Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Cryptonight ASICs are real, 40x GPU efficiency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
RIP cpu mining. You did me well.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

12k? insane

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

:dong::dong::dong:

How long until GPUs crash?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

:dong::dong::dong:

How long until GPUs crash?

Monero has said they'll hardfork (edit: in 12 days) to get them off the network, hence the huge "NO REFUNDS" on Bitmain's order page. I think it's logistically impossible to do that regularly, though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

diapermeat posted:

12k? insane

$12k and does not include the power supply.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Lockback posted:

$12k and does not include the power supply.

For a badly engineered box with cables jutting out, with no warranty, that will become obsolete anytime the devs feel like changing a few lines of code, and all it does is burn electricity and add up some numbers to make different numbers

Edit: oh and they’re probably “testing them” right now ie burning the poo poo out of them “to make sure they work”, oh these difficulty increases are just a coincidence because clearly everyone wants to get into the Monero action, the drug currency of the future

Awesome

What’s the preorder link again?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
If it's anything like previous ASICs it probably also spews all kinds of RF noise and the FCC may track you down and politely ask you to turn it off

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

For a badly engineered box with cables jutting out, with no warranty, that will become obsolete anytime the devs feel like changing a few lines of code, and all it does is burn electricity and add up some numbers to make different numbers

Edit: oh and they’re probably “testing them” right now ie burning the poo poo out of them “to make sure they work”, oh these difficulty increases are just a coincidence because clearly everyone wants to get into the Monero action, the drug currency of the future

Awesome

What’s the preorder link again?

We's seen a 2x rise in hasrate for Monero in the last 2-3 months. They've probably already been testing them for a month or two. :getin:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I’m half asleep, so I want to double check with the thread that I’m not missing something obvious.

Just moved 6 1070s (3 EVGA SC2 and 3 EVGA FTW) and 2 1080 tis (one EVGA SC and one MSI Armor) over to a Biostar TB250-BTC+ motherboard; all GPUs detect in Windows10 and in NiceHash, however only the 1070s or only the 1080tis will mine at any given moment or NiceHash will cycle through connecting to whatever algorithm over and over with no result.

Any ideas?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

tehinternet posted:

I’m half asleep, so I want to double check with the thread that I’m not missing something obvious.

Just moved 6 1070s (3 EVGA SC2 and 3 EVGA FTW) and 2 1080 tis (one EVGA SC and one MSI Armor) over to a Biostar TB250-BTC+ motherboard; all GPUs detect in Windows10 and in NiceHash, however only the 1070s or only the 1080tis will mine at any given moment or NiceHash will cycle through connecting to whatever algorithm over and over with no result.

Any ideas?

Iron filings help the electrons move better, maybe sprinkle some around there. Also they ward off faerie folk?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

tehinternet posted:

Any ideas?

Are you running one client per card? I've done that before and it works just fine, but only on two cards, might get weirder above that.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

tehinternet posted:

Any ideas?

Sell all but one of your video cards on eBay.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Kazinsal posted:

He has 8 cards. Your advice would mean losing out on the total mining revenue of about 64 cents/day.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Kazinsal posted:

Don’t be foolish.

Tehinternet, I suggest you buy my 1070 SC2 and maybe that’ll solve the problem.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

tehinternet posted:

Any ideas?

You're being punished for destroying the planet, sell all but one video card and maybe you'll save yourself

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the limit for consumer Nvidia drivers is 6 cards at once. Move to 4 1070s and 2 1080 Tis and see if that works.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

QuarkJets posted:

You're being punished for destroying the planet, sell all but one video card and maybe you'll save yourself

This actually makes sense.

But you see it is cold now so climate change is a myth! Checkmate libtards!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I’m starting to see more cards being sold, perhaps the moment has arrived ? How’s the mining profit these days?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Are you using Windows 10, build 1709? Otherwise there is a limit to the number of cards you can have working.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

How’s the mining profit these days?

Bad. A lot of people are starting to turn their machines off entirely.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

DrDork posted:

It seems like growth has slowed

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
It begins. Let's see the rollercoaster go down hands up everyone!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

DrDork posted:

Sad, I turned mine off a few weeks ago too, but no regrets, got a bunch of free burritos

Risky Bisquick posted:

It seems like growth has slowed

Difficulty too high, and these new Eth ASICS announced, not very encouraging

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Checked out nicehash today, USD $1.40/day on my 1070 before power, which is not even a $10/month profit after power.

poo poo crashing just in time for NV's next gen.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Palladium posted:

Checked out nicehash today, USD $1.40/day on my 1070 before power, which is not even a $10/month profit after power.

there's nothing to suggest that nvidia is going to release new consumer graphics cards this year. they could milk their 1080 series for another 3 years and AMD still wouldn't be able to match

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Lube banjo posted:

there's nothing to suggest that nvidia is going to release new consumer graphics cards this year.

The numerous reports of Pascal production having been halted does rather scream that they're preparing something else. If they weren't, they'd be happily churning them out en masse--there's tons of demand for their cards, after all.

The real questions are (1) when will they drop, (2) will they drop in quantities large enough to satisfy demand, and (3) what sort of price shenanigans are we going to see.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Palladium posted:

Read rumors somewhere that the rumors about it being soon are untrue and the trumor is it'll be June-August. Ish. C'est la vie :/

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Lube banjo posted:

there's nothing to suggest that nvidia is going to release new consumer graphics cards this year. they could milk their 1080 series for another 3 years and AMD still wouldn't be able to match

It would make more economic sense to release a new card and get people to upgrade rather than just do nothing, keep in mind that gaming is still Nvidia's highest revenue segment.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Palladium posted:

How much do you pay for power?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they could just rebrand the the 1080 as the 1170 and so on and AMD still couldnt touch them. Miners would suffer but gamers would be happy

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
$1.08 / day

Has the mass GPU selloff begun yet

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The serious players are using ASICs, the bag-holders are still HODL'ing.

lol if you actually believed that whole "GPUs will always be around" bullshit that some of the self-interested miners were spouting, it's been obvious for at least a month that the jig's up, have fun flipping on ebay this month

or I guess maybe the ASICs are all a lie, what even is a Bitmain, who can say

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 18, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

The serious players are using ASICs, the bag-holders are still HODL'ing.

lol if you actually believed that whole "GPUs will always be around" bullshit that some of the self-interested miners were spouting, it's been obvious for at least a month that the jig's up, have fun flipping on ebay this month

or I guess maybe the ASICs are all a lie, what even is a Bitmain, who can say

I’m pretty happy to sleep without the whirr of the GPU fans now.
It was pretty great when i was getting 8-10 dollars a day and heating the room during winter, for clicking a button. I mean it would’ve been almost fiscally irresponsible not to, I had the gaming machine for it (and the advanced technical knowledge to install an application on windows and use the internet)

I tried the miner yesterday and it’s just sad memories. It was like 2-3 dollars a day BEFORE power, for two cards. I’ve got solar, but I believe such a low amount won’t even cover the wear on components. Most miners have got to be quitting, unless they’re big believers.

And yet... Absolutely no regrets on the funny money year of 2017. My 1080ti cards paid for themselves, they’re working just fine, I got the money out in filthy fiat with a lil profit, and still have a bit of bitcoin and other assorted dumb cryptos in case it comes back up.

If another summer of Crypto ever happens I’ll gladly turn on my machine and even buy new cards for it. I’m a gamer, so these aren’t going to waste(ok, using them for games is technically a huge waste but you get my point, you don’t have to be an rear end in a top hat about my hobbies)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gaming brings enjoyment. Not a huge waste.

Wasting energy for nothing = huge waste.

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe folding@home or something that might lead to a cure you'd pay anything for a few decades from now? Might be a decent use for your stockpiles of hardware.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bloody Antlers posted:

Maybe folding@home or something that might lead to a cure you'd pay anything for a few decades from now? Might be a decent use for your stockpiles of hardware.

That would be altruistic, which is antithetical to most of libertarianism.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkJets posted:

That would be altruistic, which is antithetical to most of libertarianism.

Well you see, private charities and
:goonsay:

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bloody Antlers posted:

This post got me to run F@H on my PC again. I made 300 dollars from bitcoins just using the PC I already had, but I'd easily pay 300,000 for a cure to MS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Bloody Antlers posted:

That’s not a bad idea, I used to play with F@H when it started but it was freakin slow and obnoxious to use, I guess I’ll look into it again

• Locked thread