Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I hope you like 2003 era landmass mods in a techno future mournhold with guns

Guns were in Redguard, so there.

Edit: lovely snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Upmarket Mango posted:

So a big new landmass/quest mod called 'Roscrea' just came out today.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45531

Going by the images it looks to be pretty cool/weird. Judging by the map the modder provided this shouldn't conflict with Tamriel Rebuilt.

I clicked on the link and looked at the images before reading the description and man did I have the mother of all double takes when I saw those power lines

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Finally someone added guns, power lines, and graffiti on concrete walls to Morrowind. It's taken 16 years but we have reached that point.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Patrolling the plaza brindisi dorom almost makes you wish for a volcanic eruption.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I was thinking about what it would be like to have power lines/street lights in Morrowind literally yesterday. I'm generating distant land right now and then I'm going to go explore this crazyness.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Node posted:

Finally someone added guns, power lines, and graffiti on concrete walls to Morrowind. It's taken 16 years but we have reached that point.

There's that Russian mod. I forgot where it was. You see it briefly in N'wahquest, at 3:40, with the Adidas gear and all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e0s91RmkAA

(I'd love to see a list of all the bonkers mods in that vid.)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Patrolling the plaza brindisi dorom almost makes you wish for a volcanic eruption.
Perfect.

Upmarket Mango posted:

I was thinking about what it would be like to have power lines/street lights in Morrowind literally yesterday. I'm generating distant land right now and then I'm going to go explore this crazyness.
Please post trip reports!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I hope you like 2003 era landmass mods in a techno future mournhold with guns

I hope the answer to that is "yes" for everyone here

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

installed the speed and stamina tweaked mod posted earlier - while it makes the game way more playable it is a bit disconcerting being able to run from balmora to ghostgate in about 5 minutes. and I kind of got used to being able to turn on autorun and text people while my character hobbled down a path, it was oddly relaxing. i'll probably leave it on but can't help but feel I've cheapened the ~morrowind experience~ a tad

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My ~morrowind experience~ was making a jump spell that allowed me to leap everywhere fast as gently caress just like the Hulk. I don't think you've cheapened anything.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Does future mournhold have TV-headed freaks and tsaesci in lab coats for me to fight? If yes then I'm getting back into morrowind immediately

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

My ~morrowind experience~ was making a jump spell that allowed me to leap everywhere fast as gently caress just like the Hulk. I don't think you've cheapened anything.

yeah I'm in the middle of doing the pilgrimage at the moment and considering one of the shrine blessings lets you fly around like a jet fighter for hours I think increasing the walking speed slightly is within the purview of the ~morrowind experience~

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

my mod enforces a 'no running' rule indoors that gives you a 5 gold bounty for endangering others. that's not normally an issue because running now greatly reduces fatigue, and hitting 0 fatigue knocks you out for a few hours.

also talking to npcs with a helmet on greatly lowers disposition for being rude

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I like the idea of a mod that punishes your character with permanent reputation penalties for acting like an N’wah. Walking around with a sword drawn, wearing mismatching armour, casting lots of spells in public.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Do you have a relative named Tarhiel by chance?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
No but I always wear that dude's clothes. Love that hat and robe.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Initial impressions of Roscrea:

Not that bad!

The environments are pretty decent actually! Lots of interesting sights, and it's put together as well as vanilla Morrowind. Interiors especially are nicely done. Some places are a little spartan in decoration but I can tell there was thought and intent behind everything. Only 'bug' I found was a single door that I could open to the void.

That being said, I'm really missing having a working map. Some caves/burrows get twisty, though I'd hesitate to call them labyrinthine, and at least one I've gone in was pretty extensive too, with no apparent payoff at the apparent dead end. I noclip'ed my way back out of that one.

Enemies are varied and often come at you in large groups. Some aren't shy about using magick either. Some of them are spongey, kobolds stand out in this regard. Nothing has been overly strong though, just lots of health. Bring lots of repair hammers because you will be wearing down your equipment. I would even go so far as to say that the amount of combat is tedious in some of the burrows I've explored to the point where I was wondering if the intention was to force me to run through, which I ended up doing easily. Loot has been in the form of gems, decent enchanted weapons, and lots and lots of cheap potions. Seriously. I found a chest with like 40 different cheap potions of various effects. I haven't found any overpowered items though. I can see what kind of balancing this guy is going for, it just needs refinement in some aspects. It's definitely geared towards Nerevarine-TB-BM-Complete-Level-Characters in terms of difficulty, fetchers and n'wahs not welcome. Enchanted weapons are a huge boon to have and levitation is probably essential. I had to noclip through one section of cave I fell into with no way out except for levitation.

Quest log guidance is minimal. Right now I'm supposed to be looking for some guy in a very dense, very large forest on a huge hill/small mountain with no guidance other than he's somewhere in the forest, I think. I'm doing a lot of wandering around atm, which is making the absence of a map stand out even more. Aside from a couple of minor grammatical errors the scant little writing I've seen hasn't been bad imo.

Instead of weighing down the page with a ton of images, I've created an album that I'll continually update as I explore and attempt the questline.
Gallery

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Entropy238 posted:

To be a little bit more constructive, what would get me to engage with these systems at high levels would be getting something that makes my character more powerful and do things that they can’t do already. Maybe:

- Access to an expensive spell damage effect that pierces reflect?
- Something crazy like lasers and cloning a la MBT above. Teleporting enemies 100m in the air so they hit the ground and go splat kind of stuff.
- Access to more powerful or more efficient spells
- Maybe access to an effect that makes enemies or certain kinds of enemies completely passive (Daedra, beasts, undead etc ...)
- Access to more passive abilities (maybe a Wish scroll?)/Powers
- Unique summons that are more powerful than the existing summons you get, or which scale. Summons scale so poorly in to high levels and cost so much relative to other spell effects that they’re rarely if ever worth it.
- Access to unique bound items, maybe bound items that scale.
- Access to unique equipment with higher enchantment capacities than the ordinary base equipment.

Sorry this kind of just turned in to a wish list of mods that I want.

I haven’t dabbled with it at all but if you’re making an inscription system why not spin it off in to a separate mod and cake it in to the game world so players can use and experiment with it from level 1. Put scroll making NPCs in to Mages guilds too.

I might make a separate mod, but also include in UL, as was done with Llapp's original inscription mod.

For the unscripted scrolls, other than the vanilla scrolls you can make like Windwalker, I'm going for ones that would cost a hell of a lot or be out of reach for a player spellmaking or enchanting, due to effect cost. So that means incredibly long duration, huge area, or magnitude. Though some of those long duration scrolls could be outdone by juiced-up player-made potions.

I like some of those ideas for scripted scrolls. I'll have to see what's possible. Since the scroll-making menu is now going to be attached to the recipe books, I could make a book specifically for the MWSE addon that will let the player do cool poo poo vanilla scripting can't handle.

As for the specific ideas:
- I'm not sure there is a way to bypass reflect, but I'll look into it, because that would be great.
- I have a scroll that's like a levitation bomb for enemies. The rest would have to be done with MWSE.
- More powerful than spells is the idea. My scrolls are going to need a lot of playtesting though to figure out what's enough power for the player to bother vs. too much.
- I do have some calm bomb scrolls in my list there.
- The only passive abilities I have for scrolls so far are the scripted ward scrolls that automatically cure the player of poison or whatever. I'm not sure about adding powers, since that's a scroll the player would only make once, but UL does have spell tomes that give the player permanent powers.
- Scaling summons is a rad idea, but something I'll give to the Books of Daedric Summoning summons rather than the scrolls.
- This might be worth making a separate mod that adds a script to the bound armor itself. I'd have to think about the best way to make this happen, probably separately from the scrolls. The scrolls though let you bind a whole set at once.
- Also something I wouldn't do for scrolls, but a lot of the armor/clothes UL adds has higher enchanting values than vanilla because it's a wizard mod dammit

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I mean you’re kinda facing the age old consumable problem, which is that people have a tendency to horde scrolls and never use them and when they are actually worth using they forget they exist. Anything you can do to try and break that behaviour would be great. The Witcher 3 dealt with this by making consumables auto-replenish but by being limited in the number of times you could use them per rest (more or less turning them in to additional abilities, like Morrowind’s enchanting system now that I think about it!).

As for specific things:

- Some spell effects in the game auto-bypass reflect iirc, like calm or dispel. Maybe there’s some kind of marker that’s available? Who knows.
- I wouldn’t be concerned about balance. By the time the player is a high level Telvanni Wizard they can already break the game in two.

Anyway, UL is great and whatever you go for should be fun.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Are there any gameplay mods for Morrowind like SPERG or EnaiSaion's mods for Skyrim? I'm familiar with Galsiah's mod, which as I understand eliminates levelling completely. I kind of like leveling, so it's not that interesting to me. But default Bethesda mechanics kind of fall flat, and I'd be interested in livening them up for a new playthrough.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

prometheusbound2 posted:

Are there any gameplay mods for Morrowind like SPERG or EnaiSaion's mods for Skyrim? I'm familiar with Galsiah's mod, which as I understand eliminates levelling completely. I kind of like leveling, so it's not that interesting to me. But default Bethesda mechanics kind of fall flat, and I'd be interested in livening them up for a new playthrough.

I would recommend making your own, you can use the MCP (MW Code Patch) options to uncap attributes and skills, and then change GMSTs (it starts with strings, you have to scroll down a bit) to e.g. require 25 skill increases per level, with major skills counting twice and stats increased by 12-18 per level. It's what I did for my most recent playthrough and it works quite well.

There's a lot of interesting tweaks possible through GMSTs; higher carrying capacity, easier thievery, easier speechcraft, faster movement speed (with higher drain and recovery rates for fatigue, to match the way it acts in Skyrim), etc. Changing them is trivial with the construction set, and you can google what they do quite easily these days, mostly thanks to OpenMW research.

edit: I could share the mod I've made for this playthrough, but there's a couple of patches for other mods there as well so I'd have to look through it and clean it up a bit first.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 18, 2018

Kromgart
Feb 25, 2010

Node posted:

Эмба-5 has done this before :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw6NBvTEdMI

Kromgart fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 19, 2018

Docetic Mountain
Jul 5, 2012
Any mods that fix the awful uv mapping on the vanilla hairs?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I wish there was a way to remove the elder scrolls wiki from my search results and just get UESP.

One thing they do though that's really annoying is separating stuff from Tribunal and Bloodmoon in to different categories from the base game. I'm not sure if this is a hangover from when the expansions were initially released but there's really no reason for them to do that now.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
site:uesp.net ? I have the UESP search set as an option for my Firefox top-right corner searchbox.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Entropy238 posted:

One thing they do though that's really annoying is separating stuff from Tribunal and Bloodmoon in to different categories from the base game. I'm not sure if this is a hangover from when the expansions were initially released but there's really no reason for them to do that now.

I don't mind it. They do it for Shivering Isles and Dragonborn too. (Though not Knights of the Nine or Dawnguard, for whatever reason.) Makes sense given how separate those expansions are - with the exception of the Dark Brotherhood (Tribunal) and the Miraak cultists (Dragonborn), you never even see any of the new enemies on the mainland.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
God modded Morrowind is just so perfect.

I'm doing my usual pure mage playthrough and with the right amount of gameplay adjustments/personal restrictions (i.e. GCD, stingy merchants, making sure I don't have too much gold and minimal meta-gaming) the sense of slow but steady progression is just so satisfying.

Did the mages guild quests in Akamora for Tamriel Rebuilt and they were at least on par with the ones in the vanilla game. They managed to make a collect ingredients quest interesting, and the one about questioning the vampire was great with lots of nice lore. The rewards weren't overpowered either.

Really enjoying how the factions between the Mainland and Vvardenfell are now directly linked. In the end I hope there's much more integration between them, and that quest givers will send you on trips from one to the other etc ... at the moment they still feel very isolated from each other.

cargohills posted:

I don't mind it. They do it for Shivering Isles and Dragonborn too. (Though not Knights of the Nine or Dawnguard, for whatever reason.) Makes sense given how separate those expansions are - with the exception of the Dark Brotherhood (Tribunal) and the Miraak cultists (Dragonborn), you never even see any of the new enemies on the mainland.

Vavrek posted:

site:uesp.net ? I have the UESP search set as an option for my Firefox top-right corner searchbox.

I just don't really see what the point of keeping them separate is when everyone that plays the game now has the expansion. If you want to look up the artefacts for example, you have to look on three different pages. They could probably easily all be on the same page. Anyway, it's not a big deal.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

There's a whole series of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgc8wcbYJNQ

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Entropy238 posted:

God modded Morrowind is just so perfect.

I'm doing my usual pure mage playthrough and with the right amount of gameplay adjustments/personal restrictions (i.e. GCD, stingy merchants, making sure I don't have too much gold and minimal meta-gaming) the sense of slow but steady progression is just so satisfying.

Did the mages guild quests in Akamora for Tamriel Rebuilt and they were at least on par with the ones in the vanilla game. They managed to make a collect ingredients quest interesting, and the one about questioning the vampire was great with lots of nice lore. The rewards weren't overpowered either.

Really enjoying how the factions between the Mainland and Vvardenfell are now directly linked. In the end I hope there's much more integration between them, and that quest givers will send you on trips from one to the other etc ... at the moment they still feel very isolated from each other.

I just don't really see what the point of keeping them separate is when everyone that plays the game now has the expansion. If you want to look up the artefacts for example, you have to look on three different pages. They could probably easily all be on the same page. Anyway, it's not a big deal.

Post that mod list, playa

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

this is nuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDT2JKoznV0

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

https://openmw.org/2018/solution-ai-problems/

https://youtu.be/BYuGEsScpf0

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

It is absolutely crazy. I thought I knew this game's mechanics well but jeez.

Post that mod list, playa

Here's the important ones:

– Hotfusion's economy adjuster. Makes merchants pretty ruthless until you've got a high mercantile skill, and a few other changes to the economy in game. Training is extraordinarily expensive and not something you'll be able to afford till the mid/late game.
– Galsiah's Character Development. Creates an organic levelling system that rewards further specialisation at high levels rather than generalisation.
– BTB Spells Plugin (with my edits). Balances the costs of pretty much every spell effect in the game making everything viable, and provides much more functional default spells. Unfortunately the original author went a bit overboard and started restricting spell effects from enchanting and spellmaking, so I undid all that in the CS and tweaked a few spell effect values to what I thought was fair.
– MCP Changes: Increase Magnitude/Minimum on spells to 500, Quick Casting, Multiple Summons in one spell, Absorb spell reflect fix, Spell selection tweak (select spells by pressing the first letter of them in the menu), various fixes etc ..
– Melian's Teleport Mod (Gives you a multi-mark spell, allows easy companion teleporting for annoying fetch quests)
– Aragon's Cost Reduction mod. Gives you Magicka back when spells are cast proportionate to your skill, up to a maximum of 50% at level 110.

There's also Uvirith's Legacy, Rise of House Telvanni, Tamriel Rebuilt, Morrowind Advanced, Piratelord's Creatures, the Undead and a few others along with graphical mods. My char usually eventually becomes a vampire as well, and for that I use the vampiric concealment which means people don't recognise you as a vamp when you've got a helmet on.

Generally though when playing a Mage in Morrowind the best modification that you can make is to your own behaviour. If you’re someone that’s played this game for a long time, and there isn’t much left to discover, I feel that continued enjoyment of Morrowind is ultimately an exercise in self restraint. The designers of the game clearly did not give a poo poo that there were various things in it that were overpowered (see in-game references to the fortify int exploit, and Tarhiel) so it’s up to you to play in the way that you find the most fun. It's more like painting a picture rather than overcoming a challenge.

A mage in Morrowind gives you the most freedom to interact with and eventually break the game's mechanics. When I play one I don’t ignore the fact that exploits exist, but try to play as a character that’s discovering them within the game world and try to fit that in the concept of a character, including stuff like saving and reloading your game and the console. So, for example:

- I won’t use the fortify intelligence exploit until I’ve got suitably high restoration and alchemy skill.
- I stop killing the majority of NPCs after a certain point, because my illusion and mysticism are high enough that my character has learned to permanently calm people with the soul-trap glitch. Why would you murder people if you don’t have to?
- If I need loot off someone I’ll break their equipment, knock them out then and take it without killing them. I’ll use the console if the item in question is a piece of clothing.
- I’ll always kill undead, ash monsters, Daedra and bad Daedra worshippers.
- I won’t use some of the crazier fortify skill/fortify attribute effects until my restoration skill is really high (around 90).
- I’ll keep my resists/defences at a reasonable level (around 70) so that some things still
- I keep my character's physical defences relatively squishy for most of the game so if I take my eye of the ball I'll get killed
– I've decided that the reflect mechanic for monsters is actually cool and good and I haven't installed mods to get rid of it. It means you can't nuke everything in to oblivion and adds a bit more strategy.

This also adds to the sense of progression. You gots to use ur imagination.

simmering
Nov 12, 2017

Stuporstar posted:

You also get a little handheld teleportation crystal to Caldera if you're using Propylons 1.3 rather than the Master Index mod.

But that still doesn't solve the problem of RoHT cutting you off almost entirely from the western half of the island. I mean, an insular Telvanni maybe a more typical Telvanni, but not a forward thinking one. RoHT really needs to let the player choose what kind of Telvanni they want to be, not dictate it to them (and literally reward the player with a dunce cap for choosing otherwise).

I've seen so many dumb mods characterize the Telvanni as Eeeeevil when they're really chaotic neutral on the ol D&D chart. Hell most Telvanni players, and I've heard from a lot, just want to mind their own business and do cool mage poo poo. I had players asking me for ways to free the slaves first thing after I brushed up UI and released my first crappy beta of Uvirith's Legacy, so adding more Good options became a priority.

I've always used RoHT and UL together so I didn't realise it was your mod that added freeing the slaves. I think your characterization of the Telvanni is spot on, I mean morality aside why use slaves when summons are so much cooler and easier to do when you're a magister. It might make sense for telvanni traditionalists who are stuck in their ways or 300 year old magisters, but the average Telvanni player is probably playing a much younger more modern character. And even when you talk to other masters in game most of them don't seem to really support or oppose Gothrens traditionalist ways, they just want to persue their own affairs/power and care only if the archmagister will benefit or hinder them.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
It's also really weird because the entire Telvanni quest chain is you being put forward and advanced quickly up the ranks as part of a political scheme as the progressive faction's candidate?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Anyone here able to help with an MGE XE issue? I've installed Morrowind for the first time on a new computer and am trying to install MGE XE as my first mod. When I try to generate distant land I immediately get an error "Failed to load default ground texture D3DXERR_INVALIDDATA: Invalid data (-2005529767)". I already Google-searched the issue and frustratingly a handful of other people have posted about the same problem but apparently none of them ever got an answer.

EDIT: Just to get some common issues out of the way I should specify that this is the disc version of the game, not the Steam version, I'm running it as an administrator and the game is not installed to Program Files. I know you're supposed to run the game at least once before installing MGEXE and have already done so. MGEXE version is the latest one available on Nexus.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 2, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I did a moddy morrowind install for the first time in years and it's so great, except NPCs are randomly engaging me in dialogue when I get near them. Is there a specific mod or type of mod that's known to cause this? Kinda annoying.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mountaineer posted:

Anyone here able to help with an MGE XE issue? I've installed Morrowind for the first time on a new computer and am trying to install MGE XE as my first mod. When I try to generate distant land I immediately get an error "Failed to load default ground texture D3DXERR_INVALIDDATA: Invalid data (-2005529767)". I already Google-searched the issue and frustratingly a handful of other people have posted about the same problem but apparently none of them ever got an answer.

EDIT: Just to get some common issues out of the way I should specify that this is the disc version of the game, not the Steam version, I'm running it as an administrator and the game is not installed to Program Files. I know you're supposed to run the game at least once before installing MGEXE and have already done so. MGEXE version is the latest one available on Nexus.

is it THIS latest one? https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/26348/?tab=files

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I did a moddy morrowind install for the first time in years and it's so great, except NPCs are randomly engaging me in dialogue when I get near them. Is there a specific mod or type of mod that's known to cause this? Kinda annoying.

yeah bad ones, post ur load order to a pastebin or something

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

No, it's this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/41102/
If that isn't the latest version then I'll try the one you posted.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mountaineer posted:

No, it's this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/41102/
If that isn't the latest version then I'll try the one you posted.

Mine is the newest one by about 3 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45557