Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rock Puncher posted:

ME2 was sullied by collectors and cerberus

It absolutely was, but in spite of which it still easily cleared the bar for :zaeed: good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

ME1 was a game that suggested greatness, but really bungled the execution most of the time, and unfortunately a lot of the nostalgia laser focused on the parts they were right to discard.

The setting for ME1 really is the star. It was Star Trek by way of Babylon 5 with humanity as an emerging power while still very much being on the back foot. Mass Effect 2 skips over the transition of power as humanity basically explodes across the galaxy and integrates into spheres of influence in the two years you spend dead. Rather than being the frontier like things were in ME1, it's Firefly in tone and way more human-centric. And it loses the charm of humanity just being one of the several races in the galaxy. Suddenly they're the most importantest ever.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 16, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

chiasaur11 posted:

ME2 was the highwater mark. ME3 was alright with some really bad parts, which unfortunately include the opening and the ending (the original ending, I mean. The revised ending is merely eh.)

ME1 was a game that suggested greatness, but really bungled the execution most of the time, and unfortunately a lot of the nostalgia laser focused on the parts they were right to discard.

the revised ending is worse than the original

and i'm still mad about the original ending

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Sir this is a gaming food drive thru

i think i'm gonna throw up dude

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The setting for ME1 really is the star. It was Star Trek by way of Babylon 5 with humanity as an emerging power while still very much being on the back foot. Mass Effect 2 skips over the transition of power as humanity basically explodes across the galaxy and integrates into spheres of influence in the two years you spend dead. Rather than being the frontier like things were in ME1, it's Firefly in tone and way more human-centric. And it loses the charm of humanity just being one of the several races in the galaxy. Suddenly they're the most importantest ever.

The crowning turd was the ME3 war map where apparently humans have more space than the rest of the council combined and where there is apparently nothing else in the galaxy besides the council and the terminus systems.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I'm glad people are understanding that while ME2 might not be a bad game it was bad for the series in many ways

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I'm glad people are understanding that while ME2 might not be a bad game it was bad for the series in many ways

Everyone always knew that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It also showed that you don't need a good or terribly smart plot to make a great Mass Effect game. ME2 railroaded ME3 in some unfortunate directions, but 3's real problems are all mostly its own.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't think Mass Effect 2 showed anything other than it's really difficult to unify an entire trilogy of games across 5 years without a solid roadmap, even moreso when your narrative directors turn over between projects.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

corn in the bible posted:

Everyone always knew that.

Everyone except Mass Effect 3 fans :)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is there a pattern to one hit kill attacks? I'm pretty sure I've now died multiple times at almost full health and shield. As a vanguard they feel arbitrary and a little bullshit.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Greetings ME2 was :mediocre: revisionists

You are extremely edgy and cool

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Moola posted:

Greetings ME2 was :mediocre: revisionists

You are extremely edgy and cool

I never played it, but it sounds like a masterpiece compared to Andromeda

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
its easily one of the best games that came out in the 360 era

and probably one of the best of games of all time

ya'll trippin

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

ME2 is legendary for how playable it is. You start up a new game with any configuration and it just flows with hardly a wasted scene all the way to its finale. It truly is the video game equivalent of My Cousin Vinny.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

ya'll trippin

I wish. Please give me some of what you're smoking because one of the best games of that era holy :laffo:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It is.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Moola posted:

ya'll trippin

he's right

i played through a 3rd or 4th time as a geth

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Gameplay was good for a cover shooter, story was trash, it looked good. One of the best games of all time.

Are you working for PC Gamer?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

TBQH I can't even remember any other games made in 2010.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

orcane posted:

Gameplay was good for a cover shooter, story was trash, it looked good. One of the best games of all time.

Are you working for PC Gamer?

we get it your cool as gently caress

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ME1 was dogshit.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
the leap in graphics from ME1 to ME2 is one of those times where i remember being astounded by the improvement

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The setting for ME1 was so sterile and not even coherent (it's Babylon 5 by Star Trek by Aliens by Battlestar Galactica by Starship Troopers by) and I'm extremely disturbed that people apparently reacted strongly to it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

the leap in graphics from ME1 to ME2 is one of those times where i remember being astounded by the improvement

Same but also everything else about it

It was a very good game shut up nerds

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I understand why ME3 is disliked even though I like it a lot and that's fine because we're all folks, but thinking ME1 is better than ME2 is a sign of some serious problems imo

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

exquisite tea posted:

TBQH I can't even remember any other games made in 2010.

Fallout: New Vegas?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Between ME2, New Vegas and Red Dead Redemption, 2010 would've been a great year for games even if they didn't release anything else that year. And I don't even like ME2 all that much.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

It was a very good game shut up nerds

the hottest of takes

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
ME2 improved the combat, had some cool companions and loyalty missions, but the main story is horrible garbage.

Also poe's law getting a workout in this thread

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rock Puncher posted:

ME2 improved the combat, had some cool companions and loyalty missions, but the main story is horrible garbage.

The main story is extremely good. The nice thing about being part 2 of 3 is that it can be all action and you don't have to deal with poo poo like worldbuilding, stupid amounts of exposition or introducing characters (or the converse poo poo of having to wrap up every loose end which happens in the last bit of a trilogy), which is probably why the game is so incredibly well paced.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rock Puncher posted:

I really enjoyed ME2, but it is sorely lacking a second act for what is essentially a heist movie. The game would've really benefited from some group assignments after bringing everyone together, just to get the characters interacting with each-other more before THE MISSION.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
2 is the best because it had the least "Reapers" poo poo, which was the worst part of ME

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The main story is extremely good. The nice thing about being part 2 of 3 is that it can be all action and you don't have to deal with poo poo like worldbuilding, stupid amounts of exposition or introducing characters, which is probably why the game is so incredibly well paced.

seriously can't tell if you're serious or not.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rock Puncher posted:

seriously can't tell if you're serious or not.

Worldbuilding, exposition, infodumps, and things like that suck rear end. They're the bane of all genre fiction and generally just drag poo poo to a halt.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Moola posted:

2 is the best because it had the least "Reapers" poo poo, which was the worst part of ME
I thought everything involving Sovereign was great, but I doubt BioWare had any idea what to do with the Reaper plotline afterwards so they just kinda made it up as they went along and then we ended up with what we saw in ME3.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really enjoyed ME2, but it is sorely lacking a second act for what is essentially a heist movie. The game would've really benefited from some group assignments after bringing everyone together, just to get the characters interacting with each-other more before THE MISSION.

That would have been cool but also pretty hard to handle pacing-wise for a game that’s as long as ME2 already is. I feel like you’d have to cut loyalty or side missions to make it work. Well I guess the side missions wouldn’t be a huge loss

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

Fallout: New Vegas?

Also Alpha Protocol. Which was also Obsidian, now that I think of it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
As much as I love Witcher 3, every time I try to start another game and think about all the poo poo I have to do before even thinking about doing Novigrad, I wish for developers to make another 40-hour RPG that's as incredibly well-paced as ME2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
guys The Empire Strikes back is actually the WORST star wars film and let me tell you why