Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FizFashizzle posted:

i bet establishment republicans are alright with this tbqh

Nah. They want to pack every federal court with fascists just like Trumpists do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Arglebargle III posted:

How the corporate takeover scam works:

1. Take out a bunch of debt.

2. Buy a new company.

3. Use your new company to issue a ton of corporate bonds. (To idiots, I don't know why anyone would buy a bond from a firm just taken over by a corporate pirate outfit.)

4. Use the money from the bonds at your new company to pay your pirate company a ton of money.

5. Pay back your debt and pay yourself a lot of money on top.

6. New company goes into bankruptcy.

7. New company is liquidated, everyone loses their jobs, people who bought its bonds get pennies on the dollar, but you're rich.

8. Go to 1

This is how Romney made his money.

And to be clear, this debt basically destroys a companies cash flow. Toys R Us was paying 400 Million a year in debt servicing. In 2014 for example, that would have made it a profitable year vs a loss. And it certainly means they had less funds to invest in modernizing their stores/supply chain/website.

H.P. Grenade
Oct 21, 2003

Smooth.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

those are good books but neither of them involve the Lancre Witches so they can't be the best.

I concede, I'm smart enough to not argue with a Lancre Witch fan.

The least-good Discworld book is 'Last Continent' though, because it's basically one big novel-sized Australia joke, though.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
The worse position the leverage puts you in, the more expensive it becomes to hold debt, the more likely you are to be pushed into bankruptcy by this maneuver.

It's a great way to get at the delicious, sweet sweet juice inside ($7B in total assets set to be liquidated) but obviously you can't preserve the business to do this.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

For some really good insight, you should read Barbarians at the Gate: The Fall of RJR Nabisco.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Press briefing, if you hate yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N4eMDvjxMw

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

She's just utterly unqualified for this job, huh?

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm kind of curious if Mueller has a source in the WH, and if he's about to get fired he tosses out something awful to make canning him look worse.
I imagine it would be simpler to ask the CIA to leak it via us/Goonfleet.

AceOfFlames posted:

Have you ever read Going Postal by Terry Prachett? (If not then do. It's also a great introduction to Discworld). Bain Capital is essentially Reacher Gilt. The main difference is that while Gilt TRICKED companies into letting them buy them with their own money via predatory loans, our wonderful financial system allows companies like Bain to straight up acquire companies on credit while using the ACQUIREE'S assets as collateral. In other words, they are even MORE blatantly evil than Gilt.
Going Postal is fantastic (and yes, what I recommend as the most approachable to a general-audience); it's also a fun read about why having a government-run postal service is a) cool and b) good. Fun read no matter whether you like fantasy or not. I guess it also sets up metaplot developments of the world that sadly never were able to be fully followed up on. RIP :(

The sequel, Making Money, is also excellent, if not as good (but I'm talking like, A vs A+). It also provides a lot of fun descriptions of a central banking system being established/overhauled, with some very fun digs at libertarians sprinkled in.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

boner confessor posted:

guards! guards! or gtfo

we are married now

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I was just thinking how good she is at it. She never flinches.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

boner confessor posted:

what is the most problematic discworld book, aside from interesting times, which is the most problematic discworld book

As I remember it, Twoflower's portrayal in the first two books is way, way worse than anything that happened in Interesting Times.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I was just thinking how good she is at it. She never flinches.

yeah, she's great at her job

the dissonance comes in for people who expect her to provide a truthful account of the administration. in reality, her job is to look reporters right in the face and tell them lies, that everyone knows are lies, without breaking character

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

gently caress shucks

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am no makeup master by any stretch but umm, shouldn't you at least try to match your natural skin?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

She is utterly unqualified to be a white house press secretary tasked with giving the media a daily update on the white house's plans and views on the news of the day.

Thats fine though because Trump does not want a press secretary, the role is not currently filled, regardless of her title. She is well-qualified to be Trump's hateful lying toady whose primary responsibility is to fight with and mock the media.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Vintersorg posted:

I am not makeup master by any stretch but umm, shouldn't you at least try to match your natural skin?

Trump's rubbing off on her.

Real talk, stage makeup for pale people has to be a few shades darker because the lights will completely wash you out otherwise. You can see the same thing when Conan O'Brien puts his hand to his face

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 16, 2018

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

I am no makeup master by any stretch but umm, shouldn't you at least try to match your natural skin?

Perhaps every day she goes just a slight shade oranger to emulate Trump.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

lol, what a great take.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The worse position the leverage puts you in, the more expensive it becomes to hold debt, the more likely you are to be pushed into bankruptcy by this maneuver.

It's a great way to get at the delicious, sweet sweet juice inside ($7B in total assets set to be liquidated) but obviously you can't preserve the business to do this.

Yeah I would guess the people buying corporate bond in this scenario have agreed with the pirates that they will get the assets and debt service while the pirate gets a payday.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rigel posted:

She is utterly unqualified to be a white house press secretary tasked with giving the media a daily update on the white house's plans and views on the news of the day.

Doesn't matter because the media are utterly unqualified to do their jobs and hold spokespeople and politicians accountable for what they say. Why don't reporters bring a list of the questions from last week that she promised to answer this week. If she refuses to answer and calls on someone else, rather than sucking up in gratitude for getting called on, why doesn't the new person demand she answer the original question.

It isn't hard to do, if you're not a corporate tool whose job is to suck government and corporate cock and regurgitate their talking points while putting on a dog-and-pony show of accountability which doesn't actually exist.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

VitalSigns posted:

Doesn't matter because the media are utterly unqualified to do their jobs and hold spokespeople and politicians accountable for what they say. Why don't reporters bring a list of the questions from last week that she promised to answer this week. If she refuses to answer and calls on someone else, rather than sucking up in gratitude for getting called on, why doesn't the new person demand she answer the original question.

It isn't hard to do, if you're not a corporate tool whose job is to suck government and corporate cock and regurgitate their talking points while putting on a dog-and-pony show of accountability which doesn't actually exist.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/952301373479104512

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

boner confessor posted:

yeah, she's great at her job

the dissonance comes in for people who expect her to provide a truthful account of the administration. in reality, her job is to look reporters right in the face and tell them lies, that everyone knows are lies, without breaking character

Compare her performance to the physician that was talking about Trump's physical. He was so nervous trying to tell people "of course he can get by on 4 hours of sleep and a steady diet of McDonalds, he's got great genes!" Watch him blinking a hundred times a sentence, that's a tell if I've ever seen one.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

So why doesn’t this happen more often? I mean theoretically this could happen to any company out there you choose. You go ahead and borrow money, but it and bust it out. Shouldn’t this be happening everywhere?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

cnn still has trump lackeys on its payroll and puts them on tv.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah I would guess the people buying corporate bond in this scenario have agreed with the pirates that they will get the assets and debt service while the pirate gets a payday.

They don't have to "agree," that's literally what happens when you buy a bond. It's not some secret cabal or dark shadowy rooms, it's pretty simple free market economics, but yeah it tends to cause precisely this outcome.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

What has that tweet to do with what I said.

Are you arguing that because Trump makes illegitimate criticisms of the media, there are no legitimate criticisms of the media?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Vladimir Putin posted:

So why doesn’t this happen more often? I mean theoretically this could happen to any company out there you choose. You go ahead and borrow money, but it and bust it out. Shouldn’t this be happening everywhere?

It happens most often when you can buy the company's equity for less than the price of the assets.

And for a while I'll remind you that it WAS happening everywhere.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Arglebargle III posted:

How the corporate takeover scam works:

1. Take out a bunch of debt.

2. Buy a new company.

3. Use your new company to issue a ton of corporate bonds. (To idiots, I don't know why anyone would buy a bond from a firm just taken over by a corporate pirate outfit.)

4. Use the money from the bonds at your new company to pay your pirate company a ton of money.

5. Pay back your debt and pay yourself a lot of money on top.

6. New company goes into bankruptcy.

7. New company is liquidated, everyone loses their jobs, people who bought its bonds get pennies on the dollar, but you're rich.

8. Go to 1

This is how Romney made his money.
It's step 6 that gets me. Isn't new company still part of your company at this stage? Why is your company not held liable for that arm of your company? Even Enron went down for precisely that.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Tayter Swift posted:

It's step 6 that gets me. Isn't new company still part of your company at this stage? Why is your company not held liable for that arm of your company? Even Enron went down for precisely that.

Welcome to the wonderful world of LLCs and independent subsidiaries, my friend.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

aware of dog posted:

That butter better be made from raw milk :colbert:

Remember when a state passed a pro-raw milk law, had some raw milk and got sick got immune system boosters and rested on their office sofas for the day.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Tayter Swift posted:

lol, no.

IF (and it's a big if) you're dumb enough to continue to hold equity (common or preferred stock) interest in the company that you've LBO'ed, your stock becomes worthless.

If a company you owned stock in went worthless, would you go after the shareholders to pay off the debt? (I don't actually care whether YOU would, the answer is that you can't be held liable for a company's bankruptcy just because you are holding equity in a company).

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 16, 2018

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

It happens most often when you can buy the company's equity for less than the price of the assets.

And for a while I'll remind you that it WAS happening everywhere.

If a companies equity is less than the price of he assets wouldn’t that make it mispriced?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Vladimir Putin posted:

If a companies equity is less than the price of he assets wouldn’t that make it mispriced?

Wal*Mart's "book value" (shares outstanding * share price) right now is $260B, the real estate they own under all their stores is worth about $40B more than that on its own, and if you discount their stable cash flows the whole enterprise is probably worth $800B.

Mispriced equity happens all the time.

I've got some terrible news about "rational pricing" in the stock market.

Why do you think share prices can go up and down several percentage points a day?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This is only tangentially related but how much actual cash money are the hyper rich worth? Like how much liquid currency could Bezos come up with in a week from all the poo poo he owns?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Wal*Mart's "book value" (shares outstanding * share price) right now is $260B, the real estate they own under all their stores is worth about $40B more than that on its own, and if you discount their stable cash flows the whole enterprise is probably worth $800B.

Mispriced equity happens all the time.

I've got some terrible news about "rational pricing" in the stock market.

Why do you think share prices can go up and down several percentage points a day?

So Walmart is probably underpriced and is at risk for takeover.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

They don't have to "agree," that's literally what happens when you buy a bond. It's not some secret cabal or dark shadowy rooms, it's pretty simple free market economics, but yeah it tends to cause precisely this outcome.

According to Wikipedia: TRU was private, iHM 70% private/30% public, and The Post's owner is fully private. I'm not the best at financial matters but in a general sense both parties would have to agree to the terms through negotiation, versus I can just go buy a piece of Target without ever talking to their execs, right? I'm still not suggesting the imagery that you brought up, but I don't fully understand.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is only tangentially related but how much actual cash money are the hyper rich worth? Like how much liquid currency could Bezos come up with in a week from all the poo poo he owns?

Bezos' net worth is nearly entirely derived from the share price of Amazon. Amazon is an exchange traded stock. Dumping $80B of stock would probably cause the share price to move, but he could get close to (if not entirely) that amount by private sales, if he needed to be in USD.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Vladimir Putin posted:

So Walmart is probably underpriced and is at risk for takeover.

You can't do this with the numbers that Wal*Mart is worth, which is the other half of it.

Every investment bank on Wall Street put together would have to agree that this is a good idea (to write $300B of corporate debt to get this deal done - at terms that they feel like they could get paid back) and you'd have to be an absolute loving maniac to attempt it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

EwokEntourage posted:

Thanks, I thought halal and haram were like saying kosher and non-kosher, was wondering if there was something more to it I was missing (besides the actual details of what is halal/haram)

Traif you imbecile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

The Sean posted:

According to Wikipedia: TRU was private, iHM 70% private/30% public, and The Post's owner is fully private. I'm not the best at financial matters but in a general sense both parties would have to agree to the terms through negotiation, versus I can just go buy a piece of Target without ever talking to their execs, right? I'm still not suggesting the imagery that you brought up, but I don't fully understand.

With privately held companies there are still shares with a share price, they're just not listed on an exchange. Instead of buying shares from individual shareholders and issuing bonds, they just buy from the ownership (and issue bonds).

The bonds are issued and sold the same way either way.

There's no "stock market" for bonds, you buy bonds from bond trading desks at banks.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 16, 2018

• Locked thread