Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Eureka is still the best endgame content in current XIV

I say it for myself.

When SE is releasing new expert dungeons, new normal raids , I run them once, then I get bored. and I feel that I am forced to run them, to get the gears.

but Eureka is different, I've played it for 3days, non stop (4-5hours a day)

Eureka has many issues,
I don't like the zergfest very much, I don't like the 180mins time limit. I don't like the instance and the cross server thing.
because the NM zergfest and the fast leveling,(I am LV13now, have got my +2 weapon at lv10,I saw someone is already LV18), the content will be short lived

but as some one said, the other endgame contents in XIV are "dog poo poo",
Eureka is not good, but it's still better than the previous formula

Just give me more serious XI/XIV1.2x stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cythereal posted:

First trip into Antitower. Last boss... what the gently caress? Weirdest and creepiest boss yet in this game.

Cool dungeon visually, though. Reminds me a lot of Karazhan in WoW.

Ah! So YOU are Aurelia Velas!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Cythereal posted:

I don't care about the random yahoos standing around the Rising Stones because why would I? They contribute nothing I care about to the story, and they're not interesting or amusing. I don't like the story wasting my time with these guys when it could be focused on something interesting instead.

There is a metric butt-ton of incidental dialogue in the game. Every time you go to a quest marker and there's people to talk to that don't have a big 'interact with this to progress the quest' sign above their heads, you can talk to them and get a couple lines of dialogue. It's not important but it can help flesh out characters. When you progress the quest and they're still about, quite often their dialogue has changed too.

This is never more true than what happens in the Rising Stones.

Hoary Boulder and Coultinet are popular not only because of their bit part in the main story, but also because Hoary is also part of a silly little sitcom with his brother Ocher, Ocher's girlfriend Aenor and Aenor's friend Clemence. The gist was introduced in the incidental dialogue during the MSQ but it continued on up through Heavensward. All pretty much because of attention to detail.

Some of the best lines in the game are also in the tiny chatboxes that pop up from non-interactable NPC's when you get close to them.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Verranicus posted:

Content in 14 doesn’t have the staying power of 11. Due to linear progression once the new patch comes out the old content is all obsolete and there’s no reason to run it anymore other than glamour. Content only lasts about a month in ffxiv. This isn’t the case in ffxi, 12 years later and people are still doing dynamis (the first endgame content added).

I know that this is an OF post an all, but seriously is that supposed to be appealing? That sounds awful. I never want to play the same raid 12 years later.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah imagine if you actively needed to go back and play poo poo like Aurum Vale beyond being optional. This dude prob wishes for old poo poo remaining BiS or stuff like elemental resistances being important.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

That guy is an idiot anyway because FFXI obsoleted a shitload of content when it raised the level cap past 75 almost a decade ago. You can't even run the original dynamis anymore because they completely changed how the zones work.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

Yeah imagine if you actively needed to go back and play poo poo like Aurum Vale beyond being optional. This dude prob wishes for old poo poo remaining BiS or stuff like elemental resistances being important.

My wife and I were out to dinner last night with a couple we are close friends with. We ended up talking about FFXIV and WoW a bit (he still plays WoW casually and I'm trying to convince him to try FFXIV). When talking about how games have evolved over the years, the subject of nostalgia came up. We started recounting the bullshit we remembered from vanilla WoW.

Farming any fire resist gear we could get for Ragnaros (level 60 tier 1 raid boss). You would literally pick up any item you could wear if it had +fire resist, even if it had no other stats. Then you would take your raid to the level 60 Upper Blackrock Spire instance and take turns running your 40 raid members into this 8 man instance where a priest would mind control an enemy that could give a fire resist buff.

Farming Maraudon (level 40 dungeon) for nature resist gear for Huhuron (level 60 raid boss in the 3rd raid tier).

Spending equal time farming to the amount of time you had to raid.

God that poo poo was loving terrible. And people are begging for classic servers. It's like I mentioned before - people don't want an old game, they long for an old time. People don't really want "classic WoW", they want "2005 WoW." The latter can never exist again.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Eureka is already kind of sort of similar to the old school EverQuest raid experience of a giant mob beating on a giant bag of hp while healers frantically raise everybody who got killed by AoEs or random adds. Could use more Innoruuk casting reverse gravity and then death touching people as they fly through the air though, because at least that was a funny way to die.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I'm actually talking to someone in my FV deriding me for saying resistance gear is nothing but a pain and how damnit when be was a kid he loved grinding for lovely required gear and how WoW sucks because it is casualtized. I'm glad these people are the minority nowadays.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

My wife and I were out to dinner last night with a couple we are close friends with. We ended up talking about FFXIV and WoW a bit (he still plays WoW casually and I'm trying to convince him to try FFXIV). When talking about how games have evolved over the years, the subject of nostalgia came up. We started recounting the bullshit we remembered from vanilla WoW.

Farming any fire resist gear we could get for Ragnaros (level 60 tier 1 raid boss). You would literally pick up any item you could wear if it had +fire resist, even if it had no other stats. Then you would take your raid to the level 60 Upper Blackrock Spire instance and take turns running your 40 raid members into this 8 man instance where a priest would mind control an enemy that could give a fire resist buff.

Farming Maraudon (level 40 dungeon) for nature resist gear for Huhuron (level 60 raid boss in the 3rd raid tier).

Spending equal time farming to the amount of time you had to raid.

God that poo poo was loving terrible. And people are begging for classic servers. It's like I mentioned before - people don't want an old game, they long for an old time. People don't really want "classic WoW", they want "2005 WoW." The latter can never exist again.

I remember leveling blacksmithing/armoring or whatever it was to make cold resist gear for Sindragosa or whatever that dragon's name was. It was awful, but I was everybody's buddy because for the cost of mats I had everyone ready for it no problem. It was a community thing, and honestly without my friends it would have been 100% not worth it. You've got the right of this.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
my favorite part of ff11 was the part where the server forced random members of your party to have to leave and rejoin into a new instance so you couldn't even become friends with the people you just met.

yes, the utter lack of community was truly the most memorable part of mmos for me. thank you komoto for letting me experience this again.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I remember waking up at 3am to fish up Stonescale Eels in the rear end end of nowhere in Azshara because there wasn't any fishing pools yet, for loving flasks and potions.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
remember in vanilla wow when the raid boss would disappear because too many people were in the raid. haha, classic.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

My memories of vanilla WoW are mostly tediously farming harpies in Azshara and Feralas to get over the godawful 50-60 hump, getting to 60 as an Enhancement Shaman and becoming the equivalent of a leper in groups unless all I wanted to do was hit LHW over and over, and running UBRS for two hours, getting to Drakkisath, and not being able to kill him because our Hunter couldn't speak English and didn't know how to pull the adds away. Vanilla WoW was a big pile of horseshit that we all put up with because, much like its predecessors, there was nothing better than it at the time.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 16, 2018

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I miss the hell out of Phantasy Star Online. There's no way I'd put up with it and put the time in like I did back then, but I still remember hanging out in Ariel 2-7 with my clan, talking about the future and how psyched we were to fight beside and against each other in v2. There was a girl who I played with all the time who wanted to be a marine biologist so bad. I hope she made it :unsmith:

People don't get nostalgia is nice, but it's a drug that never replicates the experience and context of everything at that point in time.

Still, gently caress Sega for not giving us PSO2 :(

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

A. Beaverhausen posted:

People don't get nostalgia is nice, but it's a drug that never replicates the experience and context of everything at that point in time.

Still, gently caress Sega for not giving us PSO2 :(

Welcome to why dogshit like Ready Player One got popular. There is at least a translation patch thingy you can use for PSO2.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Could you imagine getting to Kefka savage and then realizing you actually need to go back to Aurum Vale to farm resistance gear. Except the instance is actually three times as long, and the boss drop tables are actually four times the size. Have fun!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/361932-Eureka-is-still-the-best-endgame-content-in-current-XIV

This thread is full of the most broke brained people that refuse to accept that FFXIV isn't and shouldn't be XI-2. If you've been following the OF long enough you may recognize the OP, ShanXiv. They had another account called WeiShan or something from 1.0 to just before Heavensward and all they did following 1.0's cancellation was complain that 2.0 wasn't as good. So for someone who considers the game dogshit they sure do play it a lot.

I just really really really hope SE doesn't listen to them because I don't loving want more XI style content. Bring settings, bosses and music over from XI, that's all.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

And Kefka is a 40 man raid boss, and only drops 2 pieces of loot on a loot table that has like 20 things, of which 4 are good

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Kefka has 0 mechanics and only sits there with an occasionally tank buster. The fight is over a hour long.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Someone says "CHeal rotations" and I start having Vietnam-style flashbacks.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Vermain posted:

Someone says "CHeal rotations" and I start having Vietnam-style flashbacks.

/sit off
/cast 3
/2 C-Heal {{{{ %T }}}} CLERIC02 YOU ARE NEXT!
/pause 22
/3 CLERIC02 CAST NOW!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I remember once, around the time my vanilla raiding guild was working on AQ40, we took a break one weekend and were able to field two 40 man groups for Molten Core. They were racing to see which would finish first and ended up finishing within five minutes of each other. The loot? Double transcendence. For both groups. That’s right, we had 80 people raiding and four pieces of priest loot dropped and that was it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm glad my old MMO memories are Japanese players joining my lobby, running to the bank, dropping a bunch of red boxes on the ground and using the translation system to tell me to take what I need.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I wish that they would put smaller group front lines into this game. Stuff other than the deathmatch style of The Feast. Some of my really fond memories are from when my guild would do beer and battlegrounds. We would get a full group for Arathi Basin and chain run it, getting progressively drunker as the night went on. I want an 8man Warsong Gulch or Arathi Basin style frontline.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ChaseSP posted:

Kefka has 0 mechanics and only sits there with an occasionally tank buster. The fight is over a hour long.

ffxii raid lookin good

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If you sign up for Frontlines now you'll just be thrown into an 8 man fight because no one plays it and after it queues for awhile it just says gently caress it and makes it 8v8v8

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

ffxii raid lookin good

A Paling rises around Trickster.
Trickster is immune to physical damage!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

kirbysuperstar posted:

A Paling rises around Trickster.
Trickster is immune to physical damage!

Well that's not so ba-
Gains Anti-Magick
Gains White Wind
Gains Attack Up
Gains Defense Up

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Does anyone else find it weird that the baggage on the T-Rex mount seems to have a shitload of effort put into it. Like far more than the rest of the mount itself

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Bolow posted:

Does anyone else find it weird that the baggage on the T-Rex mount seems to have a shitload of effort put into it. Like far more than the rest of the mount itself

Wasn't that a thing with the 1.0 version of the game? Like there were some ridiculously high poly count version of regular items? Maybe some of the old art is getting reused?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Zil posted:

Wasn't that a thing with the 1.0 version of the game? Like there were some ridiculously high poly count version of regular items?

The slide was that a flower pot/vase had the same level of polys and shader code as a PC model.

quote:

Maybe some of the old art is getting reused?

Uh, no, not like you're thinking.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Bolow posted:

I just got the Chocobo raincoat barding and one of the things that makes it so great is that it has backpack full of blue flowers for some reason. Like your bird has just been picking flowers or something.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Saint Freak posted:

If you sign up for Frontlines now you'll just be thrown into an 8 man fight because no one plays it and after it queues for awhile it just says gently caress it and makes it 8v8v8

Also at least half of every team is bots. It's infuriating.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
...ow

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cythereal posted:

Not gonna lie, I'd love to see FF14's take on Sin.

But you already cleared The Limitless Blue. :v:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Please don't tell me that's BiS.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Aenor and Clemence are sisters.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Spending a while 2+ hours on o8s and failing to make it yo enrage makes me wonder if I can even do this poo poo. Often end up dying from the first graven image often even using second wind. I have 42k hp and it keeps happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Aenor and Clemence are sisters.

Didn't stop the horny one from trying to rope her sis into an indecent act