Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

XIII posted:

Since seeing them on Sunday, I've been going back through older Architects. gently caress, Hollow Crown is so much better than I ever gave it credit. The Here and Now is their weakest album by a million miles, but I've given it a couple spins and it's not terrible if you just pretend it's a different band.

Hollow Crown is what got me into Architects. It's a real solid album, but I'm not sure they'll ever top Lost Forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Venue in my hometown posted a live Facebook video of Every Time I Die who's opening for Motionless in White. I'm hoping it's just the side they were shooting from, but it looks like everyone is just standing there.

How do you just stand there for ETID?!? :mad:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

XIII posted:

Since seeing them on Sunday, I've been going back through older Architects. gently caress, Hollow Crown is so much better than I ever gave it credit. The Here and Now is their weakest album by a million miles, but I've given it a couple spins and it's not terrible if you just pretend it's a different band.

Early Grave is still their best song

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Dango Bango posted:

Venue in my hometown posted a live Facebook video of Every Time I Die who's opening for Motionless in White. I'm hoping it's just the side they were shooting from, but it looks like everyone is just standing there.

Because they're Motionless in White fans

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dango Bango posted:

Bigger, more important question is why ETID always tours with the worst loving bands if they aren't the headliners.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Does Mathcore go in here? I don't really read this thread but this album is great, the vocalist moves between a ton of different styles and the music hits that catchy but weird sweet spot nicely. There's a really cool bit at 6:45 where he morphs from a hardcore shout to a death growl, takes it up closer to a black metal shriek and then drops back into the hardcore shout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b4lLX2JY_Y

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Bigger, more important question is why ETID always tours with the worst loving bands if they aren't the headliners.

I was going to say this as well. They're always touring and it's always with lovely scene bands. I've only seen them at festivals for that reason.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Henchman of Santa posted:

I was going to say this as well. They're always touring and it's always with lovely scene bands. I've only seen them at festivals for that reason.

When they headline they're great, shows sell out, and they usually have great opening bands (even if I don't necessarily like them, it's people like Knocked Loose.)

If they're opening, it's always for somebody like Atreyu for Motionless In White and it's infuriating.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

When they headline they're great, shows sell out, and they usually have great opening bands (even if I don't necessarily like them, it's people like Knocked Loose.)

If they're opening, it's always for somebody like Atreyu for Motionless In White and it's infuriating.

Exactly. That said, I caught them a few times last year and, as much as I love their headlining sets, I don't know if I'll ever enjoy anything as much as when they were doing support for Taking Back Sunday. You could tell who was there for ETID and who was there TBS. TBS fans kept having to have the security crew lift them over the barricade so they could get away from the pit. (not out. just away)

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
While we're on the subject… I loved Counterparts' release last year and would really like to catch them play that set. But this is too high a price. Wtf, guys? :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Beelzebozo posted:

While we're on the subject… I loved Counterparts' release last year and would really like to catch them play that set. But this is too high a price. Wtf, guys? :(

Sandwiching them in-between those two bands is like some sort of cruel joke.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Beelzebozo posted:

wow, gently caress that

that may be the 2nd show ever that id walk out of early

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

kumba posted:

that may be the 2nd show ever that id walk out of early

Really?! Now you have me curious which of us is in the majority on this. I’d say I leave about 30–40% of the shows I go to before the headliner plays. I feel like a lot of bills are band I’ve heard of into band I like into band I love into band I couldn’t care less about. Like once I saw Arsis and Necrophagist open for God Forbid. What does that fan Venn diagram even look like?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Beelzebozo posted:

Really?! Now you have me curious which of us is in the majority on this. I’d say I leave about 30–40% of the shows I go to before the headliner plays. I feel like a lot of bills are band I’ve heard of into band I like into band I love into band I couldn’t care less about. Like once I saw Arsis and Necrophagist open for God Forbid. What does that fan Venn diagram even look like?

Ha, I was about to post something similar when I saw that response myself. I've left quite a few shows early because I have no interest in the headliner. (Beartooth I'm looking at you. After ETID as well.)

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
if i'm paying to see a show, i'm gonna stick around for the whole thing unless it's just egregiously terrible

the only show i have ever walked out of was a lamb of god headliner show at the masquerade in tampa. this was before i had ever listened to anything from them other than laid to rest and I really couldn't stand his vocal style at all

i'm struggling to remember who else was even on that bill

e: it was Throwdown and KSE opening, with Fear Factory and Lamb of God headlining

http://bravewords.com/news/lamb-of-god-fear-factory-new-dates-confirmed-for-us-trek

kumba fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 16, 2018

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

kumba posted:

the only show i have ever walked out of was a lamb of god headliner show at the masquerade in tampa. this was before i had ever listened to anything from them other than laid to rest and I really couldn't stand his vocal style at all

i'm struggling to remember who else was even on that bill

e: it was Throwdown and KSE opening, with Fear Factory and Lamb of God headlining

http://bravewords.com/news/lamb-of-god-fear-factory-new-dates-confirmed-for-us-trek

Holy poo poo, dude, I hope you were real young. Lamb of God is the best band on that list by half.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Beelzebozo posted:

Holy poo poo, dude, I hope you were real young. Lamb of God is the best band on that list by half.

i was 17 yeah

couldn't stand LoG back then, i seem to remember as well that the acoustics for whatever reason during the beginning of their set were also ear piercing and awful (and this was before I knew to wear ear plugs because I was a dumb kid) so yeah I definitely left after like 2 songs

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Not sure if this goes here but I've been a Sevendust fan since I was a kid and that may be what's blinding me but I stand by that their new single bangs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avjkSoRSbk

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Beelzebozo posted:

That just means you need to like better bands

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Beelzebozo posted:

also i would totally be into that set list. love all 3 of those bands

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Dango Bango posted:

I've left quite a few shows early because I have no interest in the headliner. (Beartooth I'm looking at you. After ETID as well.)

Same scenario during the same tour.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I saw Protest the Hero, Battlecross (I think) and Intervals and I left Intervals' set to go get pizza across the street :suicide:

In my defense this was during the brief period where Intervals had a (bad) vocalist and weren't just "let's all stare in awe at Aaron Marshall"

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'm old and haven't been to a live show in way too long :(

That said, I effectively always stayed around for everything. Usually for me though it was the other way around - I was there for the headliner, and I would listen to the opening acts even if I didn't like them.

The amount of times I've walked out on an opening band, or left before the headliner, could probably be counted on one hand.

Edit: that said, the internet is more of a thing these days. If I had checked out the band beforehand and knew I really didn't care for them, that'd probably affect things. "Back in my day" that was how I heard new bands a lot of the time.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
cross posting from the metal thread: it's not technically core but i feel like most of you would really dig the new rivers of nihil if you haven't heard it yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjzL6-3vACs

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I'm on my third playthrough of that today. It's extremely good. Not -core, but you should listen to it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

kumba posted:

cross posting from the metal thread: it's not technically core but i feel like most of you would really dig the new rivers of nihil if you haven't heard it yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjzL6-3vACs

Saw that pop up on my music streaming service and dug the cover enough that I was going to give it a shot later. Guess this is a sign to just go ahead and listen now.

EDIT: sure as poo poo didn't expect to hear sax in the middle of that. put a big 'ol smile on my face

XIII fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 16, 2018

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Went to see In Flames as direct support for Soulfly. It was either Clayman or just pre Reroute In Flames which is when I found them so I was happy as poo poo to see them, but fuuuuuuuck a Soulfly. Left as soon as In Flames wrapped up.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Wamsutta posted:

Went to see In Flames as direct support for Soulfly. It was either Clayman or just pre Reroute In Flames which is when I found them so I was happy as poo poo to see them, but fuuuuuuuck a Soulfly. Left as soon as In Flames wrapped up.

Reroute's alright but I'm gonna put out a Nuclear Take and say that Come Clarity was a loving banger (and also their last listenable album)

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

You guys aren't going to enough shows if you don't leave a majority of them early or get there late.

Every Time I Die supports bigger, scenecore bands on tour so they can get a bigger fanbase (duh).

New Sevendust is catchy and cool. They're probably the best nu-metal band that ever came out. Change my mind.

Unearth is cool and good. I'm glad they're on a new label about to make more music. Century Media is home to Caliban and At the Gates who both sound like poo poo now but whatever. Acacia Strain signed to Rise (home to a plethora of bullshit bands) and didn't change their formula; still writing heavy music.

Parkway Drive is :laffo:

To contribute something other than my own lovely opinion, I've been jamming the loving hell out of this, it's so good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4K9cfzdmkI

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I go to tons of shows and I think the number I've left early can be counted on one hand. I'm not plopping a bunch of money down to see the bands I like play abbreviated sets.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

If the band you wanna see is headlining, obviously stay. If the band you wanna see is not headlining, and you don't care about the headliner, obviously don't stay.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

If the band you wanna see is headlining, obviously stay. If the band you wanna see is not headlining, and you don't care about the headliner, obviously don't stay.

If I don't want to see the headlining band then the band I actually like will probably do a headliner for a lower price.

Also the bands I like don't tour with godawful bands very often so it's a moot point.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I guess tickets are just cheap in Denver or something. If a show is under $50, I leave when I want. I'll eat $10-20 worth of the cost versus standing through an hour of a band I don't like. I already did my part to support the band(s) I like. If I'm dropping over $50, then it's almost certain that I stay, simply because I'm there for the headliner

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Fifty loving dollars for a show??

Here's a list of some recent shows I bought tickets for and what it cost:

Trap Them - $12
Nails - $20
Antichrist Demoncore - $16 (7 Seconds headlined, I left)
Code Orange - $15
Nails - $32 (part of a big one-day fest thing)
Deafheaven - $20
Every Time I Die - $20 (Beartooth headlined, I left)
Magrudergrind/Incendiary - $12

Who the gently caress are you seeing where you're paying over $50 for a show? It's not worth it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

$50 was an extreme example. Most shows around here will run you $15-35, after fees, with basically any -core show being firmly planted in the low end of that. But sometimes I want to see a concert at Red Rocks and I shell out more.

What I'm saying is, "but I spent money!" isn't reason enough for me to stay at a show. The fact that the bands we discuss in here are cheap (as you listed) only further reinforces that

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

XIII posted:

What I'm saying is, "but I spent money!" isn't reason enough for me to stay at a show.

Gotcha gotcha gotcha. My mistake. Yeah, it's easy to leave a show when it's dirt cheap. For me, it's more about how much enjoyment I'm getting out of the experience than the fact that I spent money. Would rather cut out early and grab diner food with friends during some doink rear end band than stay there to get more "value" out of the show.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
As recently as two years ago I was a guy who had to get as much "value" out of my dollar as possible, down to seeing the local openers if they were even remotely tolerable. Now I'm tired all the time and lazy and get sick of staring at my cellphone with lovely reception in between sets of bands nobody cares about.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

As recently as two years ago I was a guy who had to get as much "value" out of my dollar as possible, down to seeing the local openers if they were even remotely tolerable. Now I'm tired all the time and lazy and get sick of staring at my cellphone with lovely reception in between sets of bands nobody cares about.

Are you my alt account?!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ShoogaSlim posted:

Century Media is home to Caliban and At the Gates who both sound like poo poo now but whatever.

Caliban sure, but the last At the Gates album sounded pretty much like the same poo poo they released 20 years before so???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Now I'm tired all the time and lazy and get sick of staring at my cellphone with lovely reception in between sets of bands nobody cares about.

Thread title

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Caliban sure, but the last At the Gates album sounded pretty much like the same poo poo they released 20 years before so???

Disclaimer: Never really into At the Gates anyway. In Flames >