Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Not a trace of irony either 'cause really, screw those guys lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/973848908601352192

Are they robots? They have to be robots. I know nothing of making movies but I know that you should provide clean drinking water to humans, especially when they are doing physical activities.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

endolithic posted:

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/973848908601352192

Are they robots? They have to be robots. I know nothing of making movies but I know that you should provide clean drinking water to humans, especially when they are doing physical activities.

I'm just going to assume that every single one of Dan and Lindsay's quips from the past of "This one time I worked on a set where (X horrible thing)" are about TBF until proven otherwise.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Leal posted:

:emptyquote:

Also isn't SAO the one where a book details a graphic sex scene with an MMO character? I only know of that from MatPat doing some bit where he talks about SAO and pans the camera to the anime babe and goes "Hey! Stop looking at the sexy loli!" - His words, not mine.

The first draft of the original book had a legendarily awkward and explicit VR sex scene between the main character and his love interest that was thankfully cut for the actual real published version, but was on the Japanese version of LiveJournal long enough to get archived for eternity.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I think that the CA people are not professional filmmakers and that they have been winging their video making since the very beginning.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think that the CA people are not professional filmmakers and that they have been winging their video making since the very beginning.

Of the lot of them, Brad is the only real "filmmaker" of the bunch, and he's more in the Red Letter Media vein of "we know it's crap and looks like rear end, but we're having fun, so what do you care?" Compared to Doug and crew.

I mean Allison still works with Brad so that should be proof enough that he's on the level... hopefully :ohdear:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8CEUKJSmew&t=1843s

Every time we talk about To boldly flee, I think about that joke.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean Allison still works with Brad so that should be proof enough that he's on the level... hopefully :ohdear:

I think her collaboration with Clevin says all, really.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I remember watching Doug's stuff back in college and thinking it was entertaining. Yeah, I was dumb, whatever. I stopped watching when he did his Bart's Nightmare video and it was just the most unentertaining thing I'd seen on the site.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There were a bunch of To boldly flee commentaries back in the day. Any one really goes in-depth to how bad it was?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It was the worst thing since Eragon.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

There were a bunch of To boldly flee commentaries back in the day. Any one really goes in-depth to how bad it was?

Allison, Brad, and Phelan did one which I remember mostly just mocking it because it was poo poo.

Noah also did one but it was about how great an actor he is and how much people on the internet praised his performances and their depth, a thing I'm sure really happened for real

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

CharlestheHammer posted:

There isn’t any tentacle rape.

There is a lot of sexual assault in the second half
The 2nd season is even better when one the characters is revealed to be dying of AIDS in the real world. I remember going to some other forum and laughing about how dumb it was and man a lot of people got so upset at something so ridiculous.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

lornekates posted:

I'm just going to assume that every single one of Dan and Lindsay's quips from the past of "This one time I worked on a set where (X horrible thing)" are about TBF until proven otherwise.

Mine are mostly about BloodMania (which did finally come out last year, but was so awful I didn't even feel like dragging it much in public).

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

achillesforever6 posted:

The 2nd season is even better when one the characters is revealed to be dying of AIDS in the real world. I remember going to some other forum and laughing about how dumb it was and man a lot of people got so upset at something so ridiculous.

It sounds like another easy target to be pilloried.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The first draft of the original book had a legendarily awkward and explicit VR sex scene between the main character and his love interest that was thankfully cut for the actual real published version, but was on the Japanese version of LiveJournal long enough to get archived for eternity.

IIRC the author also straight up apologised for it and said "yeah that was garbage".

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

corn in the bible posted:

I remember watching Doug's stuff back in college and thinking it was entertaining. Yeah, I was dumb, whatever. I stopped watching when he did his Bart's Nightmare video and it was just the most unentertaining thing I'd seen on the site.

I'm even dumber because I kept watching until the site got redesigned and Blip died.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Barts nightmare did give us a fun retsupurae

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Solitair posted:

I'm even dumber because I kept watching until the site got redesigned and Blip died.
Hell same

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
to boldly flee was bad but i still have decent memories of SadPanda's deadpan, though i have no idea who he was or whatever else he did

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Sometimes I'm sad that I missed out on most of where people like Lindsay got their start - a lot of the videos, even if a bit amateurish, still seemed nice when I later watched them on Youtube, and there's a bunch that I only know of because they had a cameo on one of her videos (I think it was about it being okay to like The Little Mermaid). I basically had really lovely/no internet/laptops back in Israel, where I spent the aughts, and then I had a few years in grad school when I chose not to have internet at home at all to focus on school work.

But then when I read about how it ran, I think I'm okay with getting to know them all outside of that garbage fire.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Brad Jones has a bunch of stuff that never made it off Blip that he probably doesn’t care to revisit because it includes people from his life who were involved in what sounds like a lot of emotional pain. He had a whole roundtable series about every Bruno Matei movie.

Reading that twitter thread, I’m amazed at how young everyone was. Allison says she was 20 when she started with them, which just makes the endless destructive exploitation so much sleazier and more predatory. I mean, I guess I never noticed because I aged along with them, but it’s lovely that CA got along by exploiting and strong-arming people basically doing their first attempt at an adult job.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also, in the vein of horrible video-based exploitation, all of the Cracked video team just formed up as a new group called Small Beans. They want to get going as video producers again but are strictly podcasting at the moment because they have no money. There’s a lot of varied content. I’ve been listening to their movie review roundtable and a series Michael Swaim is doing where he talks about how he became an alcoholic and what it’s like, and then talks to a friend or family member about some aspect of addiction. He’s extremely open, and he gets his interview subjects to be very frank as well. It’s ultimately very life-affirming.

https://www.patreon.com/SmallBeans

Their relationship with Cracked leaks out at some points, and it sounds like gross exploitation of young people desperate for some kind of break in comedy or film.

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 16, 2018

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

business hammocks posted:

Also, in the vein of horrible video-based exploitation, all of the Cracked video team just formed up as a new group called Small Beans. They want to get going as video producers again but are strictly podcasting at the moment because they have no money. There’s a lot of varied content. I’ve been listening to their movie review roundtable and a series Michael Swaim is doing where he talks about how he became an alcoholic and what it’s like, and then talks to a friend or family member about some aspect of addiction. He’s extremely open, and he gets his interview subjects to be very frank as well. It’s ultimately very life-affirming.

https://www.patreon.com/SmallBeans

Their relationship with Cracked leaks out at some points, and it sounds like gross exploitation of young people desperate for some kind of break in comedy or film.

Michael Swaim was always my favorite Cracked member. I never would have guessed that he was an alcoholic.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Sarcopenia posted:

Michael Swaim was always my favorite Cracked member. I never would have guessed that he was an alcoholic.

Same, but then they added Seanbaby and WELP

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Sometimes I'm sad that I missed out on most of where people like Lindsay got their start - a lot of the videos, even if a bit amateurish, still seemed nice when I later watched them on Youtube, and there's a bunch that I only know of because they had a cameo on one of her videos (I think it was about it being okay to like The Little Mermaid). I basically had really lovely/no internet/laptops back in Israel, where I spent the aughts, and then I had a few years in grad school when I chose not to have internet at home at all to focus on school work.

But then when I read about how it ran, I think I'm okay with getting to know them all outside of that garbage fire.
Yeah its a shame there is a bunch of stuff missing forever due to being on Blip, hell a bunch of Spoony's stuff was saved because of some Russian Youtube translators.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah its a shame there is a bunch of stuff missing forever due to being on Blip, hell a bunch of Spoony's stuff was saved because of some Russian Youtube translators.

I'm grateful to that Russian channel for the Swat 4 LP.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So somewhat relevant to internet critics, it seems like someone made a children's book using the names and likenesses of the Game Grumps without permission.

https://twitter.com/RubberNinja/status/974420162030977024

https://www.amazon.com/Grumpy-Kid-Serious-Jack-Book-ebook/dp/B074WHK4B8

This is kinda hosed right? I'm not the only one who finds this gross?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Same, but then they added Seanbaby and WELP

What’s wrong with Seanbaby?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sponges posted:

I thought it was the other way around - Swaim was their favourite until Seanbaby eclipsed him.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Alacron posted:

So somewhat relevant to internet critics, it seems like someone made a children's book using the names and likenesses of the Game Grumps without permission.

https://twitter.com/RubberNinja/status/974420162030977024

https://www.amazon.com/Grumpy-Kid-Serious-Jack-Book-ebook/dp/B074WHK4B8

This is kinda hosed right? I'm not the only one who finds this gross?

hah, the grumpy kid, starring the game grumps as kids, and the characters even have the same names

probably not allowed, im no lawyer though

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

sponges posted:

I think what they mean is friendship ended With Michael Swaim now Sean baby is their best friend.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

to boldly flee was bad but i still have decent memories of SadPanda's deadpan, though i have no idea who he was or whatever else he did

Him and Welshy were together doing... I never watched anything he did either. I just remember the two of them did a couple of "poo poo TGWTG Folks Say" videos where they burned folks like Michaud, Doug, Noah and Blockbuster Buster pretty drat good and then they got booted from Channel Awesome shortly thereafter. I guess he was CA's resident composer for the site and its other talent, but gently caress me if I've ever actually seen anything he's done. Dude was like Deep 13 level Channel Awesome.

Not watching To Boldly Flee was one of the best decisions I've ever made, right up there with not going down into my basement and drilling a hole into my foot with a Black & Decker Power Pack despite the many opportunities to do so over the years.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I remember I wanted to send in some videos and try to get hired by MIKE MICHAUD and well, maybe I would have made good but probably I'd be hosed right good if anything came of it at all. He is trash in human form.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I was staying with my sister for a couple of days last month and we were talking about online video guys. Our tastes generally line up and she was asking me why is Nostalgia Critic so poo poo; I just told her that he got really popular doing his shtick and then never loving evolved even though people these days seem to more prefer more serious analysis.

I did get her onto Monster Factory, Hbomb and RedLetterMedia so that's a good thing.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

nine-gear crow posted:

Of the lot of them, Brad is the only real "filmmaker" of the bunch, and he's more in the Red Letter Media vein of "we know it's crap and looks like rear end, but we're having fun, so what do you care?" Compared to Doug and crew.

No, Ed Glazer is a filmmaker too.

Sad Panda did a lot of theme songs for others, but him and Welshy, well, the best way I can describe them is they were the Statler and Waldorf of CA. Welshy did some good videos on the SAW and Scream series, and on other films. Some of them have been preserved on Youtube, though some are gone because of contentID.

The thing about Channel Awesome back in the day was, aggregate sites like them were the only way to get exposure if you weren't on Youtube. If you were on Blip, sites liked CA were the only way to get noticed, since Blip's ability to promote talent was as robust as their business model. Youtube, deeply, deeply flawed as it is, gives you much more and better opportunities to get noticed nowadays.

The current Twitter thread (that's been going non-stop for two days) also shows just how many people have left/been "fired" from CA over the years. Far more people than I realized. (And yet, the Blockbuster Buster is allowed to continue his Dark Crusade against the very concept of comedy unabated)

The thread is also the first time I've seen producers that are still currently on CA joining in and admitting poo poo's hosed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Wolf posted:

The thread is also the first time I've seen producers that are still currently on CA joining in and admitting poo poo's hosed.

Even-odds on their employment changing enmasse inside of a day or two.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Bad Wolf posted:

I like the people coming in and going LEAVE CHANNEL AWESOME ALONE

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012
I'll probably be sounding like a defense of the walker brothers but every time i hear or see management issues with CA, I always think Mike Michaud. The dude has always been an rear end. One of the earliest times i saw this was when Angry Joe was 1st one the site, he ended up getting into a debate with a user for about 8 posts in the comment section before going "banned" over small but valid criticisms about the video.

I've seen his kind of site admin so many times it makes my head explode. The kind that stick to their own values in how the site should be run, change poo poo without the knowledge of the people who should be 100% aware of the changes. Never sort out any vital poo poo that's needed; Marzgurls mentioned in her interview where they never had private forums, TGWTG has had forums since loving day 1 and yet no area for the contributors outside of skype (question here, was anyone informed of the change from TGWTG to CA?). And finally, if the site owners even try to make a stink loud enough about something, it's a few steps away from salting the earth over whatever dumb poo poo he might have access to outside of the site.

I guess thats me being on the outside looking in, I just see Doug making dumb videos that occasionally are good background noise and being stuck with a fucktarded site admin.

*have never taken the time to watch to boldly flee in any form*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I'm just looking at all of this, and I'm just imagining what the expression on Asalieri's face must be while he's reading it.

• Locked thread