Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Toona the Cat posted:

Yep. I kind of got a laugh because my interviewer talked about my rabbi after seeing my temple on my resume and told me that she too is one of G-d’s chosen people.

Using this thread as my primary source, I have determined that 100% of attorneys/washed up former attorneys mention Judaism in the interview process, with a 50% success rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

I was the fundraising director for five years.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Found out that at my doc review job a guy has been commuting from Madison to Chicago each day for the last few months, with a 10 month old at home

holy christ how is that even possible

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Found out that at my doc review job a guy has been commuting from Madison to Chicago each day for the last few months, with a 10 month old at home

Through the power of law, anything is possible.
Except life

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

I would guess via I-90.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

mastershakeman posted:

people abandon their families all the time

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Kawasaki Nun posted:

people abandon their families all the time
My kid told my wife “it was nice that could visit this weekend.”

Note that I live at home.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

I know, right? Now if it were a 2-4 year old it would be easy. Those guys are monsters.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.
As someone who just got most of my 2018 CLEs done by attending an ABA forum, I'm hopping on the "CLEs are great" train. Got to hear from some interesting, accomplished people and also the guy who called David Souter a child molesting goat fucker on twitter.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Got my 23andme results back. I have 285 varients of neanderthal which is more than 62% of other customers.

Caveman Lawyer.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I finally killed the thread!! It's mine, all mine.

:moonrio::slick::sotw::dare:

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
So given that they’re trying to put the death penalty on the table for drug dealers and possession with intent to distribute is like 5 grams or heroin, or 2 days worth of supply for an addict, how many overdose deaths are we going to see before they throw in the towel?

Or! Drug dealers get into a race to the bottom for the most potent stuff where they use stuff where micrograms will kill you.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
This thread needs to die

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This thread needs to die

emails

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This thread needs to die

You're not the last lawyer yet, though.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
https://brorlandi.github.io/StarWarsIntroCreator/#!/AL7hEWgjyFqsq0UWZIFr

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Nice

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

sullat posted:

You're not the last lawyer yet, though.

Did not know this was a Highlander type deal. Where did I put my Zweihander?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Lost it at study partner.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

This is fantastic.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Of course there’s a Wookieepedia entry for “lawyer.”

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

My God

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I'm looking for a lawyer that can provide an opinion on the feasibility of having a location my business is considering leasing re-zoned. Should any local commercial real estate attorney be able to handle this or should I be looking for some specialization or pedigree?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

An attorney who specializes in land use law.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Thoogsby posted:

I'm looking for a lawyer that can provide an opinion on the feasibility of having a location my business is considering leasing re-zoned. Should any local commercial real estate attorney be able to handle this or should I be looking for some specialization or pedigree?

"Land use" or "Zoning" attorneys would be what you're looking for. Try a commercial real estate attorney, and even if he/she doesn't do land use, he/she would be the best source for a recommendation.

:vince:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Lmao

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Thanks for the quick answers. Any suggestions on finding an attorney that deals with smaller organizations? I live just outside a major city and it's easy to find the heavy hitters in any particular field of law but harder to know who would bother with a smaller operation like mine. Should I just cold email until someone is either nice enough to recommend me elsewhere or take me on?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Contact the bar association in the major city you live near. Or the county you live in.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Thoogsby posted:

Thanks for the quick answers. Any suggestions on finding an attorney that deals with smaller organizations? I live just outside a major city and it's easy to find the heavy hitters in any particular field of law but harder to know who would bother with a smaller operation like mine. Should I just cold email until someone is either nice enough to recommend me elsewhere or take me on?

google "board certified real estate attorney" and/or "land use/zoning attorney" local to you and look for small firms (1-10 lawyers) as you click through the websites from the results list.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Thoogsby posted:

If you know any local lawyers who don’t work in that area, ask them if they know anyone/can get a rec. I regularly get “hey does anyone know someone who does X law?” emails from other lawyers.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I've got my first criminal defence trial next week. Any tips?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

thehoodie posted:

Call the State the “gov-er-ment.”

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Thanks for the all the great suggestions.

This may be harder to answer but should I be looking to get a few opinions on applying for a zoning variance before pulling the trigger? I'm slightly worried about someone taking me for a few grand in billable hours to file the variance request when they know it has no shot. Is this just a reality I have to accept or can I be smart here by playing the field a little bit?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
If they take your case and they know there’s no chance, you file a bar complaint.

Most attorneys aren’t going to give you free advice because that’s what they get paid for.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Applying for a variance, or rezoning application is 1000% crapshoot the depends on neighborhood, the city, the city council, who's on the city council, what their plans for that area are for the future, who you know, how well you presented your case, and a whole bunch of other poo poo.

So if you want to get an idea of your chances before investing in an attorney, you can call the city and ask the Planning & Development department what the odds of success would be and get a pretty good idea of your chances. For minor, technical things, city council is 99% of the time going to do what staff recommends in the end, but there is a huge gap between knowing your chances and knowing how to make it happen.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Have you considered some good old fashion corruption? I’m assuming your in America so it’s not like it’s illegal

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

thehoodie posted:

Leading questions only (This is the most important tip)
Actually listen to what the witness is saying and don't just look at your notes
Know your rules of evidence
Know what elements the prosecutor needs to make to convict
Know what foundation the prosecutor needs to make to get in the important evidence
Make sure the prosecutor isn't leading the witness
Object object object
Don't stipulate to anything
Read the police report closely
Practice your impeachment foundation

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

quote not edit

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

thehoodie posted:

https://twitter.com/brandyzadrozny/status/975017804410839041

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Yeah I'm definitely sensitive to the fact I'm toeing the line on asking someone to do their job for free. Our realtor was able to give us a little bit of insight to how the city may respond but I have a contact with the city I can try to use to directly speak with the variance board. Thanks for the help!