Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Chucktesla posted:

I'd actually like to see a proposal on how to pay for m4a without raising taxes on low and middle income people, if there is one out there.
my proposal is raise taxes on rich people and cut defense spending to pay for the tax increases

done

also did you know that the US pays for healthcare more per capita on government spending than the UK spends per capita on government spending? the US medical system is farcically inefficient due to privatization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Chucktesla posted:

I'd actually like to see a proposal on how to pay for m4a without raising taxes on low and middle income people, if there is one out there.

Sure, here it is: tax the gently caress out of rich people. Welp, thanks for reading.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the media (e.g. NPR) goes out of its way to never reasonably compare US healthcare and other systems and how much americans are getting ripped off. people aren't stupid morons and will understand they get more overall if you replace premiums with more cost efficient taxes. the media always intentionally frames this misleadingly though and did so throughout the primaries implying that sanders' proposal would be more expensive than the current system

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chucktesla posted:

lol

Serf
May 5, 2011

i exist in a situation where i make very little money and i have medical needs that i have to deal with regularly. i have been avoiding going to the doctor because i can't afford the bills. i would gladly take a consistent increase in my taxes if it meant i could get my poo poo fixed with no charge to me

(don't raise taxes, imo, just eat the rich)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

tax the poo poo out of the rich
end all corporate tax loopholes
institute an annual wealth tax
punitively tax unoccupied property

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
a rich person getting free college is such a disgrace that we can't let poor people get free college if there's even the slightest possibility that a rich person may sneak in there, this makes sense

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Chucktesla posted:

you tax the rich :v:

americans are so normalized into how disparate and disproportional the wealth really is

Serf
May 5, 2011

limit personal wealth to no more than 100k

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Serf posted:

limit personal wealth to no more than 100k

counterpoint: this would make it impossible to own a house

Serf
May 5, 2011

loquacius posted:

counterpoint: this would make it impossible to own a house

countercounterpoint: houses should be free

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

tax the poo poo out of the rich
end all corporate tax loopholes
institute an annual wealth tax
punitively tax unoccupied property

i'd throw in a very (very) high estate / gift tax, possibly with exceptions for young children of decedents up to a defined amount based on number and age

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Serf posted:

countercounterpoint: houses should be free

*points* Nationalized

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

you dont even need to tax rich people to pay for m4a and all the cool useful social programs, the government can always pay for everything it needs. don't believe it? they just gave $100 billion to Trump for more defense spending we don't need, that's free college for everyone in america right there. unsurprisingly the rich people that run congress like telling everyone else there's no money

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Tiberius Christ posted:

you dont even need to tax rich people to pay for m4a and all the cool useful social programs, the government can always pay for everything it needs. don't believe it? they just gave $100 billion to Trump for more defense spending we don't need, that's free college for everyone in america right there. unsurprisingly the rich people that run congress like telling everyone else there's no money
notably, there was no great debate. there was no gnashing of teeth. no hemhawing reporting in the media and in npr

it just goes through uncontested by the media and both parties as a giveaway to the wealthy

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tiberius Christ posted:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

we should all live together in one giant room the size of Nebraska and Oklahoma combined, like a big family, and Texas will be the front yard and the back yard will be the northern prairie and the lucky ones will have escaped to the mountains on either side to live truly free as nature intended, and then beyond that, the great oceans, engorged big league upon the ice waters of the melting polar regions.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the first minute of this jimmy dore rant is a good rebuke to how insane this line of argument is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HAqDPfj8B8

how are you gonna afford that half-price medicine? *jackoff hand motions*

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

just a reminder that capitalists are literally killing americans by skyrocketing and colluding to pricefix the price of insulin to unaffordability so they can make more money

insulin has been around as a medication for almost a century

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

you

Tiberius Christ posted:

even need to -

tax

the

Tiberius Christ posted:

tax rich people

rich

anyways!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

quote:

When inventor Frederick Banting discovered insulin in 1923, he refused to put his name on the patent. He felt it was unethical for a doctor to profit off a discovery that would save lives. Banting’s co-inventors, James Collip and Charles Best, sold the insulin patent to the University of Toronto for a mere $1. They also wanted everyone who needed their medication to be able to afford it.

Today Banting and colleagues would be spinning in their graves: Their drug, which many of America’s 30 million diabetics rely on, has become the latest poster child for pharmaceutical price gouging.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Tiberius Christ posted:

you missed the mark by a bit. yes, military spending needs to go down, but also corporate tax needs to go wayyyyyyyyyy up.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Cutting military spending and raising corporate taxes and even a wealth cap are great ideas and workable in the system we currently operate under but these ideas are lacking that certain supremely spectacular, morbidly theatrical, grotesque pizazz that usually accompanies times of great historical change.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

you missed the mark by a bit. yes, military spending needs to go down, but also corporate tax needs to go wayyyyyyyyyy up.

well sure, im not saying dont eat the rich. the point is everything that most people believe how the economy works, like that its a household that has to balance its debts and income, are total BS. Even a single change to our system would undermine how it's run, which is kind of insane but explains all the pushback

Tiberius Christ has issued a correction as of 21:35 on Mar 16, 2018

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

well neither has the capability of feeling shame so my money is they got drafted for hillary/hillary's replacement 2020

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Tiberius Christ posted:

well sure, im not saying dont eat the rich. the point is everything that most people believe how the economy works, like that its a household that has to balance its debts and income, are total BS. Even a single change to our system would undermine how it's run, which is kind of insane and explains all the pushback

sure do all that and crunch the numbers and wonk it out but

tax the rich

a lot

like a lot a lot

then you can be amazed at the windfall that all the wonk didn't even calculate before~

and now your budget is just so exhilarating and flexible

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Chucktesla posted:

Those numbers go down quite a bit when you say single payer and expanding social security will increase their taxes

if we went back to eisenhower era top tax rates we could honestly set the rate at 0% for the first 100k of income and still have money left over

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Over Easy posted:

Cutting military spending and raising corporate taxes and even a wealth cap are great ideas and workable in the system we currently operate under but these ideas are lacking that certain supremely spectacular, morbidly theatrical, grotesque pizazz that usually accompanies times of great historical change.

need to throw in incentives, like a free blender or whatever

people like free poo poo

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well neither has the capability of feeling shame so my money is they got drafted for hillary/hillary's replacement 2020

has sally albright worked for any democratic candidate other than hillary

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/MonsyAlvarado/status/974675241506103296

woah.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

comedyblissoption posted:

just a reminder that capitalists are literally killing americans by skyrocketing and colluding to pricefix the price of insulin to unaffordability so they can make more money

insulin has been around as a medication for almost a century
Good lol, diabetics are fatties and all fatties should die.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Annual Prophet posted:

i'd throw in a very (very) high estate / gift tax, possibly with exceptions for young children of decedents up to a defined amount based on number and age

imo make the amount you can keep directly proportional to the national average wage

"we don't care that you have a billion dollars, if the average worker makes 40k/yr the most you can keep is 400,000." (or whatever)

both discourages wealth hoarding and encourages reinvestment in wages

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

Good lol, diabetics are fatties and all fatties should die.

you do realize that type I diabetics are born with it (and usually quite thin), right?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

GoluboiOgon posted:

you do realize that type I diabetics are born with it (and usually quite thin), right?

my uncle has it and runs marathons all the goddamn time, dude is the healthiest motherfucker i know

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

GoluboiOgon posted:

No, I don't know aaaaaanything about diabetes, lmao, and I'm being extremely serious, ha ha

but seriously all fatties kill yourselves

C-SPAM has told me this is a very good and leftist opinion to have lol

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, I don't know aaaaaanything about diabetes, lmao, and I'm being extremely serious, ha ha

but seriously all fatties kill yourselves

C-SPAM has told me this is a very good and leftist opinion to have lol

Which thread?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

Which thread?
ALL OF THEM

nah j/k some dumbass in the Trump thread going on about how disgusting fat people are

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

FactsAreUseless posted:

ALL OF THEM

nah j/k some dumbass in the Trump thread going on about how disgusting fat people are

Trump is a bronze Baron Harkonnen

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lastgirl posted:

Trump is a bronze Baron Harkonnen
yeah but because he touches kids, not just because he's fat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

FactsAreUseless posted:

yeah but because he touches kids, not just because he's fat

true

luckily they're able to outrun him because of the bone spurs and use obstacles like stairs to their advantage :o:

• Locked thread