Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The ABC’s main television and radio news bulletins should cover more human interest stories, local news and hip pocket issues, the managing director Michelle Guthrie has said.

Guthrie was endorsing an internal editorial review which found the 7pm ABC TV news and the 7am radio news bulletins assumed public broadcasting audiences were more interested in major national and international events than they were in their own community.

“To characterise it crudely, an ABC bulletin might leave an anxious viewer sleepless over global instability, while Channel 7 will leave them more worried about crime or violence at the end of their own street,” the Diversity of Broadcast News Stories review found.

Led by editorial policies director Alan Sunderland, the review of eight weeks of broadcasts asked whether the ABC was failing to design a bulletin for the widest possible audience due to unconscious cultural bias.

“The question is not whether we should also be running footage of individual house fires or escapee animals, but whether there are some thoughtful, unique ways we could add more local, human interest and hip pocket stories to our coverage, possibly through better use of our regional resources,” the review said.

The review did not find any breaches of editorial policy in the ABC stories and found that even the shortest of news items was balanced. Across all the broadcasters sport and weather was a priority.

However, the ABC’s story selections were often substantially different from those made by the commercial newsrooms, in particular there were many more international stories on the ABC and SBS than there were on channels Seven, Nine and Ten.

The breakdown of the commercial and public broadcasters’ bulletins found the most space given to federal politics (16%) on the ABC; international politics (23%) on SBS; general interest (23%) on Seven; crime and sport (18%) on Nine and general interest (16%) on Ten.

“The ABC is also much less likely to cover celebrity news, human interest stories, including minor mishaps, or to include stories solely on the basis of spectacular (or sometimes not that spectacular) footage,” the review found.

The review recommended ABC journalists spend more time talking to everyday Australians about health expenses, public transport, wages and child care and increase the number of general interest stories “without trivialising or ‘dumbing down’” the bulletins.

“Handled well, this could become a defining and promotable feature of our bulletins, especially on TV but also on longer radio bulletins. This is already happening on occasion to good effect, but should be expanded.”

Regional reporters should be used more to localise state news bulletins and make them more directly relevant to the community.
“These recommendations do not amount to wholesale change, but rather to strategic means of tweaking the mix of content here and there, or to shift the treatment of stories (away from the political and/or national) to increase the relevance and usefulness of news at a local level while maintaining our strong commitment to reporting the issues and events that matter.”

In the introduction Guthrie said the review, which is the 15th since the board introduced a series of audits under former ABC chairman James Spigelman in 2013, was a useful reminder of the importance of the ABC’s impartiality in story selection.

“The recommendations suggested to improve our diversity should be prioritised by our teams namely to cover economic/hip pocket issues more often and in a different way; drawing on our regional and rural reporters for more human interest stories; and for our local news bulletins to be even more local and community based,” Guthrie said.

The background to the review was to ask whether the make-up of the ABC’s bulletins needed a rethink and whether the story selection was adequate to equip audiences to make up their own minds.

“The ABC is frequently accused of overlooking systemic gaps in its news coverage,” the review said. “This criticism takes many forms, but tends to coalesce over the proposition that the left-wing bias allegedly prevalent among ABC staff leads them towards stories which accord with a world view which is both progressive and ‘elite’. Another common and related criticism levelled at the ABC is that it ignores the ‘cost of living’ stories important to ordinary Australians in favour of progressive social causes.”

Guthrie and Sunderland will face a second round of questions about their handling of the Emma Alberici tax stories at an additional Senate estimates hearing next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Inshallah

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
I just made this thread if you care more about BBall then lovely auspol drama: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851861

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

ssmagus posted:

I just made this thread if you care more about BBall then lovely auspol drama: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851861

i do not

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

quote:

In response to feedback regarding pool safety, the Victorian Government is progressing a legislative amendment to introduce a registration, compliance and enforcement regime for existing swimming pool and spa barriers

:toot:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

“The recommendations suggested to improve our diversity should be prioritised by our teams namely to cover economic/hip pocket issues more often and in a different way; drawing on our regional and rural reporters for more human interest stories; and for our local news bulletins to be even more local and community based,” Guthrie said.

i thought they fired them all

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

BBJoey posted:

i thought they fired them all

Nah, everyone still sends cub reporters to woop woop.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Cartoon posted:

I've been trying to put this to bed but if you are going to go after the ALP perhaps you should remember this:

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/tripling-tax-free-threshold

Now before the ALP did that, even 'modest' 100K share portfolios would result in a taxable income. Which of the shiny giveaways do you want boomer poo poo smears?

Yeah, but that was to offset the effect of the Carbon "tax" for the plebs. It really should have been repealed at the same time as the tax, but I'm sure the economically responsible party in power had their reasons not to.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-16/persecuted-white-south-african-farmers-resettlement-gaining-mom/9556098

quote:

A conservative push to resettle "persecuted" white South African farmers in Australia is gaining momentum with several MPs calling for a special humanitarian intake.
Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton has caused a diplomatic row with South Africa after declaring white farmers in the country were facing "horrific circumstances" and needed protection from a "civilised country".
While the issue has hit the national headlines this week, West Australian Liberals have been agitating behind the scenes for months and last year passed a motion at the party's state council calling on the Federal Government to "resettle persecuted European minorities" in South Africa and Zimbabwe.
WA Liberal Ian Goodenough, whose electorate is home to one of the largest South African expat communities, said Australia accepted thousands of extra refugees from Syria in a one-off special intake and should do the same for white farmers "fleeing persecution".
"Violence and suffering affects all people universally," he told the ABC.
"Given our close connections to the South African community, consideration should be given to providing a quota of places."
Mr Goodenough — who has been lobbying his senior colleagues over the issue — argues white South African farmers would bring relevant skills to Australia and integrate well into the community.
"It certainly wouldn't hurt to allocate a number of places to people who fit in well and will contribute to the country," he said.
His West Australian colleague, Andrew Hastie, took to social media to declare he is "outraged" by the reports of violence against white farmers and posted an image of a flyer describing the group as the "persecuted minority nobody cares about".
"They are being targeted in … what appears to be an orchestrated terror campaign," it said.
But the push is not limited to WA.
Several Liberals have posted the same flyer as well as graphic images of white farmers who have apparently been beaten.
Farm violence in South Africa is a racially charged and sensitive political issue, particularly given the Government's push to seize land from farmers without compensation.
Queensland Liberal MP Andrew Laming has been vocal on the topic, describing white farmers as "refugees", and claimed credit for this week's developments.
"Since I called out South African politicians for their do-nothing approach to vicious attacks on farmers, Peter Dutton has asked his [department] to monitor and consider our offshore humanitarian program," he posted.
The plight of South African farmers is also on Liberal Democrat Senator David Leyonhjelm's radar.
He has written to the Government urging it to respond to the "tragedy of farmers being forced off their land … and the alarming rate of murder".
"We should investigate options for allowing South African farmers to enter Australia under the refugee program if they require sanctuary," he posted on Facebook.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Anidav posted:

The breakdown of the commercial and public broadcasters’ bulletins found the most space given to federal politics (16%) on the ABC; international politics (23%) on SBS; general interest (23%) on Seven; crime and sport (18%) on Nine and general interest (16%) on Ten.

"Crime and sport".

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/974496113657958402

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Holy loving poo poo this tax avoidance stuff. If I ran a train line and the machines were broken then fixed them I would be "changing the rules unfairly."

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Cartoon posted:

I've been trying to put this to bed but if you are going to go after the ALP perhaps you should remember this:

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/tripling-tax-free-threshold

Now before the ALP did that, even 'modest' 100K share portfolios would result in a taxable income. Which of the shiny giveaways do you want boomer poo poo smears?
tax free thresholds for retirees are different again, IIRC closer to 30k, plus certain income streams are treated differently again (eg defined benefits schemes). Mind blowing examples here.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/firstdogonmoon/status/974450656869277697

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Well, now I feel gross.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Very believable.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

gently caress this racist shithole

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Is that what you were working on?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

You Am I posted:

Is that what you were working on?

Yep

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Pretty sure "white landowner" isn't on the list of eligible skilled occupations.

I get the distinct impression the white landowners are considering fleeing not because of any real persecution but because they realise they're outnumbered on the "upholding a racist system" front. I mean, life will be very tough for them once they no longer own the means of production - they might have to work for The Man as opposed to being The Man.

Better to go work for the white man in a nice, wealthy, politically stable country run by other whiteys...

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-16/south-africa-wants-apology-from-dutton-over-farmers-comments/9554340 posted:

Bringing white South African farmers to Australia as part of a special humanitarian program would be a return to the White Australia policy, Greens leader Richard Di Natale has said.

"There's no debate as far as I'm concerned, the bloke is an out-and-out racist," Senator Di Natale said.

"According to Peter Dutton, if you're a white South African farmer you are going to make a great contribution, you're not going to bludge on welfare.

"But if you're not white, you won't do any of those things."

RDN... correct and good???

Now if only this sort of fire came out during election time or even membership renewal time.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

RDN knows that whites and non-whites both make fine au pairs

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
https://tvtonight.com.au/2018/03/gambling-ads-to-be-banned-during-live-sport.html

quote:

Gambling ads to be banned during Live sport

Gambling advertisements will be banned during the broadcast of Live sports between 5.00 am and 8.30 pm on commercial free-to-air TV, radio and pay TV from March 30.

“The new restrictions on gambling advertising supplement existing rules about gambling advertising during live sport and significantly enhance community safeguards during times when children are part of the audience,” said Australian Communications and Media Authority Chair, Nerida O’Loughlin.

“The new rules will also ensure that broadcasters make clear to audiences, including parents, when gambling advertising is prohibited in live sport programming.”

The ban had attracted some opposition from networks and sporting groups, but the government has also given networks a license reduction or money for sporting broadcasts.

Similar gambling advertising rules are currently proposed for online content service providers.

Free TV Australia:

ACMA will closely monitor their operation and after 12 months will consider whether to conduct a formal review of their effectiveness.

Free TV CEO Bridget Fair said, “Free TV is focussed on ensuring that our Code of Practice meets community expectations, including in relation to gambling advertising.”

Free TV has amended the Commercial Television Code of Practice to ban gambling ads in live sport broadcasts between 5am-8.30pm, and during a five-minute buffer before and after the event.

“These new restrictions will prevent gambling advertising being broadcast during live sports at times that children are likely to be watching,” Ms Fair said.

“The community expects that these restrictions will apply across all forms of media, including online. It’s very important that the legislation to apply similar restrictions to online players is put in place as quickly as possible,” Ms Fair said.

ASTRA:

ASTRA’s new rules were developed in conjunction with the industry and approved by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) and have been updated in the subscription television Codes of Practice.

The move addresses public concerns regarding gambling advertising during live sports to ensure safeguards are in place during times that children are likely viewing.

The ASTRA Codes include a conditional exemption from the new rules for sports channels with a very low audience share (0.5% of the viewing audience). The ACMA has placed strict limits around this exemption, which will ensure it is only available to the very small sports channels on the platform, and will not apply to any Fox Sports channel or to any nationally significant events. Existing gambling advertising limits will continue to apply to these small channels.

gently caress yes.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I was going to go to this to do a trip report for everyone, but things haven't worked out, sorry

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Not far enough

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

I was going to go to this to do a trip report for everyone, but things haven't worked out, sorry

Self care is a good thing, don't apologise

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Going to be one of those PowerPoint presentations that are solid walls of text. No images allowed.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Aesculus posted:

Now if only this sort of fire came out during election time or even membership renewal time.

You know what's happening tomorrow, right?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

quote:

Wesfarmers is going back to the future spinning out Coles, but will it pay off?

Gold finally falls from a plane and it's literally in Siberia
Odd headlines from the ABC today, I don't understand either

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

lol Craig McLachlan is using as a defence “my victim says oval office a lot and also is a sexual deviant” and the judge told him and Stuart littlemore to get hosed

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Cleretic posted:

You know what's happening tomorrow, right?

Labor will retain Batman?

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Edit: wrong thread

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Lol at Ian Goodenough prioritizing white people over his own race

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

quote:

"Violence and suffering affects all people universally," he told the ABC.

Thanks rich white man, good to know.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Anidav posted:

The ABC’s main television and radio news bulletins should cover more human interest stories, local news and hip pocket issues, the managing director Michelle Guthrie has said.

They already did this to the website and it was transparently designed to turn it away from constantly reporting on politics to barely covering it amongst a bunch of light entertainment. You have to make such an effort to see political reporting in Australia.

Also gently caress Peter Dutton. Home Affairs immediately and constantly proves to be a terrible mistake that is only going to get worse.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Does anyone else get the feeling like the Potato King is trying to set up a leadership challenge? There was the farmers thing and something else within the last couple of days (I'm tired and can't remember but it got him decent media attention), and he's dumb and we're near Newspoll 30...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

bell jar posted:

Labor will retain Batman?

Come on, man, all four people that care about the South Australian state election are really sad about you forgetting that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Whitlam posted:

Does anyone else get the feeling like the Potato King is trying to set up a leadership challenge? There was the farmers thing and something else within the last couple of days (I'm tired and can't remember but it got him decent media attention), and he's dumb and we're near Newspoll 30...

Probably.

He's taking advantage of Turnbull's weakness to push through as much of his own agenda as he can. He's probably ambitious enough and stupid enough to want to have a shot at the PM's job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
He's totally going to Gollum the Liberal leadership, just in time to go down with the ship.

• Locked thread