Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Are there any Cat6a or Cat7 NAS solutions out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

derk posted:

Just out of curiosity was it a corruption of data error in FreeNAS?

Nah, was setting up Unraid and the drive spouted out a current pending sector count on me and wouldn't reallocate. Zeroed out the drive and reformatted again and it went away. Passes extended S.M.A.R.T. test now as it used to fail within minutes of running it.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 5, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wargames posted:

Are there any Cat6a or Cat7 NAS solutions out there?

I'm curious what storage and network cables have to do with each other. 6a/7 will work with any Ethernet device.

If you mean "do any NAS appliances exist with 10GbaseT", then the answer is certainly yes, but I'd expect them to be aimed solidly at businesses with a price tag to match.

Ezekial
Jan 10, 2014

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you mean "do any NAS appliances exist with 10GbaseT", then the answer is certainly yes, but I'd expect them to be aimed solidly at businesses with a price tag to match.

This. We have a QNAP TS-1685 at work, cost 5-6 grand. Works well.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm curious what storage and network cables have to do with each other. 6a/7 will work with any Ethernet device.

There are 10g nas boxes out there but the only ones I could find use SFP not cat6a or cat7.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

wargames posted:

There are 10g nas boxes out there but the only ones I could find use SFP not cat6a or cat7.

How about this one? 10GBaseT, 2 ports: https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/DS1817 https://www.amazon.com/Synology-bay-DiskStation-DS1817-Diskless/dp/B071K9J4MS/

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

that would do it, thanks.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
A lot of turnkey NASs will have a PCIe slot that you can use for a SSD sled or 10 GbE or whatever. A basic card is like $100-200 iirc, which is probably quite a bit less than you'll pay for it pre-installed from Synology.

The gotcha is that a lot of turnkey NASs are based on Atom/Avoton boards which only have 2.0x4 lanes available for expansion, and most cards have a 2.0x8 interface. That may bottleneck the card a bit.

There are more powerful NASs built on regular desktop processors like i3/i5s or Ryzens that have better expandability, but you'll pay through the nose for them.

Apropos of nothing, but QNAP does have a pretty sweet little card that combines a pair of NVMe mounts and a 10GbE NIC, if you want to white-box and you're short of slots that seems like the way to go.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Mar 8, 2018

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have an IBM M5014 RAID controller that's free to a good home. I'm in the UK so I guess if postage is going to be a lot that would be nice to have covered.

I flashed it to the LSI firmware and all works OK. I have a 4-way SAS-SATA cable which would go with it. If anyone wants it let me know.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
I'm in the process of trying to fill up my new DS1817+ with the 8TB WD Red/White drives from the shucked external enclosures but so far I've only been able to find 5 suitable drives. Three were from my closest best buy and the other two were from the next closest, I'm planning on going back to them periodically to see if I can find the last 3 I need if they stay on sale. If I can't find them, I'm planning on waiting until they go on sale again which they inevitably do every few weeks/every other month it seems. In the mean time, would there be any negative consequences by starting with just the 5 drives so I can get everything set up and start transferring over my data then expanding it later once I get the last three? Would I be better off just waiting until I find the last three drives and doing it all at once? As far as I understand it would work just fine doing it that way according to the reviews/synology information, but this is my first time using a NAS/RAID in general. Also, should I stick with one of the Synology RAID settings, I believe they call it SHR1/SHR-2 vs a standard RAID 5/6? I believe the SHR setup is supposed to be much better/ideal if you have different sized drives but since mine would all be the same, will I see a performance difference with one setting vs the others?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

100% Dundee posted:

Also, should I stick with one of the Synology RAID settings, I believe they call it SHR1/SHR-2 vs a standard RAID 5/6? I believe the SHR setup is supposed to be much better/ideal if you have different sized drives but since mine would all be the same, will I see a performance difference with one setting vs the others?

Performance will likely be similar. One major benefit to SHR over classic RAID is the ease of adding additional disks--if you intent to start with a partial set of drives, and add a few more later, you can do this trivially with SHR (though it'll take some time to rearrange everything). Doing it with RAID-5/6 is not so easy (though it should be possible).

The major downside of SHR is that it locks you to Synology--you can't pull it off and throw it into a different NAS and expect it to work. That may not be an issue to you at all if you never expect to want to do so, though.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

100% Dundee posted:

In the mean time, would there be any negative consequences by starting with just the 5 drives so I can get everything set up and start transferring over my data then expanding it later once I get the last three? Would I be better off just waiting until I find the last three drives and doing it all at once? As far as I understand it would work just fine doing it that way according to the reviews/synology information, but this is my first time using a NAS/RAID in general.

The big downside is that it takes a long time to expand a volume (like, 3-5 days) and I think you have to go one by one after the initial setup.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Is the NAS usable during that time?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I was able to use my Synology nas while I was expanding it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

io_burn posted:

Is the NAS usable during that time?

Performance will be slower, but it's still usable.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I have a 5-drive RAID 5 array that I've been running in an enclosure with a controller card in my desktop (a Sans Digital TR5M + Rocketraid 622). I've had it chugging along for years and years, but while I was out today it apparently went completely dead. I'm pretty sure it's the power supply in the enclosure that's to blame, since it does absolutely nothing at all when I try to power it up.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the drives themselves are OK. So what I'm thinking about doing is getting a different enclosure (most likely from another manufacturer, since I'm overseas and Sans doesn't seem to be sold here) and moving the drives over to the new enclosure.

Since the RAID management was being handled by the controller card and not the enclosure, I feel like this should work. But I obviously don't want to discover too late that, oops, no it doesn't!

Anyone know for sure? Google is remarkably unhelpful about this specific situation.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
If the enclosure was operating in a JBOD mode and simply passing the drives straight on to the controller card (which it should do, especially if it's a cheaper enclosure), you should be just fine so long as the controller card itself is still working.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What’s the cpu of choice for NAS builds these days? Thinking pentium g4560 & c236 chipset (although these are a bit more spendy than b270)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

priznat posted:

What’s the cpu of choice for NAS builds these days? Thinking pentium g4560 & c236 chipset (although these are a bit more spendy than b270)

That's the cheapest choice for a properly-validated ECC platform, yeah (or C232). The G4560 does not have AVX support, however, you'd need to jump to a 7100 for that. Not a big problem if you're doing a pure NAS build, but it's worth considering for Plex transcoding or some other stuff.

Ryzen is faster if you will accept an unvalidated platform, although the selection of motherboards is not that great (particularly in mATX or mITX form factors).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 15, 2018

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's the cheapest choice for a properly-validated ECC platform, yeah (or C232). The G4560 does not have AVX support, however, you'd need to jump to a 7100 for that. Not a big problem if you're doing a pure NAS build, but it's worth considering for Plex transcoding or some other stuff.

Ryzen is faster if you will accept an unvalidated platform, although the selection of motherboards is not that great (particularly in mATX or mITX form factors).

Ah that’s a good point re AVX, I definitely want to run plex on it.

Ryzen would be interesting, I have wanted to do an AMD build since they launched. Something like a 3 1300X? Could even move up to a 5 1400/1500X for some VM serving. I’ll check out the motherboards. I am going to stash it in a closet so smaller is better but a full ATX wouldn’t be horrible.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Don't underestimate old hardware you have laying around unless you're specifically targeting low power. My unraid nas has a haswell i5 which was essentially free due to scavenged parts and runs all my poo poo like a champ.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

Don't underestimate old hardware you have laying around unless you're specifically targeting low power. My unraid nas has a haswell i5 which was essentially free due to scavenged parts and runs all my poo poo like a champ.

This is true, I currently use my i5-2500k system as a sort of nas/plex box (still with win10). Low power would be nice but if it’s not OC’d it’s not a huge deal. I should just try out unraid usb stick on it. Just need to get some drives, possibly a hba card and I’m good to go!

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I recently converted an ancient i5 - 950 into an unraid box as I had all the parts laying around and it had a solid enough motherboard with 8 sata ports. Turned out great and I can easily migrate it to better hardware when I get around to it by just moving the flash drive + storage drives.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Thinking about getting 4 hgst deskstar NAS drives, 6TB. Newegg.ca has a real nice price on them. We never get those shuckable wds for cheap at bestbuys here :(.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cinara posted:

I recently converted an ancient i5 - 950 into an unraid box as I had all the parts laying around and it had a solid enough motherboard with 8 sata ports. Turned out great and I can easily migrate it to better hardware when I get around to it by just moving the flash drive + storage drives.

Yeah, right now I am sorta running two NASs... I have an Athlon 5350 (Kabini) that I leave running all the time for downloading and stuff I'm currently watching, and a HP Z400 with a W3565 running my main array. The W3565 is great apart from power consumption, I've done Emby transcoding on it just fine. It just pulls triple what the 5350 does..

I have all the parts sitting here to build a NAS with a 7100, just haven't had time lately to put it together.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

...Athlon 5350 (Kabini)...

Socket AM1 was a neat platfrom. I would've liked to see AMD continue with it, but a unified AM4 was the right investment for them.

I'm running a Lenovo TS440 with a Haswell E3, and picked up a cheap decommissioned TS430 with a Sandy Bridge E3 for my folks. Having a proper drive backplane integrated into the case is nice, and the quad-core E3s strike a good balance between performance and power consumption.

The TS440 even got a BIOS update for Spectre/Meltdown microcode.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 16, 2018

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’d really like to go xeon D but they are kinda pricey. Maybe if D-1521/1541s start showing up lightly used on ebay..

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

priznat posted:

I’d really like to go xeon D but they are kinda pricey. Maybe if D-1521/1541s start showing up lightly used on ebay..

The Supermicro A2SDi-H-TP4F is also pretty sick for a premium NAS mobo. Basically twice as fast as an i5-7500 in MT, quad 10Gbit NICs, ECC RDIMM support up to 256 GB, <50w full system power at full load.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 16, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Cinara posted:

I can't see needing better hardware than that. I've used an i5-750 as my file server for maybe 5 or 6 years and it's great.

It runs like 60 or 70 TB of ZFS storage that is bottlenecked by gigabit ethernet, bunch of usenet stuff, 2 or more 4k streams, 2 windows VMs. No problems and the load stays low.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Unraid question: my motherboard (p8z68-v pro) has 4 6Gbps sata ports - 2 from chipset and 2 from embedded marvell x1 gen2 pcie (so not really 6Gbps). Also has 4 3Gbps ports.

If I am getting 4 HDDs (6Gbps SATA) and plan on using an SSD as the write cache, is the best solution to just put the HDDs on the 3Gbps ports and the SSDs on the 6Gbps chipset port and ignore the Marvell ports altogether? :haw:

Perhaps down the line I will get an HBA.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

The G4560 does not have AVX support, however, you'd need to jump to a 7100 for that. Not a big problem if you're doing a pure NAS build, but it's worth considering for Plex transcoding or some other stuff.

Are you sure x264 and x265 take advantage of AVX-512? I know x264 in its slow preset can do threading nowadays, but AVX-512 is so new that most software doesn't really take advantage of it yet. There's also the issue of the CPU frequency scaling when doing heavy and/or mixed AVX-512 loads.

priznat posted:

Unraid question: my motherboard (p8z68-v pro) has 4 6Gbps sata ports - 2 from chipset and 2 from embedded marvell x1 gen2 pcie (so not really 6Gbps). Also has 4 3Gbps ports.

If I am getting 4 HDDs (6Gbps SATA) and plan on using an SSD as the write cache, is the best solution to just put the HDDs on the 3Gbps ports and the SSDs on the 6Gbps chipset port and ignore the Marvell ports altogether? :haw:

Perhaps down the line I will get an HBA.
Your spinning rust has a maximum bandwidth of something under 200MBps whereas the max bandwidth of 6Gbps is more than double that - so as you say, you'll definitely want to put the HDDs on the 3Gbps ports and put the SSDs on the 6Gbps ports.
Also, Marvell controllers are a bit of a hodge-podge. At least one full line had a problem where putting the controller under full load would cause the controller to drop disks.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

The Supermicro A2SDi-H-TP4F is also pretty sick for a premium NAS mobo. Basically twice as fast as an i5-7500 in MT, quad 10Gbit NICs, ECC RDIMM support up to 256 GB, <50w full system power at full load.

They are, indeed, though at $900 their price puts them solidly out of range for most, especially as you can get better performance for much less unless you really need 4x10Gig NICs.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

DrDork posted:

They are, indeed, though at $900 their price puts them solidly out of range for most, especially as you can get better performance for much less unless you really need 4x10Gig NICs.

What's the "better for less" if you need >64GB of RAM and at least 1 10Gig NIC? Just spitballing here because Intel's product stack has gotten too complex for me to follow.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

D. Ebdrup posted:

Are you sure x264 and x265 take advantage of AVX-512? I know x264 in its slow preset can do threading nowadays, but AVX-512 is so new that most software doesn't really take advantage of it yet. There's also the issue of the CPU frequency scaling when doing heavy and/or mixed AVX-512 loads.

x264 was patched for AVX-512 about a year ago, and x265 can make very good use of it as well. But I was talking about lower AVX levels - the 7100 only supports up to AVX2 but the G4560 does not support AVX at all.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

x264 was patched for AVX-512 about a year ago, and x265 can make very good use of it as well. But I was talking about lower AVX levels - the 7100 only supports up to AVX2 but the G4560 does not support AVX at all.

You made me do a search about this, and it looks like Skylake Xeons are fifty percent faster per core than E5-v4 Broadwell xeons at x265: http://x265.org/x265-receives-significant-boost-intel-xeon-scalable-processor-family/

That's unbelievable. That's a bigger single-generation CPU than we've seen since the Pentium 2 days.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Twerk from Home posted:

You made me do a search about this, and it looks like Skylake Xeons are fifty percent faster per core than E5-v4 Broadwell xeons at x265: http://x265.org/x265-receives-significant-boost-intel-xeon-scalable-processor-family/

That's unbelievable. That's a bigger single-generation CPU than we've seen since the Pentium 2 days.

Yeah, I should have said, x265 is incredibly amenable to AVX acceleration and Skylake-X is the obvious choice for AVX-friendly tasks. You're pushing up to twice the real-world throughput of Ryzen per core - the 8-core i7 7820X and the 16-core Threadripper 1950X perform very similarly, and the i9s pull away from everything else currently available.

This is why you shouldn't take Skylake-X power numbers at face value, power consumption is undeniably high in AVX tasks but it is putting out crazy amounts of throughput and efficiency is actually very good, up to 20% better than Threadripper in some cases. Reviewers have a habit of benching power consumption in Prime95, which is an absolute nightmare for them, because on paper they can push up to 8x the AVX-only throughput of Ryzen cores and Prime95 is as close as possible to an AVX-only workload.

x264 is generally less intensive but if you are using the higher quality presets and working on higher-quality sources you will still probably get a decent speedup from AVX-512.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 16, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Also, oddly, the Xeon-W and Skylake-X chips clock down under AVX loads much less than the Skylake-SP. It's >50% on SKL-SP but 10-20% on SKL-X silicon.

I am aware of that one guy who had problems with mixed-AVX-512 workloads, but he could probably mitigate the impact by pinning the reverse proxy to one set of cores and having the web server be on another set of cores anyway, but the impact is significantly less on SKL-X silicon, and you will definitely still get a speedup even if you are running Plex and a file transfer at the same time, or whatever.

And, not really an issue at all with AVX or AVX2, just AVX-512, so it's not an issue with the 7100 at all.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 16, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Decided to order four of the GoHardDrive refurbished HGST HE8s from Newegg. No sales tax means they work out to about the same price as the Easystores, I don't have to shuck anything, and I have a three year warranty with GHD instead of a "is it void / is it not" 2-year warranty with WD. Going to burn them in on my server at home and then start swapping out the 3TB drives in my media server.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Welp, I was super wrong about AVX for x26(4|5). Those are some drat-impressive numbers, alright.

Can I take a small amount of time to rant a bit about FreeNAS? I've been helping a friend set it up as he needs something a simple NAS solution which can host his data and a unifi controller. Needless to say, that's basically exactly what I think FreeNAS should be used for because it doesn't involve a whole lot of customization and can be done with the built-in tools from the command-line if the new UI proves obstinant.
So naturally, when there's a problem, I tend to think that "It should drat well work, it's just FreeBSD with some bits and pieces on top", but one of the bits and pieces is that as of todays supposedly newest -STABLE version, loopback interfaces are not configured with an ipv4 address, which means that the httpd that the unifi controller ships with can't test that it has a network connection and so naturally fails.
As an aside, that httpd doesn't tell what IP it's trying to bind on, only the port - if it had, I wouldn't have spent a whole friday evening trying to debug this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
That bug bit me in the rear end a few weeks ago. Rebooted my NAS for the first time since setting up my jails, and EVERY jail failed to work. Was frustrating as hell. You'd think something that big would merit releasing a patch version ASAP, instead it's slated for the next point release.

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 16, 2018