Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Willo567 posted:

With everyone freaking the gently caress out about Bolton, I have to ask: what the gently caress can we do about it?

Move to New Zealand and become Peter Thiel's personal bodyguard blood supply.

e: tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
what's the last time that "a highly placed official" wasn't trump, jared, or ivanka, i wonder

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/974468508074565632

Gone by noon then?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Ze Pollack posted:

what's the last time that "a highly placed official" wasn't trump, jared, or ivanka, i wonder

Well there's that John Barron fella

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Willo567 posted:

With everyone freaking the gently caress out about Bolton, I have to ask: what the gently caress can we do about it? Yeah, it would be a huge loving disaster, but there's not a whole lot we can do to change the situation unfortunately

Not too long ago (or just yesterday), I just stopped giving a gently caress. There's nothing we can do about it

you are the one freaking out, always.

i am confident that even if bolton gets in, he will be completely ineffective and accomplish nothing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Maybe McMaster has serious dirt on Trump.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I wish I was bisexual because it would double my dating-chances from zero to none.

Don't sell yourself short, you're somebody's fetish

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Maybe McMaster has serious dirt on Trump.

I suspect it's mostly that trump hates dong what the news says he's doing.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Vladimir Putin posted:

Taylor Swift has a significant body of work some of it very good some OK. Jepsen’s OK but isn’t anywhere near Swift in terms of body of work let alone stuff that’s good. You can’t even compare the two.

Taylor Swift's body of work is garbage. Her lyrics read like the ones I wrote when I was 16 and learning guitar in a literal psych ward and despite playing numerous instruments I am by no means a music prodigy.

Jepsen is better by every loving metric, I can't believe anyone interested in songwriting would argue otherwise. Whereas Jepsen is tongue in cheek, Swift plays juvenile love/revenge and Madonna/whore completely straight. Her lyrics are often sexist and never forget how she used racism to her advantage and completely lied about a black man "stealing her success" despite, you know, telling him she loved the song to his face (on the phone) on camera.

Volkerball posted:

Kanye went and visited Trump at Trump tower lol

He was having a literal mental breakdown. He went into treatment basically the next day. Blood on The Leaves is the real Ye. I refuse to believe otherwise. The Kardashians did some Get Out poo poo to him.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Maybe McMaster discovered the secret to keeping his job: Trump's abject fear of confrontation and unwillingness to personally fire someone. Perhaps McMaster directly asked the president if the rumors were true that he was gone, and personally appealed to him that he wanted to stay and enjoyed working with him, etc.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

skylined! posted:

i am confident that even if bolton gets in, he will be completely ineffective and accomplish nothing.

while I agree, remember that generals on the field can basically make their own calls in Trump's Army, so if some hawkish fucko in the middle east hears Bolton cooing into his ear about MOABing Tehran, he can probably just up and do it at this point

brockan
Mar 9, 2014

skylined! posted:

What makes you say that?

He caters to Trump's worse possible instincts (and this is largely why he's getting the job). Instincts that he has been clinging to for the past few weeks. And now, Bolton will have the privilege of being the one to whisper in his ear whenever it's time to make a decision.

I'm not arguing here. I'm legitimately curious.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

skylined! posted:

so didja google him or are you actually john bolton posting on somethingawful dot com

Soul Eater lusts for war and death, it's not Tir's fault.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Somebody changed their mind in the last 5 minutes, guaranteed.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

evilweasel posted:

I suspect it's mostly that trump hates dong what the news says he's doing.

I have it on good authority that Trump LOVES dong.

Edit: and Carly has a song about calling me and one about liking me. So that's two songs.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

John Bolton can just shave his mustache

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I wish I was bisexual because it would double my dating-chances from zero to none.

when I changed my tinder profile just women to both men and women I went from 9 matches to 300 in like a week.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I love how apparently Donny was being prodded to make some sweeping changes all at once to try and hide something/turn the page. And this is how he "rips off the bandaid", exactly the opposite way of what the saying suggests he do.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Al Borland Corp. posted:

John Bolton can just shave his mustache

He would have done that by now if he was willing, its not a state secret that Trump hates it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Giving your contact information to someone you've met and felt like you had a connection with is not crazy, Carly, it's normal human interaction

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Koalas March posted:

Taylor Swift's body of work is garbage. Her lyrics read like the ones I wrote when I was 16 and learning guitar in a literal psych ward and despite playing numerous instruments I am by no means a music prodigy.

Jepsen is better by every loving metric, I can't believe anyone interested in songwriting would argue otherwise. Whereas Jepsen is tongue in cheek, Swift plays juvenile love/revenge and Madonna/whore completely straight. Her lyrics are often sexist and never forget how she used racism to her advantage and completely lied about a black man "stealing her success" despite, you know, telling him she loved the song to his face (on the phone) on camera.

He was having a literal mental breakdown. He went into treatment basically the next day. Blood on The Leaves is the real Ye. I refuse to believe otherwise. The Kardashians did some Get Out poo poo to him.

Uh if we did not have Taylor Swift then we would not have gotten Ryan Adams cover of 1989.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rigel posted:

He would have done that by now if he was willing, its not a state secret that Trump hates it.

But he does have a state secret tattooed under there

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Giving your contact information to someone you've met and felt like you had a connection with is not crazy, Carly, it's normal human interaction

Sounds fake.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
McMaster is immune from being fired so long as Cernovich keeps plotting to get him fired. Cernovich is a top Fail Man, everything he does backfires.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

brockan posted:

What makes you say that?

He caters to Trump's worse possible instincts (and this is largely why he's getting the job). Instincts that he has been clinging to for the past few weeks. And now, Bolton will have the privilege of being the one to whisper in his ear whenever it's time to make a decision.

I'm not arguing here. I'm legitimately curious.

because of the position. everyone would have every right to go pants on head crazy if bolton was to become secretary of defense. that is not the case, at least at the moment.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Also Kanye was completely right when he said Beyonce should've won that VMA, You Belong with Meeeee is unadulterated Nice Girl (tm) crap.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Hey guys someone just posted this to my fb wall should I be afeared?

quote:

David Guthrie stop or else you are going to disappear. Work within the system to change the things which you do not like or desire. Also, you have no structure or agency. Get your situation together. Use that brain to earn that PhD and change the world with that - within the system. You are not getting younger and your body is wearing out on you. Change gears before it is too late. You are being watched and what comes next will not be pretty. Stop advocating for tribes that may be skeptical of you. Improve your own human capital and get some capital. I hate neoliberalism just as much as any aware person but it’s what we have and we change things within our own space. Be careful and come back to us.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008
With McMaster being ousted, Trump really must be delusional about believing that people are just lining up and fighting for a position to work in this Administration. Is no one seriously trying to talk him out of this? Because the constant firing certainly doesn't look good, especially when everyone else left is spending money like an oligarchy. I feel kind of uneasy that Trump is purposely trying to fold the government into as much of a dictatorship as possible.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Mattingly! I thought I told you to trim those sideburns! Go home! You're off the team! FOR GOOD!!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

lol

https://twitter.com/dandrezner/status/974449667407785984

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Uglycat posted:

Hello David, we are watching you.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

skylined! posted:

because of the position. everyone would have every right to go pants on head crazy if bolton was to become secretary of defense. that is not the case, at least at the moment.

Bolton isn't in the running for SoD, it's National Security Adviser. The thing that is scary about that isn't so much that he has real control over the military, but he will have an insane, apocalyptic bloodlust and the ear of a President willing to use nuclear weapons.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Hastings posted:

With McMaster being ousted, Trump really must be delusional about believing that people are just lining up and fighting for a position to work in this Administration. Is no one seriously trying to talk him out of this? Because the constant firing certainly doesn't look good, especially when everyone else left is spending money like an oligarchy. I feel kind of uneasy that Trump is purposely trying to fold the government into as much of a dictatorship as possible.

Wasn't McMaster only picked because he couldn't say no?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Rex-Goliath posted:

If anyone is interested in this topic there’s a thing called the Fermi Paradox that’s fun to read and think about : https://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html

This was a fun read and oddly comforting. Thank you.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Uglycat posted:

your mother is concerned

Zophar posted:

Bolton isn't in the running for SoD, it's National Security Adviser. The thing that is scary about that isn't so much that he has real control over the military, but he will have an insane, apocalyptic bloodlust and the ear of a President willing to use nuclear weapons.

yes i am aware of the position he is being considered for, currently held by a credentialed general who is being protecting by other credentialed generals. bolton is not particularly scary as the nsa. he would be as secdef.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Kilroy posted:

The steps from where crows are now, to a crow-based intergalactic civilization, are more likely than the jump from single-celled to multicelluar, eukaryotic life.

None of the stuff you're bringing up could act as a great filter because a great filter has to be something that wipes out (or prevents from ever evolving) virtually all intelligent, technological species. Yeah, some intelligent life will not be social, and so never develop civilization and culture to pass on methods and discoveries and become a technological species. Some otherwise intelligent species will not evolve physically in such a way where tool use comes naturally (there are probably a few such species on Earth already, in fact). And some technological species will develop nuclear weapons and destroy themselves. But none of those things are such a certainty that they will always happen. Unless you can prove that intelligent life is necessarily asocial, that intelligence necessarily precludes physical evolution leading to tool use, and that any species which discovers nuclear fission must, therefore, destroy itself, then those things can't be a great filter. It is not nearly enough to say that a thing will kill off or prevent 99% of intelligent species, because even then we should see evidence of life everywhere, perhaps even up to the scale of the physical structure of entire galaxies.

To put things even more into perspective: the jump from single-celled life to multicelluar life on Earth took about 20% of the current age of the universe, and about 60% of the current age of the Sun. For about 60% of the life of our star up to this point, there was life on Earth and it was single-celled.

Yeah, it's almost impossible that the great filter is ahead of us. We are clearly less than 200 years from being able to make a von neumann probe. The idea that every species ever ends between 'now" and then is pretty silly. Even if every species has their world ending nuclear war and one managed to get theirs 50 years late they still would have a chance to fill the galaxy with their stuff.

The great filter is almost certainly behind us and it's hundreds of times more likely to be the jump to complex multicellular life than anything else. That is the only step that happened at any speed other than 'the absolute fastest possible speed", which indicates that it's the only step that took any luck to get a lucky roll on the dice. If we are in the top 1% fastest going from space horses to space cars that is a tiny blip that barely matters, if we are in the top 75% for multicellular life that pushes most planets that exist out of the running. Since it's more billions of years than the clock on most planets has had.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe he hates the mustache but Boltons are Donald's favorite kind of boobs

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/974470830750097408

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/974474818971144192

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Was this Shucks saying this or did Donny see it on his quote of the day calender?

• Locked thread