Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

AnEdgelord posted:

I don't understand how Jessica is your least favorite person when Trish is in this show
I don't understand how Trish is your least favorite person when her mom is in this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Bell_ posted:

I don't understand how Trish is your least favorite person when her mom is in this show.

You're supposed to hate the mom. That's the difference.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

business hammocks posted:

None of her behavior has anything to do with feminism. She’s a white addict.

He's just trolling.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

cosmicjim posted:

You're supposed to hate the mom. That's the difference.
Oh. Well, if I wasn't supposed to hate Trish too, THAT went over my head!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
My biggest complaint is from S2E12: Why the gently caress do shows tape in blood-draw butterflies like they're IVs? It's not "Yankauer suction appliance as endotracheal tube" bad, but it's pretty bad.

Okay, not really. But overall, I don't have any glaring complaints. I men, Trish is awful, but her actions make sense for an addict child star who desperately feels weak, inconsequential, and constantly overshadowed by her loved ones. Jessica is terrible, but in fashion consistent with her previous trauma. Hogarth's gullibility stems from desperation, and she closes her arc in an appropriately vicious manner. Trish's mom is consistently insufferable, as she should be.

But because I'm a dummy, it took way too long to realize that Jessica's agency and mother's name are anagrams.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

These Netflix-verse shows do have a bad track record when it comes to black men* (and a nearly non-existent record when it comes to black women*). DDS1 and JJS1 both had an older, black male character who was killed off basically to show how evil a villain was, and both of those characters were replaced by a white character in DDS2 and JJS2. I haven't finished JJs2 yet, but their treatment of Malcom is pretty loving bad.

*Unless you are or are featured in Luke Cage.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Lets not even get started on native american inclusion

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You're not really supposed to like Trish by the end either. If you were Jessica would have forgiven her, or been portrayed as wrong in some way instead of having a relatively happy ending.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

She might be wrong and they will probably reconcile if there is a second season. Jessica certainly made a mistake in entertaining her mother’s insane superhero fantasy, but you’re still supposed to like her as much as you did at the start of the season.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I just have one question, was there any good action or fight or some sort of physical confrontation in the show?

I feel like marvel tv shows have been getting way worse with the action

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Of the 5-6 seasons we’ve had Jessica Jones was decidedly the least action packed show already and this season sounds like way more of a drama than an action show.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

He was lifting to deal with restlessness since he needs to do something to deal with his addiction and he was frustrated with how Jessica was treating him.

yes, but have you considered he may just be a hypersexual black person?

I apologize for the trolls itt, my last posts were posted somewhere else so there's extra trolls trying "own" everybody who have never even posted itt before.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 15, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

These Netflix-verse shows do have a bad track record when it comes to black men* (and a nearly non-existent record when it comes to black women*). DDS1 and JJS1 both had an older, black male character who was killed off basically to show how evil a villain was, and both of those characters were replaced by a white character in DDS2 and JJS2. I haven't finished JJs2 yet, but their treatment of Malcom is pretty loving bad.

*Unless you are or are featured in Luke Cage.

Punisher did okay, at least. Curtis is awesome. The world shits on him constantly, but he soldiers along being a decent person even while all his friends turn out to be murderous lunatics.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Finished the season just now. It was... not good? The story was all right for what it was trying to tell and expand on Jessica’s life and family. But holy poo poo as a Marvel series, coming off Defenders where you have the group deal with wacky ninjas and zombie ninjas... this was just loving terrible. Even Jones’ first season, as grounded and provoking it was with the topics it used, were framed around noted marvel villain Killgrave. This season was just boring for the large majority of it.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

She might be wrong and they will probably reconcile if there is a second season. Jessica certainly made a mistake in entertaining her mother’s insane superhero fantasy, but you’re still supposed to like her as much as you did at the start of the season.

Its hard to like people who take actions would knowingly lead to the deaths of others for selfish reasons. Jessica's refusal to send her mother to the goddamned raft doomed a lot of people. Hell even Danny "pants of head" Rand isn't that loving stupid

Serf
May 5, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Punisher did okay, at least. Curtis is awesome. The world shits on him constantly, but he soldiers along being a decent person even while all his friends turn out to be murderous lunatics.

Curtis was a really cool character. I just hated that he got taken down because of his prosthesis. That was lame.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Holy poo poo that was awful. They pissed away any character progress from last season, turned everyone into an awful person that I never want to watch again, and gave us literally no one to root for except Jessica who doesn't even feel like she was in her own show. They single handedly killed everything I liked about the series with this.

bold move making Trish the big bad for the season though

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

MrJacobs posted:

Its hard to like people who take actions would knowingly lead to the deaths of others for selfish reasons. Jessica's refusal to send her mother to the goddamned raft doomed a lot of people. Hell even Danny "pants of head" Rand isn't that loving stupid

Not wanting to send your mentally ill mother who has come back from the dead to super fuckyou prison is understandable then anything Rand did.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

socialsecurity posted:

Not wanting to send your mentally ill mother who has come back from the dead to super fuckyou prison is understandable then anything Rand did.

Yeah. The main reason Jessica is the one I have the most sympathy for is because literally everyone is telling her what to do about her mom and just about every choice she makes is a loss of humanity or serious jail time. Everyone else is just the worst.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 16, 2018

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I really liked JJS1. S2 started off ok, got a bit better, then dove off a loving cliff

why did she freak the gently caress out after killing the CO and then pretty much brush it off and stop giving a poo poo so easily? Why did ANYone believe he died from the roof jump when he landed on his back but somehow had a third of the front of his face missing?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wamsutta posted:

I really liked JJS1. S2 started off ok, got a bit better, then dove off a loving cliff

why did she freak the gently caress out after killing the CO and then pretty much brush it off and stop giving a poo poo so easily? Why did ANYone believe he died from the roof jump when he landed on his back but somehow had a third of the front of his face missing?

Yeah, as much as the guilt of killing or fear of crossing moral boundaries consume her, you’d think she wouldn’t get over it very easily.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
My favorite part is how for the last four episodes there were at least three situations per where I was asking out loud if anyone remembered she could fly.

Like yeah she's poo poo at it but she managed to fumble her way over Kilgrave's mind controlled goons and she can't go seven feet up to make her getaways easier? The writers for this season were atrocious.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

She can't fly.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

She can jump, as in she can jump down to the ground from a great height and not get hurt.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Arist posted:

She can't fly.

She can jump, as in she can jump down to the ground from a great height and not get hurt.

In her very first episode she flew up a fire escape and later told Trish actually you know what this is a dumb hill to die on

The point is, writers bad

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
She can jump really far and that’s hard to portray realistically.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Spoilers from final ep I don't understand at all why Malcolm ended up working for Chang. His break from Jessica was perfectly understandable, but he also had been well informed at that point that Chang had gone psycho and tried to kill Mrs. Jones with a sniper rifle. Surely there are more than just those two private investigator firms in New York City he could have ended up with

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Fartbox posted:

I just have one question, was there any good action or fight or some sort of physical confrontation in the show?

I feel like marvel tv shows have been getting way worse with the action

Not any with JJ. I think she's just too ... willowy? Or something? to look strong. Or she's like double-jointed? I dunno. The way she walks and moves, she just never looks like she's actually strong. S1 has a couple decent fights with Nuke, and Trish isn't half bad.

S2, her mom pulls off looking insanely strong all the time, and the coreography took a step up (compared to S1 that's not saying much). But no, it's not a show about sweet fight scenes.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'm on the fence about watching this season, can someone do a spoiler-tagged paragraph of what happens? I don't mind knowing what's coming, but I wish I'd known what to expect about the first season before watching it and getting bored.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

As Nero Danced posted:

I'm on the fence about watching this season, can someone do a spoiler-tagged paragraph of what happens? I don't mind knowing what's coming, but I wish I'd known what to expect about the first season before watching it and getting bored.

JJ is trying to figure out her past and how she got her powers, which she figures out but isn’t entirely right about. There’s also some dumb sex scenes thrown in there. Trish is jealous of being a regular person and channels Alex Jones. Claire Underwood is in this show now too.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

bbf2 posted:

Spoilers from final ep I don't understand at all why Malcolm ended up working for Chang. His break from Jessica was perfectly understandable, but he also had been well informed at that point that Chang had gone psycho and tried to kill Mrs. Jones with a sniper rifle. Surely there are more than just those two private investigator firms in New York City he could have ended up with

It doesn't seem unreasonable, even going beyond simply "why introduce new characters unnecessarily." Chang trying to assassinate Alisa doesn't even register in the "psycho" range in this version of New York. Alisa killed Chang's longtime fellow soldier, friend, and associate by smearing him all over the inside of a van, and the police were useless in stopping her. "Taking care of business" is just what people do in the Marvel Universe. Chang also already made overtures about employment, and has a pre-existing relationship with Malcolm's only very, very rich client who already indicated that she wouldn't use him regularly unless he paired up with someone more seasoned. The only real issue with Chang is that, if Jessica is to be believed, he just isn't a good investigator. But you could chalk that up to Jessica just being an rear end in a top hat.

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

S2, her mom pulls off looking insanely strong all the time, and the coreography took a step up (compared to S1 that's not saying much). But no, it's not a show about sweet fight scenes.
100% agreed about Alisa really selling her sheer power in a way that Jessica does not.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Chang is cool and easily my fav character.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

As Nero Danced posted:

Mommy issues.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

As Nero Danced posted:

nothing

Woden posted:

Chang is cool and easily my fav character.

Congrats on being a terrible person I guess? :v:

(nah we cool)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I don't think any recent series has leaned harder on the plot device of characters not talking to each other.

Like, holy poo poo did Jessica even tell Malcolm who shot her? That might have influenced his decisions.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It doesn't seem unreasonable, even going beyond simply "why introduce new characters unnecessarily." Chang trying to assassinate Alisa doesn't even register in the "psycho" range in this version of New York. Alisa killed Chang's longtime fellow soldier, friend, and associate by smearing him all over the inside of a van, and the police were useless in stopping her. "Taking care of business" is just what people do in the Marvel Universe. Chang also already made overtures about employment, and has a pre-existing relationship with Malcolm's only very, very rich client who already indicated that she wouldn't use him regularly unless he paired up with someone more seasoned. The only real issue with Chang is that, if Jessica is to be believed, he just isn't a good investigator. But you could chalk that up to Jessica just being an rear end in a top hat.
100% agreed about Alisa really selling her sheer power in a way that Jessica does not.

To be fair, from what I remember from season 1 and defenders Jessica's a poo poo investigator too. The writers didn't even look into what a PI does before starting the show, just like how they didn't research court procedure, drug operations, and everything else too.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I do like how they're willing to go 'Jessica is a flawed person who makes bad decisions and isn't always likable', because they've given us a reason why she's like that. I really liked this season- yep, it had structure issues, but it's a show about broken, flawed people making bad decisions for what they think are the right reasons, and having it all fall apart. I liked Trish's arc, but it might be because Rachael Taylor managed to sell the character's fall into mania and obession really well.

And Carrie-Ann Moss just does the 'super in control ice queen' thing so well. Jeri is one of the best MCU side characters.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 17, 2018

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Taylor is pure charisma.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Koalas March posted:

yes, but have you considered he may just be a hypersexual black person?

Why, I've never heard of such a thing!:monocle:

Anyhoo, you can get Patsy's #1 chart-topping hit, I Want Your Cray Cray, at your music repository of choice. It's a deep song, well deserving of its place, and would not be out of place on terrestrial radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

As Nero Danced posted:

There are three stories this season:

Jessica Jones' mom didn't die in the car accident. Doctor Malus from obscure comic fame put her in a coma for a few years and she's healed up, bald and She-Hulk for some reason. Lots of rage issues and mommy issues this season. They had three years between JJS1 and JJS2 and the best idea they could come up with was "Trish has troubles with her mom so what if Jessica has trouble with hers?" Trish headshots Mom-Hulk in the last episode because they want to tease a heel turn? Maybe? It's dumb.

Patsy Walker is clean, employed and dating someone. Nuke comes back for an episode to die at the hands of Mom-Hulk and give Patsy an inhaler. Said inhaler temporarily gives her enhanced quasi-super powers. Patsy is a recovering addict; Patsy gets addicted. Patsy is jealous of her journalist boyfriend and when he proposes she shoots him down. Patsy quits her job, flakes at the fake CNN job interview and decides she'd rather have super powers instead. Patsy kidnaps Doctor Malus who takes her back to IGH where Jessica and Mom-Hulk got their superpowers. Patsy undergoes a procedure, almost dies, but as she's entering the elevator in the end she drops something... which she catches on the tip of her foot! Hooray! Super powers! It's dumb.

Also, Patsy's mom pimped underage Patsy to a movie producer, yet Patsy is still on speaking terms with her mom for reasons. Trish is the dumbest character on the show, but kind of has the best arc of the three. It's still dumb.

Hogarth has ALS. Hogarth gets conned by two scumbags who "heal" her and steal her poo poo. Hogarth gets her revenge and then quits her law firm to start one of her own. This was completely pointless as it's only there to give Carrie Anne Moss an excuse for being on the show. It's dumb.

And there are no black women in this show about feminism.

Heathen fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 18, 2018