Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

Broken Record Talk posted:

Yeah, but you play them using II Legion rules :colbert:

The Rainbow Warriors. +1 to saving rolls vs Rad Weapons. Additional -1 hull point loss whenever a friendly vehicle sustains damage. Reperations: "After game is over and the winner is resolved +1VP for every vehicle lost."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Thanks for the av honey

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Currently number 9 on the NoVA Zone Mortalis waiting list. Pray for my Hams.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Don't let us down Hambrose. Goon speed.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
So, part of our plan to HH was getting a ZM board. Like, this was a major point of that. So, my friend ordered the 450 bongs to bundle to get the board in one fell swoop. This is what he received:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1SV3vNvhSHRWWyh30bnqudk5pVDvRREGl
When he complained, FW said that "fixing" with putty is routine quality assurance stuff and that most of the stuff withing acceptable band of what you can expect from resin. They can replace the kit, but we shouldn't expect an increase in quality (friend also found a Dakka thread from 2012 with the same complaints). Currently, he's asking for pick up and a refund - or getting a fresh new ZM board that hasn't been "fixed" in any way so that we (this includes poor old me) could patch it up ourselves.

Other options being considered: Mantic (unlikely), Corvus Games terrain, Hirst Arts, making a board from imperial ruins (if you haven't worked with GW building terrain before, the walls aren't solid - they come in many one-floor height bits that you can basically connect in any way you want, so there might be a possibility there).

So yeah, Zone Mortalis: good rules, perennially borked terrain.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
that's loving garbage

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Didn't know FW sold fine cast

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Use the bulkheads and tiles from the new Necromunda game and run it on the cheap

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

JcDent posted:

So, part of our plan to HH was getting a ZM board. Like, this was a major point of that. So, my friend ordered the 450 bongs to bundle to get the board in one fell swoop. This is what he received:
When he complained, FW said that "fixing" with putty is routine quality assurance stuff and that most of the stuff withing acceptable band of what you can expect from resin. They can replace the kit, but we shouldn't expect an increase in quality (friend also found a Dakka thread from 2012 with the same complaints). Currently, he's asking for pick up and a refund - or getting a fresh new ZM board that hasn't been "fixed" in any way so that we (this includes poor old me) could patch it up ourselves.

Other options being considered: Mantic (unlikely), Corvus Games terrain, Hirst Arts, making a board from imperial ruins (if you haven't worked with GW building terrain before, the walls aren't solid - they come in many one-floor height bits that you can basically connect in any way you want, so there might be a possibility there).

Maze of the Dead is a cost effective modular magnetic MDF option. I have one, it's the tits. Make sure you varnish it after painting tho.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

Use the bulkheads and tiles from the new Necromunda game and run it on the cheap

I'd do do it, I don't give a poo poo, but my friend is a little weird.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

I’ve been busy but I’ve made more progress with Dorn. I’ve not had time to model a dornstache :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

JcDent posted:

I'd do do it, I don't give a poo poo, but my friend is a little weird.

New thread title

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

krursk posted:

I’ve been busy but I’ve made more progress with Dorn. I’ve not had time to model a dornstache :(

:discourse:

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

JcDent posted:

I have a forgeworld ZM tileset. Yeah it’s a bit uneven and malcast but a half arsed paint job, copious quantities of typhus corrosion and blutac makes it ok. Considering that 90% of Hams use 3 unpainted imperial sector walls, a dirty tablecloth and a broken planetstrike crater, you’re not going to see too many complaint from me about bubbles, chunks and the odd gap.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Jesus gently caress. I've seen Micro Arts terrain that they sell to wargaming clubs at cost because it's too low-quality to trade and this poo poo looks 2-3x worse than the worst of those rejects.

Also, are those ZM tiles hardfoam or resin?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 18, 2018

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

krursk posted:

I have a forgeworld ZM tileset. Yeah it’s a bit uneven and malcast but a half arsed paint job, copious quantities of typhus corrosion and blutac makes it ok. Considering that 90% of Hams use 3 unpainted imperial sector walls, a dirty tablecloth and a broken planetstrike crater, you’re not going to see too many complaint from me about bubbles, chunks and the odd gap.

I think the big issue is that you're paying hundreds of dollars for something with major flaws. That would be unacceptable to me.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

krursk posted:

Its like $700 how is it remotely acceptable to have stuff missing and replaced by terribly sculpted greenstuff and weird gaps? Given that its big pieces of resin a little bit of warping and maybe a few tiny bubbles are acceptable, but holy poo poo those tiles are garbage.

Just because most hams have lovely terrain doesn't mean that FW can put out a product at that quality level.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Booley posted:

Its like $700 how is it remotely acceptable to have stuff missing and replaced by terribly sculpted greenstuff and weird gaps? Given that its big pieces of resin a little bit of warping and maybe a few tiny bubbles are acceptable, but holy poo poo those tiles are garbage.

Just because most hams have lovely terrain doesn't mean that FW can put out a product at that quality level.

I can understand that, but the practical realities of commercially casting massive pieces of resin involve those kind of flaws at that price level. Considering the detail and durability of the ZM tiles and the effort required to clean them up (to a gaming standard), it's not bad value in my opinion. I've paid for a full set and a heat gun and a paint job has left me satisfied considering the cost, both cash and prep/fix time. I did purchase them after researching their shoddyness, so I knew what I was getting myself into.

Despite my acceptance of the ZM products quality level, I think FW should definitely be upfront and forthcoming about the the inherent flaws. It's a dick move they don't. Despite that FW are pretty good with replacing wonky sections. I had one the heat gun couldn't flatten replaced almost 8 months after I bought it no question asked.

Edit: Another point I consider is that the relatively small market for good 30k/40k terrain leaves us with few non-bespoke options, and it is WAACing, leaf-blowing, DoW deploying hams who are to blame! :argh:

krursk fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 18, 2018

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

krursk posted:

It is acceptable for your $700 table to look like poo poo

Yeah, this is pretty outrageous.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

krursk posted:

I can understand that, but the practical realities of commercially casting massive pieces of resin involve those kind of flaws at that price level. Considering the detail and durability of the ZM tiles and the effort required to clean them up (to a gaming standard), it's not bad value in my opinion. I've paid for a full set and a heat gun and a paint job has left me satisfied considering the cost, both cash and prep/fix time. I did purchase them after researching their shoddyness, so I knew what I was getting myself into.

Despite my acceptance of the ZM products quality level, I think FW should definitely be upfront and forthcoming about the the inherent flaws. It's a dick move they don't. Despite that FW are pretty good with replacing wonky sections. I had one the heat gun couldn't flatten replaced almost 8 months after I bought it no question asked.

Edit: Another point I consider is that the relatively small market for good 30k/40k terrain leaves us with few non-bespoke options, and it is WAACing, leaf-blowing, DoW deploying hams who are to blame! :argh:

Then they need to change the price level. If you can't provide a quality product at a given price, and your business model is providing a premium product, you need to fix your pricing. That quality is unacceptable for $700. If they could deliver good quality for $1000, they might be able to sell more sets of it, since it wouldn't develop the reputation of being crap.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Seriously, that quality is worse than a recast

Pierzak posted:

Jesus gently caress. I've seen Micro Arts terrain that they sell to wargaming clubs at cost because it's too low-quality to trade and this poo poo looks 2-3x worse than the worst of those rejects.

Also, are those ZM tiles hardfoam or resin?

They are this hollow plastic. I'm not sure they are hardfoam

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

krursk posted:

It’s £450. Make it OK doesn’t cut it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Also just lol at your second post. Trash.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
Most of the higher end recasters have better quality control and cleaner products than FW. The fact that any legit purchases I have made from FW had more bubbles, worse gating, flat out broken parts and dripping with release agent is just straight up rubbish. FW replacing shoddiness is not a solution, as good recasters offer that too at like 1/4 the initial price. Jewel like wonder and all that jazz

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Killer_Bees! posted:

Most of the higher end recasters have better quality control and cleaner products than FW. The fact that any legit purchases I have made from FW had more bubbles, worse gating, flat out broken parts and dripping with release agent is just straight up rubbish. FW replacing shoddiness is not a solution, as good recasters offer that too at like 1/4 the initial price. Jewel like wonder and all that jazz

I am literally shaking.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

TTerrible posted:

I am literally shaking.

Carl alt-account confirmed.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

ijyt posted:

It’s £450. Make it OK doesn’t cut it.
In reality it's far better then OK, it's awesome once cleaned up and painted, far superior to any alternatives I've encountered. If you can find a readily available alternative at that price level that has equal or better quality I'd like to see it. Sure I could spend less cash and scratch build something equivalent but the time cost is prohibitive and the durability of the play surface would suffer.

Frankly I got my moneys worth. My friends and I play ZM games pretty frequently and the board is very popular in my gaming circles. It often becomes a feature in standard games as building interiors and such. It even gets loaned out for DnD and other PnP games. The immersive atmosphere it creates makes for pure fun. Worth every penny.

If you're going to whinge about prices and using a heat gun, sand paper and a little green-stuff... you're involved in the wrong hobby.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
krursk, I think most of us in here work with resin of various quality. We know what we're getting ourselves into. The quality of the tiles that JcDent got are not normal. It's a poo poo miscast. Hell, the miscasts that Quantum Gothic sent to me that are 'not consumer grade' are significantly better. I've had recasts better. It's bullshit that FW is defending it as normal, because it's not. I would be angry if I spent $800 on FW tiles covered with greenstuff repairs.

He's getting a refund, that's good, but it's hard to believe they're saying 'this is normal quality' when it clearly isn't.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

I don't really feel like continuing a FW cost or quality debate after this post but personally it looks quite fixable to me considering I had the same issues (however I was well aware of them before I bought it). I really don't think FW are trying to flog off a deliberately dodgy product, the process of making these large tiles clearly has limits. A modular kit with individual wall pieces cast in the traditional resin would better in a lot ways but the weight, durability and cost would suffer badly. An injection moulded plastic version would be fantastic but I doubt there is enough of a market for it to be viable.

Again I've got to stress that I've not encountered a readily available alternative of equal "awesome" factor that doesn't require me to cast my own wall sections or mess around with expensive laser cut MDF, both of which was not a reasonable option for me. I'm sure consumer 3d printers will get there soon but for the time being there aren't any options out there that aren't a compromise, but I would honestly love to be proven wrong. I've not even seen a china forge ZM recast but admittedly I've not looked very hard nor am I interested in getting formaldehyde poisoning like one of the WAAC cheapskates did last year.

Just an example of the ZM board love in my area: At the moment I've got most of the pieces on loan to my buddies in the Pathfinder gang. They've got a smash TV meets battle royale style gauntlet going on with hoards of zombies and other monsters flooding in trying to murder them each weekend this month, its become very popular. Next month I've got a 40k Apoc game planned, the ZM board will represent the interiors of 3 objective containing bunkers on the overboard and it's generating a fair bit of interest with all sorts of ideas about siege effects on occupants etc. But whatever, I'm going to finish Dorn and then I'll paint orks until April.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

krursk posted:

In reality it's far better then OK, it's awesome once cleaned up and painted, far superior to any alternatives I've encountered. If you can find a readily available alternative at that price level that has equal or better quality I'd like to see it. Sure I could spend less cash and scratch build something equivalent but the time cost is prohibitive and the durability of the play surface would suffer.

Frankly I got my moneys worth. My friends and I play ZM games pretty frequently and the board is very popular in my gaming circles. It often becomes a feature in standard games as building interiors and such. It even gets loaned out for DnD and other PnP games. The immersive atmosphere it creates makes for pure fun. Worth every penny.

If you're going to whinge about prices and using a heat gun, sand paper and a little green-stuff... you're involved in the wrong hobby.

Maze of the Dead. Magnetised, modular, £250.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
WIP of my crow Discipline Master. Not really happy with him, but he's getting there:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Looking amazing there!

Speaking of which, since ZM limits squad size to 15 dudes, what Militia troops choices aside from Grenadiers can take part? Militia and Inducted Levy start at 20 iirc.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

BULBASAUR posted:

WIP of my crow Discipline Master. Not really happy with him, but he's getting there:

Looks great, idiot

Get better self esteem

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

krursk posted:

I don't really feel like continuing a FW cost or quality debate after this post but personally it looks quite fixable to me considering I had the same issues (however I was well aware of them before I bought it). I really don't think FW are trying to flog off a deliberately dodgy product, the process of making these large tiles clearly has limits. A modular kit with individual wall pieces cast in the traditional resin would better in a lot ways but the weight, durability and cost would suffer badly. An injection moulded plastic version would be fantastic but I doubt there is enough of a market for it to be viable.

Again I've got to stress that I've not encountered a readily available alternative of equal "awesome" factor that doesn't require me to cast my own wall sections or mess around with expensive laser cut MDF, both of which was not a reasonable option for me. I'm sure consumer 3d printers will get there soon but for the time being there aren't any options out there that aren't a compromise, but I would honestly love to be proven wrong. I've not even seen a china forge ZM recast but admittedly I've not looked very hard nor am I interested in getting formaldehyde poisoning like one of the WAAC cheapskates did last year.

Just an example of the ZM board love in my area: At the moment I've got most of the pieces on loan to my buddies in the Pathfinder gang. They've got a smash TV meets battle royale style gauntlet going on with hoards of zombies and other monsters flooding in trying to murder them each weekend this month, its become very popular. Next month I've got a 40k Apoc game planned, the ZM board will represent the interiors of 3 objective containing bunkers on the overboard and it's generating a fair bit of interest with all sorts of ideas about siege effects on occupants etc. But whatever, I'm going to finish Dorn and then I'll paint orks until April.

I for one, am thankful that a minimum wage preteen took his precious time to half assed greenstuff my $800 object of jewel like wonder. It’s totally fine!! In fact, I love it! It really shows Forgeworlds dedication to the craft.

The technology just isn’t there yet to make quality resin casts. There is evidence of this in every forgeworld kit. Making a mold, using it properly, and replacing it after it’s useful life is v. difficult. Who knew manufacturing could be so hard!!??

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

krursk posted:

nor am I interested in getting formaldehyde poisoning like one of the WAAC cheapskates did last year.

Pretty sure that requires making a conscious effort to snort the resin dust, and if you do that you sort of deserve to get sick.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Mango Polo posted:

Pretty sure that requires making a conscious effort to snort the resin dust, and if you do that you sort of deserve to get sick.

Yeah, if you're going to do lines of resin it needs to be 100% pure forgeworld, the recasts get cut too much and who knows what ends up in them.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hixson posted:

I for one, am thankful that a minimum wage preteen took his precious time to half assed greenstuff my $800 object of jewel like wonder. It’s totally fine!! In fact, I love it! It really shows Forgeworlds dedication to the craft.

The technology just isn’t there yet to make quality resin casts. There is evidence of this in every forgeworld kit. Making a mold, using it properly, and replacing it after it’s useful life is v. difficult. Who knew manufacturing could be so hard!!??

lol you fell for the bait

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
We misinterpreted the thread title quote.

The person was referring to all the resin dust in our bloodstreams.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

General Olloth posted:

We misinterpreted the thread title quote.

The person was referring to all the resin dust in our bloodstreams.

If you consume it via anus or eyeball you can bypass the liver.

Content: I finished painting 3,000 points of Sons of Horus yaaay

ne1 want closeups

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Post the close-ups homie