Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but one great detail is they kept Fenix's movement similar to the Dragoons in SC1 where the model's orientation never changes regardless of which direction it's moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Ever since WoW Blizzard can't write a villian that isn't a saturday morning cartoon bad guy

"This villain needs a motivation...I've got it, what if they were possessed by a demon! No, too obvious. But what if I called it something other than a demon? Delightfully devilish Blizzard!"

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You call demons 'Amon's corruption?'

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Bogart posted:

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Kai Tave posted:

Also I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but one great detail is they kept Fenix's movement similar to the Dragoons in SC1 where the model's orientation never changes regardless of which direction it's moving.

That's gonna be odd.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

lucifirius posted:

That's gonna be odd.

It works for tracer and genji

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Oh! Nevermind, I take it back. I was thinking of something else.

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Bogart posted:

It's a.... terran dialect.
Really. Well I'm from Terra and I've never heard anyone use the expression "Amon's corruption".

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

No, not Terra. It's a Korhal expression.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Someone needs to photoshop some marine suits on these guys.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I'm just glad they confirm the blue goo in the video

now I want to see a ghost in the shell walking tank skin

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

AlmightyBob posted:

I'm just glad they confirm the blue goo in the video

most important thing imo

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Guys we gotta turn in the coins! Omg idiots turn in!!!!

Sounds good, gonna go in and 1 v 5 the enemy team then turn in brb

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Guys we gotta turn in the coins! Omg idiots turn in!!!!

Sounds good, gonna go in and 1 v 5 the enemy team then turn in brb

In a similar vein I had a game today on Haunted Mines where our Nova was constantly complaining about us not being aggressive enough, then when we have a 70 skill golem pushing its way straight to the core without any other structures in the way, what does she do? Go back and solo defend a full health keep from a 30 skull golem.

I mean we won, but still.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Fenix looks neat and I'm glad they're releasing him, I just am a little skeptical of another ranged assassin without CC... it's already difficult to give them all a purpose in the game right now (I guess i'm specifically referring to Zul'jin, Raynor, and Valla). The two AA types seems fun though.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Been playing some more Vikings in QP. Thanks for whoever recommended play again instead of longboat, it's a great heroic. It's fun to play vikings like murky, stacking up on regen globes early in the game so your passive regen goes through the roof, and then in the late game let enemies waste their abilities on you, jump and run off so they will have accomplished nothing while you demolish their structures and minion waves.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

No Wave posted:

Fenix looks neat and I'm glad they're releasing him, I just am a little skeptical of another ranged assassin without CC... it's already difficult to give them all a purpose in the game right now (I guess i'm specifically referring to Zul'jin, Raynor, and Valla). The two AA types seems fun though.

He has the slow from Plasma Cutter which has a pretty huge max range and continues to swing around while he's moving. I'm also guessing he's going to end up more like Greymane where you poke from a distance using Phase Bomb before switching to Repeater Cannon and swooping in to actually secure the kill.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I'm still pretty dependent on build guides, and I've noticed that some builds don't really tell you when you'd want to use it. For example, I can see 3 common builds for Zeratul, which is cleave build, burst build, and sustained AA build. When would I want to use those? Like I could see Cleave build maybe in maps with small objective points people have to clump together on, though I'm not that big a fan of that build. What about the others?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Icy veins has those three builds and the descriptions under them say what they're good for.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Ah, I see. That AA build, thats to focus on mercs? Seems like just taking a hero more suited to that would be better?

E: so burst good for 1 hero that holds their team together? Sustained good for uh.. Not sure. Tanks?

Charles Bukowski fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 17, 2018

kater
Nov 16, 2010

auto attack build for when ur frustrated varian didn't take 2blade

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Sindai posted:

Icy veins has those three builds and the descriptions under them say what they're good for.

The more I play the more skeptical I get towards icy veins’ builds. Most of the time they just feel off and sub-optimal.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

kater posted:

auto attack build for when ur frustrated varian didn't take 2blade

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It's fun when you have to do the warrior gold quest but do not want to be a warrior.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bogart posted:

It's fun when you have to do the warrior gold quest but do not want to be a warrior.

Csmash and draft modes still exist, though.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Shibawanko posted:

Been playing some more Vikings in QP. Thanks for whoever recommended play again instead of longboat, it's a great heroic. It's fun to play vikings like murky, stacking up on regen globes early in the game so your passive regen goes through the roof, and then in the late game let enemies waste their abilities on you, jump and run off so they will have accomplished nothing while you demolish their structures and minion waves.

Play Again is probably stronger but it doesn't have the wacky longboat music, so it's a real trade-off.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

look buddy i want to be a shittier illidan and you can't stop me

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Star posted:

The more I play the more skeptical I get towards icy veins’ builds. Most of the time they just feel off and sub-optimal.

The only important thing I think is to know which talent works well with which. For example, if you picked a talent that gives you a stun, another talent that raises your damage on stunned guys is going to be a good match. The talent trees feel more like they're made of segments like that that you can combine at will rather than single optimal full trees. I just use them when I'm starting out with a hero and then just pick whatever feels right to me.

Like, Icyveins doesn't recommend missile build for Liming anymore, but that's easily my favorite build because of the single target damage mechanic and the somewhat unreliable nature of the orb and the danger of the teleport build. Icyveins says you shouldn't pick tufferfish for murky, but sometimes you need a little bit of survivability on your fish if your enemies have too much AOE or something. For tracer it doesn't recommend the manual reload talent but that talent kicks rear end if you master it and lets you destroy everything.

There's probably statistically optimal builds for high level competitive play but who cares unless you're doing that.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Grubby keeps his builds here and his tierlist here. They're a good starting place but its important to remember that he's operating from a solo queue ranked perspective for most of them.

Ultimately, talent builds are a bit like drafting. It just takes time and practice to figure out what's best.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

How do you folks feel about Genji's level 16? Final Cut (extra damage after 1 sec) vs Steady Blade (bonus 20% per E hit).

I usually just do final cut for the extra wave clear, and it seems like it does more damage to heroes anyway? Like I get a lot of kills when the 2nd swipe kicks in. Ol Grubby says Steady Blade though.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Kai Tave posted:

He seems to be able to move in a straight line tho which is a massive oversight IMO.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Bogart posted:

High king's quest, Warbringer, Second Wind, Csmash.

R. E. Q. E. Will delete basically anyone from the map unless they're a tank. If they're not a tank they're usually dead before the second E.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

1stGear posted:

Grubby keeps his builds here and his tierlist here. They're a good starting place but its important to remember that he's operating from a solo queue ranked perspective for most of them.

Ultimately, talent builds are a bit like drafting. It just takes time and practice to figure out what's best.

I'd be curious about the reasonings behind some of those picks in the tierlist. I mean, Zuljin and Murky in the poo poo tier? -scoffs arrogantly-

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Charles Bukowski posted:

I'd be curious about the reasonings behind some of those picks in the tierlist. I mean, Zuljin and Murky in the poo poo tier? -scoffs arrogantly-
The only heroes to not get picked at HGC this season are Murky, Nazeebo, Raynor, Rexxar, the Butcher, and Zuljin. Zuljin's an immobile AA assassin who is just outclassed by other assassins.

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

I’m probably the ten-thousandth person to make a Vol’jin support hero concept, but by god am I going to make it work anyway. The only thing I’m stuck on is Hex; is there a way to differentiate it from Brightwing’ Polymorph? Maybe make it a skillshot CC like Ana or Tyrande, or convert it mechanically into a stun instead of a polymorph? Or should I even care that there’s some overlap between support abilities?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Kurieg posted:

R. E. Q. E. Will delete basically anyone from the map unless they're a tank. If they're not a tank they're usually dead before the second E.

Taking the parry talents gives you waaaay more damage if you're going smash.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kurieg posted:

Taking Warbringer means not taking Shield Wall though, and even on Smash Varian that's a pretty big sacrifice.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Gobbeldygook posted:

The only heroes to not get picked at HGC this season are Murky, Nazeebo, Raynor, Rexxar, the Butcher, and Zuljin. Zuljin's an immobile AA assassin who is just outclassed by other assassins.

Hmm. Well I think Zul'jin is fun as heck. Poop on what's optimal and pro tier. Hell I wrecked poo poo earlier as Nazeebo with a good coordinated team, lots of poison and I even got MVP.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Nazeebo has a very high win rate in everything below master because he's a super lategame hero and people aren't aggressive enough to end the game before he becomes a god, it's fine to play him.

You'll notice the same applies to most of those heroes to some degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich

bamhand posted:

Taking the parry talents gives you waaaay more damage if you're going smash.

Varian auto attack with smash at level 10 with High King's Quest complete does 603 damage. With W build it does 256. Overpower level 1 gives you a 20% bonus if you are attacked but that is nowhere near that difference. Doing a smash combo with 2 auto attacks does 1882 damage (R auto Q E auto) with W build and 2513 with High Kings Quest complete. Even if you had a Tracer steady feeding you auto attacks I'm pretty sure W build doesn't do more damage.