Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008
Is there a term for those sad souls we see pictures of with mountain dew bottles and used toilet paper stacked to the ceiling? You know the ones I'm talking about.
*insert picture of computer set up in the crawl space of a house, dirt floor and spider webs included*

I find this phenomenon morbidly fascinating and it's been a while since I've seen a topic about it so post that kind of poo poo here.

I used to hang out with this guy who dropped out of school in 10th grade, and basically did nothing but chain smoke cigarettes and sit in front of his computer in a hand me down trailer (mobile home) in the woods for almost 10 years. He would occasionally get a job and be fired or rage quit over the stupidest poo poo after a few months, but 90% of the time he was unemployed and would walk up to his grandmother's house to eat, so he never starved to death. Back when he first got the trailer from his older brother, the rest of is were still in high school so we would smoke weed and drink and hang out down there because it was the chillest spot at the time and no one else among us had our own place. He was proud of it at first (he was still working a decent factory job then) and would keep it as clean and tidy as a chain smoker's den can be but after rage quitting that job over an argument with a coworker and having some other poo poo happen in his life, it's like he just stopped giving a gently caress and the trailer slowly slipped into poo poo hole status over the years.

At first it was just little things, dust all over the place, spider webs, general dirtiness. But after a while, the plumbing broke so he just shut off the water. The floor started sagging in a few spots, dry wall panels started bowing and popping off the framing, random electronic garbage from his dad piled up to rot in the living room. Eventually his older brother came to check out the wiring and ended up shutting the power off to the trailer (he still technically owned it) because of all the exposed deteriorating wires, so he got his hands on a long extension cord and ran it from his grandma's back porch, down the hill, through his bedroom window, and ran a laptop, desk lamp, and space heater/window AC depending on the season. The sagging floor in the hallway finally tore open, exposing the sloping ground below, the porch began to rot, the ceiling began to leak. He used to have two plastic storage containers he would use to catch water as it dribbled through his bedroom ceiling and would dump it out the back door when they filled up. All this time he did absolutely nothing to try to fix any of it. I even offered to help multiple times and pay for some of the expense. He just didn't care. All he cared about was digging through the internet studying everything, while not actually DOING anything. He was just holed the gently caress up. Offer to take him out somewhere or do something "nah man I know all about that. not interested" and would become extremely defensive if you tried to push the issue or suggested that doing things is better than just reading things on the internet. Also I think he had about 5000 hours on TF2 before his computer finally died for good.

Anyway, this poo poo's getting long so I'll leave it there. Lots of details and stories to go with that guy, but it would be lost without actually knowing him I think.

Post nerds living in squalor.

Here are bonus pics of his front porch before he moved out of the trailer and into his grandmother's house:
(They were in this state for several years while he lived there)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
In to request someone find/repost the pics of the goon basement mould dungeon

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
not gonna doxx myself

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The CPS goons with the "soft spots" on the floors was all kinds of :stare::catstare:, I don't think the original thread still has the pictures though

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Do all trailer homes decay at an accelerated rate? A lot of this just looks like standard trailer trash.
A deck made of untreated plywood never lasts long.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
goon with basement swimming pool dot jpg

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

final fantasy house imo

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

let it mellow posted:

goon with basement swimming pool dot jpg

:munch: "But what about like, the ambient humidity and keeping the water clean and stuff?"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
shitlasagna.txt

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

this thread going into archives is why i registered an account and the upgrade so i could read it again

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Mario death mask posted:

The CPS goons with the "soft spots" on the floors was all kinds of :stare::catstare:, I don't think the original thread still has the pictures though

It didn't and I wish it did, because the reactions went from

'ahh i'm sure it's not that bad...'

*pics posted*

'oh my god how are you alive and what the gently caress is wrong with you'

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
Friend from high school living in a swamp trailer that had an actual dog poop corner, for YEARS, right by where they watch tv. Years they never cared about it. Petrified dog feces, even later when the dogs have not been there in a long time. Another friend moved in and threw it out in less than a half hour. Years. At least there weren't like urine bottles and human feces? Yet

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
they weren't all nerds, but things i've experienced living with housemates:

- finding slices of bologna in the couch cushions
- fridge, sink full of rotting fruit 'rescued' from dumpsters
- washing machine rescued from side of road, but "it's broken". turns out they tried to connect the water lines using elmer's glue instead of, say, a wrench
- being asked how to deal with a (stolen) compost bin swarming with flies and maggots. come to realize they want me to kill them because they're vegans
- pile of dirty dishes and recycling with tendrils of mold literally three inches tall coming out like gray/green fur
- being shamed by a homeless woman who is horrified at the state of our living room when i let her in to take our recyclables
- housemate comes home to find i've deep-cleaned said living room, says only "what did you do with my garlic sauce?" (there were a bunch of papa johns garlic sauces in the couch cushions)

plus my favorite: being unironically asked "did they have any good dumpsters there?" by a strange dude who was hanging out in our kitchen when I returned from a family vacation to europe

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

drat this guy got owned.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
These always fascinate me because I tend to live somewhere between pretty tidy and "unsustainably tidy" and actually I'm still young enough I get tons of poo poo for it

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
SO uh... that counts as mental illness, right?

naem
May 29, 2011

GORDON posted:

SO uh... that counts as mental illness, right?

Beyond a certain point yes

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

naem posted:

Beyond a certain point yes

It isn't surprising that 1 in 4 people in the USA are, technically, mentally ill.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

GORDON posted:

It isn't surprising that 1 in 4 people in the USA are, technically, mentally ill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7lxwFEB6FI&t=14s

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

TheToxicEuphoria posted:

A guy I know has profound clinical depression here are some pictures

ok? :shrug:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TheToxicEuphoria posted:

Post nerds living in squalor.
*appears in a cloud of smoke*

WHO HAS SUMMONED ME

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008
and schizophrenia and probably some sort of asberger's. you got any pics?

there's that one floating around with mold hanging off someone's ceiling fan, too

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
groverhaus

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GORDON posted:

everyone's mentally ill if you make the definition broad enough

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Is this the thread to make fun of poor ppl too destitute to seek the help they need?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

someone please post final fantasy house so i can read it like crazy

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

rare sux

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Is this the thread to make fun of poor ppl too destitute to seek the help they need?

call in the fyad morality squad to spam the thread ftw

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

bradzilla posted:

call in the fyad morality squad to spam the thread ftw

Stay obsessed with a dead subforum for another 14 years of your life & maybe we'll be able to post your setup in the future version of this thread, normal guy

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
I gently drift to sleep atop a pile of taco Bell wrappers.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Stay obsessed with a dead subforum for another 14 years of your life & maybe we'll be able to post your setup in the future version of this thread, normal guy

At least I like posting here. All you do is bitch and whine about goons. Maybe stop posting in a place that you hate. :)

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
That piss bottle at the edge of the desk is :magical:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm sitting in one right now ama

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

bradzilla posted:

At least I like posting here. All you do is bitch and whine about goons. Maybe stop posting in a place that you hate. :)

You put your big boy pants on just to make this projection, lol. gg

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

What's it like to be aware, and care enough to sort of brag in a hosed-up sort of way, but not be willing to change?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
This reminds me of the hoarder I-spy thread

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

KakerMix posted:

What's it like to be aware, and care enough to sort of brag in a hosed-up sort of way, but not be willing to change?

Manic depressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

no that’s ur mirror

• Locked thread