Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Quorum posted:

There is absolutely no way I would convict that woman.

I'm pretty sure she's eligible for sainthood for somehow having the restraint to not finish the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

mdemone posted:

My dad died about a month ago from a Type II glioma in his brain and the only reason I mention it is because it reminds me of Mueller in the White House. Too slow to watch, too hidden to see, until it's way too late.

Sorry about you're dad :smith:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

mobby_6kl posted:

Haven't seen it, thanks!

I've heard people pronounce "Mueller" before of course but I still can't get over that it's pronounced like "Mulder" despite the spelling specifically indicating otherwise. Ah, the English language.

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

I thought it rhymed with "Bueller" the first time I read it. Doesn't sound quite as imposing that way
Only one way to find out for sure... when he states his name for the record. (My guess is it's like Bueller)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

CommieGIR posted:

The best part is the dickhead that got stabbed claiming he "wang-chun'ed" his way to survival, rather than his girlfriend having a change of heart and calling 911.

It's a typo, he actually Wang Chung-ed his way out!

"Rip it up
Move down
Rip it up
Move it down to the ground
Rip it up
Cool down
Rip it up
And get the feeling not the word.

Ev'rybody have fun tonight
Ev'rybody have fun tonight
Ev'rybody Wang Chung tonight"

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Just a reminder that the pee tapes are real.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

Democrats’ Abortion Problem
It’s not hard-liners like Dan Lipinski. It’s “personally opposed” politicians like Conor Lamb.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/03/the-problem-with-conor-lambs-pro-choice-hedge.html

I remember people saying that Kaine's "personal politics" and his real politics were totally disconnected when he got picked for VP and there were concerns about him. It turns out that the personal ideology of someone is what they really push for even if they have to do it on the down low.

Seriously Kaine can't even keep up the socially liberal part of the fiscally conservative but socially liberal farce.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 16, 2018

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Groovelord Neato posted:

Democrats’ Abortion Problem
It’s not hard-liners like Dan Lipinski. It’s “personally opposed” politicians like Conor Lamb.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/03/the-problem-with-conor-lambs-pro-choice-hedge.html

You're right, it would be better if the other guy won and none of us should be happy lamb ousted a GOP guy

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

A libertarian agreeing with Tom Morello about something?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

WoodrowSkillson posted:

You're right, it would be better if the other guy won and none of us should be happy lamb ousted a GOP guy

keep swinging for those fences.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
According to Wikipedia his paternal great-great grandfather was named Müller so the mue- is probably just an Americanized spelling.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Maybe it's not about a stupid leftist slap fight but serious consideration that bad restrictions on women's rights are coming from within the party that is supposed to be on the side of women's rights. If you just stick your head in the sand every time these guys do something problematic and yell RED STATE it's going to be a much bigger issue when these people start voting along with Republicans for unnecessary intravaginal ultrasounds. People and their inherent beliefs aren't so easily divorced despite their promises they aren't.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm kind of curious if Mueller has a source in the WH, and if he's about to get fired he tosses out something awful to make canning him look worse.

Guy is feeding off a fire hose of intelligence so illegal in nature he had had to spend a year making an obvious "Yeah no poo poo Trump is guilty, here's a dozen of his flunkies on intercepted calls incriminating themselves" case through other plausibly-legitimate but clearly guided-by-surveillance means.

Of course he has people wearing wires in the White House.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Whatever, being "personally opposed" to abortion is a fig leaf and always has been. If you don't think it's the government's place to tell women what they must do with their bodies then you're fine, even if you personally think that abortion is an undesirable thing. Policies that promote reductions in abortion without any infringement on women's rights (like comprehensive sex ed, better access to birth control, and less expensive childcare and preschool) are all well within the progressive wheelhouse.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bedshaped posted:

Sorry about you're dad :smith:

Thanks. :unsmith:

Are we going to get this Infrastructure Day kicked off or what? I don't have all morning to :f5:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dietrich posted:

Whatever, being "personally opposed" to abortion is a fig leaf and always has been. If you don't think it's the government's place to tell women what they must do with their bodies then you're fine, even if you personally think that abortion is an undesirable thing. Policies that promote reductions in abortion without any infringement on women's rights (like comprehensive sex ed, better access to birth control, and less expensive childcare and preschool) are all well within the progressive wheelhouse.

d-did you read the article?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah if a person is "personally against" abortion and uses his or her position to promote policies that actually reduce it without infringing on women's rights like real sex education, free birth control, family planning, etc then I'm all for that. However typically these types of religiously motivated people just use their power (like Kaine has shown) to just buy into the Republican argument that you need to punish women (particularly lower income ones) that want abortions and push stuff that actively increases unwanted pregnancies like abstinence only education.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 16, 2018

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Well clearly it’s better that Lamb was elected, and were I a resident of his district I would have voted and helped him win. But perhaps the thing to keep in mind is to keep these people at arm’s length.

There are going to be a lot of representatives you’ll disagree with, and it’s better to have one you slightly agree with than one totally opposed to you. But when it comes time to enact better policies these are the kind of people that need to be pressured the most and are most likely to let us down.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

mdemone posted:

Thanks. :unsmith:

Are we going to get this Infrastructure Day kicked off or what? I don't have all morning to :f5:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/974422724419444737

:shrug:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm more curious about where he finds people who can keep a secret. Seems like every time we hear about something, like this recent subpoena, it was something that got done weeks ago.

It's weird to see a group of government officials who can actually maintain information security in 2018.

Uh... leakers of confidential stuff are the exception not the norm, especially in legal circles where it can get your rear end in serious trouble or torpedo a case. That's why media people like Maggie go to such absurd lengths to maintain their access.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

kaxman posted:

According to Wikipedia his paternal great-great grandfather was named Müller so the mue- is probably just an Americanized spelling.

Assuming that his name is German, the ü can be transliterated to ue in written text (similarly, ö -> oe and ä -> ae, it should not be written as just “u” because that’s a different letter). It’s not really an Americanization but more of a “if you don’t have a ü on your kezboard then use ue.”

So Müller and Mueller are the same exact name.

That said, it’s a name. You pronounce it the way the person says it’s pronounced.

e: It’s not really the exact same name in the sense of “all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares” way. If a German dude had the name Müller then you write Müller, and if his name was Mueller then you’d write Mueller. But if you’re typing Müller’s name and don’t have ü, you must write Mueller, which in this case would be treated as equal to Müller for technical difficulties. But you would never write Müller for someone who spells his name Mueller.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 16, 2018

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

kaxman posted:

Replacing umlauts with an "e" after the vowel is a pretty common Americanization, yeah.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Are there people who are somehow actively pro abortion

"Personally opposed" is good cover language because it implies opposition to legal abortion but in fact it only means that you personally are not happy about your day job as an abortionist

I'm personally opposed to getting out of bed in the morning

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The right answer, for (cis) men at least, is, "I'm not personally pro- or anti-abortion because I can't personally find myself in a situation where I could choose to have or not have one, and it's not any of my goddamn business. I will support unequivocally a woman's right to choose what to do with her own body, and I will support policies to improve women's sexual and reproductive health and reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies."

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/974645061693726727

The Republican Party is a death cult.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Look im fine with loving getting rid of Christianity and Catholicism but until we actively start shunning religious people from the party this is what we are going to have to deal with.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Kaine then later removed all funding for abstinence-based sex Ed once facts came out showing they didn’t work, but sure, he’s actually Bad and Wrong and a Secret Republican so let’s hate him for it

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/12/AR2007111201716.html

Please ignore his 100% score from NARAL on Senate votes, it’s impossible to be personally against abortion and also pro-choice

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/tim-kaine-abortion-predicament-225053

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

dwarf74 posted:

Replacing umlauts with an "e" after the vowel is a pretty common Americanization, yeah.

Fun fact, the umlaut symbol originated from writing a tiny "e" after or above an umlauted vowel. So it's really a reversion to how it was originally written

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

To be fair to Kaine as well he has also come out against unnecessary intravaginal ultrasounds when McDonnell was pushing them.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Evergreen tweet

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/974644773368803328

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I am 100% cool with abortion, I think it's a very good thing that abortion exists. The concept of abortion doesn't phase me in the least.

That tech deck picture from two pages back is very funny and I'm not sure why.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
General "Mad Dog" Mattis was on the Theranos board and before that was an advocate for selling the the (fake) technology to the military.

https://www.vox.com/2018/3/16/17124288/mattis-theranos-board-trump

quote:

Mattis not only served on Theranos’s board during some of the years it was perpetrating the fraud after he retired from US military service, but he earlier served as a key advocate of putting the company’s technology (technology that was, to be clear, fake) to use inside the military while he was still serving as a general.

brockan
Mar 9, 2014
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/974611017249542144?s=19

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Rampant Dwickery posted:

Let me just go ahead and stop you right there.

His staff can barely stand him. The last time Trump wasn't filtered or held back by his staff he almost got into a proper fight with Mitch. I'm not saying they won't try their best to survive his poo poo but there is only so much humans can take.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

d-did you read the article?

Yeah, it's about Tim Kaine. Look, any practicing Catholic politician is probably going to use the "personally opposed" fig leaf. Judge not by personal beliefs, but by actions. Just because Kaine used that line and then went anti-choice doesn't mean every candidate that uses that line will go anti-choice.

I don't think the Democratic party is in a position to demand ideological purity in every candidate at this point. Districts like PA-18 are going to require some fig leafs to overcome a 20 point GOP lean, and we can be OK with that. Be mad if those candidates turn into the Dem version of the freedom caucus.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the fig leaf doesn't work was a part of the article.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

skeleton warrior posted:

Kaine then later removed all funding for abstinence-based sex Ed once facts came out showing they didn’t work, but sure, he’s actually Bad and Wrong and a Secret Republican so let’s hate him for it

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/12/AR2007111201716.html

Please ignore his 100% score from NARAL on Senate votes, it’s impossible to be personally against abortion and also pro-choice

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/tim-kaine-abortion-predicament-225053

But if dems aren't actually bad why do I keep insisting that they are?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Look im fine with loving getting rid of Christianity and Catholicism but until we actively start shunning religious people from the party this is what we are going to have to deal with.

No, that's bullshit. Do Muslim politicians ever say, "well, I'm opposed to alcohol consumption personally, but I support the right of people to buy and drink alcohol?" No, they just don't loving mention their personal opinions on it at all. Your personal opinions make no difference unless they affect the policies you support, so keep them to yourself unless you plan to make it a policy issue.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Radish posted:

Maybe it's not about a stupid leftist slap fight but serious consideration that bad restrictions on women's rights are coming from within the party that is supposed to be on the side of women's rights. If you just stick your head in the sand every time these guys do something problematic and yell RED STATE it's going to be a much bigger issue when these people start voting along with Republicans for unnecessary intravaginal ultrasounds. People and their inherent beliefs aren't so easily divorced despite their promises they aren't.

I guess I can see some merit in the argument that "I'm pro-choice but personally against abortion" wins zero Republican votes but alienates some Democratic voters, while pro-life Democrats might alienate the same number of Democrats but win some Republicans, but yeah, if the outcome is institutionalized rape-via-ultrasonographer then there's a big problem. I mean, I guess that if the Republican wins you still have women being sexually assaulted by healthcare providers but also potentially lose the caucus majority that would allow Democrats to advance their own legislation (and possibly refuse to bring that bill to a vote in the first place), but I'm going to go with "having staunch pro-life Democrats undermine the party's overall goal to protect abortion rights is going to lead to even more disillusionment with the party and further cut into the poor voter turnout that haunts us every midterm election."

Primary as far left as you can, but then show the gently caress up and vote for Whoever Is Statistically Most Likely To Beat The Republican, Even If They Are Not Perfect. Every election, every time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hellblazer187 posted:

But if dems aren't actually bad why do I keep insisting that they are?

lol pulling this bullshit when a bunch are helping repeal dodd-frank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Tim Kaine is plenty bad regardless of his shift on abortion.

• Locked thread