Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the end of the podcast is an obvious work

its really stupid and wont drum up any heat or interest, but its a work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I always wondered what people saw in Sami Callihan, so it feels oddly satisfying to see more people who also don't get him/dislike him.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
I knew about the newsletter, podcasts and board but not this

https://twitter.com/thecubsfan/status/974811408109056000

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
looks like u got scooped bro how come you didn't have the deets about the spicy wings

rovert more like, poo poo poster with no scoops.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wait why are people mad on twitter about New Japan Matches on TV? I am very confused. Or is this just "wrestling twitter is bad being the sole constant factor on this earth"

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Jerusalem posted:

I always wondered what people saw in Sami Callihan, so it feels oddly satisfying to see more people who also don't get him/dislike him.

:same: He's on my super short list of wrestlers where if they're in a match I just can't find a poo poo to give.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Sami was a lot more fun when we thought "being a gross rear end in a top hat" was his gimmick and not, like, who he really is

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Ive never had Publix wings but if their chicken tendy sandwich came with a subscription i would renew

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

algebra testes posted:

Wait why are people mad on twitter about New Japan Matches on TV? I am very confused. Or is this just "wrestling twitter is bad being the sole constant factor on this earth"

They are so used to the dynamic that a TV wrestling match is short and not that important that they can't comprehend anything else. Even if they've watched a ton of lucha or puro, the idea that in Mexico and Japan that big shows are routinely shown on TV, or in Japan's care cut up and shown on TV over multiple weeks doesn't count.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
oops

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MassRafTer posted:

They are so used to the dynamic that a TV wrestling match is short and not that important that they can't comprehend anything else. Even if they've watched a ton of lucha or puro, the idea that in Mexico and Japan that big shows are routinely shown on TV, or in Japan's care cut up and shown on TV over multiple weeks doesn't count.

the term "TV Match" has a specific meaning and connotation and you are being really pedantic if you just say "but it's literally a match on TV!"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
this is like saying Misawa was a great "TV match wrestler" because a shitload of puro house shows got broadcast on television

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

algebra testes posted:

It’s an incredibly minor semantic argument about one award that the wrestling mans readers vote on

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Oh no it’s infected the thread

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Here's a tv match: your face, and john cena vs shinsuke nakamura on smackdown last year

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Have we got to the point yet where people complain because they think Dave picked the winners personally?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
E: nm I think I got worked

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cavauro posted:

Here's a tv match: your face, and john cena vs shinsuke nakamura on smackdown last year

That was a cool match :)

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Jerusalem posted:

Have we got to the point yet where people complain because they think Dave picked the winners personally?

Check Dave's twitter, there's at least four or five that he's responded to

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Cena/Nakamura just being a rando smackdown tv match is criminal

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this is like saying Misawa was a great "TV match wrestler" because a shitload of puro house shows got broadcast on television

Ric Flair was a great TV match wrestler. Source: Clash of The Champions was a TV show.

Your definition of 'TV match' is ridiculously pedantic to the point of meaning "modern WWE A/B show TV match". 30 years ago a TV match was a squash match, or on something like Clash or SNME it was the same as a main event house show match. In Japan and Mexico the latter definition hasn't really changed. Hell, TNA and Lucha Underground regularly have their big blow off matches on TV now because they don't have/no one buys their PPVs.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 17, 2018

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the term "TV Match" has a specific meaning and connotation and you are being really pedantic if you just say "but it's literally a match on TV!"

It's a stupid term that exists only if you look at TV through the limited lens that the American wrestling model produced. People getting mad at Dave for saying NJPW puts out the best TV matches are stupid as hell. NJPW and AJPW tapes were so heavily traded because of the TV matches!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah it's almost like it's a term specifically used to talk about people who worked in American-based promotions with TV.

Like seriously it takes it's own set of skills to do entertaining matches with the limitations of it being a 10 minute studio show match (or a RAW match), and it's a useful term for people who put in good work under those limitations and weren't necessarily known for working US main event style matches.

When someone says Christian, Sheamus, or someone like that was a "good TV match wrestler" they aren't comparing that to house show matches broadcast in Japan, like, come on. It's specific to the US wrestling scene.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 17, 2018

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah it's almost like it's a term specifically used to talk about people who worked in American-based promotions with TV.

Like seriously it takes it's own set of skills to do entertaining matches with the limitations of it being a 10 minute studio show match, and it's a useful term for people who put in good work under those limitations and weren't necessarily known for working US main event style matches.

The idea of a TV match is ever evolving and context sensitive. It meant different things in the 70s, 80s and 90s and now today because TV matches in the US keep changing. When you hear a guy like Buddy Wayne talk about working a TV match the whole thing is so different to what a WWE TV match is today and his hey day was just 20 years ago.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MassRafTer posted:

The idea of a TV match is ever evolving and context sensitive. It meant different things in the 70s, 80s and 90s and now today because TV matches in the US keep changing. When you hear a guy like Buddy Wayne talk about working a TV match the whole thing is so different to what a WWE TV match is today and his hey day was just 20 years ago.

It is context sensitive but in almost every case where I've seen it brought up on wrestling boards it is specifically referring to people who were good at working entertaining matches in studio shows, or RAW/Nitro-like environments, especially midcarders who rarely got the chance to work US main event-style matches.

And yeah the standard of a RAW match is far better than it was even 10 years ago, but even now it's extremely rare to get an actual PPV-quality main on RAW.

Like the fact that it's specific is why it's a useful term, if it was just a broad-rear end term that included literally everything broadcast on TV anywhere, the term wouldn't actually mean anything.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I mean people who had to work shitloads of 10-15 minute matches was (and is) literally a thing that happened, I don't see what's wrong with trying to evaluate wrestlers who worked a huge part of their career with those specific limitations. I love Mike Enos because his offense kicks rear end but it doesn't make sense to judge his work out of the context of almost all of it being TV matches.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I mean people who had to work shitloads of 10-15 minute matches was (and is) literally a thing that happened, I don't see what's wrong with trying to evaluate wrestlers who worked a huge part of their career with those specific limitations. I love Mike Enos because his offense kicks rear end but it doesn't make sense to judge his work out of the context of almost all of it being TV matches.

Because studio matches were so very different from Raw/Nitro matches, hell even Raw and Nitro matches were very different. I almost never see someone called a good TV match wrestler compared to just a good worker. Very rarely do I hear wrestlers using that term vs a good worker. Even when they talk about American TV matches and guys being good at things it's usually in reference to specific kinds of matches since there was a good deal of variation on TV shows.

Edit: Ironically I see way more older wrestlers talk about great house show workers.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 17, 2018

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Can't wait for the Johnny Bravo breaking news audio

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

exploded mummy posted:

Can't wait for the Johnny Bravo breaking news audio

I want a Johnny Bravo Breaking News Audio with Bryan and Vinny.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Tits, Whips & Buff Match :hai:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
im amazed dave and bryan managed to get 20 minutes out of discussing the wet fart that is johnny bravo

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Raskolnikov38 posted:

im amazed dave and bryan managed to get 20 minutes out of discussing the wet fart that is johnny bravo

That's nothing, the forums got 2 weeks out of it!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Half of it was Dave mansplaining and I was ready to roll my eyes at him repeating "well if this isn't true, then the guys could definitely sue, although if it is true, that's a different story, you don't have grounds for a lawsuit if it's actually true" and then I remembered the caliber of some of the people who write in/tweet at Meltzer.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
God bless this WOR existing so I got me some UPW history.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

dsriggs posted:

Tits, Whips & Buff Match :hai:

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Sami Callihan chews tobacco so..

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

So do Ric Flair and Kurt Angle

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

its a cornfield thing, you wouldn't understand.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

a lot of wrestlers chew tobacco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Just reminding everyone that Wrestlesplania remains a good, depraved listen, and their latest episode with Stokely Hathaway is cool and fun. They're the yin to Meltzer's verbose yang.