Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Looking forward to The Ringer article from Bill Simmons on which The Wire character skipper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

quote:

Skipper admitted that his cocaine use had caused “a missed plane and a few canceled morning appointments,” but said that it otherwise never affected his professional work. “I judge that I did a very good job and that it did not get in the way of my work,” he said. “I worked hard, I worked smart. I worked all the time.”

Outside of those times it affected my work it never affected my work

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
And the time I got blackmailed and to avoid embarrassment my boss made it clear I needed to resign. Aside from ruining my life, I've not had any negative personal effects from cocaine.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Chris Kuc is one of several people laid off at the Chicago Tribune today

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Figured something was up with him when they took him off the Blackhawks beat a few weeks ago.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This is why I said don't buy a subscription just to "support local newspapers". As mentioned earlier in the thread, Tronc gave out enormous bonuses to their top executives.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

someone on Twitter said that private equity/hedge funds running a business is like the bust-out scenes from The Sopranos or Goodfellas, except instead of Italian guys doing it it's men with Harvard/prep-school credentials who wear nice suits

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

See, I never just did things just to do them. Come on, what am I gonna do? Just all of a sudden jump up and greenlight barstool sports like it's something to do? Come on. I got a little more sense then that.
...Yeah, I remember greenlighting barstool sports.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Niwrad posted:

This is why I said don't buy a subscription just to "support local newspapers". As mentioned earlier in the thread, Tronc gave out enormous bonuses to their top executives.

To that end:

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/974666746513600512

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

heard it also happened in denver this week

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/974046094391832576

hedge funds suck

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
So I cancelled my Athletic free trial. It's pretty good, but just didn't have quite enough stuff about what I cared about or wanted to read. I think I wanted it to be like the old Ringer site + local coverage, which is probably not a good expectation. Anyone who is thinking about, if you sign up you get a 7 day free trial and if you hit cancel they'll give you another 7 days, all before they charge. So if you cancel before the 14 you won't pay for anything.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Lockback posted:

So I cancelled my Athletic free trial. It's pretty good, but just didn't have quite enough stuff about what I cared about or wanted to read. I think I wanted it to be like the old Ringer site + local coverage, which is probably not a good expectation. Anyone who is thinking about, if you sign up you get a 7 day free trial and if you hit cancel they'll give you another 7 days, all before they charge. So if you cancel before the 14 you won't pay for anything.

I hope you mean the old Grantland site, because Ringer has always been underwhelming.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tavarin posted:

I hope you mean the old Grantland site, because Ringer has always been underwhelming.

Yeah, meant Grantland. Their NBA coverage was always a cool balance of analytical and amusing and just enough hot takes to not be annoying.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Yea Ringer has no one like Lowe or even Keri.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Hand Row posted:

Yea Ringer has no one like Lowe or even Keri.

I like Baumann a lot for baseball but their serious NBA writers are all really bad

Exploding Computer
Oct 6, 2006
Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

I like Baumann a lot for baseball but their serious NBA writers are all really bad

I can't tell if they're actually bad writers or are just under tremendous pressure to constantly reference unicorns, Ewing Theory, or whatever dumb thing Simmons has rattling around his head that week. Maybe both?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Perhaps I'm mis-remembering but Grantland seemed to have a slightly different editorial ethos or maybe its just the quality of writers because The Ringer articles always seem really short. Like, sometimes its even one I really think is good and then it abruptly ends when I thought there'd be more paragraphs.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

soggybagel posted:

Perhaps I'm mis-remembering but Grantland seemed to have a slightly different editorial ethos or maybe its just the quality of writers because The Ringer articles always seem really short. Like, sometimes its even one I really think is good and then it abruptly ends when I thought there'd be more paragraphs.

That’s correct. The Ringer wants mostly quick hitters. They have a couple of longform features every week but not nearly as many as Grantland.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

soggybagel posted:

No they're way more mobile oriented and want short articles but even accounting for that the basketball stuff is pretty bad

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
That's because Ringer is actually expected to turn a profit, rather than just being part of Bill Simmons' compensation package like Grantland was for ESPN

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Regarding the hedge fund stuff:

(First of all gently caress those hedge funds and what the likes of Tronc and Digital First Media have done to those papers)

But is the idea of "don't support local papers who are run by these people" to wait until they end up killing themselves because of how poorly they're corporately governed and then support via subscription any sort of local coverage startup that pops up?

I only ask because one of the biggest questions in the industry right now is essentially: if a community papers shuts down, is something going to necessarily pop up to replace it?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Speaking of newspapers behaving badly, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has had such a terrible run of garbage on its editorial page (endorsing no one for president in 2016, running some "pointing out racism is just as bad as racism" poo poo for MLK day, endorsing a Trump clone for a special election in Congress because "if the Democrat wins Trump might get impeached someday") that the union representing the newsroom had to put out a statement begging people not to cancel subscriptions because it only hurts THEM, not the rich assholes on the editorial board which includes the publisher himself.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Speaking of newspapers behaving badly, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has had such a terrible run of garbage on its editorial page (endorsing no one for president in 2016, running some "pointing out racism is just as bad as racism" poo poo for MLK day, endorsing a Trump clone for a special election in Congress because "if the Democrat wins Trump might get impeached someday") that the union representing the newsroom had to put out a statement begging people not to cancel subscriptions because it only hurts THEM, not the rich assholes on the editorial board which includes the publisher himself.

Lmao that's run by John Robinson Block, isn't it? The Toledo Blade is his too and their workers are voicing the same concerns

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

soggybagel posted:

This is always so jarring lmao

Ah this piece is building to a reasonable hypoth[south park banker voice] aaaannnnnndddd it's gone.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/976544563933442048

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Impressive timing by Mr Deitsch

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Waffles Inc. posted:

(First of all gently caress those hedge funds and what the likes of Tronc and Digital First Media have done to those papers)

But is the idea of "don't support local papers who are run by these people" to wait until they end up killing themselves because of how poorly they're corporately governed and then support via subscription any sort of local coverage startup that pops up?

I only ask because one of the biggest questions in the industry right now is essentially: if a community papers shuts down, is something going to necessarily pop up to replace it?

I guess the model could be places whose newspaper support ended a long time ago, or places that never had newspapers to begin with.

Some (most?) of these places don't have papers. Either no one wants them or has the time to make them. Others have what are glorified zines, or small community papers; either of these either do or do not have advertisements of local companies, and they're distributed cheaply or free. Others have community papers that are non-locally owned that are basically chains slightly customized for these communities; these often don't have reporters and are either reprinting national news stuff, or, more commonly, are actually being written by people in developing nations for pennies. Others have a strong online-only papers, some also set up and managed locally, others managed by these non-local companies.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Waffles Inc. posted:

I don't really know what the strategy is long term. But "support local papers" just means giving perverts like Michael Ferro a bigger bonus. That money isn't going to go into the paper.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

They already fired all the staff photographers a few years ago and they did a layoff of a bunch of staff writers last year; how many "staffers" are left, the ad sales people and a couple of poor kids out of college doing layout?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Timby posted:

They already fired all the staff photographers a few years ago

Considering the name of the magazine that still makes my blood boil.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Time and Fortune are on the block too apparently

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Scaramouche posted:

Time and Fortune are on the block too apparently

Yeah, Meredith said last year that all of the weekly publications were likely to be up for sale at some point in 2018.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I mean, changing SI to biweekly was a pretty solid indicator of how things are going

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is it still published ??

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This guy makes baseball art for a living and is part of the hall of fame in some capacity:
https://twitter.com/pootpoot/status/976655164667867136?s=21

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yeah, I was seeing some twitter threads about baseball player employers not needing to adhere to federal labor laws and regulations. So many lovely people in this world.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

This guy makes baseball art for a living and is part of the hall of fame in some capacity:
https://twitter.com/pootpoot/status/976655164667867136?s=21

https://twitter.com/PootPoot/status/971864919061639168

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

That dude's minimalist park stuff is pretty good and I was thinking about buying a print but I'm glad I didn't now!

EDIT: I guess he's actually reading the replies?

https://twitter.com/PootPoot/status/976806426247970816

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kibner posted:

Yeah, I was seeing some twitter threads about baseball player employers not needing to adhere to federal labor laws and regulations. So many lovely people in this world.

Basically the omnibus spending bill has language in it that makes MiLB players exempt from overtime regulations, so they don't have to be paid anything more than $7.25x40 per week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/977181923356262400