Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
This popped up in my google feed:

https://www.thestar.com/amp/news/in...ge-journey.html

Light on discriminatory claims. Heavy on wacky wacky quotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Reince Penis posted:

JJ McCullough has some garbage piece in the Washington Post today called 'I'm Canadian and Trump is right about trade'

I didn't read it and I'm not linking it but I am going to cancel my online subscription I'm not paying for this poo poo

Sounds like this dude is into findom

Lightning Lord has issued a correction as of 23:13 on Mar 16, 2018

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Step 1- Aggressively maintain the status quo and find efficiencies.

Step 2- Jobs will start pouring once they take anal sex out of the curriculum.

Step 3- Reopening the abortion debate will stimulate the economy.

Edit: What would be steps 4 and 5?

Strip mine downtown Toronto, fill all subways with concrete

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Bring back the citizenship stripping legislation but only for JJ, Jordan Peterson and Gavin mcinnes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
barbaric cultural practices

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

infernal machines posted:

barbaric cultural practices

you mean the keg?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
So apparently Trudeau got the Trans Pacific Partnership renamed the Comprehensive and Progressive Trade-Pacific Partnership Agreement

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Well at least their brand game is on fleek

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Helsing posted:

So apparently Trudeau got the Trans Pacific Partnership renamed the Comprehensive and Progressive Trade-Pacific Partnership Agreement

but is it inclusive?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Trans Pacific Intersectionality and Trade Partnership

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Helsing posted:

I hate him so much

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

red text on a blue background can go gently caress itself

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well that's good news, NDP owns this province, by area

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

new phone, who dat?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

a card carrying commie :canada:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

vyelkin posted:

Strip mine downtown Toronto, fill all subways with concrete

They are already doing that along Eglinton, I'm pretty sure.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Bathurst is down to one lane through Eglinton for an authentic 1890s feel

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So, the Globe and Mail today has results from a nearly annual survey on Canadian attitudes regarding immigration, with some long term response history shown.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-canadian-attitudes-toward-immigrants-refugees-remain-positive-study/

I can't copy the graph right now, but what happened to totally flip the "Yay, immigrants" result starting in 1997ish?

Aftermath of Quebec referendum, rise of Reform, whose leadership tried really hard to purge the racists... The Hong Kong handover? The Lewinsky scandal? People getting on the internet en masse and actually interacting with the dread foreigner?

Immigration levels too high:
Yes, by year:
1977 to 1997: consistently 60-70%
1998: 54%
2000: 45%
2002: 44%
2003: 38%
2005: 33%
(30s since, currently 35%)

In other results, that photo of the drowned Syrian boy briefly made refugee claimants "legitimate" everywhere but Alberta, however nationwide support for that notion is possibly dropping again.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I would honestly say it's probably the result of us having opened up our immigration a lot in the 70s. A few decades later and something like 40% of Canadians are either first- or second-generation immigrants, which means not just that somewhere around 2 in 5 people have personal experience with immigration and are therefore more likely to see it as a positive, but also that many other Canadians are interacting with immigrants and children of immigrants on a daily basis.

I'm not going to be bothered to go look up stats about this but I seem to recall that it's people with the least exposure to people of other races, immigrants, etc., that have shown the highest degree of fear and anxiety over interacting with them in recent electoral surveys: parts of Britain with the fewest EU migrants were most in favour of Brexit, parts of the US that are the most homogeneously white are the most against immigration, and so on. The shift in the 90s, I would argue, is probably a generational one where two decades of forcing Canadians to interact with immigrants, combined with older Canadians dying and younger ones being increasingly of recent immigrant heritage, has led to a higher acceptance of immigration. I don't think you can trace it to a single triggering event in the 90s so much as a long-term shift that hit a tipping point around then because ~25 years of higher and more diverse immigration is roughly the period of time it takes to raise a new generation that's more accepting of immigrants because they're immigrants or children of immigrants or grew up alongside immigrants.

e: that being said there is a pretty precipitous drop from 67% in 97 to 54% in 98 to 45% in 2000, so who knows. I'm more impressed that it didn't shoot back up again after 9/11

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

James Baud posted:

So, the Globe and Mail today has results from a nearly annual survey on Canadian attitudes regarding immigration, with some long term response history shown.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-canadian-attitudes-toward-immigrants-refugees-remain-positive-study/

I can't copy the graph right now, but what happened to totally flip the "Yay, immigrants" result starting in 1997ish?

Aftermath of Quebec referendum, rise of Reform, whose leadership tried really hard to purge the racists... The Hong Kong handover? The Lewinsky scandal? People getting on the internet en masse and actually interacting with the dread foreigner?

Immigration levels too high:
Yes, by year:
1977 to 1997: consistently 60-70%
1998: 54%
2000: 45%
2002: 44%
2003: 38%
2005: 33%
(30s since, currently 35%)

In other results, that photo of the drowned Syrian boy briefly made refugee claimants "legitimate" everywhere but Alberta, however nationwide support for that notion is possibly dropping again.

I thought the gap would have tightened up in the last few years due to the massive upsurge of anti-immigrant and anti-muslim propaganda across the Western world, combined with reports of terrorist attacks in Europe. Surprising.

Also, hats off to Alberta for somehow being more racist than Quebec.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

James Baud posted:

But look what immigrants from Ontario are already doing to our beautiful province.

Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

I think so long as immigrants continue to be unpopular in Alberta and Quebec they will remain popular in the rest of Canada

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

pfizerman posted:

I think so long as immigrants continue to be unpopular in Alberta and Quebec they will remain popular in the rest of Canada

Immigrants are popular in Quebec? So popular in fact Quebec has it's own special accord with Canada to recruit or select it's own immigrants.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Quebec only takes the 'good kind' of immigrants i.e. those who speak French.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Reality Loser posted:

Quebec only takes the 'good kind' of immigrants i.e. those who speak French.

Explain this please.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

The other 'good kind' of immigrants, the Rich

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
daily reminder that this man wants to be premier of ontario

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

vyelkin posted:

wow, I had no idea that smoking an eight-ball of crack gives you mayor powers!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

vyelkin posted:

that's from a "parody" account, Doug Ford didn't actually tweet that

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Reince Penis posted:

Immigrants are popular in Quebec? So popular in fact Quebec has it's own special accord with Canada to recruit or select it's own immigrants.

Lol most immigrants are brown and Quebec haaaaaates brown people

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/we-were-in-shock-vegan-protesters-say-toronto-chef-carved-up-deer-leg-in-front-of-them-1.3862411

Lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Peter Munk died

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
good

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Now the Munk Debates can be renamed for a new living benefactor.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Here's some surface discussion with a bunch of deeper links on the numbers not really adding up for cheap universal daycare, based on Quebec data.

https://www.convivium.ca/articles/daycare-demands-diversity

quote:

I got interested in universal child care when Michael Baker came to Queen’s and presented his joint work with Kevin Milligan and Jon Gruber, which found that the Quebec childcare program, the access to universal, subsidized child care there, led to declines in a host of child developmental outcomes as well as family outcomes.

I’ll be quite honest: I didn’t believe the results. I thought they would come out the other way.

[...so he had a grad student try to replicate it and found a lot of success there ...]

The main result we found was that Baker, Gruber and Milligan’s work is 100 per cent correct. It’s robust. If anything, in our own work, including a paper that came out in Canadian Public Policy and won “best paper award” for that year, it actually finds the effects get larger over time, on average.

A lot of the critics say, “this is the effect of access to child care, it’s not really the effect of child care itself.” We did some analysis that makes strong assumptions, and we find that the effects of attending childcare are also negative.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Federal government reacts to Jordan decision, but includes a total overreaction to one trial that would've had the same verdict without race being a "factor".

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberal-crime-justice-reform-1.4598480

quote:

The Liberal government tabled a major bill to reform Canada's criminal justice system today with measures designed to close gaps in the system and speed up court proceedings, including an end to preliminary inquiries except for the most serious crimes that carry a life sentence.

Changes also include an end to peremptory challenges in jury selection, which became a flashpoint during the trial of Gerald Stanley, who was found not guilty of second-degree murder in the death of 22-year-old Indigenous man Colten Boushie.

Some observers said the process was biased because the defence team excluded five potential jurors who appeared to be Indigenous. CBC News has not independently determined the reason for their exclusion.

Another proposed reform in the bill will put a reverse onus on bail for people who have a history of domestic abuse, which would require them to justify why they should be released after a charge.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm skeptical of any legislation that expands reverse onus conditions. It directly contradicts the idea of innocent until proven guilty, a cornerstone of our and most western legal systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

James Baud posted:

Here's some surface discussion with a bunch of deeper links on the numbers not really adding up for cheap universal daycare, based on Quebec data.

https://www.convivium.ca/articles/daycare-demands-diversity

Money aside, hopefully they do a better job than Quebec because

quote:

... We find that theQuebec policy had a lasting negative impact on the non-cognitive skills of exposed children. At older ages, program exposure is associated with worsened health and life satisfaction, and increased rates of criminal activity. Increases in aggression and hyperactivity are concentrated in boys, as is the rise in the crime rates. In contrast, we find no consistent impact on their cognitive skills.
http://faculty.arts.ubc.ca/kmilligan/research/papers/bgmr2v23.pdf