Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I did, in post-overnight haze of neglect regarding "who knows what about my life." We have a two-month old, and she is tenure-track faculty. She's breastfeeding, so no matter what proportion of baby-raising burden I shoulder, there will always be a second-shift effect for her. And no, no other signs of symptoms of post-partum depression, just the stressors of first-time parenting manifesting in dismissal of the need to take care of things other than Ein Scheissmonster. Obviously the kid comes first, but we can't put everything else on hold or they'll be an utter catastrophe by the time he's in school.

To be perfectly fair to her, she probably would not complain if I just made every home-owning decision without her, but I do not trust my capacity not to turn a reasonably attractive home into a horrorshow.

I do have to laugh at the jump from very logical concerns such as "is tetrapyloctomy going to bankrupt the household" (which I am not, we are well off and would be even if she decided not to work or did not get tenure) to "Does she feel alienated or distant from you and fears that you focusing on the house will keep you away?"

I don't know you or really anything about you besides your two posts on an interior decorating thread, but something that helped me in a similar situation was sorta coming to terms with the fact that the demands on our time greatly outstripped the time and energy we had available. So, being zen with the idea that in order to keep up with laundry/dishes/eating/sleeping you'd have to let some things drop.
The trees outside are a little overgrown and shaggy, and I haven't cleaned the guest bathroom in weeks. And that's OK. The kids are alive, happy, and healthy and we're keeping up with stuff at work. The other stuff gets deprioritized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

canyoneer posted:

I don't know you or really anything about you besides your two posts on an interior decorating thread, but something that helped me in a similar situation was sorta coming to terms with the fact that the demands on our time greatly outstripped the time and energy we had available. So, being zen with the idea that in order to keep up with laundry/dishes/eating/sleeping you'd have to let some things drop.
The trees outside are a little overgrown and shaggy, and I haven't cleaned the guest bathroom in weeks. And that's OK. The kids are alive, happy, and healthy and we're keeping up with stuff at work. The other stuff gets deprioritized.

Yeah, I'm working on it. =) At least we have the luxury of being able to toss money at some problems to make them go away, but even that still takes time, and I doubt anyone ENJOYS dealing with contractors.

Edit: Though I am going a little batty from the, like, four terrible songs programmed into the Fisher Price swing. They're so bad.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 13, 2018

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

People like to scoff at them but look into the rockabye albums, they saved my sanity. They’re all chimes and bells like you get from typical lullaby toys, but they’re covers of <insert the band that most captures your nostalgia>, so it’s calming for baby and good for naps but you can still enjoy it on account of its all your favorite ear worms and you can hear them right through the docile remix. And they have a surprising range of genres covered, pretty much something for everyone.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Get all the Yo Gabba Gabba dvds and cds. It's also ok to like, not provide entertainment 24/7.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
We don't even use the thing super-often, but my brain latches onto repetitive patterns. (I had to shut off a white noise machine yesterday because I caught the pattern and it drove me crazy.) I'll look into the alternatives, for sure, he really seems to like music.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I did, in post-overnight haze of neglect regarding "who knows what about my life." We have a two-month old, and she is tenure-track faculty. She's breastfeeding, so no matter what proportion of baby-raising burden I shoulder, there will always be a second-shift effect for her. And no, no other signs of symptoms of post-partum depression, just the stressors of first-time parenting manifesting in dismissal of the need to take care of things other than Ein Scheissmonster. Obviously the kid comes first, but we can't put everything else on hold or they'll be an utter catastrophe by the time he's in school.

To be perfectly fair to her, she probably would not complain if I just made every home-owning decision without her, but I do not trust my capacity not to turn a reasonably attractive home into a horrorshow.

I do have to laugh at the jump from very logical concerns such as "is tetrapyloctomy going to bankrupt the household" (which I am not, we are well off and would be even if she decided not to work or did not get tenure) to "Does she feel alienated or distant from you and fears that you focusing on the house will keep you away?"

Sup having-a-two-month old buddy.

I'm in a very different situation as my wife is staying at home, but I hear you on time demands and trying to be there to help as much as you can but not really being able to do nearly as much as you might both like due to the breastfeeding.

Again, if you want help share pics and explain what you don't like about your current interior design situation.

As for my guesses, I had little to go on other than what seemed like a very irrational response from your partner, which usually speaks to bigger issues (in this case it was the extra stressor of the newborn while being in a stressful work situation, rather than maybe relationship stuff.) Curious as to why you think the suggestion of a partner feeling distant, alienated, or just lonely is an absurd possibility? Dudes are usually oblivious af to this.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Two months? How much sleep is she getting at night? I moved in to help my cousin with her baby, and she fought me on every chore more involved than dishes or laundry for the first three months.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Get used to the above colors. In about six months your house will be covered in the those colors which will last until your last kid gets to be about four or five. Just sayin' And congrats--kids really are the meaning of life.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Speaking as a breastfeeding mother of a six-month-old whose husband is addicted to craigslist MCM end tables and doesn’t remember to take out the trash: make sure that you’re doing the chores first. My husband loves to start important but low-priority tasks like fixing a door track on the pantry or replacing the eroded seal on the back window frame, but doesn’t notice the dishes piling up or the pink mildew growing in the tub or the complete lack of breakfast foods, so I either have to manage all the scheduling and initiative for the chores while trying not to nag, do them myself during the eighteen minutes a day my kid doesn’t need me, or just smell the trash all day while he charts out a new floor plan for the living room.

Give her midmorning naps. The hours of 0800-1000 contain the most precious, blessed potential for sleep. She needs it bad.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

This must be a sub-category of man blindness. Husband cashes out a savings bond, wow free money!! He insisted on upgrading our window blinds, meanwhile our storage room still needs shelves...

You're both right, and you both need to compromise. Don't take up her brainspace with non-urgent things, just do them efficiently and she'll notice later. Baby is too little to interfere right now so just bring babby out to the porch to witness you re-aligning step stones while waifu naps.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

GEMorris posted:

Sup having-a-two-month old buddy...
Little dude is finally showing some personality, which is nice. Newborns are cute, but I like the greater interaction. My wife is quasi stay-at-home (she can do most of her work from home), which I think is worse in a way: she can't escape work because there are no set hours, and there's always a distraction no matter how much we try to minimize them. I don't find your question regarding alienation absurd, just a specific and large jump from the prior hypotheses.

For the time being, in any case, I'm sticking to patching some issues in the house. Mainly literal patching -- some drywall issues, some painting touch-up, etc. But trust me, I'll be hitting the thread up for some other stuff hopefully soon-ish. I'd like to tackle our attic space in the next year.

elise the great posted:

Speaking as a breastfeeding mother of a six-month-old whose husband is addicted to craigslist MCM end tables and doesn’t remember to take out the trash: make sure that you’re doing the chores first ...
I appreciate the advice! I try to keep up on that stuff, since I've always primarily been in charge of dishes, garbage, laundry and cat litter. The mid-morning naps are harder, since I work night shift, but we have someone who comes for a few hours a few times a week, and my mom has been up every other week for three to four days (thank god for what basically amounts to a basement apartment). She's volunteered to come up more frequently but my wife doesn't want to impose, and I think that in a way having someone help makes her feel a little more stressed because she feels like she should be able to do more on her own. I disagree -- her work is loving hard and time-consuming and it's hard to imagine someone trying to do both.

peanut posted:

This must be a sub-category of man blindness. Husband cashes out a savings bond, wow free money!! He insisted on upgrading our window blinds, meanwhile our storage room still needs shelves...
Luckily I think I have a pretty good handle on what house-stuff needs to be prioritized. It unfortunately is not any of the fun stuff. =(

HycoCam posted:

timg]http://cdn.fcglcdn.com/brainbees/images/products/438x531/288a.jpg[/timg]

Get used to the above colors. In about six months your house will be covered in the those colors which will last until your last kid gets to be about four or five. Just sayin' And congrats--kids really are the meaning of life.
It's amazing how much space you can eat up with Pack'n'Plays, activity pads, changing tables, diaper pails ... and it's going to be time to toddler-proof the place before we know it! The house is basically a child murder factory, with sharp corners and neurotoxins everywhere. If he survives infancy he should be a trooper!

Sorry for the prolonged derail, everyone. It's nice to vocalize and talk through the stuff and hear from other parents.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I’m always happy to see input here from people with different life experience to me (mostly parents) as it gives me additional context when making decisions which will eventually affect the next owner.

As mentioned earlier I’m of the “gently caress the resale” mindset when it comes to compromising on my own wants and needs, but if I can accommodate others in small ways then why not?

It’s why I have a bath in the new downstairs bathroom despite having not used one for my entire adult life and no plans to start.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Jaded Burnout posted:

I’m always happy to see input here from people with different life experience to me (mostly parents) as it gives me additional context when making decisions which will eventually affect the next owner.

As mentioned earlier I’m of the “gently caress the resale” mindset when it comes to compromising on my own wants and needs, but if I can accommodate others in small ways then why not?

It’s why I have a bath in the new downstairs bathroom despite having not used one for my entire adult life and no plans to start.

The first renovation to this place was supposed to be to remodel the common bathroom on the second floor to have a nice ... well, I was going to say "nice tub" but really the whole thing is on the ugly side of bland. But then the master bathroom shower leaked, and then the basement started to take on water, and then a tree fell on the sunroom three weeks before the wedding ... and here we are five years later with the same ugly bathroom. But at least the nursery looks okay!

I lugged our basement mini-fridge up there so it'd be easier for my wife to put her pumped mild somewhere, but since a small bedside cooler with an ice pack seems to work just fine I guess I wasted some energy there. We need some curtain tie-backs (and to move some of these books we're accumulating onto the shelf), but I'm happy with how things turned out. The windows were a bitch to get restored properly, and left me on the fence as to whether I'm going to keep the old windows in the rest of the house or do full-frame replacements.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

We have this same glider!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Just get a maid for a one-time cleaning if you’re that far behind and there’s “no way” to catch up. Fix the poo poo that needs fixing and then hire someone to clean it all up after.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Little dude is finally showing some personality, which is nice. Newborns are cute, but I like the greater interaction. My wife is quasi stay-at-home (she can do most of her work from home), which I think is worse in a way: she can't escape work because there are no set hours, and there's always a distraction no matter how much we try to minimize them. I don't find your question regarding alienation absurd, just a specific and large jump from the prior hypotheses.

Full disclosure that I've only had to raise a puppy, but has she had a legit whole day off to herself yet? That one day my friend watched my puppy saved my sanity after months of running around socializing and training classes.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Seconding the intermittent maid service. I almost cried when I saw my wonderful clean house, all without having to sacrifice yet MORE sleep.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

PRADA SLUT posted:

Just get a maid for a one-time cleaning if you’re that far behind and there’s “no way” to catch up. Fix the poo poo that needs fixing and then hire someone to clean it all up after.

elise the great posted:

Seconding the intermittent maid service. I almost cried when I saw my wonderful clean house, all without having to sacrifice yet MORE sleep.
That is exactly the plan. There was a lot of clutter that needed to be dealt with first, but we're almost to the point where it's maid-work and not "wtf is up with these books and papers" work.

cheese eats mouse posted:

Full disclosure that I've only had to raise a puppy, but has she had a legit whole day off to herself yet? That one day my friend watched my puppy saved my sanity after months of running around socializing and training classes.
Yes and no? My parents came for a week stretch, but even then she was breastfeeding every few hours. The pumped-milk storage is improving, though, so she could take a longer stretch of time now.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

We have this same glider!
They're pretty amazing, aren't they? The custom ones are even nicer, but they take too long to deliver and we decided to save a couple hundred bucks rather than match our room colors.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pumping is miserable... why is she pumping if she works from home? Meet me in the Pregnancy Megathread.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Also: Rule 34, but for wall words.
https://www.decoist.com/2013-01-07/door-decals/

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Words on fridges, perfect

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

hexwren posted:

stealing this from another thread because HOLY poo poo

https://twitter.com/i/moments/971090466153299968

e: at least scroll down far enough to get to the word carpet with a misspelling

Someone likes really ugly fonts.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Youth Decay posted:

Someone likes really ugly fonts.

Looking through the pictures without having heard of the place I assumed it must be a mall, and that was part of the food court. But apparently it's an expensive restaurant in a hotel that just wants to look like a cheap mall food court? I don't understand design. :(

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

peanut posted:

Pumping is miserable... why is she pumping if she works from home? Meet me in the Pregnancy Megathread.

Some days she still needs to go to campus for meetings or for classes, so the kid still gets bottle-fed fairly often. (And this gives her the option to hand him off to me for a while to go out, etc.)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Facebook Aunt posted:

Looking through the pictures without having heard of the place I assumed it must be a mall, and that was part of the food court. But apparently it's an expensive restaurant in a hotel that just wants to look like a cheap mall food court? I don't understand design. :(

The building itself is incredibly tacky-looking; I commute past it on my way home, and I can't even find a picture online that does justice to how shiny and cheap it looks in the real world. It's like a skyscraper made of translucent contact paper.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm extremely bothered by the LCD font having differently-shaped segments for each character

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

sup yall who's ready for a loving banger???

https://www.estately.com/listings/info/450-w-grixdale

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

... jesus.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

I'm so traumatized by tech heavy areas of NC that I see 550k for something that's not a shotgun and just think "I'll take six of em"

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Learned a new solution to popcorn ceilings. Cover it with crochet!

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I'm the M hand towel jammed between two oven doors. I'm also the entire house as the physical manifestation of the last thought Liberace had as he lay dying.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Is it for sale because all of those statuettes came to life and murdered the previous owners?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Holy nuts that's a heckuva house! I can't even guess at the layout, every wing is different but equally confusing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

peanut posted:

Holy nuts that's a heckuva house! I can't even guess at the layout, every wing is different but equally confusing.

This room is very...progressive.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Korova Milk Bar & Senior Center

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's amazing how every image in that gallery is somehow twice as insane as the last one.

peanut posted:

Korova Milk Bar & Senior Center

hah

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Freaquency posted:

Is it for sale because all of those statuettes came to life and murdered the previous owners?

Oh yeah, there's definitely a curse here. All the contents are included with the house. Even the car.

All this could be yours. Every bit of it.

I imagine the car is staying because it costs $666/mile to fuel the thing, making it too expensive to move.

Host your own MtG game nights.

Groovy.

Why a single bed? Was this a child's room?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I am the complete lack of any form of consistency throughout the house.

Brick! No wait, stone! No, shingles! Square windows! No wait, round windows! I love white! No, green is my favorite color! Oh I know, 70s green and brown! Perfect! How about make it look like an old people's home! I just came back from the UK and I'm feeling inspired, put carpet in the bathroom! You know what I love? Wood paneling! Actually, glass and mirrors is JUST my style. Black and white is so in right now! Earthen tones! Let's make our basement look like the saddest outdoor café!

The entire house was decorated by an ADD squirrel on a caffeine rush.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 16, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Why a single bed? Was this a child's room?

It looks like a coffin. But if you open the grave, there is no body...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

I just came back from the UK and I'm feeling inspired, put carpet in the bathroom!

With bonus plastic sheet to catch the piss