Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Inept posted:

"let the working class eat poo poo" thanks for the Amazon fellatio

Look, I don't think it's a good thing from the perspective of the average resident of any of these places, but from the perspective of the individuals holding civic office, it's a nearly irresistible prospect for the reasons I presented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

rising house prices don't increase property taxes on the whole, just shifts the burden around to who has more expensive houses. this is misunderstood more than marginal income tax brackets

This is the truth right here. City hall or the county seat don’t go out and set a tax rate, each property in the taxing jurisdiction is allocated a pro rata share of the jurisdiction’s spending based on that property’s share of the total assessed value of property in that jurisidction. Modified by if the property is commercial/residential/agricultural, and California has to be weird about it, but you get the idea.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

rising house prices don't increase property taxes on the whole, just shifts the burden around to who has more expensive houses. this is misunderstood more than marginal income tax brackets

Completely depends upon the state and local laws about property taxes. I can tell you that rising home prices have certainly increased the overall property tax revenues in the city/county where I live, despite a state law mandate that property tax revaluations that occur every eight years are revenue-neutral. The easy work around for this is to wait for the property tax revaluation to come around and then to propose a local budget conveniently requiring a millage rate increase. So it is indeed revenue-neutral for about a month.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 16, 2018

Jan 11, 2004

crazypeltast52 posted:

This is the truth right here. City hall or the county seat don’t go out and set a tax rate, each property in the taxing jurisdiction is allocated a pro rata share of the jurisdiction’s spending based on that property’s share of the total assessed value of property in that jurisidction. Modified by if the property is commercial/residential/agricultural, and California has to be weird about it, but you get the idea.

It just depends, many local jurisdictions do in fact set their own property tax millage rates. To pretend like the city budget and the property tax pro rata allocations are just completely independent and that no city government official eagerly eyes rising home values as a source of new revenue and new spending is willfully oblivious in my opinion.

Jan 11, 2004
What I came to the thread to post:

http://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/378722-federal-appeals-court-tosses-out-obama-era-labor-dept-fiduciary-rule

Goodbye fiduciary rule. Very GWM for financial advisors.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
If the net assessed value of property in the municipality goes up, that does not necessarily mean any individual property's tax liability goes up.

But if the housing valuations go up across the board, then every property's tax liability will almost certainly increase, because municipal service costs will have to increase to meet the increased usage from more people in the municipality. (How do I know there are more people? The loving housing valuations went up.)

Those at the margin of affording their property taxes will certainly get pushed out. There's all kinds of racially disparate impacts from this, and a fancy term for how it is a problem, and everything.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

quote:

“Never before has the mere act of being a salesperson — of recommending the purchase of your company’s product —been deemed an act that marks you as a fiduciary,” the business groups argued in court documents.

I think that summarizes it best. Most of these shitheels are not advisors at all, but salesmen pretending to act as advisors.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Motronic posted:

I think that summarizes it best. Most of these shitheels are not advisors at all, but salesmen pretending to act as advisors.

Combine this with the industry's whining that millennials just don't see the value in financial advisors and when they inherit money they fire their parent's advisor and you get :discourse:

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Wait til they remove fiduciary restrictions from lawyers, and estate lawyers start secretly writing themselves into their clients wills overnight, charging 100% contingency fees, etc. :allears:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Tipps posted:

Wait til they remove fiduciary restrictions from lawyers, and estate lawyers start secretly writing themselves into their clients wills overnight, charging 100% contingency fees, etc. :allears:

We're not lawyers, just salesmen selling legal products! :capitalism:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

It just depends, many local jurisdictions do in fact set their own property tax millage rates. To pretend like the city budget and the property tax pro rata allocations are just completely independent and that no city government official eagerly eyes rising home values as a source of new revenue and new spending is willfully oblivious in my opinion.

Unless there is some statutory cap on mill rates that the municipality is running into, those factors are more driven by general economic trends, rather than the specific values of the properties. The city spending more is why the taxes are going up, not because the assessed value went up. A pool of properties that sees their assessed values doubled without any change in municipal spending will not see a change in taxes unless other moving parts come into play.

I would attribute the observed trend that governments spend more in good times when values are typically up and less in bad times when values are typically down.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently learning how to dropship is MLM territory:
https://www.gimletmedia.com/reply-all/117-the-worlds-most-expensive-free-watch#episode-player

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
It's almost as if running a successful business takes more than just a few youtube videos and 10 minutes setting up a Shopify storefront.

But if you send me a check for 394.50, I will tell you the actual secrets to running a successful business.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

(How do I know there are more people? The loving housing valuations went up.)

I don't disagree with this post overall, but would note that there are places where property values go up due to outside speculation rather than an actual influx of people.

That said, if a municipality isn't milking those speculators for all they've got, then they're not doing their job right.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Another refinancing application denied. We've done everything; moved to China to avoid high taxes and dedicate more than 50% of our limited teacher salary to my partner's student loans of $80k. Not seeing the light. Needing encouragement.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/84xsob/another_refinancing_application_denied_weve_done/

quote:

"Hello, you have a new message from [Lender Name] regarding your student loan application. Please login to see your new message."

F*ck. Another failed application to refinance my wife's, I mean our, student loans. Wait a minute, better login and check. Yep. That's it.

We got married 6 months ago, in October. Had met at a small, US Midwest university 5 years ago, worked on a team together a couple years after that. Dated different people. Didn't see anything of each other for a couple years. Fast forward –> We're both in China in a third tier city with max 30 or less foreigners and no English services. I've been there about a year – looking for meaning, dying from loneliness – and her, a new arrival. Cue romance, dating, living together, getting a puppy, and settling in. She makes life possible.

I knew she had loans. She was always open about that. She got screwed on her FAFSA application way-back-when and her dad was willing to co-sign, but that's it. 76k private loans and a newly discovered $24k in federal loans that some rando in the university office signed her up for without clearly communicating that to her or providing documentation(!).

I do all the finances. I meticulously track our credit accounts, scores, taxes, and figure out projections of where we could end up if we tackled her loans using a variety of approaches. Her private loan issuer has regularly declined to provide her original documentation, which would help us prove that she signed up for fixed interest rates – which have miraculously become variable, and have jumped from the OG 8% to 11-11.25%.

As two teachers we make a livable wage here, about $55k together annually. Our employer covers local tax and housing, allowing us to dedicate over 50% of our income to our loans. With a low interest loan and a lot of discipline, we believe that we would be able to knock out the loans in about 3 years.

Problem is, now we've reached an impasse. My mental health is shot. No insurance and no mental health providers available in English (or in the country, for that matter) within a reasonable travel distance, and no community to root ourselves in emotionally. I can't turn my back on my partner (and pup), but I am really starting to crumble and cave inward emotionally. I've started becoming physically ill every time I neared our workplace, have developed a number of physical ailments, and have contemplated ahem poor life choices

Moving to the States is a non-starter. Two non-certified English teachers will never be able to maintain our current loan payments of $1200.00 per month, even assuming I was able to take on employment in my mental state. Lowering our loan payments with deferral or according to our income would result in a torrent of additional capitalized interest over time, extending this nightmare of debt.

Moving to another city or country would require starting over again, a new financial investment that would extend the financial burden.

Remaining here feels like choosing my casket. Only married 6 months, and we're already so emotionally distant from each other due to my stress and her resultant guilt.

I've applied for refinancing opportunities, but either we need to source USA-based income, or for those lenders accepting foreign income: our income requires a co-signer, and we don't have any available. Today's failed application was my last hope. I just don't know what more I can do.

The insufferable posing style can probably be chalked up to "non-certified english teacher". But I have no idea what this guy is expecting for "encouragement." He married a boat anchor. Because he was isolated in a foreign country and it was the first familiar thing he found. Great basis for a relationship.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Motronic posted:

Another refinancing application denied. We've done everything; moved to China to avoid high taxes and dedicate more than 50% of our limited teacher salary to my partner's student loans of $80k. Not seeing the light. Needing encouragement.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/84xsob/another_refinancing_application_denied_weve_done/

The insufferable posing style can probably be chalked up to "non-certified english teacher". But I have no idea what this guy is expecting for "encouragement." He married a boat anchor. Because he was isolated in a foreign country and it was the first familiar thing he found. Great basis for a relationship.

drat Mo, that's fuckin COLD.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
He sounds a lot more like an anchor than she does, imho.

But I've said it before and I'll say it again - never :golfclap: marry :golfclap: below :golfclap: your :golfclap: caste

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Agreed, but she's the financial boat anchor that he moored to his sadbrains.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Motronic posted:

...why didn't he just move back to the USA? Sigh. Humans.

Also isn't 76+24=100? Or did I bad with reading?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

SiGmA_X posted:

Because no young, childfree couple could ever live on $55,000 a year because's he's depressed as poo poo and instantly thinks of all solutions as impossible

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SiGmA_X posted:

He's a non certified ESL teacher, not a math teacher. :eng99:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

But I've said it before and I'll say it again - never :golfclap: marry :golfclap: below :golfclap: your :golfclap: caste

A lot of Goons are untouchable though.

We absolutely need other people to marry below their caste.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

(How do I know there are more people? The loving housing valuations went up.)

I’m not sure it works that way always. It means more people (or wealthier people) want to live there, maybe.

When there’s a big IPO event in the valley, housing prices tend to rise, but not because there’s more housing stock to accommodate new people. There’s just more money being thrown at housing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Because no young, childfree couple could ever live on $55,000 a year because's he's depressed as poo poo and instantly thinks of all solutions as impossible

Pfft, some powdered horseshoe crab boiled in tea and drank through a filter made of ox hair will fix that right up.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

SiGmA_X posted:

If I were to read that charitably I assume he isn't counting the 24k federal loan as real yet. Given how he described it, it seems that he feels the federal loan itself was fraudulently taken out.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Pfft, some powdered horseshoe crab boiled in tea and drank through a filter made of ox hair will fix that right up.

6/10, hit center mass there but need some endangered animals to really make it soar.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Guest2553 posted:

6/10, hit center mass there but need some endangered animals to really make it soar.

Pffft, some powdered pangolin boiled in tea and drank through a filter made of rhinoceros horn will fix that right up.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Motronic posted:

Agreed, but she's the financial boat anchor that he moored to his sadbrains.

Two anchors on the ocean floor, chained together for some reason.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Pekinduck posted:

With the dog and one other dependent, we could have four anchors at the edge of an undersea cliff...

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pekinduck posted:

Please don’t doxx me.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Raldikuk posted:

If I were to read that charitably I assume he isn't counting the 24k federal loan as real yet. Given how he described it, it seems that he feels the federal loan itself was fraudulently taken out.
Yeah I think your assumption is correct, but lol. Poor guy. Divorce -> Come back to USA -> Get sadbrain drugs and a real job!

I'm confused by why he didn't do steps 2&3 before he met this woman, if he was so unhappy with China...

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I understand the mindset that would lead to “move to a foreign country where you don’t speak the language and teach English there without credentials”, but I really don’t understand “move to a foreign country to teach English without credentials but also don’t socialize with the natives and also live somewhere with only a handful of other foreigners.”

Do the foreigners who live in China to teach English just not speak/pick up Chinese, or what?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Colin Mockery posted:

I understand the mindset that would lead to “move to a foreign country where you don’t speak the language and teach English there without credentials”, but I really don’t understand “move to a foreign country to teach English without credentials but also don’t socialize with the natives and also live somewhere with only a handful of other foreigners.”

Do the foreigners who live in China to teach English just not speak/pick up Chinese, or what?

almost without exception, for various reasons

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

almost without exception, for various reasons

There was a recent great story in /r/relationships with someone in this position who started hooking up with some chinese girl in his building. They each know like 3 words of each other's language and he was asking if he should ask "someone I've never actually had a conversation with" to move in with him.

Like....how? That has to be an epic charades game.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
See also "the JET program".

Their forums runneth over with comedy gold every year as without fail, double-digit numbers of weeaboos who had never previously left their state experience mental breakdowns, not infrequently in public, for those exact reasons.

Turns out living in :siren: GLORIOUS NIPPON :siren: doesn't match their Blade Runner/animu fantasies when they get posted to the bumfuck countryside.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

crazypeltast52 posted:

With the dog and one other dependent, we could have four anchors at the edge of an undersea cliff...

Not quite South China Seas, but This couple contributed their anchor recently.

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/84tyir/bosses_30s_mf_want_to_lower_my_20f_pay/ posted:

For context, I’m a 20 year-old girl going to college and I gave up some really good job offers for this babysitting because my grandma (closest person I have to a parent) wanted me to focus on my studies and not stress about a full-time job on the side.

I wasn’t against this, initially the pay was great ($10/hour), which gives me roughly anywhere between $30 and $50 a week, and up to around $160 a month depending on how much I sit them. It isn’t much, but it helps cover food expenses and compensates for the little my dad gives me. I’m lucky enough that my grandma offered to cover my rent, but my budget is still tight.

I’ve been at this job since September, I pick up two 2 year-old twin girls at daycare, dress them, push their stroller a few miles (about a 20min walk) back home, play with them, cook their dinner and then take public transportation back home. So far, it’s all good.

The thing is, I do a lot of overtime. I get that they’re busy people (both parents are doctors), and I’ve covered a few times when I was available. I’m okay with that since it gets me some extra bucks. Thing is, they also get me to do evening/night jobs when they go out. This has happened three times this month. They live close to a very sketchy neighborhood that I have to go through to get home, and walking past there at night is just a big no-no, so I usually take an uber. The trip is roughly around $10, which is an hour’s pay at this job. They’ve never reimbursed me the trips despite me telling them.

Now, yesterday I went and did my job as always. I asked for last month’s pay, since they hadn’t given it to me yet. I was paid until yesterday’s sitting. But before giving me the money, the dad asks if I’m okay with my pay being lowered, supposedly because I do a lot of hours already (from $10 to $8/hour). I was taken aback because we hadn’t discussed this before and he seemed to want an immediate answer. I told him I’d think about it.

I counted what I made on average per month, and lowering to $8/hour would also lower my monthly salary by around $40. It probably isn’t much, but it is almost a week’s pay with what I made until now, and pays a week’s worth of food at an inexpensive store.

I like the kids, but they’re also very rambunctious, which I guess is normal for their age. But it takes me over 30 minutes at daycare just to get them ready because they’re never sitting still. Overall, I guess I’m doing a lot of work for just $8, and I’m thinking of refusing and maybe quitting this for a more serious and better-paying job.

I really need advice, what do you think about the situation? Is this normal? How do I politely tell them no, without seeming greedy about the money?

TL;DR: Parents of twin girls I babysit want to lower my pay. I do a lot of work and overtime because I need it, but I’m feeling discouraged now that they want to lower my salary. It feels like too much work for very little pay.

A few people have pointed out that those are some slave wages by people who could pay better. BWM more on the doctors imo because that $40 a month they're trying to save in under-the-table payments will result in them losing their mark and having to pay a better wage.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 17, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Motronic posted:

There was a recent great story in /r/relationships with someone in this position who started hooking up with some chinese girl in his building. They each know like 3 words of each other's language and he was asking if he should ask "someone I've never actually had a conversation with" to move in with him.

Like....how? That has to be an epic charades game.

wasn't there a pick thread in gbs talking about how there were married couples like that in places

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Colin Mockery posted:

This. It is very difficult even for racial Chinese (outside of China) who grow up in a Chinese-speaking household to achieve good fluency for both speaking and writing. Chinese is commonly rated as among the most difficult languages to achieve fluency in.

John Smith fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 17, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Krispy Wafer posted:

They know. Non-profits were among the biggest opponents of the new tax bill.

I guess churches think people will keep giving 10% even if there's no tax advantage. Good luck with that and I eagerly look forward to those new Trump regrets.

Yup. People who were just giving to get a tax break are going to shut off like a faucet.

Edit: Woah, I really need to refresh this page more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Guest2553 posted:

Not quite South China Seas, but This couple contributed their anchor recently.

A few people have pointed out that those are some slave wages by people who could pay better. BWM more on the doctors imo because that $40 a month they're trying to save in under-the-table payments will result in them losing their mark and having to pay a better wage.
I just don't understand. $10? $8?! Not >$20? Must be some poor doctors if they're trying to lower the already slave wages...