Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I think it's gonna be kind of bad but not in a way that resembles a mobile game or moba or star wars battlefront or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

All MMOs are bad so checks out.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

30.5 Days posted:

I think it's gonna be kind of bad but not in a way that resembles a mobile game or moba or star wars battlefront or whatever

Hopefully bad in the endearing way of swg and other old MMOs , but yes at soft launch it prob won't be the end all be all masterpiece.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
star citizen, but medieval and blockchain

still no real game

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Shroud is the blockchain one, this is the turn it into a straight shadowbane clone halfway through development one

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

30.5 Days posted:

Shroud is the blockchain one, this is the turn it into a straight shadowbane clone halfway through development one

I didn't play shadowbane when it came out but most everyone I know that did said it was pretty great except for the plethora of game breaking bugs that they never fixed?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I didn't play shadowbane much but I do remember that when I played aoe attacks could only hit a small number of players at a time and this resulted in sieges where everyone stood on top of each other to make targeting difficult

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Flavahbeast posted:

I didn't play shadowbane much but I do remember that when I played aoe attacks could only hit a small number of players at a time and this resulted in sieges where everyone stood on top of each other to make targeting difficult

STACK!

Yeah good times.

What we all knew in the Shadowbane beta was that the game was pretty fun but horribly unbalanced. We didn't care because there were so.many wipes. Guild leaders were duping, and we cheated in every way we could.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

The point of stacks was so when the enemy ran into you it would try to load hundreds of characters all at once and crash you. It worked perfectly. You could target AOEs on graves or even by text command so it wouldn't work for that anyways.

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~
So 5.5, the patch that should turn this into something resembling an actual game, is developed to the point of them running (2 now, I think) weekend 'snap tests' for the Big Money True Believers, which probably means it'll hit the 'live' (pretty much everyone who Bought The Game) test servers before the end of the month or soon after it

The patch includes (from what I've read, I missed the first snap test cause I didn't notice it was happening, and I was at a convention during the second):

Vendors, both Player controlled and Neutral
Mobs, some of which are tuned for more than one player
Pretty much all the crafting recipes are as they will be at launch, and I think all the trees (armor/weapons/vessel crafting/buildings??/potions I think) are there, but still need to be fleshed out more
I think all the 'Be the best at all crafting' test potions are being removed, so people will have to train gathering up, and be gatherers or something, I guess

Still To Come:
Performance
A Playerbase
Fun

so basically yeah April 1st Crowfall might be an actual game maybe

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Drakkus posted:

April 1st

:thunk:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtf-CVTg8LY

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Drakkus posted:

it'll hit the 'live' (pretty much everyone who Bought The Game) test servers before the end of the month or soon after it

Oh poo poo, so even the Cheapass-tier backers can test now? Neat.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I always knew you'd try and make me pay money. :argh:

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

Deki posted:

Oh poo poo, so even the Cheapass-tier backers can test now? Neat.

The 'live' test server is up to Beta 3 access now, which the $50 pack currently on the store includes.

When 5.5 hits (Which might actually be by April 1st given they posted they're really close this morning) they might dial back the access if they have too many people playing, but I suspect that's probably not going to happen considering they have basically no people playing right now.

This is pretty accurate. I suspect they're looking at the coffers and getting a bit worried with how long it's been in development. Gordon is usually pretty blunt and straightforward about the business side of the business when they let him in front of the camera.

One point they missed though : passive skill training can be 'potioned' and traded amongst players. The 'new player' experience 6 months after launch will probably be comparable to what you see in EVE. You can 'fly' a bee with the swarm and still be useful day 1. Then with either time, money, or the cooperation of your guild, you can get into something larger and more competitive to 'fly' alone.

I also suspect that either by soft launch or between that point and the point they start marketing the game they're gonna make the 'early levels' in passive skill training quick, or even baked into character creation (ala Eve). I have no source for this other than the fact that I know the developers aren't idiots and have faith that they're trying to create an actual game and not just trying to milk a bunch of gullible idiots out of a ton of money.

-a gullible idiot who has given them tons of money

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Drakkus posted:

The 'live' test server is up to Beta 3 access now, which the $50 pack currently on the store includes.

When 5.5 hits (Which might actually be by April 1st given they posted they're really close this morning) they might dial back the access if they have too many people playing, but I suspect that's probably not going to happen considering they have basically no people playing right now.

Yeah, I threw them somewhere around 20-30 2 years ago and was pleasantly suprised to see I could use the client. The game's not really there yet, but the foundations are there for a game if they don't blow it.

Drakkus posted:

This is pretty accurate. I suspect they're looking at the coffers and getting a bit worried with how long it's been in development. Gordon is usually pretty blunt and straightforward about the business side of the business when they let him in front of the camera.

One point they missed though : passive skill training can be 'potioned' and traded amongst players. The 'new player' experience 6 months after launch will probably be comparable to what you see in EVE. You can 'fly' a bee with the swarm and still be useful day 1. Then with either time, money, or the cooperation of your guild, you can get into something larger and more competitive to 'fly' alone.

I also suspect that either by soft launch or between that point and the point they start marketing the game they're gonna make the 'early levels' in passive skill training quick, or even baked into character creation (ala Eve). I have no source for this other than the fact that I know the developers aren't idiots and have faith that they're trying to create an actual game and not just trying to milk a bunch of gullible idiots out of a ton of money.

-a gullible idiot who has given them tons of money

While I agree it sounds like they could be having money issues, I really think his argument about VIP is pretty drat overblown. VIP player A and Free Player B have the same drat "power level" if they started playing at the same time, it's just that player A has a bit more flexibility. That's hardly a sin compared to many other games trying similar business models. At the end of the day people gotta get paid.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Deki posted:

While I agree it sounds like they could be having money issues, I really think his argument about VIP is pretty drat overblown. VIP player A and Free Player B have the same drat "power level" if they started playing at the same time, it's just that player A has a bit more flexibility. That's hardly a sin compared to many other games trying similar business models. At the end of the day people gotta get paid.

Without knowing anything about the game, even the arguments in the video didn't really make sense to me as to why VIP would be the death of it. It seemed, on a relative scale, fair to me. Then again, I am used to subscription models for MMOs, so it doesn't really bother me. Their policy if "we feel like the VIP should be overwhelmingly valuable" feels more like a benefit to the players than a detriment. It means at least you'd be getting something for your money.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

People have to get paid.

Under the old subscription model you paid your :10bux: or you don't play at all. Letting people either pay :10bux: and getting perks or not spending the money but still being able to play but have to deal with some annoying stuff is A OK with me.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Success or failure is going to be determined on whether they make a good game or not, their vip system is not going to factor into the equation. And as far as their finances go from what they let on they seem to be doing quite well and getting more money all the time. This game has only been in development for like 3 years with a shoestring budget, they could still deliver a pile of crap but that they've gotten this far this fast is already pretty impressive.

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~
So 5.5 has been on the 'live' test servers over the weekend, and after putting in a few hours, I figured I'd post about it because noone else is.

It's legitimately pretty decent. Client performance is significantly improved from 5.4, though the servers still chug with more than 40 people apparently (that's what the campaigns are capped at right now). The majority of the game loop is implemented, and guilds are organizing to set up EKs for crafting and to gear everyone back up. Ore is mostly limited to a highly contested part of the campaign map (which contains a bunch of mobs too), so there is some actual 'stuff' to fight over in the game.

Group combat is also apparently really fun, though I haven't seen much of the combat except again mobs.

The passive skill training is super sped up right now, so you can get yourself proficient in just about everything pretty quick.

Dropping in naked and having to minecraft for a while to get yourself basic gear is a bit of a sticking point for people, though being in an organized guild will obviously make that a lot less painful for most people.

There is an economy starting to form, and you can participate in it from the get go (cutting trees n poo poo)

It's very rough, and definitely an Alpha at best, but every other time I've installed the client to play over the last 3 years I've played for an an hour or two, then logged off until the next big patch. I've been logging in every day since the patch dropped for at least an hour or two, and it feels really wrong but I think it might actually be fun and good

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
so youre volunteering to start the official goon guild right

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Blazing Zero posted:

hello blazing zero

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

Blazing Zero posted:

I've been running an open recruitment guild since I found out they're paying $15 per guildmember to guildleaders when the game launches. I know most goons probably don't want to be in a guild with as many pubbies as I can possibly recruit, but if goons wanna join it I can't stop them

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

That's pretty cool to hear. Wonder if they have a plan for the whole "server making GBS threads itself if a whopping 40 people play your MMO simultaneously" thing. That seems odd. Is it just a server resource issue because they're running small instances? That would at least be fixable. If it's just a netcode issue, that's pretty bad because you're probably not scaling that up off a rotten foundation.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Biowarfare posted:

hello blazing zero

hello friend, i hope we can play this bad game together for a month and never again

Drakkus posted:

I've been running an open recruitment guild since I found out they're paying $15 per guildmember to guildleaders when the game launches. I know most goons probably don't want to be in a guild with as many pubbies as I can possibly recruit, but if goons wanna join it I can't stop them

youre talking funbucks to buy castle plots or w/e right

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

Blazing Zero posted:

youre talking funbucks to buy castle plots or w/e right

Oh yeah, it's Crowfallbucks, not actual money

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zaodai posted:

That's pretty cool to hear. Wonder if they have a plan for the whole "server making GBS threads itself if a whopping 40 people play your MMO simultaneously" thing. That seems odd. Is it just a server resource issue because they're running small instances? That would at least be fixable. If it's just a netcode issue, that's pretty bad because you're probably not scaling that up off a rotten foundation.

Presumably this is what the Moongates are intended to solve. For a certain variation of solve. They still need to get well ahead of 40 before anyone calls this an MMO of any stripe, but once they do, Moongates between instances should allow for some amelioration of those issues.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Orv posted:

Presumably this is what the Moongates are intended to solve. For a certain variation of solve. They still need to get well ahead of 40 before anyone calls this an MMO of any stripe, but once they do, Moongates between instances should allow for some amelioration of those issues.

Sure, instancing is a necessity in any MMO, no doubt. It's just if the limitation right now is they're running on lower spec servers to save money when they don't need a big population, that's easier to scale out of the problem by getting better hardware and obviously once they start optimizing things as you get out of the earlier dev phases. If it's a netcode instability thing, that's a bit harder to solve because you generally don't go from "poo poo netcode" to "good netcode" without just wholesale having different people do the coding (a la Battlefield 4 getting cleaned up).

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Sure, instancing is a necessity in any MMO, no doubt. It's just if the limitation right now is they're running on lower spec servers to save money when they don't need a big population, that's easier to scale out of the problem by getting better hardware and obviously once they start optimizing things as you get out of the earlier dev phases. If it's a netcode instability thing, that's a bit harder to solve because you generally don't go from "poo poo netcode" to "good netcode" without just wholesale having different people do the coding (a la Battlefield 4 getting cleaned up).

Well in this instance they have actually gone from poo poo netcode to decent netcode. I don't know where their stopping block is obviously, but this time last year combat of more than four people was an unplayable lag show. 3 people to 40 people isn't a great improvement, but hopefully it's an exponential thing now that they mostly have it solved.

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

Drakkus posted:

Oh also I forgot to mention the guild is Goon Squad, and it's been running for almost four months now. I'm gonna run it until launch but beyond that I honestly haven't decided.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Drakkus posted:

Oh also I forgot to mention the guild is Goon Squad, and it's been running for almost four months now. I'm gonna run it until launch but beyond that I honestly haven't decided.

You made Goon Squad a pubbie guild? shame!

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Something Cawful will, once it is created, remain our elite order of murderbirds

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

You must pay the goon tax to enter.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

So everyone is going to be a Guinecean, right?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

GoGoGadget posted:

So everyone is going to be a Guinecean, right?

You can jump from body to body pretty easily so yes

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

Capntastic posted:

You can jump from body to body pretty easily so yes

Yeah someone could literally just fill their bank with Guinea Pigs and Guns, everyone goes back to town and gets one, jumps into them and just rolls out. You should be able to gear up people with minimal experience and give them a simple role ala Eve 'bee' tactics.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Please don't be bad, this is the first pvp focussed mmo I've been interested in a while, the guinecean are amazing.

I'm gonna join in soon, been following this semi-regularly since september. I just want to be a guinea pig working for the greater good of all.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Please don't be bad

*stares at a chart on the wall* got some bad news for ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Please don't be bad, this is the first pvp focussed mmo I've been interested in a while, the guinecean are amazing.

I'm gonna join in soon, been following this semi-regularly since september. I just want to be a guinea pig working for the greater good of all.

There's a reason that no company has a game like this. It's really hard to pull off a game where PVP combat matters and keep your player base. The losers have a tendency to Simply abandon your game because no one likes losing for fun.

That goes double for games where you actually have something worth fighting for. So you end up in this place where you have to balance making battles meaningful yet at the same time not pissing off the losers so much that they move on to the next big thing.

So never mind getting MMO combat balanced and fun. That's the easy part.