Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I think the primary problem with the carbon tax in MB is that it is not a carbon tax in any sense except the one where the government of MB has named it that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Holy gently caress shut the gently caress up PT6A you gilded progressive.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
More like gelded

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

vyelkin posted:

I mean hell, by this guilt-by-association standard everyone who attended the 2017 (I think it was 2017) Ontario Progressive Conservative convention should now be having to explain why they attended an event where Jordan B Peterson spoke, considering he has now expressed his support for someone accused of hate speech and attempted murder of migrants in the Mediterranean.

Holy gently caress, what happened there?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
she used her patron money to help fund a ship that blocked the rescue of migrants on the Mediterranean and allegedly was arrested in Italy for firing flares near Italian rescue ships in order to confuse them I guess?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

zapplez posted:

Holy gently caress, what happened there?

It's part of why she was banned from Patreon, and an amazing clusterfuck in and of itself.

She joined a group that tried to prevent maritime aid workers from reaching refugee boats in distress in the Mediterranean, and apparently fired flares at aid workers.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

infernal machines posted:

It's part of why she was banned from Patreon, and an amazing clusterfuck in and of itself.

She joined a group that tried to prevent maritime aid workers from reaching refugee boats in distress in the Mediterranean, and apparently fired flares at aid workers.

So she was on one of those "Save the whales" greenpeace ships that block hunting. But instead it was a boat full of refuges? Any news coverage on this its pretty wild

Also : The libs could easily win this provincial election if they made Wynne step down and just got a regular white old guy as the new leader.

Instead we are going to get doug loving ford.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
stop talking to this moron about the wealth transfer in Manitoba. he refuses to even acknowledge that it's not a "carbon tax" or that it's only designed to give more money to the richest corporations in the country. it's pointless, his brain is smoother than a bowling ball.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Martian Manfucker posted:

stop talking to this moron about the wealth transfer in Manitoba. he refuses to even acknowledge that it's not a "carbon tax" or that it's only designed to give more money to the richest corporations in the country. it's pointless, his brain is smoother than a bowling ball.

It is a carbon tax -- albeit a bad and incomplete one -- and I'm not saying it doesn't give more money to the rich.

If you kept your attacks to "it's a bad implementation of a carbon tax, and the rest of the budget is full of awful austerity garbage that hurts the poor" I'd agree with you completely. But making driving more expensive is not a problem, because driving is a behaviour that needs to be discouraged. It's the one part of this policy that isn't awful.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

zapplez posted:

So she was on one of those "Save the whales" greenpeace ships that block hunting. But instead it was a boat full of refuges? Any news coverage on this its pretty wild

Also : The libs could easily win this provincial election if they made Wynne step down and just got a regular white old guy as the new leader.

Instead we are going to get doug loving ford.

How 'bout the Washington Post or Canadaland, and some tasty irony, as covered by Ars Technica

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I really like how Peterson's flimsy cover of plausible deniability has evaporated like mist in the morning sun in the span of a few short weeks.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The great thing is, his tweet referencing Southern makes no loving sense.

He appears to be calling out the Prime Minister for allowing people suspected of aiding ISIS to return to Canada, but what this has to do with Southern being barred from the UK, I can't imagine.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

He appears to be calling out the Prime Minister for allowing people suspected of aiding ISIS to return to Canada

Is this even actually A Thing? It feels an awful lot like "people who watch Fox News know less than people who don't watch news at all about current events".

e. Global News is saying it is mostly full of poo poo.

quote:

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said Wednesday that the government has identified about 250 people with links to Canada who are suspected of travelling overseas to engage in terrorist activity .

This could involve front-line fighting, training, logistical support, fundraising or studying at extremist-influenced schools. Yet the number who have returned to Canada has remained largely unchanged at around 60 over the past two years, suggesting there has not been a sudden influx of terrorists into the country.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3889240/liberals-isis-fighters-canada-open-arms/

It is nigh impossible to prove crimes committed overseas in this sort of scenario. It also goes on to say that these individuals also have restrictions on their movement such as no-fly lists.

It seems that you're kind of in an ethical quagmire, no? It seems distasteful, but if they are Canadian citizens, don't you kind of, you know, have to take them back? Wouldn't just shipping them back get slapped down by a court toot sweet? And rule of law remains, I dunno, kind of, maybe-sorta, important?

Short of magically reversing generations worth of Western intervention and destabilisation in the region, it seems the best thing the government of Canada could do would be to properly fund de-radicalization programs while simultaneously monitoring these peeps.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 16, 2018

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

EvilJoven posted:

But let's be honest, mostly Ford is going to win because the 905 is full of terrible loving people who'd run over a puppy if they thought that'd shorten their commute by 15 minutes on those god awful freeways.

my hot take is that 905 stays liberal cuz it was really liberal on the federal level in 2015, but if Ford takes the 416/613 areas he wins

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Stickarts posted:

Is this even actually A Thing? It feels an awful lot like "people who watch Fox News know less than people who don't watch news at all about current events".

He's referring to the reintegration support policy, which is indeed a thing. But sort of conveniently ignores that as often as not they're as Canadian as Skidoos* and we have a legal obligation to them.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 16, 2018

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

The great thing is, his tweet referencing Southern makes no loving sense.

He appears to be calling out the Prime Minister for allowing people suspected of aiding ISIS to return to Canada, but what this has to do with Southern being barred from the UK, I can't imagine.

white male identity politics, fighting "pc culture", and muslims are part of the same conservative cultural wars package which is the basis of J.Peterson's appeal

if you want to summarize the 2018 right in one sentence it's politically correct regressive transgender feminists letting in muslims to rape white women and ban white males from using free speech to say muslims are bad

it was always inevitable that he headed down that road because that's what his audience wants, it makes a lot of sense once you realize all those things are part of the same narrative

Typo fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 16, 2018

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

He's referring to the reintegration support policy, which is indeed a thing. But sort of conveniently ignores that as often as not they're as Canadian as Skidoos* and we have a legal obligation to them.

Thanks. I in the end lifted a finger, but just barely, to do my own reading and reached a similar conclusion.

Typo posted:

white male identity politics, fighting "pc culture", and muslims are part of the same conservative cultural wars package which is the basis of J.Peterson's appeal

if you want to summarize the 2018 right in one sentence it's politically correct regressive transgender feminists letting in muslims to rape white women and ban white males from using free speech to say muslims are bad

it was always inevitable that he headed down that road because that's what his audience wants, it makes a lot of sense once you realize all those things are part of the same narrative

So where do you begin with this guy's acolytes? They seem more reachable than full-on MAGA chuds, but where do you starting poking holes? Asking because my social media has a festering JPB presence.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 16, 2018

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Typo posted:

And giving them tens of millions of dollars instead of giving them to ARE TROOPS, let's not forget that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Typo posted:

my hot take is that 905 stays liberal cuz it was really liberal on the federal level in 2015, but if Ford takes the 416/613 areas he wins

How wrong do you feel like being re: 905?

Stickarts posted:

So where do you begin with this guys' acolytes? They seem more reachable than full-on MAGA chuds, but where do you starting poking holes? Asking because my social media has a festering JPB presence.

Assuming they care about the content of his message and the value of his philosophy, take your pick from 70 pages of takedowns. If it's an identity thing then just give up now, because it doesn't matter.

Good reading

https://medium.com/@Corax/peterson-historian-aide-m%C3%A9moire-9aa3b6b3de04

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/03/the-intellectual-we-deserve

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 16, 2018

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Suburbs are cancer.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
ok, I did not know the 905 region was that big I thought it was mostly mississauga/bramptonish and doesn't go that far east

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Stickarts posted:

So where do you begin with this guy's acolytes? They seem more reachable than full-on MAGA chuds, but where do you starting poking holes? Asking because my social media has a festering JPB presence.

honestly, the unpopular hot take is that the left is largely responsible for PETERSON

if nobody shouted at him I don't think he would be anywhere near as prominent, the guy basically ascended on the basis of the traditional archetype (heh) of martyrdom

one of the biggest advantages that peterson and the kind of centerish-right cultural warriors have is their ability to frame the debate in terms of free speech: which really, really works well with the kind of college educated men which conservatives in America are losing. You are a lot more popular when you are a matyr for free speech than if you are just outright against transgendered people or muslims or w/e.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

flakeloaf posted:

And giving them tens of millions of dollars instead of giving them to ARE TROOPS, let's not forget that.

they don't actually gives a poo poo about the troops

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

flakeloaf posted:

I love this argument because it gives me an opening to start talking about Pericles and the Peloponnesian war.

The point being that no government in recorded history has ever cared about the TROOPS.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Person: *devotes life to being played like a pawn by the ruling class*
Public: Thank u for ur service

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

xtal posted:

Person: *devotes life to being played like a pawn by the ruling class*
Public: Thank u for ur service

That's why they talk up honor and flags and duty and all that poo poo, because they certainly ain't getting paid what the job is worth

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
a lot of Peterson's (and the alt-light and alt-right and whatever the gently caress) arguments are reactions to liberal capitalist understandings and expressions of race, gender, politics etc, which have some huge loving problems and contradictions that they prey upon and that liberals aren't capable of actually addressing.

The solution is to present a coherent counter argument and political vision that's actually leftist and based in a solid material understanding of the world and actually addresses the contradictions in liberal capitalism.

folks, i'm talking about communism :getin:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I think you'd have a pretty hard time nailing down any of Peterson's actual positions, on anything.

e: OnPol

https://twitter.com/fordnation/status/974702173568323584

Choice quote:

quote:

So when we get in there, we're going to start doing and stop talking and start creating economic prosperity up in the north. This is comparable to oil sands in Alberta.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 16, 2018

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/zei_nabq/status/974395307143385089

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Public transit exists? Oh my stars, inform the thread immediately, they seem to have the idea there is no alternative to driving!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Stickarts posted:

shut the gently caress up PT6A

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hahahaha

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

no, u

That's the level of discourse this thread has reached, apparently, because no one is willing to admit their inconsistent beliefs about rich people driving (evil) versus poor people driving (good).

Just admit it: you feel sorry for the lot of the poor, and as a result are arguing that they should be able to engage in an environmentally destructive activity which is already basically subsidized by the government in the force of the massive provision of driving infrastructure with minimal or no user cost, without being discouraged. That's okay! I'd just like to see someone state it outright.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

PT6A posted:

Public transit exists? Oh my stars, inform the thread immediately, they seem to have the idea there is no alternative to driving!

:fuckoff: already.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Holy gently caress can you just for once admit you're wrong or arguing against a strawman, stop moving the goalposts, or shut the gently caress up? You were wrong about a tax that you didn't understand, it was explained to you, and now you're inventing a whole imaginary argument you can still "win" to save your pride but it's deeply embarrassing and annoying for everyone else reading your posts. You got the wrong end of the stick, happens to the best of us, move on.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Buddy, I half-way agree with you and even I want you to shut the gently caress up, because this is tedious as hell and you're not even doing an entertaining job of misrepresenting other people's arguments to make your point.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Holy gently caress can you just for once admit you're wrong or arguing against a strawman, stop moving the goalposts, or shut the gently caress up? You were wrong about a tax that you didn't understand, it was explained to you, and now you're inventing a whole imaginary argument you can still "win" to save your pride but it's deeply embarrassing and annoying for everyone else reading your posts. You got the wrong end of the stick, happens to the best of us, move on.

I admitted I was wrong about the thing I was wrong about (the increase to the basic personal exemption). And also about the Ukrainian neo-Nazi thing. I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong, provided I'm actually wrong, but this is not one of those times.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Buddy, I half-way agree with you and even I want you to shut the gently caress up, because this is tedious as hell and you're not even doing an entertaining job of misrepresenting other people's arguments to make your point.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Sexy Randal posted:

a lot of Peterson's (and the alt-light and alt-right and whatever the gently caress) arguments are reactions to liberal capitalist understandings and expressions of race, gender, politics etc, which have some huge loving problems and contradictions that they prey upon and that liberals aren't capable of actually addressing.

The solution is to present a coherent counter argument and political vision that's actually leftist and based in a solid material understanding of the world and actually addresses the contradictions in liberal capitalism.

folks, i'm talking about communism :getin:

If you want to argue with Peterson people, don't get trapped trying to prove that there's infinite genders (there's not), the irreconcilable argument is almost always whether equality of outcome is better or worse than equality of opportunity. One of Peterson's actual positions is that equity is bad for society, that comes up all the time. As defined in the ETFO teacher social justice handbook

quote:

Equity means equality of access and outcome. An equity program is one that is designed to remove barriers to equality by identifying and eliminating discriminatory policies and practices. Such a program is intended both to remedy the effects of past discrimination and to prevent inequities. Equality means the state or quality of being equal; correspondence in quantity, degree, value, rank, or ability.

An example of equality would be giving everyone the same-sized piece of a pie. But if we are talking about equity, we would actually give different sizes and amounts of the pie to different people. Our actions would be different considering who are the individuals we are working with.

Some people think it's fair to just give everybody the same slice of pie, some people think that some other people in charge should be deciding who gets bigger and smaller pie based on intersection of skin color, lgbtqness, religion and/or political leanings. Get all these people on the same page and jordan peterson goes away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

That made my day. Thank you!

Edit: PT6A, it's not a carbon tax because most of the carbon emissions are exempted. Corporations use much more carbon than individuals. Language and definitions matter.

Poor people driving less would help, yes, but what are they gonna do? Stay at home? We have to tackle climate change in a way that's both effective and feasible.

EvidenceBasedQuack fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 16, 2018