Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Its loving dope as gently caress. All over metro detroit there are great spots for middle eastern food ranging from downtown to the whitest of suburbs.

Tell me you've been to Ali Baba and Yemen Cafe in Hamtramck. If not, go there right now. Also, Motor City Sportsbar which has amazing Bosnian/Serbian food.

EDIT: Oh poo poo, my first dog tax!

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

GreyjoyBastard posted:

you know, I never really thought about this before, but I bet the food in the Muslim Invasion Center of America is phenomenal

You have no idea. You can walk into any lovely strip mall restaurant and have the cheapest trip to heaven you can find on earth. It's beautiful

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Halal grocery stores have next-level snacks. I'm currently considering marrying the bag of coconut meringue cookies I bought last time I went.

Also good for healthy things, I suppose, but all the junk food I've bought from there has been amazing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Tell me you've been to Ali Baba and Yemen Cafe in Hamtramck. If not, go there right now. Also, Motor City Sportsbar which has amazing Bosnian/Serbian food.

what is it with Serbs and sports bars

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

what is it with Serbs and sports bars

I don't know man, but MCSB's cevapi are off the chain.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'd rather see Kelly booted and McMaster in.

Me too but that’s probably impossible.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Crow Jane posted:

Halal grocery stores have next-level snacks. I'm currently considering marrying the bag of coconut meringue cookies I bought last time I went.

Also good for healthy things, I suppose, but all the junk food I've bought from there has been amazing.

On the other side of healthy things... Halal beef bacon is off the charts!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Halal food is win as hell

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

love how anything remotely good and/or productive in this country is being engulfed and destroyed by a horde of idiot billionaires

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Not yet, I go to places in dearborn at lunch during work or beiruit bakery on the way home so if I'm in Hamtramck I'm normally getting polish food.

I'll be sure to deviate from my habits soon though haha.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I meant Halal, which is inexcusable as I am in Dearborn Mi surrounded by stores that advertise Halal food and such. Haram is more complicated and involves forbidden things but as I was never Muslim I do not know its intricacy.

I'm sure he meant halal. As far as I know, haram means something forbidden or bad. I've heard it used colloquially the way some "suck" or "trash" is used in English to describe something stupid, nasty, gross, ridiculous, etc. Like, you see something stupid you point at it and just say, "Haram".

Thanks, I thought halal and haram were like saying kosher and non-kosher, was wondering if there was something more to it I was missing (besides the actual details of what is halal/haram)

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Not yet, I go to places in dearborn at lunch during work or beiruit bakery on the way home so if I'm in Hamtramck I'm normally getting polish food.

I'll be sure to deviate from my habits soon though haha.

Beirut is loving legit!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thinking about Halal chicken and rice and getting hungry as hell

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

KillHour posted:

Also, the pope said condoms are fine.

poo poo, I totally missed this. It's also not quite accurate in a fishmechy way, and by God this is relevant because the Catholic Church is nothing if not extremely fishmechy.

Looks like the two big things are:

- Pope Frank shrugging his shoulders during a discussion of Zika prevention, which is still kind of a big deal, and
- More importantly from a procedural and organizational standpoint, un-expelling a Knights of Malta dude who got his section of the group involved in distributing condoms by way of anti-HIV and family planning stuff. Over the objections of the shithead in charge of the Knights as a whole (who resigned, lol) and the shithead cardinal who's their patron. You may have heard of the second guy, his name is Raymond Burke and he's terrible.

So while it doesn't look like he's come out and said "heck yeah, condoms are good if you choose to use them", he demonstrably places fighting against contraception at a very very low priority, which makes me very very happy.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Halal meat is the best even for normal dishes, and still relatively well priced. It's just a higher quality of food. I'm over by Southfield and we have a few halal grocery stores, it's to die for.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

EwokEntourage posted:

Thanks, I thought halal and haram were like saying kosher and non-kosher, was wondering if there was something more to it I was missing (besides the actual details of what is halal/haram)

yeah halal is kosher-equivalent

fun fact: in places where there's not a proper halal provisioner, Muslims are encouraged to buy kosher products if they want to keep to strict dietary rules, because kosher requirements basically enclose halal requirements (unless you really want to be a theologically questionable rear end in a top hat about what magic spells are said at the butchery)

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/JohnDingell/status/974677474469654528
https://twitter.com/cmclymer/status/974676909702418432
https://twitter.com/mitchellreports/status/974663526299168769
https://twitter.com/aterkel/status/974660471566618624
https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/974657167683923969

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

A few months ago a local restaurant which prides itself on being farm-to-table and all that poo poo had "New York street cart-style chicken" which was just halal chicken and rice for $12 :laugh:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/974652343542337536?s=20

My theory, Trump was all ready to get rid of Kelly as late as this morning but that was considered a bridge too far for the rest of his cabinet and leading Senate Republicans and they threatened an outright revolt if he went through with it. McConnel is alleged to have basically demanded Kelly stay. And because Trump’s a coward he bowed to pressure.

I’m sure McMaster is still a dead man walking though so get ready for that.

Trump views his White House as reality TV, and it will make much better television if firing Kelly is a surprise. It also means that McConnell won't keep trying to talk him out of it.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

A few months ago a local restaurant which prides itself on being farm-to-table and all that poo poo had "New York street cart-style chicken" which was just halal chicken and rice for $12 :laugh:

Name. And. Shame.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cythereal posted:

The Catholic Church also strongly opposes the use of contraception. For good or ill, they are consistent about their belief that the purpose of sex is to reproduce and you shouldn't have sex if it's not to have children.

That's 100% inconsistent with believing abortion is murder, if abortion is murder it would be worth using contraceptives in order to prevent murders, even if that contraception increased the amount of non-procreative sex instead of just making the sex people were having anyway safer.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

All right I can see why she was voted in till she was 88. She was loving awesome.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

poo poo, I totally missed this. It's also not quite accurate in a fishmechy way, and by God this is relevant because the Catholic Church is nothing if not extremely fishmechy.

Looks like the two big things are:

- Pope Frank shrugging his shoulders during a discussion of Zika prevention, which is still kind of a big deal, and
- More importantly from a procedural and organizational standpoint, un-expelling a Knights of Malta dude who got his section of the group involved in distributing condoms by way of anti-HIV and family planning stuff. Over the objections of the shithead in charge of the Knights as a whole (who resigned, lol) and the shithead cardinal who's their patron. You may have heard of the second guy, his name is Raymond Burke and he's terrible.

So while it doesn't look like he's come out and said "heck yeah, condoms are good if you choose to use them", he demonstrably places fighting against contraception at a very very low priority, which makes me very very happy.

Being a Pope is kind of like being a Supreme Court Justice. You have a lot of latitude to make personal decisions on this stuff, but you have to find a way to do it that makes it sound like everyone before you was also right, somehow. You can't just retcon 1700 years of Catholic doctrine overnight. :shrug:

(Yes, I know this isn't a perfect analogy).

Also, as someone dealing with Fishmech in another thread, I appreciated the reference.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Devor posted:

Trump views his White House as reality TV, and it will make much better television if firing Kelly is a surprise. It also means that McConnell won't keep trying to talk him out of it.

Tune in next week (or in three hours) to find out what happens next!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Over the objections of the shithead in charge of the Knights as a whole (who resigned, lol) and the shithead cardinal who's their patron. You may have heard of the second guy, his name is Raymond Burke and he's terrible.

I remember a somewhat breathless article from late 2016/early 2017 about how this situation was the way Steve Bannon would subvert the Catholic Church.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

H&M has already dropped the lawsuit and put out a statement:

quote:

H&M respects the creativity and uniqueness of artists, no matter the medium. We should have acted differently in our approach to this matter. It was never our intention to set a precedent concerning public art or to influence the debate on the legality of streetart. As a result, we are withdrawing the complaint filed in court. We are currently reaching out to the artist in question to come up with a solution. We thank you for your comments and concerns, as always, your voice matters to us.

For a fast-fashion company, H&M is one of the better ones that actually tends to listen to complaints sent their way. They aren't great and are definitely bad in other ways, plus it's still fast fashion but they're better than a lot of their competitors.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/974675664686198784?s=19

Tax cuts doing work. (not for you tho)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

publishko posted:

when I changed my tinder profile just women to both men and women I went from 9 matches to 300 in like a week.

How the gently caress do you get 9 matches?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

AceOfFlames posted:

How the gently caress do you get 9 matches?

The secret is to be very good-looking. :ssh:

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

you know, I never really thought about this before, but I bet the food in the Muslim Invasion Center of America is phenomenal

As a fellow resident of the Dearborns, this is a true statement to the fullest degree.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Oxxidation posted:

love how anything remotely good and/or productive in this country is being engulfed and destroyed by a horde of idiot billionaires

Idiocy would be trying to run the companies legitimately and failing. What these firms did was bust them out mob style and bounce.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/974683485322596352

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I know it’s not the same thing, but if you guys have an Iranian shop among those middle eastern places then you must go right now and buy “sohan.” It is a cookie/pastry like snack but better in every single way. I used to be an atheist until I ate it and found god etc etc.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

White people are very, very stupid and think that Dearborn, MI, which has had a huge Middle Eastern population since the 30s or 40s, is some kind of Caliphate hellhole where people are beheaded for jaywalking and whites are forbidden. Instead of, you know, being a pretty chill Western Suburb with phenomenal food, some good museums, and a killer comic book shop.
I was talking to my wife's Uncle one time while visiting then in Baltimore and Dearborn came up. He was very vague about "oh it's not safe there, is it? Because you know they run it all down there."
I played dumb long enough for him to out himself before pivoting to no, the whole city doesn't bow to Mecca five times a day ffs. Don't believe me? Talk to your Republican brother in law who WORKS AT loving FORD ENGINEERING

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/IronStache/status/974677473064562688

Ideal scenario:
1. Paul Ryan loses to Paul Nehlen
2. Ryan swallows what's left of his pride, endorses and campaigns for Nehlen
3. Nehlen gets bodied by Bryce

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Thanks for letting us know we should run everywhere now that we know there is someone running unopposed!

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Halal meat is the best even for normal dishes, and still relatively well priced. It's just a higher quality of food. I'm over by Southfield and we have a few halal grocery stores, it's to die for.

Halal shops are also the absolute best for spices, you can get huge bags of hard-to-find stuff for a fraction of what you'd pay for a tiny jar at the regular grocery store. And for people with gluten issues, things like chickpea, coconut and rice flour are much cheaper there as well.

Also haloumi is amazing.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Ague Proof posted:

Ideal scenario:

Just imagine being able to show a side-by-side of Ryan campaigning for Nehlan, and Cruz phone banking for Trump.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ague Proof posted:

Ideal scenario:

God, imagine an election between Ironstache, Man of the People, and the guy who got banned from Twitter for yammering on about the Jewish Conspiracy. What hosed up Alan Moore comic are we living in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"Flynn, I mean, I knew Flynn very very well, and he is not a secret communist supporting Putin." - devin nunes, dumbest man alive

• Locked thread