Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

KillHour posted:

The software does work, you loving dolt. The software that is breaking is our old software that we are going to no longer support soon and the software that requires Windows 10 is our new software that we want people to migrate to. I need both to work at the same time so I can show the differences. Also, you should really consider what the value of having a job is. Because I think you just live to shitpost on the internet.

Also, one last time: I have a solution. I will use the version of Windows that doesn't force updates. If you don't like it, tough poo poo I don't give a gently caress.

You literally flip-flop between "the software works" and "the software is breaking" right next to each other, and then admit that you need all of the software to work for what you're doing and it doesn't work. This means your whole system is broken.

You don't have a solution. You just have broken software.

KillHour posted:

I did. I went back to an image 4 months old. Guess what? It wanted to update as soon as I connected it to the internet even though updates were disabled with GPO. The temporary fix was to block Microsoft's website and delete the files they snuck on there God knows how long ago. The long term solution will be to change the version of Windows I'm using to the long term support platform that doesn't have forced updates.

This sure reads as you being massively incompetent at imaging things. Also there is no version of Windows 10 that doesn't have "forced updates". LTS versions just mean changes occur less often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fishmech posted:

You literally flip-flop between "the software works" and "the software is breaking" right next to each other, and then admit that you need all of the software to work for what you're doing and it doesn't work. This means your whole system is broken.

You don't have a solution. You just have broken software.

We have multiple software packages and they work if you deploy them in a supported configuration. This is not a supported configuration (Windows 10 is not officially supported by one of the packages, but it's the only way to get them to 'work' side by side). I have to do things differently because of the constraints of a class or demo. This does not mean my whole system is broken, it means I have problems that I have to work around on occasion because the guys in R&D don't care if my job is miserable and don't want to spend time fixing things that will only ever happen in my special environment that no customer will ever have. But hey, you keep doing you fishmech.

fishmech posted:

This sure reads as you being massively incompetent at imaging things. Also there is no version of Windows 10 that doesn't have "forced updates". LTS versions just mean changes occur less often.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/uktechnet/2015/07/13/windows-10-licensing-logic/

quote:

PCs running life-dependent, highly secure or mission-critical systems, for example in a life-support centre or a military aerospace controller etc. have the option to deploy point-in-time releases known as Long Term Service Branch (LTSB). These will not be updated with new features but will have security and critical updates applied, although the organisation can manage and control the distribution of these updates. LTSB releases will be supported for at least 5 years (10 years if the customer has software assurance). New LTSB releases will be made available every two-three years and customers will have the option whether to install them or not.

Oh hey look you're wrong.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 16, 2018

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Edit: ^^^^^ You still probably want to get at least SOME help in streamlining your setup regardless if your dev team wants to help you or not. A simple hey it breaks X amount of times costing Y amount of lost sales, training time, etc. Please Fix.

General rule of thumb is try the get things right the first time around because chances are that's what's going to get pushed into production :shobon:

KillHour posted:

Edit: I deleted the part where I talked about the security patches because it was misleading. I installed some security patches on other VMs on the same server that were not the same as the VMs I don't want to update. That somehow caused the other VMs to update spontaneously. Yes, I tried reverting those to before the update as well - still happened. I think it's because they all use the same volume licensing and there's something with the license phone-home that tells the Microsoft servers "This machine should already be updated." :iiam:

Correlation is not Causation. It's just that the house of cards you(or your dev team or whoever) built finally decided to collapse on you. It sucks. You probably want to have a really good baseline snapshot(s) for all your VMs so that you can push button and bring it back to a usable/known working state. From all your descriptions it seems like you have a super kludgey frankenbuild of craziness going on. You'd probably want to push some of your findings up the stack or do your dev team so they can streamline/fix some of it so you're not left dangling in front of customers next time.

Stanley Pain fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 16, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

KillHour posted:

We have multiple software packages and they work if you deploy them in a supported configuration. This is not a supported configuration (Windows 10 is not officially supported by one of the packages, but it's the only way to get them to 'work' side by side). I have to do things differently because of the constraints of a class or demo. This does not mean my whole system is broken, it means I have problems that I have to work around on occasion because the guys in R&D don't care if my job is miserable and don't want to spend time fixing things that will only ever happen in my special environment that no customer will ever have. But hey, you keep doing you fishmech.

So you're mad that software which doesn't support your environment, doesn't support your environment, and this made you had a big whiny rant about how Windows 10 is evil. And once again, yes, it does mean your whole system was broken, because you were trying to run things side by side and couldn't, and can just barely make it work now through a bunch of hacky poo poo that will probably break once again.

That literally says they will be updated. Are you illiterate?

"Security and critical updates" are the things that broke your trash software setup.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

General rule of thumb is try the get things right the first time around because chances are that's what's going to get pushed into production :shobon:

Correlation is not Causation. It's just that the house of cards you(or your dev team or whoever) built finally decided to collapse on you. It sucks. You probably want to have a really good baseline snapshot(s) for all your VMs so that you can push button and bring it back to a usable/known working state. From all your descriptions it seems like you have a super kludgey frankenbuild of craziness going on. You'd probably want to push some of your findings up the stack or do your dev team so they can streamline/fix some of it so you're not left dangling in front of customers next time.

The problem is I do have a kludgey frankenbuild and that is literally never going to change. There is no appetite in the organization to put R&D effort into what I specifically need it for and when I asked if QA could test new releases on my environment I was explicitly told no. I'm responsible for making it work and I'm a one man show with no real time for anything except fixes when things come up. I'm sorry if you think that not enough thought was put into this, but that's where I am. I was given 2 weeks to build this thing from scratch before I had to use it for the first time and I've been slowly fixing things as I can. I really do have good backups of everything that I make before I change anything and multiple copies of those backups, but rolling back didn't work and I don't have time to figure out root cause or anything, I have class Monday. I got it working and that's all I really care about right now.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 16, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fishmech posted:

So you're mad that software which doesn't support your environment, doesn't support your environment, and this made you had a big whiny rant about how Windows 10 is evil. And once again, yes, it does mean your whole system was broken, because you were trying to run things side by side and couldn't, and can just barely make it work now through a bunch of hacky poo poo that will probably break once again.

That literally says they will be updated. Are you illiterate?

"Security and critical updates" are the things that broke your trash software setup.

No it loving wasn't, it was the Fall Creators Update which is EXPLICITLY not a security or critical update also you missed this part:

quote:

although the organisation can manage and control the distribution of these updates.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

KillHour posted:

No it loving wasn't, it was the Fall Creators Update which is EXPLICITLY not a security or critical update also you missed this part:

The Fall Creators Update, which broke your kludgey pile of poo poo software with the security updates in it. You've already established you don't know what you're doing, and it's nearly always cleaning up security issues which breaks old shoddy software.

They're talking about controlling actual adding in new features for what you can control and being able to delay security stuff. That means your shitball software will still break on it no matter how you scream about demanding the square peg in the round hole.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

KillHour, please find another job. You've been hung out to dry good and proper by your employer and you're tying yourself in knots trying to make a situation work that your support have point-blank refused to support you on. Find something, anything else, and walk the gently caress out while nuking everything you've put together for their benefit, because they clearly don't deserve your commitment.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

KillHour, please find another job. You've been hung out to dry good and proper by your employer and you're tying yourself in knots trying to make a situation work that your support have point-blank refused to support you on. Find something, anything else, and walk the gently caress out while nuking everything you've put together for their benefit, because they clearly don't deserve your commitment.

You should see my posts in the Business Travel thread if you want to see the true extent of my Stockholm Syndrome at this company. The truth is I stick around because the contacts I'm making here are some of the most important people in my industry. I have some irons in the fire but I'm not going to jump for the first thing that comes my way - I'm paid well enough that I can afford to wait for the right move. In the meantime, all i can do is try to keep poo poo running and spend all my money on good whisky.

A sincere thank you to everybody that offered advice. Yes, it's stupid that an OS update can brick our software and that QA somehow didn't find out about it until I told them. But at least I have a temporary fix and a more long-term solution I can pursue.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I can't help but agree with this, they are just leaving you alone in the cold here, if you aren't already start sending out those resumes.

Fake edit:

KillHour posted:

You should see my posts in the Business Travel thread if you want to see the true extent of my Stockholm Syndrome at this company. The truth is I stick around because the contacts I'm making here are some of the most important people in my industry. I have some irons in the fire but I'm not going to jump for the first thing that comes my way - I'm paid well enough that I can afford to wait for the right move. In the meantime, all i can do is try to keep poo poo running and spend all my money on good whisky.

A sincere thank you to everybody that offered advice. Yes, it's stupid that an OS update can brick our software and that QA somehow didn't find out about it until I told them. But at least I have a temporary fix and a more long-term solution I can pursue.

Are those connections really worth that much if they are with people who will just gently caress you over like this? It's your own life but I have to wonder. :sigh:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I can't help but agree with this, they are just leaving you alone in the cold here, if you aren't already start sending out those resumes.

Fake edit:

Are those connections really worth that much if they are with people who will just gently caress you over like this? It's your own life but I have to wonder. :sigh:

Not the people at my company, our customers. I stand in front of customers all day and they are all high-ups for some of the biggest companies and government agencies in the world. I can't name names, but the person who did this before me left for a contracting position through those same contacts and is making $350k / year. I have people regularly asking me if I'd be interested in working for them; I just haven't had the right opportunity come my way yet.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Kill Hour, there's a reason that 'fishmech' is a verb. You're being fishmeched. You have your fix, just get out of here.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
He was told what the fix was long ago, he just refuses to do it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xamphear posted:

Kill Hour, there's a reason that 'fishmech' is a verb. You're being fishmeched. You have your fix, just get out of here.
There is a reason fishmech is a verb, but this is not a case of that. fishmech is on the right side here.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

KillHour posted:

:aaaaa: This is sick if it works. Thank you.'

Edit: No, this just gives you easier access to the settings already available. It can stop security updates but can only defer upgrades.

Weird, the FCU does not run on mine. It should work.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

fishmech posted:

He was told what the fix was long ago, he just refuses to do it.

If you actually read KillHour's posts you would have noticed that he already implemented a fix, he's mentioned this multiple times, including in posts that you quoted.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
If the fix is LTSB, isn’t that a lot of work to clean install an OS, add LOB software, etc.?

Relative to the things that one has no time at all for already, as stated, that is.

“Go back and get it done right (paraphrased from several suggestions)” was pissed on pretty quick, but now a spin on that is suddenly one’s deus ex machina?

For “Just want a simple fix,” one sure wobbles real far back and forth on this.

Weird, man. Your lifestyle may be affecting one’s capability for rational though, I fear.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tapedump posted:

If the fix is LTSB, isn’t that a lot of work to clean install an OS, add LOB software, etc.?

Relative to the things that one has no time at all for already, as stated, that is.

“Go back and get it done right (paraphrased from several suggestions)” was pissed on pretty quick, but now a spin on that is suddenly one’s deus ex machina?

For “Just want a simple fix,” one sure wobbles real far back and forth on this.

Weird, man. Your lifestyle may be affecting one’s capability for rational though, I fear.

No it's actually pretty easy to start from a scratch OS because part of the demo/class is the installation. I just have to install a couple prerequisites (.net frameworks) and map the network share. All of the network stuff is handled by DHCP and DNS - the VMs register their host name with the DNS server. There's more to it than that, but not a lot and nothing particularly terrible. It's also just one master template that gets cloned 13 times so I'm not doing a lot of duplicate work. I just need to wait until the next time I have a week at home and spend a day or 2 on it and then another day to do a dry run and make sure everything still works and the problem doesn't come back. The problem isn't rolling back to a fresh VM, it's making sure the update doesn't happen during a class/demo because then I have to start from the beginning or load a preinstalled snapshot, which takes like an 30 mins to do on all 13 environments and makes me look unprepared. I'm not joking when I say I tried rolling back to earlier images. I even tried reinstalling a vanilla Windows 10 install from ISO and it still did the install when I left it overnight with updates disabled in GPO. :psyduck:

The other option is to use WSUS and put everything on a domain, which I realize is probably the better way to go but that would require changing a lot more stuff and would take me a good 2-3 weeks to figure everything out and run testing to make sure it all works. It also changes the flow of class because installing on a domain is a different process so there is documentation to rewrite and blah blah blah.... Then there's the additional management overhead of extra VMs and it's just more than I want to take on right now. I might be able to schedule something like that for 3-6 months from now (and probably will, I've been meaning to look into it), but it's not a quick fix for sure. As I said before, I was just looking for a hack to keep things stable until I could go back and do it 'right.' Even if/when I end up on a domain, I'll probably keep it on LTS because it's actually pretty important that things like the OS interface don't change since the class is supposed to stay the same for 2 years until it's refreshed.

I'm not against updates. I think it's a good thing that home machines update automatically so that Grandma doesn't have a machine full of spyware. I just need to be able to control when they happen because I don't have time to keep everything up to date and tested with the latest patches. Actually performing these things is a full time job; all the maintenance stuff I have to do is on top of that.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 17, 2018

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

wolrah posted:

There is a reason fishmech is a verb, but this is not a case of that. fishmech is on the right side here.
I think you will find that fishmech is always technically on the right side.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm pretty sure there is some room between "Microsoft shouldn't make it easy for users to disable updates" and "you are literally an antivaxxer if you want Windows not to restart for updates while you're demoing software."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Not that it matters, but I think I figured out why my VMs were updating even though I did properly roll back to a known clean image, updates disabled in GPO, with Microsoft's websites blocked. They were on the same network as my home workstation which has the update on it, and the "upload to other computers on your LAN with P2P" setting was enabled. :downs:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Nobody (well, only the fringiest of cases) would be trying to disable updates if there was literally any wiggle room between "tear out the update service with a crowbar/block its IPs at the firewall level" nuclear option type poo poo and "updates restart your computer at random without permission".

Windows 7 lets you be prompted to install and you can do it at a time that actually works. This was a pretty good setup.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

OS as a service is a stupid idea and in 2 years, MS will make us all buy a Windows subscription if we want network connectivity outside of the Windows app store just like the XBOX. And if you're on Windows 10 now, you literally will not have an option to avoid it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

mystes posted:

"you are literally an antivaxxer if you want Windows not to restart for updates while you're demoing software."
That wasn't the issue though.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Thought experiment: What if Microsoft started selling Windows as a service with a monthly fee, and gave a discount if your system is at the highest patch level. Would that be enough to convince people to keep up to date?

Let's assume for this scenario that such a move somehow doesn't cost them tons of customers or turn into a technical train-wreck.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Hungry Computer posted:

Thought experiment: What if Microsoft started selling Windows as a service with a monthly fee, and gave a discount if your system is at the highest patch level. Would that be enough to convince people to keep up to date?

Let's assume for this scenario that such a move somehow doesn't cost them tons of customers or turn into a technical train-wreck.

Nah, for maximum evil they make all updates micro-transactions that both auto download and automatically charge your credit card, however you can get the updates for free if you buy a 100 key enterprise pack.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

KillHour posted:

OS as a service is a stupid idea and in 2 years, MS will make us all buy a Windows subscription if we want network connectivity outside of the Windows app store just like the XBOX. And if you're on Windows 10 now, you literally will not have an option to avoid it.

That's not how any of the Xbox systems work in the first place.

Javid posted:

Nobody (well, only the fringiest of cases) would be trying to disable updates if there was literally any wiggle room between "tear out the update service with a crowbar/block its IPs at the firewall level" nuclear option type poo poo and "updates restart your computer at random without permission".

This is entirely false: shitloads of previous Windows systems were sitting around with updates disabled before, everyone knows this. That's the entire reason Microsoft finally did what they should have done a long time ago.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The problem is the major version upgrades never work consistently.

Of around 100 systems we have at work like 87 of them went from 1511 to 1709 without issue and the others had various weird issues ranging from broken Start menu/Settings to awful battery life to completely trashed user profiles

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Wouldn't it have been reasonable for MS to start by simply outright removing the "never" option that 7 and 8/8.1 had, instead of... well, what we've got now. If KillHour had the option of "download but let me choose when to install," the worst he'd have to deal with would be the nag notifications in the tray, which'd be pretty trivial compared to the shitshow he's been put through, and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

KillHour posted:

Eh, bullshit. People have been saying this since at least Windows XP and it ain’t happened yet. I’m sure Microsoft would love to see it, but even Redmond knows it would be an utter disaster for the company.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

OSes will become a service. That much is inevitable but I’m sure typical brick and mortar OSes will still exist.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

JnnyThndrs posted:

Eh, bullshit. People have been saying this since at least Windows XP and it ain’t happened yet. I’m sure Microsoft would love to see it, but even Redmond knows it would be an utter disaster for the company.

We just had 10 pages of argument over MS making windows a subscription service. It is one right now. No, you cannot opt out. Of course you like it, what kind of a degenerate low life pirate wouldn't like that.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I hope they do make it a full subscription service, and it totally fails.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 17, 2018

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

mystes posted:

I'm pretty sure there is some room between "Microsoft shouldn't make it easy for users to disable updates" and "you are literally an antivaxxer if you want Windows not to restart for updates while you're demoing software."

You would think that, wouldn't you.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Someone should tell Microsoft no means no.

KillHour I do sympathize with you cause I’ve been there before where I just needed poo poo to work right now but that job sounds horrible in so many ways. You’re essentially your own IT department, sales, research and development (of educational materials), and so on, and it doesn’t sound like the company values that at all because they don’t give you the support you need to improve. Plus all the traveling.

Seriously I would ask yourself if this is really worth the stress and associated health problems from stress and the loss of so much personal time. If you really do have contacts that have offered you a job I would seriously consider them with the #1 question being “is this less stressful.”

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 17, 2018

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Hungry Computer posted:

I don't mind patching my computer if the quality of the patches is good, since Windows 10 the quality of the stuff coming out of Redmond has taken a nosedive, making this the first OS since XP where I don't have Windows Update enabled.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

My favorite part of 10 is that it has no features to recommend it over 7, the only reason I upgraded is because MS isn't going to support 7 in the future. On top of that 10 has caused me more problems in a couple weeks than 7 did in years of use, almost every issue I encountered in 7 had a solution or workaround, in 10 the answer to problems is either nothing because there is no solution or that your problem is actually a "feature" that MS won't let you turn off. Going from 7 to 10 felt like going backwards. I'd especially like to thank MS for repeatedly installing a driver that caused PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSODs over the working and more recent driver I had installed, in conclusion: :vd: MS.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'd especially like to thank MS for repeatedly installing a driver that caused PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSODs over the working and more recent driver I had installed, in conclusion: :vd: MS.

I thank MS for forcing a broken audio driver on my old laptop so it has no sound output.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I don't mind patching my computer if the quality of the patches is good, since Windows 10 the quality of the stuff coming out of Redmond has taken a nosedive

I don't agree with your sentiment of having Windows Update turned off entirely but since they killed off their old Q/A process staff there has definitely been a decline in patch quality. I've had 2 different updates render one or more of my Windows machines unbootable and numerous rollbacks.

I finally gave up awhile ago and now the whole thing is imaged on an ESXi box. I just do snapshots once a day and if there's a problem I roll back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

The Gunslinger posted:

I don't agree with your sentiment of having Windows Update turned off entirely but since they killed off their old Q/A process staff there has definitely been a decline in patch quality. I've had 2 different updates render one or more of my Windows machines unbootable and numerous rollbacks.

I finally gave up awhile ago and now the whole thing is imaged on an ESXi box. I just do snapshots once a day and if there's a problem I roll back.

Me neither, but I don't run my box on ESXi, so I do a Macrium backup once in awhile and patch all the stuff. I don't want it rebooting when it thinks it needs to, leaving me with a backup from a couple of weeks/months old.

But that is soon to change, I have an installation running on KVM now, so with a little luck I won't need my bare metal installation anymore.