Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

But he does have a state secret tattooed under there
Incorrect. The reason he doesn't shave it is because he has a moustache tattooed underneath it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

If trump said that I will eat a Trump steak cooked trump style

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, it's almost impossible that the great filter is ahead of us. We are clearly less than 200 years from being able to make a von neumann probe. The idea that every species ever ends between 'now" and then is pretty silly. Even if every species has their world ending nuclear war and one managed to get theirs 50 years late they still would have a chance to fill the galaxy with their stuff.

The great filter is almost certainly behind us and it's hundreds of times more likely to be the jump to complex multicellular life than anything else. That is the only step that happened at any speed other than 'the absolute fastest possible speed", which indicates that it's the only step that took any luck to get a lucky roll on the dice. If we are in the top 1% fastest going from space horses to space cars that is a tiny blip that barely matters, if we are in the top 75% for multicellular life that pushes most planets that exist out of the running. Since it's more billions of years than the clock on most planets has had.

A great filter would be necessarily impossible to foresee.

Consider the possibility that every planet in the galaxy that generated multicellular life eventually evolved a thinking being (just like you!) who thought their species would soon have a chance to escape to the stars.

And then they elected their Trump and shortly thereafter cleansed their planet of all its chances

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Blurred posted:

You should wish you were demi-sexual, because you'd still have zero dating opportunities but at least you'd be able to lord it over everyone else by pretending you were somehow superior by not having sex with anyone.

Really behind but as someone who recently figured out he was Demi the last thing I am able to do is lord it over people. "Haha! I have utterly no ability to have meaningless sex! The only gratification I get out of most social encounters is conversation and alcohol! I come across as cold and aloof to anybody who is interested in me because I actively recoil if someone expresses sexual interest in me unless we've had a half hour conversation and developed some kind of connection beyond physical attraction!"

*edit

In rereading this I've realized this comes off as false humility. To clarify, one night stands are something I really wish I could have because I have a very bad habit of Serial Monogamy that leads to toxic relationships because my need for emotional connection leads to the emotions that lead to long term relationships that I'm not really able to commit to but my own mental/emotional BS of being terrified of hurting people leads me to staying in those relationships far too long. Before this turns into even more of an E/N whine, I'll close off by saying that this is not a "I'm so deep and awesome" thing, it's a "I'm emotionally broken and can't create no-strings intimacy no matter how hard I try" thing.

Renaissance Spam fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 16, 2018

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I think it's a joke.

So 4 if you take out Stephanie Miller and Jade O Keefe.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

"If sheep and goats had gods, they would look like sheep and goats" - Heraclitus

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

"All things are a'flowin, Sage Heraclitus says, but a tawdry cheapness shall reign throughout our days."

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MelissaStetten/status/974440625520066560
https://twitter.com/MelissaStetten/status/974396840593391616
https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/974395866697076736
https://twitter.com/owillis/status/974396867852292101

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/974475881287766017

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, it's almost impossible that the great filter is ahead of us. We are clearly less than 200 years from being able to make a von neumann probe. The idea that every species ever ends between 'now" and then is pretty silly. Even if every species has their world ending nuclear war and one managed to get theirs 50 years late they still would have a chance to fill the galaxy with their stuff.

The great filter is almost certainly behind us and it's hundreds of times more likely to be the jump to complex multicellular life than anything else. That is the only step that happened at any speed other than 'the absolute fastest possible speed", which indicates that it's the only step that took any luck to get a lucky roll on the dice. If we are in the top 1% fastest going from space horses to space cars that is a tiny blip that barely matters, if we are in the top 75% for multicellular life that pushes most planets that exist out of the running. Since it's more billions of years than the clock on most planets has had.
Well, I tend to agree, but while I can't comment on the possibility of it, I wouldn't discount that we're living in essentially a post-apocalyptic universe filled with self-replicating semi-sentient organisms / machines with the sole function and purpose of eradicating intelligent life. Something that was developed by an earlier technological species, perhaps as a weapon against its enemies or just for the lulz, and which proved devastatingly effective.

I think that's less likely great filter than the jump to multicelluar life, but to what degree I can't say.

Unoriginal Name posted:

Consider the possibility that every planet in the galaxy that generated multicellular life eventually evolved a thinking being (just like you!) who thought their species would soon have a chance to escape to the stars.

And then they elected their Trump and shortly thereafter cleansed their planet of all its chances
I don't know if you're serious with this post, but on the off chance you are: no. No a great filter need not be impossible to foresee, and no the rise of intelligent, technological civilization does not imply the existence of Donald Trump. For gently caress's sake.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Zophar posted:

I wish I could communicate with others just how much sleep I've lost over the existence of John Bolton.

You'll be first against the wall you bourgeois culture drone.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/974459391310204928

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

skylined! posted:

so didja google him or are you actually john bolton posting on somethingawful dot com

TBH I was just reacting negatively to the idea that it was not possible to express why he is bad, a sentiment I have seen multiple times for some reason. Thanks for all the helpful links on the past couple pages though, everyone. :)

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

If Bolton gets in as NSA that means he could be shuffled into SecDef without Senate confirmation, right? I know Mattis is secure for now, but that's not exactly ideal.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Unoriginal Name posted:

I know you are making a joke but people constantly try to make the great filter some sort of social commentary thing in a way that makes no real sense. Like even if end of the world nuclear war is 100% inevitable anything past where we are is so close to leaving large scale evidence that if anyone delays their apocalypse even a few generations they ruin it as a great filter.

Like global warming might be definitely going to gently caress up our civilization but like if we were some different species that could endure it just a few extra years over us they could easily get to the point they are putting out enough energy to show up on radio telescopes or build von neumann probes or any of the other low hanging fruit for "how would we see distant aliens?" stuff. Great filter basically has to be behind us.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Caros posted:

So, before we get started, I'd just like to introduce the couch. Behind we we've got Termimuller and @FormerBu, both of whom have really been instrumental in discovering a lot of the tech that is going to make this speed run possible. They're really great guys. Just tremendous.

The first thing you'll notice here is that I am starting with the goal of an two-term presidency, this is really just for thematics. It doesn't affect gameplay, since we use the ingame timer for impeachment, counting from the most recent election, rather than the first one. Sort of a fun fact for you, but the world record holder, trickydick74, actually had a full first term run ahead of his successful impeachment run. A lot of people sort of forget that, which is sad, because he had some crazy strats in that run, including a collusion attempt with the Vietnamese government that serves as part of the basis for today's run.

Until Nixon, it was thought that the best way to play the early game was to just sort of wait, and a lot of players still do that. BRock, for example, just sort of breezed through the election times in his runs, hoping that by running at high difficulty with a particularly offensive create-a-character model would do the trick, but it really hasn't proven all that effective. BCBJ had a neat strategy of rumor mongering, but to be honest that causes a lot of soft-lock problems, to the point that his girlfriend can't even play the game anymore.

What was really innovative about our new strategy is that we took the collusion aspects from Nixon's first term, and we've melded them with the super-effective watergate tech to create a hybrid that should cut down our time relatively easy. Now, normally, this wouldn't work at all, you'd softlock the game before you ever get started, but due to a glitch in the way the electoral system works, you don't actually have to win the popular vote at all. How crazy is that?

Now that we're in the presidency, let's talk nepotism...
:trumppop: This is from a while back, but is excellent and deserves more attention. :nfpa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Trump will go down in history as Russia's most influential asset.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

pumpinglemma posted:

If Bolton gets in as NSA that means he could be shuffled into SecDef without Senate confirmation, right? I know Mattis is secure for now, but that's not exactly ideal.

No, he can't be moved from a non-Senate confirmed position to a position that requires confirmation

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Nsa is executive appointed. To put someone in to a Senate confirmation positionvlike the sod he would still have to go through the Senate.

Pruit wasn't confirmed correct? Think he has the same issue going to the doj if that happens.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

lmao holy gently caress Trump, you fuckin' idiot.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I know you are making a joke but people constantly try to make the great filter some sort of social commentary thing in a way that makes no real sense. Like even if end of the world nuclear war is 100% inevitable anything past where we are is so close to leaving large scale evidence that if anyone delays their apocalypse even a few generations they ruin it as a great filter.

Like global warming might be definitely going to gently caress up our civilization but like if we were some different species that could endure it just a few extra years over us they could easily get to the point they are putting out enough energy to show up on radio telescopes or build von neumann probes or any of the other low hanging fruit for "how would we see distant aliens?" stuff. Great filter basically has to be behind us.

If you assume you know everything, this might be true. But we, as a species, don't sooooooo

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Koalas March posted:

As a bisexual I can tell you everyone is gay (#twentygayteen) except the women who are actually interested in me because lesbians/bi gals suck at communicating with each other and always assume every lady they're into is straight even as they're actively flirting/making out with us.

This is from a few pages back, but here's a fun fact: this "women don't know how to flirt with other women" problem is so common that it actually has a semi-scientific name, "lesbian sheep syndrome" named after how gay female sheep (yes, sheep can be gay too) will just stand next to each other for hours because neither of them knows how to make the first move: https://boingboing.net/2001/12/04/i-encountered-this-w.html

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

lmao holy gently caress Trump, you fuckin' idiot.

Evangelicals: forgiveness brothers, as long as he still hates brown people we can still find forgiveness

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Kilroy posted:

Well, I tend to agree, but while I can't comment on the possibility of it, I wouldn't discount that we're living in essentially a post-apocalyptic universe filled with self-replicating semi-sentient organisms / machines with the sole function and purpose of eradicating intelligent life. Something that was developed by an earlier technological species, perhaps as a weapon against its enemies or just for the lulz, and which proved devastatingly effective.

That seems like the opposite solution to the fermi paradox, where instead of the answer being that intelligence/life is no where because it all died/didn't exist/got trapped on one planet that instead life or it's creations is literally everywhere and it just happens to be really sucky and boring. If every solar system gets it's own set of unstoppable reapers that also sucks and is bad, but like, it answers the fermi paradox with "actually aliens and their stuff are every single place, we just didn't notice" and we generally don't want to assume it's that, because if it's possible it's that then fermi paradox was never much of a question at all.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Unoriginal Name posted:

If you assume you know everything, this might be true. But we, as a species, don't sooooooo
soooooo... what? Nothing is knowable?

This is really dumb.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Kilroy posted:

soooooo... what? Nothing is knowable?

This is really dumb.

No, you're just trying to answer a question by making a bunch of assumptions. Which is, well, really dumb.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Instead of John Bolton let’s have Michael Bolton

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Vladimir Putin posted:

I don't trust someone who enjoyed Pirates of the Caribbean that much.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Spiffster posted:

Evangelicals: forgiveness brothers, as long as he still hates brown people we can still find forgiveness

*Matt Walsh furiously writes 1,500 word thinkpiece about how this displays Trump's masculine dominance and is in fact cool and good for the Federalist*

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Vladimir Putin posted:

Or Ramsay Bolton. Until the Battle of Winterfell he showed considerable strategic prowess and he would even have won that one without last minute outside intervention.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Zero_Grade posted:

:trumppop: This is from a while back, but is excellent and deserves more attention. :nfpa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

Aww, thanks. :)

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
could a journalist please open the box and determine McMaster's status by direct observation?

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Trump is going to say something about how disgusting Vanessa is in like a month tops.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://mobile.twitter.com/SRuhle/status/974478483601666048
He's totally getting fired over twitter tomorrow

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Unoriginal Name posted:

No, you're just trying to answer a question by making a bunch of assumptions. Which is, well, really dumb.

It's not like lovecraft where every solar system has it's own physics. There is plenty of assumptions you can make. Especially because a lot of them don't matter for being exact. Nuclear war or global warming might kill us all, but if we hold off on them even a few generations we get to the point our planet is putting out enough energy alien seti would see us, so that means nothing gets any farther than we are now.

It's possible some secret surprise jumps out of the ground before 2100 and says "suprise! every planet has lavos! everyone dies now!" but it's far far more likely that even if we die real soon, that 1% of the civilizations that make it this far make it to the 'detectable by seti" stuff, even if they don't become star trek and all eventually die the same way we do to donald trumps. So it seems real likely the great filter is an event in the past we passed by. Which again, is seemingly so obviously the one step of our development that took an actual fraction of the age of the universe instead of some near instant blip of a few million years.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Of course he is, Trump doesn't have the balls to fire people in person and his designated firer resigned on him.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ShutteredIn posted:

Trump is going to say something about how disgusting Vanessa is in like a month tops.

And probably be caught propositioning her in a hotel room and paying her $130,000 to forget about it the next day.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Holy poo poo. I've been trying to find a way to articulate his gait/stance/face. This one is perfect.

I've been trying to figure out how to do his dumb smile but my face muscles couldn't do it. Channeling this one time and I've got it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Says the man that needed to fly back to NYC every night to sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That seems like the opposite solution to the fermi paradox, where instead of the answer being that intelligence/life is no where because it all died/didn't exist/got trapped on one planet that instead life or it's creations is literally everywhere and it just happens to be really sucky and boring. If every solar system gets it's own set of unstoppable reapers that also sucks and is bad, but like, it answers the fermi paradox with "actually aliens and their stuff are every single place, we just didn't notice" and we generally don't want to assume it's that, because if it's possible it's that then fermi paradox was never much of a question at all.
It just means that the universe is filled with "life" whose sole purpose is to push rocks at planets that harbor other life. Such life probably wouldn't be doing anything we could detect - it wouldn't even need to be "social" so we'd probably not even catch it communicating within itself. The Fermi paradox is still a question, it just has a pretty depressing answer.

Although I don't know that means for life that develops on gas giants, though perhaps there's a different filter there and intelligent life never develops on gas giants.

I think it's a realistic possibility. If we want to become a space-faring civilization we're eventually going to need to conquer the fact that we're squishy bags of very fragile meat and are not at all suited to space travel. Also we die pretty quickly: our life span is not long enough that even interplanetary travel is very attractive, much less interstellar or intergalactic. But before we solve that problem, we'll be sending out... (probably self-replicating) probes to explore and chart nearby places and find interesting things for us. It's not hard to imagine some ancient species (hell, it's not hard to imagine us) also programming such a probe to also kill any life it happens to come across, on the off-chance it might be hostile.

The good news is that any species which developed such machines, in the past billion years or so at least, will not have been able to populate the visible universe with them. So that's not an answer to the Fermi paradox. So it would have to have happened basically at the very early stages of the stelliferous era, making it less likely, and also I'm not actually sure what the size of the visible universe was then - maybe it's impossible outright.

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 16, 2018

• Locked thread