Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

GrandpaPants posted:

Monumental a deckbuilding Civ-like miniatures game that's entirely Kickstarter exclusive (bingo!). I'm not sure I like this trend of games that are entirely Kickstarter exclusive.

It's pretty drat expensive, too.

I know this is a weir dthing to nitpick, but the choices they made for Warlord baffle me. Ramses, OK, an actual political leader. But then there's Siegfried and Hercules, both purely mythological characters. And I don't think either of them were like, leaders of men. Then Mulan, who at least was a soldier although also not a leader and also probably mythical. And finally Miyamoto Musashi. A real dude, but his military service is a small part of his life, he spent most of his time getting famous by challenging people to duels.

I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I know this is a weir dthing to nitpick, but the choices they made for Warlord baffle me. Ramses, OK, an actual political leader. But then there's Siegfried and Hercules, both purely mythological characters. And I don't think either of them were like, leaders of men. Then Mulan, who at least was a soldier although also not a leader and also probably mythical. And finally Miyamoto Musashi. A real dude, but his military service is a small part of his life, he spent most of his time getting famous by challenging people to duels.

I don't get it.

I don't know if it bothers me per se, but it did raise an eyebrow, but then there's an entire Atlantis faction so :shrug:. If I bought it in Mare Nostrum, I can buy it here. I do kinda like the way that the actions are played, though, since it mitigates hand screw a bit. I do not like the market row, but who does?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't get it.

Especially since there are obvious good Warlords for each.
Greek - Alexander the Great or Leonidas
Chinese - Sun Tzu or pick any of the badasses from the Three Kingdoms era. Hell, go with Lu Bu if you want maximum recognition
Japanese - Oda Nobunaga
Denmark - Ragnar Lodbrok or (if he's not historical enough, historians are divided) one of his sons

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Monumental a deckbuilding Civ-like miniatures game that's entirely Kickstarter exclusive (bingo!). I'm not sure I like this trend of games that are entirely Kickstarter exclusive.

Looks like a game that is mostly about cards and could have been ~$50-60 and worth buying if they'd skipped the minis. Oh well.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Coriolis is publishing Emisarry Lost, a campaign for the book. It looks interesting, and I'm a fan of the game, though it does have some flaws. I don't know if I am that interested in the backstory or metaplot stuff. I would rather more tables and structure for using the setting as a sandbox.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Did Coriolis ever fix the problem of having no guidelines for handing out money? It otherwise looked interesting when a friend showed off his new purchase to my tabletop group, but money is a significant subsystem (to the point that the PCs start in debt to loan sharks for their ship) and yet I couldn't find anything on handling it.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Do you like the Tokusatsu genre? Do you like Savage Worlds? Then you need Savage Tokusatsu https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bpbgames/savage-tokusatsu-kaiju-mechs-and-heroes-for-savage

quote:

Tokusatsu is the Japanese word for any live action movie or television show that makes heavy use of special effects. The word's literal translation is "Special Filming."

Even if you aren't familiar with the word itself, you are familiar with the works that fall under its umbrella. Giant, lizard-like kaiju that breathe atomic energy, quirky teens that transform into superheroes to fight against aliens from the moon, and giant robots going blow for blow with one another are all fundamental works within the genre of tokusatsu.

The people behind this Kickstarter worked on aspects of Red Markets and/or are involved in RPG podcasts like Role Playing Public Radio. It's going to be a print on demand book through DrivethruRPG so it should be easy for them to get this out to backers without complication.

(Disclosure I know the people behind this KS)

clockworkjoe fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 15, 2018

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

clockworkjoe posted:

Do you like the Tokusatsu genre? Do you like Savage Worlds? Then you need Savage Tokusatsu https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bpbgames/savage-tokusatsu-kaiju-mechs-and-heroes-for-savage

The people behind this Kickstarter worked on aspects of Red Markets and/or are involved in RPG podcasts like Role Playing Public Radio. It's going to be a print on demand book through DrivethruRPG so it should be easy for them to get this out to backers without complication.

(Disclosure I know the people behind this KS)

I hope they're careful about never having anything even vaguely to do with Saban's Power Rangers. Previous kickstarters in this genre have got into serious trouble.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

NGDBSS posted:

Did Coriolis ever fix the problem of having no guidelines for handing out money? It otherwise looked interesting when a friend showed off his new purchase to my tabletop group, but money is a significant subsystem (to the point that the PCs start in debt to loan sharks for their ship) and yet I couldn't find anything on handling it.

They released the Atlas Companion, which does give some rules for generating missions and how much they should pay. It still leaves a lot vague though, which is definitely a weakness of the game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

clockworkjoe posted:

Well, I do like me some Savage Worlds and some Super Sentai so... sold.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

The Western genre, and derivatives thereof, has always contained a degree of Confederate apologia; "heroic and honorable Confederate veteran living as a masterless man out West" is a pretty stock protagonist figure.

See also: Malcom Reynolds.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

It's also Funforge, who have had some notorious difficulties with minis in their projects. Add two years onto the expected delivery date if you back it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Aces & 8s really played around with the history IIRC, to the point where the Mormon state of Deseret and Texas were independent nations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

moths posted:

Aces & 8s really played around with the history IIRC, to the point where the Mormon state of Deseret and Texas were independent nations.

That is barely playing around with history.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, the Republic of Texas was a real country from 1836 to 1846, and the Mormons tried to have a State of Deseret from roughly 1847 to 1850.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Neither persisted into post-ACW times though. It was a cool idea for a "what if?" history though.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Victoriana actually somehow did a better job of it, taking place pre-Civil War but with Texas as an independent nation along with California as an independent nation, the Republic of Yucatan actually succeeds and is allied to Texas against Mexico and William Walker's paramilitary takeover/white man invasion of Nicaragua succeeds. Though admittedly it's not really great as a whole because the Civil War is going to still happen albeit over the rights of robots because robots are enslaved as free labor instead of black and Native slaves and using robots instead of people as a reason for the war to happen is its own can of stupid worms.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

LatwPIAT posted:

See also: Malcom Reynolds.

Is it really apologia though? I don't say this to diminish the terribleness of the cause of the war but it seems overly simplistic to paint the soldiers that fought in the war and the politicians that started it with the same brush. There wasn't really a conscientious objector status available.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is it really apologia though? I don't say this to diminish the terribleness of the cause of the war but it seems overly simplistic to paint the soldiers that fought in the war and the politicians that started it with the same brush. There wasn't really a conscientious objector status available.

So, uh, you take any history classes after highschool?

Actually if you're not from the US you probably don't know this but yeah no that's apologia.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The Confederacy's entire, uh, thing was positioning poor whites in a situation where they thought they had to defend their superiority to poor blacks.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is it really apologia though?

No, I don't think it is, and I don't think it is in most cases where it comes up. Designers just realize that balkanization leads to more factions to draw on (and sell books for) and more innate conflict for your setting. If the Confederacy always appears, it's because it's a no-brainer: easy to identify and understand, comes with pre-made flags/symbols, doesn't stretch people's sense of plausibility. In that light it's the same as the second thing every dystopian/alt-history designer does for North America: pencilling in an independent Quebec. My main complaint is that it's lazy, not that it's stealth apologetics.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

The Confederacy's entire, uh, thing was positioning poor whites in a situation where they thought they had to defend their superiority to poor blacks.

not just the confederacy

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Serf posted:

not just the confederacy

no, but if we were going to list all of them we'd be here all day

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

fez_machine posted:

I hope they're careful about never having anything even vaguely to do with Saban's Power Rangers. Previous kickstarters in this genre have got into serious trouble.

Yeah, they're aware of that issue and have carefully avoided all mention of Saban properties for that reason.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Malcolm Reynolds, and Firefly's treatment of its Civil-War-oid backstory, actually falls into the "Lost Cause" apologia trap really hard -- where the Confederacy, or its proxy in this case, is treated as having fought a noble war for "freedom" and "rights" and being honorable for standing up against an oppressive government, while being vague or silent about what the rebels were actually standing up about. (I don't think Firefly ever makes the actual casus belli of Mal's war clear, besides generic "freedom." Given what examples we see of the rebel vs. central-galaxy cultures in Firefly, they may well have been fighting for the right to abuse sex workers, but that's its own can of worms.) Treating the Civil War as a noble and righteous act and an assertion of freedom is gross apologia, given that the only "right" the CSA was seceding for was the right to own chattel slaves. I agree that not every individual soldier needs to be treated as an embodiment of that fact, but if their characterization involves the concept of mourning their "noble cause," they're right there in the mire.

In general, anything that minimizes the degree to which the Confederacy existed and fought entirely for slavery is going to be Confederate apologia of a pretty revolting kind. A common alt-history trope that I've seen show up in a few tradgames products, and which I think someone else already mentioned, is the whole "well, actually the victorious CSA abolished slavery not long after the war" trope, which is just a way to pretend that the CSA meant and was founded on any principle other than "we should be able to treat other human beings as disposable livestock." Spoiler warning: it wasn't!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

Yeah, they're aware of that issue and have carefully avoided all mention of Saban properties for that reason.

Unfortunately if they even so much as mention Sentai or have something that might be misidentified as Saban IP when standing 10m away and squinting, that won't stop Saban from trying to shut them down. :(

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lemon-Lime posted:

Unfortunately if they even so much as mention Sentai or have something that might be misidentified as Saban IP when standing 10m away and squinting, that won't stop Saban from trying to shut them down. :(

That's scary. The pregen team is sorta Big Bad Beetle 'Borg-esque.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dawgstar posted:

That's scary. The pregen team is sorta Big Bad Beetle 'Borg-esque.

you mean Metal Heroes.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Antivehicular posted:

Malcolm Reynolds, and Firefly's treatment of its Civil-War-oid backstory, actually falls into the "Lost Cause" apologia trap really hard -- where the Confederacy, or its proxy in this case, is treated as having fought a noble war for "freedom" and "rights" and being honorable for standing up against an oppressive government, while being vague or silent about what the rebels were actually standing up about. (I don't think Firefly ever makes the actual casus belli of Mal's war clear, besides generic "freedom." Given what examples we see of the rebel vs. central-galaxy cultures in Firefly, they may well have been fighting for the right to abuse sex workers, but that's its own can of worms.) Treating the Civil War as a noble and righteous act and an assertion of freedom is gross apologia, given that the only "right" the CSA was seceding for was the right to own chattel slaves. I agree that not every individual soldier needs to be treated as an embodiment of that fact, but if their characterization involves the concept of mourning their "noble cause," they're right there in the mire.

In general, anything that minimizes the degree to which the Confederacy existed and fought entirely for slavery is going to be Confederate apologia of a pretty revolting kind. A common alt-history trope that I've seen show up in a few tradgames products, and which I think someone else already mentioned, is the whole "well, actually the victorious CSA abolished slavery not long after the war" trope, which is just a way to pretend that the CSA meant and was founded on any principle other than "we should be able to treat other human beings as disposable livestock." Spoiler warning: it wasn't!

Part of the problem with the various confederacy treatments is that real people think the actual confederacy was Good (tm) so anything that looks vaguely like that is hugely problematic because it feeds into this highly problematic cultural norm that the confederacy and its leadership were anything other than Bad People.

Reynolds in firefly is more or less analogous to the popular cultural stuff that tries to rehabilitate robert e lee. In a way the entire thing would be way less problematic if he was a german army officer analogue because no-one in the mainstream thinks that hitler and co were good dudes, but people erect statues about lee.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hostile V posted:

William Walker's paramilitary takeover/white man invasion of Nicaragua succeeds.

He did succeed and was overthrown by an international coalition months later. They were worried he had designs on expansion, he probably did, and took him out at the first opportunity. That alone would be a great campaign, removing Walker from power with extreme prejudice.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Part of the problem with the various confederacy treatments is that real people think the actual confederacy was Good (tm) so anything that looks vaguely like that is hugely problematic because it feeds into this highly problematic cultural norm that the confederacy and its leadership were anything other than Bad People.

Reynolds in firefly is more or less analogous to the popular cultural stuff that tries to rehabilitate robert e lee. In a way the entire thing would be way less problematic if he was a german army officer analogue because no-one in the mainstream thinks that hitler and co were good dudes, but people erect statues about lee.

The lost cause strain that worships Lee is downright bizarre to track. It has a hidden upside though - the century or so the Confederate apologists spent villifying Longstreet has kept him from taking centre stage as the friendly face of the Confederacy, and he's a lot drat better at that to a modern palate than most of his compatriots were.

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

no-one in the mainstream thinks that hitler and co were good

Uhhhh I’m not sure if this is still as true as it once was

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Mal is not a reluctant or apolitical soldier who happened to fight for the Space Confederacy: he's a true believer in the Space Confederacy cause.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Oh my sweet summer child. There are whole wargaming companies based on the idea that while Hitler was crazy, the Whermacht were heroically defending their country.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Knight Models have announced that the reports were incorrect and the Crappy Tosser Toy Soldier Game will be sold at retail. It's only the bigass bundle that is KS exclusive.

It's still going to be mediocre at best, but now you know.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The difference is everyone knows about World War 2 and the Nazis, while nobody gives a gently caress about, or is taught anything about the American Civil War outside of the USA beyond that it happened, so the confederate apologia stuff is meaningless to most of us. I for one had no idea Firefly's setting was a US civil war analogue.

I studied history electives in my senior years at high school, and the US civil war received about as much attention in my courses as did the English Civil War and the Meiji Restoration, which was more or less nothing. The Russian Revolution was a core topic, as was World War 2.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Mar 16, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

LatwPIAT posted:

Mal is not a reluctant or apolitical soldier who happened to fight for the Space Confederacy: he's a true believer in the Space Confederacy cause.

I wasn't really talking about Mal though, there's no argument from me that Firefly has aged into unwatchable territory. I was just replying to the latest post on the topic, I'm sorry I realize it might be confusing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

NTRabbit posted:

The difference is everyone knows about World War 2 and the Nazis, while nobody gives a gently caress about, or is taught anything about the American Civil War outside of the USA beyond that it happened, so the confederate apologia stuff is meaningless to most of us. I for one had no idea Firefly's setting was a US civil war analogue.
Yeah outside the US we don't really get the apologia so with something like Firefly the absence of slaves means there's no real reason to link it to the Civil War (since "evil central government vs freedom loving rebels" is a pretty generic setup).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah outside the US we don't really get the apologia so with something like Firefly the absence of slaves means there's no real reason to link it to the Civil War (since "evil central government vs freedom loving rebels" is a pretty generic setup).

Unfortunately, that doesn't mean it's not apologia.

Not that I think Firefly deliberately set out to whitewash the Confederacy - I think it's way more likely that Whedon just blindly copied a Western character archetype that did, without paying any attention to what he was copying from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lemon-Lime posted:

Unfortunately, that doesn't mean it's not apologia.

Not that I think Firefly deliberately set out to whitewash the Confederacy - I think it's way more likely that Whedon just blindly copied a Western character archetype that did, without paying any attention to what he was copying from.
This is my read on it too. Whedon has never been a deliberate confederate apologist. He was trying to make a space western and - in an early 00's way - didn't dig much beyond that.