Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Mukip posted:

Whfb elves can die of old age, although given the violence of the setting that's probably a remarkable outcome for dark elves especially.

Morathi was older than basically any living thing other than a Slann or a god (and she's still kicked around longer than some gods) and even her lovely son is ancient compared to most of the other characters. So sufficiently ruthless Dark Elves are functionally immortal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

You guys clearly what happens is that the Noble just walks into the orc camp, struts up to Grimgor and goes "Dance off, bro. You and me."

And then proceeds to loving destroy him.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Acute Grill posted:

Morathi was older than basically any living thing other than a Slann or a god (and she's still kicked around longer than some gods) and even her lovely son is ancient compared to most of the other characters. So sufficiently ruthless Dark Elves are functionally immortal.

I prefer that dark elves and high elves are old enough to just be elves that started to join gangs.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ZeusJupitar posted:

Influence is a measure of your clout in the Phoenix King's court. When you spend it on other factions you're using his spy/diplomatic network. When you use it to recruit you're using your connections to get the best people. Tyrion and Teclis are on paper just a general and university chancellor, not the faction leaders.

Well Tyrion is more like if George Washington’s kid was chairman of the joint chiefs or something. And also banging Melania Trump.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm imagining an elf strolling into a hole in the ground and just shmoozing the hell out of some rats.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Nobles clearly have elf video cameras, and record themselves doing pranks or delivering sick burns, then upload the result to elf Youtube with titles like "Elf totally destroys Grimgor!"

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If I pick Kroq-gar, is the only way to recruit a Slann Mage-Priest lord via that rite?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Reik posted:

If I pick Kroq-gar, is the only way to recruit a Slann Mage-Priest lord via that rite?

Yeah, its the only way to recruit one even as Mazdamundi.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

jokes posted:

I'm imagining an elf strolling into a hole in the ground and just shmoozing the hell out of some rats.

That guy is Tyrion's college buddy who burned out. He's the noble you call when couple eight balls of Skavenblight Green might get the gears greased.

Is there a reason to get a generic slaan? I don't think I've ever seen a player use one.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That guy is Tyrion's college buddy who burned out. He's the noble you call when couple eight balls of Skavenblight Green might get the gears greased.

Is there a reason to get a generic slaan? I don't think I've ever seen a player use one.

They're your only source of High Magic and Light Magic since Mazdamundi gets his own special bespoke spell list? In MP they also have access to some items Mazda doesn't get and are slightly cheaper.

Plus Scar-Veterans are almost as good as Old Bloods and still get Carnosaurs.

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 16, 2018

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Finally gotten a secure-ish foothold in the Southern Realms as Belegar; I'm still only making enough cash to fund his army, but Skavenblight got wiped by Tilea and I'm finally stamped out Skarsnik for good. The vassal Border Princes are a thin line separating me and the Bloody Handz/Greenskins power bloc holding the rest of the area (I kept their capital for a port plus easy garrison), with Karak Hirn only having their capital left. Now it's down to me being able to crush every army the Orcs send at Belegar decisively enough that I can grab some more regions and sue for peace afterwards, then I can bring up a second army to finally turn the tide.

Apart from his ghost dads, my favorite thing about the mod mix I'm using is that it gives Belegar's army the potential to be the perfect counter to Greenskins through unique skills: at max level, he gives a hilariously massive charge bonus of 30 plus 10% to his entire army (including ranged units), a 10% weapon damage bonus against Greenskins (plus 20% to great weapon users period), a +9 melee attack bonus against Greenskins, and a stupidly-high chance to intercept Underway incursions. Not only can I outgun any Greenskin army, I can countercharge their bloodied ranks for a near-instant rout. It's pretty amazing, and is one of the biggest reasons why I've managed to hold out against the near-endless waves of Greenskins being thrown at me in this campaign.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Zore posted:

They're your only source of High Magic and Light Magic since Mazdamundi gets his own special bespoke spell list? In MP they also have access to some items Mazda doesn't get and are slightly cheaper.

Plus Scar-Veterans are almost as good as Old Bloods and still get Carnosaurs.

I usually prefer heavens. What situations do you prefer high magic in or do you like it more than heavens in general?

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?
So how do I fight wood elves as Bretonnia in the campaign?

I had a stack of 5 infantry units with shields, 3 cavalry, 4 archers (3 with poison), 4 pegasus knights, 3 knights errand.

I can get the pegasus knights into the wood elves archers, but that is apparently an even fight where the pegasus knights are barely ahead. And the remaining archers are peppering me, so the four pegasus knights are unable to clear the archer line, even with assistance from the knights errand.

I can get some pretty good surrounds on wood elf infantry, but even in 2vs1, one infantry and and cavalry charging into the enemy from behind, I'm barely ahead due to the 30% physical resist.

Any other fights I'm losing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wood elfs are basically the best army in the game, and Bretonnians are basically the worst. Thankfully the wood elfs don't try to conquer the world much. Your cavalry is, honestly, not that great. Wild Riders will beat most of your knights (especially on VH), and their archers will help. Your infantry will lose, but you should be used to that. Your peasant archers will rout after 1-2 volleys against the wood elfs because wood elf ranged units aren't actually archers but are instead artillery.

The only winning strategy against the elfs is to bring 2+ armies for every 1 army the wood elfs have. Yes, this means probably 4 armies for a wood elf city with an army inside it. AR will still favor the elf. You need to slog it out manually. Or bring an extra army or two to hopefully tip the AR. This is also what you generally need to do as Bretonnia anyways.

Wood elfs are the worst.

e: I've had some success with 2 armies able to stand toe-to-toe with 2 wood elfs. One of the armies needs to be only cavalry, and the other needs to be a fuckton of shielded dudes, maybe peasants, with a LOT of leadership buffs. You still need to be clever with your cavalry, and it's a lot of work, but you just need to keep the Eternal Guard really far from your horsies and also they need to not rout for a good long time while you cycle charge archers because that's what you need to do to win as Bretonnia against the Elf.

jokes fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 16, 2018

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Lots of Trebuchets don't hurt, either.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Brets don't really stand up well against welves until they're rocking Royal Pegs/Hippogriffs and some Grail Knights. Also, depending on what units the welves are fielding, fire arrows may be a better call than pox.

With that composition you've got, assuming the generic cavalry you mentioned are mounted yeomen who I've found to be functionally useless honestly, if the welves equal you in numbers any win you pull off is going to be super pyrrhic. Basically, do what you're doing with the pegs (although try to spread them out so that all the welf archers are forced to engage, if you can) and then loop your Knights Errant in to actually break them, because the pegs can't do it by themselves and you're going to lose the infantry fight no matter what you do so you need the archers out of the picture in order to give your cav breathing room for charges.

Use your archers to draw the welf infantry into a fight, then shoot at whatever is a nice target. Fix them with your infantry, bearing in mind they're going to get slaughtered, then start cycle charging with your yeomen or whatever they are. This is gonna be a nasty fight, and you're likely not going to win it, the objective is just to buy time for your Pegs and Errants.

If they have Wild Riders, do your best to put some fire on them with your archers after they draw the infantry in, but be aware that those guys are going to account for like half the welves total kills.

The real answer is to not fight this battle, for the record

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it is very Warhammer that the shirtless dudes with scary masks and magical tattoos riding deer are some of the most vicious cavalry in the whole game

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

How good should they be lorewise? Were they regarded as nasty?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Everyone in lore is the most bad rear end of bad assery with names like sword mic sword face

The lore is propaganda to sell toys

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Third World Reggin posted:

Everyone in lore is the most bad rear end of bad assery with names like sword mic sword face

Even in lore terms they are the most best and cool of the elves that are not best and cool enough to have names.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
A moose is a bull that nature decided needed another meter of range and leverage on all of it's stompy and gore-y bits, the treehugger clinging on to it's back is a secondary concern at best.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

How good should they be lorewise? Were they regarded as nasty?

Third World Reggin posted:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Asehujiko posted:

A moose is a bull that nature decided needed another meter of range and leverage on all of it's stompy and gore-y bits, the treehugger clinging on to it's back is a secondary concern at best.

Yeah meese are pretty badass (and also jerks)

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

turn off the TV posted:

Probably the Dark Lands, which are a mostly lifeless expanse where sunlight is blocked by ash plumes. It's populated mostly by Orcs, Chaos Dwarfs, and Tretch's skaven clan. Grimgor and Tretch are canonically based out of the Darklands, and it would include Nagash's sperg fortress if he's added to the game. It also has the Warhammer equivalent of the silk road running through it.

How does that work

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Mans posted:

How does that work

Like our silk road except swap out the regular human caravan guards with hungry mercenary ogres.

Warhammer's logic hole filler/"a wizard did it" is usually ogres... or a wizard did in fact do it :v:

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Mans posted:

How does that work

Enormous convoys guarded by human and ogre mercenaries, going back and forth between the Empire and Cathay.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Like our silk road except swap out the regular human caravan guards with hungry mercenary ogres.

Warhammer's logic hole filler/"a wizard did it" is usually ogres... or a wizard did in fact do it :v:

Or the Chaos Gods did it, or the Old Ones did it

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The exception is orcs

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Senor Dog posted:

I usually prefer heavens. What situations do you prefer high magic in or do you like it more than heavens in general?

High Magic has a heal and Tempest plus it procs all the basic lore side effects when you cast it. Its a solid lore overall.

I only really prefer heavens against factions with tons of lightly armored chaff units because lol wind blast is insane. High gives you even more longevity since it stacks a direct heal and a healing passive which makes your Saurs and Dinos completely immortal.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Blooming Brilliant posted:

A key difference is that the real silk road did not cross through Mordor.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

The real life silk road passes though Aleppo and Raqqa so Warhammer has been vindicated by history on that count.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

turn off the TV posted:

Please, warhammer traders wish that the silk road was as lifeless as Mordor.

There would definitely be fewer marauding bands of greenskins, ogres and chaos dwarves if that were the case. :v:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Slaan are pretty solid, in campaign they use a mix of High/Light/Heaven spells that includes some very good spells like Tempest and Wind Blast. They also get most of Mazdamundi's spell tree so they end up with a whole bunch of winds, free banishments and Regen, ect. IIRC they're also unique in that they start out able to cast every spell they know even before putting points into it.

My only real gripe with them is that Lizardmen have a bunch of +lord level buildings and crap that mostly doesn't stack, so leveling them up is kinda painful.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Is it usually worth it to settle in a bad climate location? The high elves in the southeast are starting to be dicks in my Kroq'gar game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Reik posted:

Is it usually worth it to settle in a bad climate location? The high elves in the southeast are starting to be dicks in my Kroq'gar game.
For the AI? Yeah, absolutely. For you, its a pain in the rear end unless you really want some factionwide bonuses from the place. I'd just raze his poo poo.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Pigeon Plucker Pendant? Get the hell out of here with that umgak garbage and make your own dawi-forged items: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1333020820

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Reik posted:

Only worth it when there's something you absolutely need in the region, like Lothern taking Nagarythe for the ritual building in Vortex. The penalties just stack up too hard to be worth the investment as a military Outpost or economic province. Just sack and torch the cities.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

Pigeon Plucker Pendant? Get the hell out of here with that umgak garbage and make your own dawi-forged items: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1333020820

Yes! Hah hah hah!

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

Psycho Landlord posted:

Brets don't really stand up well against welves until they're rocking Royal Pegs/Hippogriffs and some Grail Knights. Also, depending on what units the welves are fielding, fire arrows may be a better call than pox.

With that composition you've got, assuming the generic cavalry you mentioned are mounted yeomen who I've found to be functionally useless honestly, if the welves equal you in numbers any win you pull off is going to be super pyrrhic. Basically, do what you're doing with the pegs (although try to spread them out so that all the welf archers are forced to engage, if you can) and then loop your Knights Errant in to actually break them, because the pegs can't do it by themselves and you're going to lose the infantry fight no matter what you do so you need the archers out of the picture in order to give your cav breathing room for charges.

Use your archers to draw the welf infantry into a fight, then shoot at whatever is a nice target. Fix them with your infantry, bearing in mind they're going to get slaughtered, then start cycle charging with your yeomen or whatever they are. This is gonna be a nasty fight, and you're likely not going to win it, the objective is just to buy time for your Pegs and Errants.

If they have Wild Riders, do your best to put some fire on them with your archers after they draw the infantry in, but be aware that those guys are going to account for like half the welves total kills.

The real answer is to not fight this battle, for the record

Yup.

I retreated and got into a better fight, 2 vs 2, but with my highest ranket lords and heroes and a pretty advanced army. Cavalry is knights errand+ and 4 pegasus knights, with decent lord bonuses. I think I actually maxed out all cavalry bonuses with the Fay enchantress, who was one of the lors in the battle. Still way behind.

On average wood elf archers beat my pegasus knights and cavalry. So if i charge my cavalry 1vs1 vs wood elf archers I'm losing. So I have to setup 2vs1 in the backline and might still lose due to crossfire. Also losing the frontline as my infantry is pretty weak. I can get some pretty amazing kills with wind blast from my maiden, but it doesn't really make a dent.

I did some similar fights with skarsnik. But that was way easier as nasty skulkers and night goblins are quite strong with a night goblin warboss, so I could actually kill stuff when I got a surround.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Pegasus Knights are not at all designed to beat blocks of units. They're monster and cav killers. You should go get Questing Knights ASAP. They're just generally amazing.

Additionally, I have pretty good success with battle pilgrims on the front line. They die a lot but have shields, basically never rout, and do pretty good damage.