Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Cynic Jester posted:

“... and there will be a fix included in our next update.”

Expected Q4 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

John F Bennett posted:

Expected Q4 2018

The next update will be the next expansion.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

John F Bennett posted:

Expected Q4 2018

For Windows. Q3 2019 for Mac and Linux.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

SA fixes Civilization. "AI is great now!" agrees all.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is there any way, without mods, to get to a point where you can simulate some kind of post-apocalyptic dark age? Maybe everyone nukes each other, loses all but two cities and is back to slingers and poo poo? My playtime is oscillating between Fallout 2 and this and I want to see them merged.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

There’s no tech regression and afaik wonders are untouchable, but yeah nukes pretty effectively kneecap a city.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I remember a Civ4 mod that has negative science on tiles with fallout, or something like that.

So if you got nuked a whole lot, you could fall back in tech. Losing the technological know-how to cleanup the fallout.

In the end, you become a fetus.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

John F Bennett posted:

I remember a Civ4 mod that has negative science on tiles with fallout, or something like that.

So if you got nuked a whole lot, you could fall back in tech. Losing the technological know-how to cleanup the fallout.

caveman 2 caveman

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

quote:

Update: Firaxis has confirmed that the spelling errors are a mistake.

Would you expect any other answer?

"Classic Firaxis self-sabotage... what that eagle-eyed shark found was one of the many reasons we've been seeing a therapist lately. We have no intentions to fix it at this time."

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is it safe to found a religion in another's holy city, after capturing it? Is this even a good idea? The idea is to be a cheap rear end and have only one less city to convert.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

John F Bennett posted:

Yes, but ++Faith as your unholy mutant citizens start to worship the mighty glow of Atom. Heh.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Just started a “true starting positions earth map” and selected random leaders. Wound up as Pericles with Alex one tile over. First then I took his settler with my warrior and he’s out of the game. This should be interesting!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serephina posted:

Is it safe to found a religion in another's holy city, after capturing it? Is this even a good idea? The idea is to be a cheap rear end and have only one less city to convert.

Holy cities stop being holy cities when they lose their religion, and don't regain the status for that religion even if you convert them back. I'm not sure if them losing their religion just requires converting it to another religion, or completely obliterating their religion from it with an inquisitor, though. Either way, founding your own religion there isn't necessary, but it is fun.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 17, 2018

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Update: using another dude's Holy city to found my own will not only flip the city itself, but also flipped half of the remaining old religion (conquered) cities to my new religion? (in addition to a few of my own founded cities across the continent).

I have no idea on the mechanics of that.

edit: vv Awesome, thanks. I didn't quite see the pattern, but that makes sense. There's a few niggly details here and there that I wish had more thorough explanations, this was just one of them I guess.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 17, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serephina posted:

Update: using another dude's Holy city to found my own will not only flip the city itself, but also flipped half of the remaining old religion (conquered) cities to my new religion? (in addition to a few of my own founded cities across the continent).

I have no idea on the mechanics of that.

When you found a religion, any city you own with a holy site gains your religion. If you conquered someone who's been spamming holy sites, then found your own religion, you're going to have a lot of cities with your religion right away.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

^^^ Is stuff like this documented in game? I never knew that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Some might be. Other stuff, not as far as I know. The Civilopedia is not great; it's lacking a lot of information on some game mechanics, and the tone is of the descriptive text is often misanthropic and overly negative in a way that doesn't really fit Civ. It's also not as funny as it thinks it is.

The holy site thing is useful, though. In one recent game I actually delayed founding my religion a few turns (since I was Arabia and got the last prophet anyway) so I could finish the holy site I had in progress and save myself the effort of converting that city too. Also helps you get your religion established if you founded it later and someone who got theirs early converted a huge chunk of your empire already and makes it so they can't immediately snuff you out.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 17, 2018

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
New PYDT game starting up! Pass is Civ 2 was the best Civ

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I never bothered using nukes, but the loving Romans were pissing me off, starting wars against me the whole game, so I nuked Rome. I absolutely love the animation for launching.

Oh it got everyone else after me, but so what? I probably had 10 armadas of Missile Crusiers out there.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Yup, that's exactly how its supposed to work.

John F Bennett posted:

But all my cities receive two units from the Venetian Arsenal?

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Maybe there's a typo in the code.

To my knowledge Venetian Arsenal works on all of your cities in the base game, and the wording suggests I think that's how it's supposed to work. I specifically changed it to only affect one city in Wondrous Wonders.

There is a bug with it though, I believe if you make a naval raider unit you get two extra units due to being classed as both a ranged naval unit and naval raider unit. I was able to fix this in my mod but I don't think it's fixed in the base game.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ibntumart posted:

New PYDT game starting up! Pass is Civ 2 was the best Civ

Ok fine, just because of the password though.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Since the update, I keep getting joint war declarations. It's really one after the other. The AI only receives single war declarations from other AI.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Joined that new game earlier as well. Which came with good timing because, just shy of four months later, Autumn Goon Game has ended with a religious victory by the glorious Gitarja, Exalted Goddess of the Three Worlds, of Indonesia. i.e. Me. 117 turns in, or not quite halfway to the turn limit at online speed. Good game to everyone else who played.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

Joined that new game earlier as well. Which came with good timing because, just shy of four months later, Autumn Goon Game has ended with a religious victory by the glorious Gitarja, Exalted Goddess of the Three Worlds, of Indonesia. i.e. Me. 117 turns in, or not quite halfway to the turn limit at online speed. Good game to everyone else who played.

Got any final screenshots? I’m wondering how the game that I left turned out.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

markus_cz posted:

Got any final screenshots? I’m wondering how the game that I left turned out.

I saved a backup of the turn, so I'll post some later.

This game is a good example of why you don't ignore religion though; among other factors in my victory, of the three other people who founded religions, two seem to have only built a single holy site each, and the fourth got killed early by a neighbor. When I actually pushed for a religious victory (which I wasn't actively going for until I noticed I already had converted 3/5 other civs), neither of the people with religions had the power to stop me. One I was admittedly in the middle of destroying militarily, but the other one I managed to convert in a matter of turns after sneaking some apostles, two with Proselytizer, nearby.

Even if you don't want a religious victory, going for a religion and keeping it reasonably strong is worth it, just so the above doesn't happen. Also, some beliefs are really, really good. Choral Music was really helpful to me that game; I outright ignored theater squares until my cities were so big I ran out of other districts to put in them (which was shortly before the game ended) because holy sites with that belief let me have good faith and culture output. It's excellent for anyone who isn't going for a tourism victory, particularly people who want to spam holy sites obviously but not bad even for those who don't.

(I say all this, but in another game I'm in only one person has founded a religion, and I don't think the rest of us even have any GPP yet, despite being 109 turns in. We should probably fix that before we give them the easiest victory ever.)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
You should blog your games, Roland, I reckon they'd be an interesting read.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Anecdata I know, but I'm playing a game with the "yeild" fix mod and on Emperor only Russia and Japan have religion (I'm on like T150, Standard size), while I'm competing hard in science with everyone else, and I'm seeing almost no missionary spam while seeing lots more army units out. Game is more difficult but less annoying, if that makes sense.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I'm noticing the same thing on my current game with the typo-fix mod. I'm able to create a world religion and everyone has a whole lot of non-religious units. I'm also constantly getting joint war declarations. It's very enjoyable.

I'm also playing on a huge TSL Earth and this is the very first time a new world civ (aztec) has discovered me in Europe, usually it's the other way around but they're more advanced than me in tech. I like it. They have so many caravels they could probably take over half of Europe if they really want because we're all still using galleys over here.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Seconded, Roland is a great player who's consistently leading, so it would be a learning experience. I'd love to read such an LP, though (but I know it's extremely time consuming). I'd be down for writing my own perspective too, so we could have an LP with several points of view like some of those Dominion ones.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I picked up the vanilla game on Steam in a recent sale. Probably wouldn't have bothered because I both love and hate Civ for all the reasons you can probably guess. But I'd recently tried the iOS version out of pure curiosity, and while $60 on iPad was bollocks, I got that craving again. $20 on Mac was much more doable so here I am.

Is there a good tl;dr guide on doing stuff in Civ 6 that isn't the size of a university course? I've been playing since Civ 2, but only ever finished a game (winning) in Civ 4, because usually by the point it gets to late game I've either obviously won, or it's a bunch of ever more tedious micromanagement. I was never one for perfect production lines and city min-maxing, I'm a "just want to move my units around and hit next turn" casual when it comes to this game.

I guess I'd just like a short list of tips of what to do/not do. Stuff like should I make a bunch of cities clustered together, or really space them out a bit more. Or space them out then fill in the gaps. For a goddamn game I've played for half my life off and on I'm still blundering around not really knowing how best to play, and never really being that super interested into playing it "perfectly" either as that seems super unfun.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I really believe this game lends itself very well to just doing what seems fun, especially if you're not a min-maxer. I don't think your enjoyment will benefit from studying in advance.

That being said, here's a tip : hold down ALT to rotate your view so you can look around your beautiful empire.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Parkingtigers posted:

I picked up the vanilla game on Steam in a recent sale. Probably wouldn't have bothered because I both love and hate Civ for all the reasons you can probably guess. But I'd recently tried the iOS version out of pure curiosity, and while $60 on iPad was bollocks, I got that craving again. $20 on Mac was much more doable so here I am.

Is there a good tl;dr guide on doing stuff in Civ 6 that isn't the size of a university course? I've been playing since Civ 2, but only ever finished a game (winning) in Civ 4, because usually by the point it gets to late game I've either obviously won, or it's a bunch of ever more tedious micromanagement. I was never one for perfect production lines and city min-maxing, I'm a "just want to move my units around and hit next turn" casual when it comes to this game.

I guess I'd just like a short list of tips of what to do/not do. Stuff like should I make a bunch of cities clustered together, or really space them out a bit more. Or space them out then fill in the gaps. For a goddamn game I've played for half my life off and on I'm still blundering around not really knowing how best to play, and never really being that super interested into playing it "perfectly" either as that seems super unfun.

You usually want to build cities moderately close. Most cities struggle to get beyond ~12 pop until the endgame, so it's pointless to perfectly space them out to have 36 tiles apiece (even accounting for tiles used up by districts/wonders.) Plus, districts benefit from being clustered together and that gets easier when your cities have some overlap. You may wind up having to crowd things a bit to accommodate things like fresh water etc. but that's ok.

You should settle and develop cities with an eye towards maximizing production because otherwise it will take forever to build anything. Hills are your friends; unlike previous Civ games hills are always superior to whatever their base terrain is, plus they can take mines which are very strong improvements.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Tip from a noob who's 3/4 through my second game, after my first was a disaster. The difference? Ignored food, Industry is King, and I made sure to rush Industrial sectors quick smart. Sometime around Medieval I snowballed out of the pack despite not really knowing what I was doing.

I suppose if you want to put some effort into it, be aware that industrial and entertainment (assuming you even make the latter) districts have higher tier buildings that affect cities within 6 hexes. But you can't stack them (anymore) so it's not sometime to min-max as you can kind of wing it after the fact.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I’m a big fan of your first three cities — including your cap — being 4 tiles away from each-other forming a triangle. Terrain matters (where da luxes at), but that’s the goal.

Make settlers as early as possible. I generally go some variation of scout scout warrior settler (buy worker) settler settler settler settler etc

DNK fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 19, 2018

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

John F Bennett posted:

I'm noticing the same thing on my current game with the typo-fix mod. I'm able to create a world religion and everyone has a whole lot of non-religious units. I'm also constantly getting joint war declarations. It's very enjoyable.

I'm also playing on a huge TSL Earth and this is the very first time a new world civ (aztec) has discovered me in Europe, usually it's the other way around but they're more advanced than me in tech. I like it. They have so many caravels they could probably take over half of Europe if they really want because we're all still using galleys over here.

Since installing the mod I've gone from handily winning Immortal to blowing three games in a row. It's a good way to find out how Bad At Civ you are :saddowns:

I did see a report that someone managed to get a ridiculously early religious victory because the AI just ignored religion completely. That still seems to be the exception rather than the norm, though; my games still always seem to have a couple civs seriously contesting religion, there are just fewer useless holy sites in everyone else's civ.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Straight White Shark posted:

Since installing the mod I've gone from handily winning Immortal to blowing three games in a row. It's a good way to find out how Bad At Civ you are :saddowns:

I did see a report that someone managed to get a ridiculously early religious victory because the AI just ignored religion completely. That still seems to be the exception rather than the norm, though; my games still always seem to have a couple civs seriously contesting religion, there are just fewer useless holy sites in everyone else's civ.

Presumably some the work they have done on the AI since release has been to compensate for this bug, so with the typo's corrected it's quite possible the AI is undervaluing faith.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

On a lower difficulty level, an experienced player like you should be able to kick the tires and still win regardless of optimization. You can't really do it "wrong." The main thing to do is to build some military units early in Civ VI, because the barbarians are interesting, sometimes a little too interesting.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

markus_cz posted:

Seconded, Roland is a great player who's consistently leading, so it would be a learning experience. I'd love to read such an LP, though (but I know it's extremely time consuming). I'd be down for writing my own perspective too, so we could have an LP with several points of view like some of those Dominion ones.

Thanks for the compliments, and yeah, I've considered it; I was actually saving all my turns for a couple of games last year and keeping notes in a text file for LP purposes, but it is a lot of work. I've done some LPs before (including a Dominions one actually), and I'd definitely want to be ready for it before starting another one. Going to give myself a little more time to get some things in order and to get used to R&F, and maybe for Firaxis to patch the game once or twice if we're lucky, then I'll think about starting something.

Parkingtigers posted:

City spacing, in the expansion it's a big deal due to the loyalty mechanic making settling closer to enemies and further from your own cities dangerous, but for the base game, it can vary. Some civs will want to be tightly-packed so they can put districts and improvements close together for adjacency bonuses, and some other things (like the Colosseum, one of the best early wonders if you can get multiple cities in range) have an area of effect that makes getting things closer to them appealing.

Other general tips, not in any particular order:
  • Expanding early and often is a good plan usually, particularly since happiness isn't global anymore so you have fewer reasons to not settle a lot of cities.
  • Getting two or three slingers early, and later upgrading them into archers (which is very cheap) is good too.
  • Settling by water, particularly fresh water, is important early for the extra housing. You'll really slow your city growth settling without it. Some improvements (every regular one except mines and quarries, as well as some unique ones) provide a bit of housing as well.
  • If you want to build wonders, you'll probably need to plan ahead, since they now take up a tile and have requirements on where they can be placed.
  • While food is important to get new cities off the ground, production is your most important yield and what you'll usually be trying to maximize, since housing being a hard-ish cap on population makes keeping up with rising production costs harder.
  • After you have them, commercial hubs or harbors (one or the other, usually not both) and industrial zones are pretty important to get in most cities. The former raise your trade route capacity when you build one in a city (only for the first one both in the same city doesn't get you a second trade route), while the second is the production district and, well, see the above tip. Even those the later buildings for the IZ have an AoE, it'll be a while before you get those, and also it's a district that is really easy to get good adjacency bonuses for, so building one in all your cities along with workshops, then building factories and power plants in the cities where the AoE will have the most effect (since they don't stack), is often still worth it. (Note: In the expansion, you need to build a market or lighthouse in your commercial hub or harbor for the trade route, it isn't given when you make the district anymore. But since you don't have the expansion yet, don't worry about that.)
  • Continuing the theme of production being really good, internal trade routes are, at least early, generally better than external ones, since they give food and production, as well as make roads between your cities. You can jump-start a new/lovely city by making some trade routes from it to better cities in your empire; among other things, this is a good way to get Petra up in desert cities that are otherwise useless. External trade routes have their places too though, such as making roads to enemies you want to attack or bringing in lots of gold.
  • Don't forget about entertainment complexes; while early on you probably won't need them unless you're going for the Colosseum, later, when your cities are big, you'll need amenities and they're a good source of them, but they're a district that's very easy to forget.
  • Harbors make it so you don't have to settle on the coast to make ships now, since naval units you build will appear in the harbor instead of the city center. Given how fast naval units can gently caress up a coastal city if unopposed, this can be useful to take advantage of.

Could go more in-depth probably, but, you did ask for tips, so just tried to give some things that are worth keeping in mind. If you're playing against the AI you can generally afford to play around, but having production-poor cities that take forever to make anything sucks no matter how casually you're playing, so I felt like that was worth emphasizing.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 19, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I played some hotseat last week as Germany I managed to put three hanse around my government district so they ended up at +5 or +6 adjacency bonus. Then there was the policy which doubles that. Mildly broken.

My starting build order is to go slinger, builder and then possibly a second slinger. Considering you can't stop barb scouts from triggering camps and the AI loves to "surprise" war you early it works out decently. Granted I'm by no means a skilled player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Thanks for all the tips, I've read them all and done my best to absorb what's new about Civ6 compared to previous games. It all helps because one of the things I find most daunting about this series is the sheer amount of options when starting a new game. World type, map size, difficulty levels, Jesus there are just so many variables. I feel like I could play for a hundred hours just to figure out a comfortable set of options for my ability level and play style. Good to know that winging it is pretty viable, because that's very much what I have and always will do.