Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

At 174 feet with no arching to transfer the load to the end points, I am in no way surprised it collapsed. Even with an arch I would expect a central pylon over that length. A cable-stayed bridge of this size is not "to look pretty". Those cables are an integral part of supporting a span like this. The tower should have been the first element erected, and then cabling attached as the span is moved into place for this type of bridge.

I mean, it's been decades since I've taken Statics, but this much I remember.

I feel like I learned this from Bridge Constructor Portal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Apparently one of the crane operators was overheard saying that they accidentally dropped a "Big Blue Box" on the bridge, causing the collapse.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Also it may be worse than just poor planning.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Zil posted:

Shady dealings with shadier people? In the construction industry??? :aaaaa:

Wobbulated
Apr 24, 2007

by sebmojo

Finalist, 2018 most annoying speech mannerisms

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Construction Firms Behind Collapsed FIU Bridge Faced Accusations of Unsafe Practices

quote:

The FIU project isn't the first major bridge built by Figg to collapse in recent years. A Figg-assembled span in Virginia fell apart in June 2012 while under construction. Workers were installing a 90-ton concrete portion of the South Norfolk Jordan Bridge when it dropped 40 feet onto railroad tracks below, according to the Virginian-Pilot.

Four workers suffered minor injuries, but state regulators later said it was pure luck that no one was killed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I just got sent this at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3gdQm7pAMk

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

He wasn't getting burnt, that's an injection injury

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Wobbulated posted:

???

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Wobbulated posted:

We're casually, just, you know..................living

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Read the comment from his mom. I mean comments. Or comment. Your call really.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

"How many black electricians you know?"

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Cthulu Carl posted:

"How many black electricians you know?"

Have comic books been lying to me all these years..?

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

ExecuDork posted:

Look up the TSR-2 and the XB-70 Valkyrie if you're interested.

My mom worked in the film shack at North American way back in the day, so she has 8mm film of XB-70 Valkyrie test flights at her house. Not a lot, just a few minutes, but still super cool.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Cthulu Carl posted:

I feel like I learned this from Bridge Constructor Portal.

Pontifex was what jumped into my mind

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zil posted:

Okay, but what country did the steel come from? I expect Trump will be telling us soon if it was Chinese steel.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
loving hell how hard would it have been to prop the bridge mid-span? It probably could have been done with minimal traffic disruption.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Robo Captain posted:

loving hell how hard would it have been to prop the bridge mid-span? It probably could have been done with minimal traffic disruption.

Do you know how many tens of dollars that might have cost?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Bacon Taco posted:

My mom worked in the film shack at North American way back in the day, so she has 8mm film of XB-70 Valkyrie test flights at her house. Not a lot, just a few minutes, but still super cool.

That is super cool! Any chance any of that is online somewhere?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Not even kidding when I say that the top 30% of people involved with this FiU bridge poo poo should be out right executed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Johnny Aztec posted:

Not even kidding when I say that the top 30% of people should be out right executed.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Has anyone seen a model of what this finished bridge was supposed to look like? Just seeing the proportions of it across the road, I don’t know how anyone could have felt comfortable on that jobsite putting that up and just letting it be.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Has anyone seen a model of what this finished bridge was supposed to look like? Just seeing the proportions of it across the road, I don’t know how anyone could have felt comfortable on that jobsite putting that up and just letting it be.

shame on an IGA posted:

Looks like just spectacular incompetence at the intersection of design and construction: This was supposed to be a cable stayed bridge.

Usually those are built in short sections starting at the tower and working toward the ends, so each section can be connected up to the cables that support all of its weight.

Here, to minimize the amount of time the road had to be closed, the entire span was built next to the road and then moved into position and supported on the landing structures at the very tips, unsupported at any point in the 200 feet in between.

If it was capable of holding itself up in that configuration, it wouldn't have been designed as a cable bridge in the first place.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

oohhboy posted:

The Concord has to use afterburners too. Super cruise just wasn't possible back then.

The Concord fleet spent more time in supercruise than all other aircraft put together.

It turns out that using afterburner to quickly reach cruising speed actually consumed less total fuel than doing it dry.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Bacon Taco posted:

Oh poo poo, that's awesome! I went to see the surviving XB70 at the USAF National Museum, and it was an amazing aircraft.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Oh poo poo, that's awesome! I went to see the surviving XB70 at the USAF National Museum, and it was an amazing aircraft.

I need to go back someday, my one trip to dayton was when all the secret squirrel stuff was still on base and I didn't have time to phone ahead for bus tickets

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bacon Taco posted:

You need to get that poo poo scanned, stat.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Huh, I guess they don't always land on their feet

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Where the next photo when they've poked it with a stick and it rolled down the hill into a river?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioC61QW7SHQ

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Huh, I guess they don't always land on their feet

:golfclap:

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Apparently one of the crane operators was overheard saying that they accidentally dropped a "Big Blue Box" on the bridge, causing the collapse.

this is definitely what happened

there's a video going around of the immediate aftermath, and you can see the crane at the collapsed end, hook still swinging

they dropped it a good long ways from the looks of it too

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/ShadenFM/status/974608801604292608

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Whelp I'm never going skiing again

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Just when you though it was safe to go back in the snow ...

Killlift, coming to cinemas this summer.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was like "Why are they all falling off right there and not when closer to the ground?"

Then I saw why when someone stayed on.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Skis came off. Ded.

Translation of the tweet:

quote:

In Georgia, at the ski resort of Gudauri, a lift broke down and people flew down at a tremendous speed
17 people were injured

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm actually kind of impressed with how many chairs could pile up without the lift jamming even a little.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Jesus, that one person who stayed on at 47 seconds and just got loving whipped into the mass of broken chairs.

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm actually kind of impressed with how many chairs could pile up without the lift jamming even a little.

It looked like it was running backwards, so that probably had something to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Was about to say the same thing... RIP that person.