoenix Resurrection, which was 3 issues stretched to 5.

(Magik's hairstyle is so bad too.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I've only ever read the Amazing Spider-Man tie ins, which were pretty rad from what I remember. I'll keep an eye out for the New Mutants and Excalibur tie ins.

The Daredevil one is very good.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Twink is not a slur or offensive in any way.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Here's your Uncanny X-Men relaunch

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/979342416732917760

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Lmfao they're relaunching it AGAIN? This poo poo is funny.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

To be fair, there hasn't been an Uncanny X-Men in over a year, so it actually makes sense to relaunch it.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Endless Mike posted:

To be fair, there hasn't been an Uncanny X-Men in over a year, so it actually makes sense to relaunch it.

Yeah I just meant X-Men in general. I'm really behind in my comic news from the Big 2. Is this a new title in addition to the other 4 titles with X-Men in the name? Or are they scrapping the others?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That tweet is 100% of what we know right now. I doubt the other titles are going anywhere though. The color titles all have pretty specific focuses, and Astonishing is off doing whatever it feels like.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
They tweeted Amazing with a 2 and Mighty with a 3 so that may not be truly a relaunch.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I find most of the X stuff out right now to be decent but the problem is it feels like they're all missing that building to something way off in the future that may never happen and the constant relaunches are apart of that because it seems as soon as a writer gets their legs the creative team changes.

I do get not wanting to go full 80s-90s where there were dozens of dangling plot lines, some of which that took literal decades to resolve (and I wouldn't be surprised if I thought about it if there are some that never were) but it feels like the comics are just moving from issue to issue and its missing that feeling of mythology working.

I guess the Young X-Men are the closest thing to that since someday they have to go home but, also, I don't really like them so I'm being a hypocrite there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I want to know what happened to the scrapped X-Factor, X-Force and Excalibur books they showed us at the retailer summit.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Rhyno posted:

I want to know what happened to the scrapped X-Factor, X-Force and Excalibur books they showed us at the retailer summit.

spill

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Remember the Astonishing cover with the blacked out team? The three covers were the same, just one visible team member on each cover. Cable on X-Force, Havok on X-Factor and Captain Britain on Excal. No interior art or creators announced, just three teasers.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Remember the Astonishing cover with the blacked out team? The three covers were the same, just one visible team member on each cover. Cable on X-Force, Havok on X-Factor and Captain Britain on Excal. No interior art or creators announced, just three teasers.

Well maybe they're somewhere down the line since Havok is still bad in X-Men Blue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

Well maybe they're somewhere down the line since Havok is still bad in X-Men Blue.

We figured since he was inverted that X-Factor was gonna be bad guys.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Rick posted:

I find most of the X stuff out right now to be decent but the problem is it feels like they're all missing that building to something way off in the future that may never happen and the constant relaunches are apart of that because it seems as soon as a writer gets their legs the creative team changes.

I do get not wanting to go full 80s-90s where there were dozens of dangling plot lines, some of which that took literal decades to resolve (and I wouldn't be surprised if I thought about it if there are some that never were) but it feels like the comics are just moving from issue to issue and its missing that feeling of mythology working.

I guess the Young X-Men are the closest thing to that since someday they have to go home but, also, I don't really like them so I'm being a hypocrite there.

I kind of completely agree, the constant relaunches and new teams just makes it impossible for anything to settle. It's also hard to latch on to character development when you know it's probably going out the window in a year anyway.

This is more an endemic problem than an X-Men problem, but they are pretty well plagued by it. It's been a while since we've had something as long-running and lovingly crafted as, say, Hickman on Fantastic Four or Aaron on Thor for the X-Men.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

X-Men being the long running Superhero soap is what made it such a such a success for so long and so much of what people love about it comes from that. If any comic needs to be freed from the cycle of reboot that modern comics run on it is X-Men. It just doesn't ever seem to get going anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Rick posted:

Sadly, I think those days are gone. You're not going to have any build up to something in the future because that's not the way comics are written anymore. That buildup was primarily because there was a single writer driving the book for so long. Yes, it got a little ridiculous with the constant dangling plot lines - but when it paid off, it usually paid off in spades. With a constantly shifting creative team, that can't happen.