Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

i loving love linkedin because these shitheads always put every detail of their exclusive elite upbringings online for the whole world to see

for example, david brown went to an expensive private university which today costs over $40k a year. then he went to work at a charter school for a couple years. then I guess he got bored, because he quit to enroll in another similarly expensive private university to get a second degree, which I'm sure he paid for with all that big money he earned as a history teacher. then third way hired him right out of college as a senior economic policy advisor. definitely a trust fund baby whose entire life has been sponsored by his parents

gabe horwitz, on the other hand, has the standard political grifter background. high-profile Ivy League school, some PR and consulting work, then positions at as many legislatative offices as possible in a short time to pad his resume so that he can get a cushy executive position at a major lobbying firm, where he stayed until Third Way hired him for an even cushier executive position

both of them definitely know a thing or two about rich people going to college, because they sure as hell didn't pay their own way through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
when you pay for the college education of tens of thousands of students via taxes, i think it's fair you get one for your own kids thrown in for free :)

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
We need to means test public libraries

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

anime was right posted:

when you pay for the college education of tens of thousands of students via taxes, i think it's fair you get one for your own kids thrown in for free :)

The first part is very important though. Let's get that one going before we start trying to exclude people.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Get liberals to means test means testing and watch their heads explode.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

anime was right posted:

Also from a ~~pragmatic~~ standpoint, the rich are much less likely to use their influence to slowly kill something if they have the same access to it as everyone else, even if only in theory, but as we all know these people don't actually give poo poo one about pragmatism

GalacticAcid posted:

We need to means test public libraries

Donald Trump could walk into any library he wants, and read a book for free :mad: Why are we paying to give the rich books???? Defund public libraries at once

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't think the children of rich people should be allowed to attend state universities.

I think they should be required to do so.

Serf
May 5, 2011

it would be far simpler to just eliminate rich people than try to means-test poo poo

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

just tax the rich so much that they stop being rich, bing bong so simple

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
when you think about it dekulakization was the ultimate means test

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I wouldn't want to have to pay for Trump's kids to go to college.

Serf
May 5, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

then reconcile it as your money going to things you do want to pay for

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

the point is that it's a universal benefit. excluding the rich from universal benefits just makes them more reactionary as a class

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

everybody deserves a college education if they want it imo

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
OK this should be posted here as well:

US Senate candidate proposes arming homeless people with shotguns

No idea if this guy is a random nut or is actually backed by the party but God drat.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SKULL.GIF posted:

that you can so freely offer this sort of nitpicking yet get really mad when it's applied to your own life and personal situation should teach you something

one can only hope you'll actually learn from it

:chloe:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

a society with a just taxation systems could make the argument that Trump already paid his kids's college education anyway

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

good news, trump wouldnt be caught dead letting his kids set foot onto a public college

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 17:16 on Mar 16, 2018

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

punk rebel ecks posted:

If this somehow incentivized the rich to put their kids in public schools and state colleges, said kids would probably grow up to be a lot more normal

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol if you don't want trump kids going to public colleges and universities instead of elite farms like Ivy's etc
e:

Zhulik posted:

If this somehow incentivized the rich to put their kids in public schools and state colleges, said kids would probably grow up to be a lot more normal

:argh:

Serf
May 5, 2011

well ideally there would only be public colleges

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Me neither, luckily if state college were free that wouldn't happen and instead he'd be paying for our kids to go to college

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
it's not about "paying for trump's kids college" it's about making education a public good that's accessible to everyone, to decouple it from the commodity form

your inability to move beyond the framework of individualized consumption decisions reveals your terminal liberalism

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Homeless Friend posted:

lol if you don't want trump kids going to public colleges and universities instead of elite farms like Ivy's etc

trump kids should be sent down to the countryside for reeducation hth

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/samknight_one/status/974679836563296256

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Zhulik posted:

Yeah, response #230982352 to the "paying for Trump's kids' college" gambit is that if Donald Trump wanted to send Barron to normal-rear end public state college, I would pay for that myself, but he won't, because like all rich people he wants his kids to be in Skull & Bones or whatever

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

readingatwork posted:

No idea if this guy is a random nut or is actually backed by the party but God drat.

quote:

Ellison, a Libertarian

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

readingatwork posted:

Bold strategy, lets see if it works

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
to be fair, "hobo with a shotgun" was a documentary, shot in real time.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I was being facetious.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/colsbols/status/974681005528199168?s=21

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Agreed. Physically empower the powerless.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
:same:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was being facetious.

I knew, I was responding to the argument not the poster, sorry if that wasn't clear

Serf
May 5, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was being facetious.

i figured it was just more of your gimmick

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
pretty messed up that people think the conservative rich should be able punish their kids for being gay/trans by denying them the ability to pursue higher education but that's just me

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Ace of Baes posted:

pretty messed up that people think the conservative rich should be able punish their kids for being gay/trans by denying them the ability to pursue higher education but that's just me

this is a good take, ty

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

GalacticAcid posted:

it's not about "paying for trump's kids college" it's about making education a public good that's accessible to everyone, to decouple it from the commodity form

your inability to move beyond the framework of individualized consumption decisions reveals your terminal liberalism

actually, its about the fiscal responsibility of saving on the bureaucratic costs of having to determine whether someone is too rich to qualify for free college.

universally free education just makes economic sense

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/status/974502510974160896

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/974601173108953088

• Locked thread