Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah uh, FF14 is anime as gently caress. I can't believe I've been convinced to play a dang anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

haveblue posted:

What color belt do you get for that?

It’s patterned with red, green and blue lines.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kit Walker posted:

Alright I finished Hellblade and god drat was that an experience. It really is true that just about every aspect of the game is designed to express the themes it's going for. And there really are so many little things that are great about the game. Senua's appearance changes in minor ways throughout the whole game, like how her war paint gets smudged and is almost totally gone by the end. The game also implies that if you die too many times you'll eventually be permakilled (as the corruption spreads further with each death) and lose your save file completely, but this is a lie. The corruption does actually spread a little further each time (up until a certain point) but the idea that permadeath is a possible consequence is just there to gently caress with you. Heck, it's even thematicaly appropriate what with Senua herself being misled so many times in her life by the people around her. Also, the default combat difficulty is "auto," which I'm guessing is a dynamic setting and seems to be tuned well enough that you always feel like you're just barely managing to win.

I also liked that in the end Dillion was straight up just a really supportive partner. Other games might've gone with some twist where he was actually really awful and manipulating the protagonist for his own ends or something but Hellblade just plays it straight. Senua suffers from psychosis, Dillion was a genuinely good and caring person who loved and supported her, and the only tragedies here are that he's dead and you're alone. I appreciated his character because he's basically there as like, a guide on how to be a good partner for someone dealing with mental illness. For a fantasy game, I think they handled the whole subject matter with a good deal of tact. Even after the end, Senua isn't magically cured. It's an illness and it's not supernatural. There's no way to overcome it or run away from it. But it's also not necessarily a terrible thing to shun and be afraid of.

What I like about the so-called permadeath message is that nothing about it is technically untrue, as in everything that it says will happen does happen. It's just that by the end of the story your perspective has changed along with Senua, and a warning that once appeared to be so oppressive and unfair transforms into accepting loss and letting go. I also appreciate that Hellblade doesn't resort to some dumb "it was all in her head!" twist or any dumb gimmicks like sanity meters that you're used to seeing in games that portray mental illness. There's no slow panning the camera around once the story is over and going "okay, here's what actually happened." From Senua's point of view, everything that she experiences is real.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Kanfy posted:

Final Fantasy 14, a "very serious, grim fantasy MMO"? In what universe? :psyduck:

Final Fantasy I'm 14

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kit Walker posted:

Alright I finished Hellblade and god drat was that an experience. It really is true that just about every aspect of the game is designed to express the themes it's going for. And there really are so many little things that are great about the game. Senua's appearance changes in minor ways throughout the whole game, like how her war paint gets smudged and is almost totally gone by the end. The game also implies that if you die too many times you'll eventually be permakilled (as the corruption spreads further with each death) and lose your save file completely, but this is a lie. The corruption does actually spread a little further each time (up until a certain point) but the idea that permadeath is a possible consequence is just there to gently caress with you. Heck, it's even thematicaly appropriate what with Senua herself being misled so many times in her life by the people around her. Also, the default combat difficulty is "auto," which I'm guessing is a dynamic setting and seems to be tuned well enough that you always feel like you're just barely managing to win.

I also liked that in the end Dillion was straight up just a really supportive partner. Other games might've gone with some twist where he was actually really awful and manipulating the protagonist for his own ends or something but Hellblade just plays it straight. Senua suffers from psychosis, Dillion was a genuinely good and caring person who loved and supported her, and the only tragedies here are that he's dead and you're alone. I appreciated his character because he's basically there as like, a guide on how to be a good partner for someone dealing with mental illness. For a fantasy game, I think they handled the whole subject matter with a good deal of tact. Even after the end, Senua isn't magically cured. It's an illness and it's not supernatural. There's no way to overcome it or run away from it. But it's also not necessarily a terrible thing to shun and be afraid of.

Another really cool part in relation to her illness was how the voices changed in the very final stretch. Up until then, the voices had always been a discordant cacophony. Even when they were technically helpful, such as pointing out an enemy behind you, it was still a chaotic and panicky mess of sounds. But then, during the very final sequence, that changed. The voices didn't go away entirely, but now there was only one single voice, calm and supportive. It's such a simple thing, but extremely effective at conveying the sense of purpose and focus that Senua had found at that point.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Final Fantasy 14, a "very serious, grim fantasy MMO"? In what universe? :psyduck:

Do you dare disparage the grim grandness of Good King Moggle, kupo?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kit Walker posted:

Alright I finished Hellblade and god drat was that an experience. It really is true that just about every aspect of the game is designed to express the themes it's going for. And there really are so many little things that are great about the game. Senua's appearance changes in minor ways throughout the whole game, like how her war paint gets smudged and is almost totally gone by the end. The game also implies that if you die too many times you'll eventually be permakilled (as the corruption spreads further with each death) and lose your save file completely, but this is a lie. The corruption does actually spread a little further each time (up until a certain point) but the idea that permadeath is a possible consequence is just there to gently caress with you. Heck, it's even thematicaly appropriate what with Senua herself being misled so many times in her life by the people around her.

Maybe don't spoil that fact for those of us currently playing through the game then :rolleyes:.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's maybe a minor spoiler but not really that important in the greater scheme of things.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I don’t know if that should count as a spoiler since the game never tells you, and you’ll never get even close to that point unless you deliberately die dozens of times. I found out about it from reading an article online midway through my first run and I don’t really know if that knowledge changed anything in my perception of the experience. The game is terrifyingly oppressive regardless. In any case, I edited the post to add some spoiler tags to that part

Perestroika posted:

Another really cool part in relation to her illness was how the voices changed in the very final stretch. Up until then, the voices had always been a discordant cacophony. Even when they were technically helpful, such as pointing out an enemy behind you, it was still a chaotic and panicky mess of sounds. But then, during the very final sequence, that changed. The voices didn't go away entirely, but now there was only one single voice, calm and supportive. It's such a simple thing, but extremely effective at conveying the sense of purpose and focus that Senua had found at that point.

You know, I hadn’t even totally caught that bit. Before the final battle there’s that scene where you block out the voices, but I only just now realized that it’s weird that there was still one voice talking to you in the final fight. In light of what it says (“Just give up. You’re killing yourself.”), I think that’s actually Senua’s own internal dialogue. She’s realizing the futility of what she’s doing even as she’s completely committing herself to this final charge. Like, not just in the physical sense, but as a metaphor for the whole journey.

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 13:55 on Mar 15, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kanfy posted:

I'm comparing it to WoW, to be fair.

It's such a joyless anime universe, it's dumb as hell. No one seems to be having any fun in the story except for those particular questlines.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cythereal posted:

It's such a joyless anime universe, it's dumb as hell. No one seems to be having any fun in the story except for those particular questlines.
There's goofy poo poo all over the game constantly, and a lot of characters have plenty of fun in the dialogue.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Cythereal posted:

Ah, so the bizarro universe then.

I mean I guess if you strictly talk about the main quest I can kind of see where you're coming from but man, that's probably the first time I've ever heard anyone call FFXIV of all games "joyless and grim". That game's lighthearted stuff outnumbers the serious by a pretty sizeable amount, especially in the English translation which they've always had a lot of fun with.

Kanfy has a new favorite as of 13:58 on Mar 15, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

I also appreciate that Hellblade doesn't resort to some dumb "it was all in her head!" twist or any dumb gimmicks like sanity meters that you're used to seeing in games that portray mental illness.

It does do it once, but just to take advantage of your assumptions, and it's great. One of my favorite moments in the whole thing is the introduction of Fenrir. You're warned that there's a monster in the shadows, but entering those shadows just gets you a spooky light show until Senua collapses and you revert to checkpoint. This goes on for a good long while, with no monster in sight, long enough for me to start believing that there was never going to be a monster and the "deaths" were just times that her will faltered in an oppressive, stressful environment. Then you reach the end, start another one of the usual shadow lightshow cutscenes, and suddenly the camera swings around and yes it is very real and it's coming right for you.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The game series "Don't Escape" is really interesting and does a great inversion of an escape-the-room game. The first for instance has a man who knows he only has a few hours before he turns into a werewolf try to ensure that once he turns, he hampers his own escape to prevent himself from harming anyone. Depending on how well you do, you can successfully stop yourself from escaping until sunrise, or if you gently caress up, you escape and slaughter a village before being overpowered and killed by hunters.

The third in the series starts off as a semi-normal escape game where an assailant in a space suit killed the crew, but you learn after an obvious "YOU'RE THE REAL KILLER!" twist that would normally be lame, that the reason you killed everyone is because you were infected with a Tiberium-like crystal that is slowly converting your body to more of the same crystal. Now rather than trying to escape, you need to find a way to destroy the crystal both in the ship and inside of you before a rescue ship arrives, and their crew is doomed just like yours was. The best ending has you collecting all the crystals around you, then blowing up a bomb by the ship's core and vapourising the ship and yourself. Before you find out you're infected you can use an escape pod to jettison yourself, meaning the rescue crew stumbles upon an unimpeded crystal infestation, and also whoever picks you up is in for a treat too. :whitewater:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Cythereal posted:

Tataru? Yda and Papalymo? HAMON HOLYFIST?!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Tataru? Yda and Papalymo? HAMON HOLYFIST?!

You've named exactly one character with a personality.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree that the story cutscenes are played pretty straight, but outside of that there is a whole world of goofy-rear end side characters doing silly things

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
The only grim or dark thing about Final Fantasy 14 is anyone playing it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Cythereal posted:

You've named exactly one character with a personality.

Tataru has tons of personality. She sews up some amazing outfits, goes out mining to help fund the Scions because she's worried about money!

Yda and Papalymo have great interplay off each other. P is serious seeming and scholarly, but breaks that to lay some sick burns on Yda!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I guess autism makes it hard to recognize and parse the emotional content even of anime games.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Biplane posted:

I guess autism makes it hard to recognize and parse the emotional content even of anime games.

Or does autism let you overanalyze an anime game and see emotion where there are actually only tiddies?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
My favorite light-hearted thing about FFXIV is one of the classes you can play as is Pedo Murder who runs around killing priests who were abusing children. What a laugh riot.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

i like to hit big monsters with an axe

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Have you tried Monster Hunter? It's pretty anime, but there's big monsters, and you can use axes.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I dunno how you can call FF14 a serious, grim thing when doom train is the first boss of the new raid tier.

Also I love how more recently your character can react to having to fight stuff with mildly worrying eagerness.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Zoig posted:

I dunno how you can call FF14 a serious, grim thing when doom train is the first boss of the new raid tier.

Also I love how more recently your character can react to having to fight stuff with mildly worrying eagerness.

Not doomtrain.
The ghost train.
Of ff6 fame.

Of being able to be suplexed fame.
Which you cant do in ff14 sadly.

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 18:14 on Mar 15, 2018

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Rigged Death Trap posted:

THEN WHAT'S THE POINT :argh:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Of ff6 fame.

Never played FF14 and you can tally up another reason for me not to bother.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CJacobs posted:

I agree that the story cutscenes are played pretty straight, but outside of that there is a whole world of goofy-rear end side characters doing silly things

I don't really like the Hildibrand sidequests (I can appreciate a gag sideplot, but it's just too clownish, and also the quests don't have rewards so I backburnered them), but I did like the part of the generally-serious main story that crosses over with them.

The Garlond Ironworks are generally the bringers of better light-hearted side-content. It fits the game universe a little better, and has actual gameplay and rewards.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Cleretic posted:

I don't really like the Hildibrand sidequests (I can appreciate a gag sideplot, but it's just too clownish, and also the quests don't have rewards so I backburnered them),

The reward is that you get the dance!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cleretic posted:

The Garlond Ironworks are generally the bringers of better light-hearted side-content. It fits the game universe a little better, and has actual gameplay and rewards.

The Hildibrand quests lead to three new trials, two new emotes, a tuxedo for transmog, and an assortment of new pets.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cythereal posted:

The Hildibrand quests lead to three new trials, two new emotes, a tuxedo for transmog, and an assortment of new pets.
And the new trials are super fun.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

THEN WHAT'S THE POINT :argh:

north american players asked essentially this question to the devs and were met with confusion. apparently japan does not appreciate the ability to suplex a train. what a strange country

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Biplane posted:

Hi don't use autism as an insult, please, thanks.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
As usual I've been pleasantly surprised by a super-cheap licensed game. Started playing the Spiderwick Chronicles and there is a lot of charm in the game, largely through the sidequests. The story quests unlock new characters (currently played as Simon and Jared, haven't unlocked the girl yet) and things like that, but the sidequests make them stronger or feel like they are exploring the world of their new home. Some characters have their own unique quests that only they can do as well, like after finding a particular stone I unlocked a quest to use it with Simon to find some kind of magical creature and talk to it. Don't know where it is yet, still confined to the house and garden for now.

One of the sidequests involves the sidekick magical creature, the Boggart Thistlewick, as by breaking into the Dumb Waiter to get to the attic Jared destroyed his home and had to make him a new one out of a birdhouse. The sidequest involves finding 13 items to decorate Thistlewick's home, and you get to see them building up in the Birdhouse as you collect them if you return to the attic to see it - he gets christmas lights strung up along the ceiling and a little rug made out of a repurposed doily, among other cute toys like a Toy Soldier in the corner standing vigil. It's really cute seeing it build up. :3:

Of course there are also sidequests for upgrading to better weapons, although so far only Jared is actually armed.

Also the house hasn't been made ludicrous for ~gameplay~, it's movie accurate, which means I've explored the whole thing now but there are still items I haven't figured out the purpose of yet that will obviously come into play later, and some, like ingredients for a Troll Poison, that I have the recipe for but cannot take the items for yet because the characters have no need for it yet. There is also a whole forest that's still gated off which will probably have most of the game world.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Playing through Tyranny and I really like that it’s a game where you are really made to feel strong. Even from the beginning you already have accomplishments and a reputation under your belt, and the way the plot goes really helps that advance. It’s a nice distinct flavor since most RPGs make you start as a mewling nobody who struggles to kill rats.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Prototype 2 keeps making me smile. Through the whole game I couldn’t help thinking “man, this map is a lot shorter than the one from the first game, I’d love some real tall buildings to hop around” and “hey what ever actually did happen to that guy’s sister from the first game?”

And then I got to Act 3. It’s like they knew I felt that way. :allears:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dewgy posted:

Prototype 2 keeps making me smile. Through the whole game I couldn’t help thinking “man, this map is a lot shorter than the one from the first game, I’d love some real tall buildings to hop around” and “hey what ever actually did happen to that guy’s sister from the first game?”

And then I got to Act 3. It’s like they knew I felt that way. :allears:

I’ve been playing it again as well. God that game is fun. I like how you have to basically confirm eating a dude that will get you spotted, so you won’t accidentally break stealth.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I've been replaying Max Payne 3 and man I love that you keep your pistols in cutscenes. It's a minor thing but I always hate when I have this rad .45 and a cutscene loads and the character magics up some piece of poo poo 9mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've been playing playing Pathologic Classic on Steam and the new translation's pretty nice. It sets the themes up a lot more obviously early, which is an interesting change. I think my favorite thing about it though is that within one day of being in this random town the smart, reasonable, scientist man has taken it on himself to rummage through trash to give rusty needles to little girls for bullets. It feels very Russian, as does the thought in the back of my mind playing it that every single thing I do is about to gently caress the whole game up for me. Should I have gone to bed early to heal and rest up even though I only have three steaks and a lemon for tomorrow (this somehow isn't a lot)? Who knows! v:v:v