Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Deptfordx posted:

It might be hyperbole to say that whole Wargames section was the worst thing I've ever read. But off the top of my head I can't think of anything worse.

Goddamn.

Its ok

Its not like they are gonna have him re-enact a whole second movie as a challenge later on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Wargames is about the inherent Pyrrhic victory that lies at the end of nuclear conflict. Wade lives in a world where nuclear bombings have not only happened but continue to happen. But the only thing he thinks about it is that it's cool because Halliday liked it and it has a hacker teen for a protagonist. Where Clines imagination and intellectual curiosity should be lies a black hole.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
There's also a scene where the bad guys use a robot that is modeled after Johnny 5 and Ernest makes fun of them for being so unoriginal

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

chitoryu12 posted:

The masturbation stuff.

The what? :magical:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

iospace posted:

Little man on the canoe, remember that phrase

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

It says a lot about Wade's lack of actual personal character that in the same breath he basically says "Wargames was Halliday's favorite movie. Thus its my favorite movie."

In a competently written piece that exchange could be read with a good sense of sarcasm.

"Paris was her favorite city. Thus it was mine as well. And if I had to buy a few dozen guide books to learn about my beloved city of lights then who would know?"

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin
Would it accurate to say that this book is like Citizen Kane, if Charles Foster Kane did nothing but obsess over pop-culture, and the dude trying find out about rosebud got billions of dollars after failing to figure out what the big deal was, and if it was also terrible?

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
It seems weird to me that people in this thread are like "this book is poo poo and stupid, how did it get so popular?!"
The answer is pretty much in the question. Large numbers of people are poo poo and stupid, and like poo poo, stupid things.
For example, Captain America: Civil War made more money than Watchmen. Cap isn't a badly made movie, but it is a very well-made stupid poo poo movie for the masses.
Cline managed to tap into this market by being, himself, a poo poo, stupid person, and writing what he knows. A book for people who wouldn't normally read a book.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

roomforthetuna posted:

For example, Captain America: Civil War made more money than Watchmen. Cap isn't a badly made movie, but it is a very well-made stupid poo poo movie for the masses.

Ah yes, Watchmen, Zach Snyder's magnum opus.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

roomforthetuna posted:

It seems weird to me that people in this thread are like "this book is poo poo and stupid, how did it get so popular?!"
The answer is pretty much in the question. Large numbers of people are poo poo and stupid, and like poo poo, stupid things.
Cline managed to tap into this market by being, himself, a poo poo, stupid person, and writing what he knows. A book for people who wouldn't normally read a book.

CD is thataway chief

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

iospace posted:

Don't worry. The openings are very discreet.

roomforthetuna posted:

No. I like schlocky fiction. I have a very high tolerance for schlocky, bad fiction. This is on a whole other level of badness. It is sub-Koontz. It is lower than Dan Brown. This book is more poorly written than Twilight. It is, hands down, the worst written professionally produced and edited novel I have ever read.

And it's not just the general populace; this was generally well received by critics. It made numerous "Year's Best" lists. The Onion AV Club gave it an A rating. The New York Times praised the "breadth and cleverness of Mr. Cline’s imagination". It is loving baffling, as if the entire population of literary critics was gripped by a low grade fever and a concussion during 2011.

Also: Civil War is much more competently executed movie than Watchmen, so that's kind of a dumb comparison.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

roomforthetuna posted:

I like the Marvel films. They're not exactly high art, but they're all solid and competently made films with good jokes and expensive special effects. You go into a Marvel movie, you can expect to have a good time and leave happy unless you're really loving picky about your media.

This book has none of that. It's dry "autistic man explaining his favorite video game" scenes intercut with racism and sudden swerves into weird sex poo poo that you don't see coming. It should have never become as popular with both critics and the general public as it has.

On that note, depending on what people say about it I might actually watch the movie for this thread. So far I'm hearing that a ton of it has been changed from the book, so I might be able to watch it on its own merits.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

We never get any hint as to what risk Wade actually faces, as he's such an obsessive nerd that he gets it all right on his first try. The game itself never tells him what the consequences are and he never faces any. 

This was my biggest problem with this book. Wade has no character arc because he never grows at all and never fails. He does everything exactly right the first time, every time, no matter how impossible it is. He plays video games perfectly, remembers movie lines perfectly, and has snappy comebacks to his school bullies. It's the most depressing high schooler wish fulfillment self insert ever. It's embarrassing to imagine someone writing an idealized version of themselves and coming up with Wade.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

legendof posted:

This was my biggest problem with this book. Wade has no character arc because he never grows at all and never fails. He does everything exactly right the first time, every time, no matter how impossible it is. He plays video games perfectly, remembers movie lines perfectly, and has snappy comebacks to his school bullies. It's the most depressing high schooler wish fulfillment self insert ever. It's embarrassing to imagine someone writing an idealized version of themselves and coming up with Wade.

And the worst part is that there's parts where he does fail but they're in games that allow for failures. Like in Joust where it's a best 2 out of 3 game, he loses the first round and then aces the next two. Later he'll play more coin op games where he gets multiple lives or credits or whatnot and a sentence or two will be used to casually mention his past failures. We just skip to the part where he succeeds, sometimes with as little as two pages describing the game from start to finish.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It is loving baffling, as if the entire population of literary critics was gripped by a low grade fever and a concussion during 2011.

Three words:

Amazing. Press. Junket.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
So, how deep are we into the book now? Because based on your excerpt sizes and summaries, I'm imagining like, 40 pages tops. And he's already gotten 1 out of 3 of the "epic" goals, with almost no fanfare whatsoever. This is not how you write an adventure story.

Also, it hit me how to describe this book--its press lies, it's not about 80s nostalgia. It's a book about Ernest Cline's nostalgia, and nothing more whatsoever. Hence how like, 35-40% of the geek references in the book have nothing to do with the 80s but are still treated like they are.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

So, how deep are we into the book now? Because based on your excerpt sizes and summaries, I'm imagining like, 40 pages tops. And he's already gotten 1 out of 3 of the "epic" goals, with almost no fanfare whatsoever. This is not how you write an adventure story.

Also, it hit me how to describe this book--its press lies, it's not about 80s nostalgia. It's a book about Ernest Cline's nostalgia, and nothing more whatsoever. Hence how like, 35-40% of the geek references in the book have nothing to do with the 80s but are still treated like they are.

We just passed the 30% mark. The next chapter is page 116 of 375 (including an Armada preview and acknowledgments).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I liked that Wade could only beat the demi-lich Joust boss because he told the lich to let him play as player 1. He only knows how to play games as the first player because he's never had any friends to play games with.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

I liked that Wade could only beat the demi-lich Joust boss because he told the lich to let him play as player 1. He only knows how to play games as the first player because he's never had any friends to play games with.

Congratulations on putting more thought into the implications of Wade switching sides than the author did.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Here's a detail that jumped out at me: he says there's a deep, ominous hum and then Also Sprach Zarathrustra starts playing. He probably got this from watching the movie.

Here's the thing: the deep, ominous hum is part of the music. That's how the piece starts. The movement everyone knows (Also Sprach Zarathustra is a suite, not a single piece) is called Sunrise, and the low note (a Bb, I think?) represents the darkness before dawn.

That would be exactly the kind of detail an obsessive nerd (:v:) would love to point out, but of course Cline doesn't care.

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

Poulpe posted:

Just caught up, this thread is so great :allears:

I would also like to echo the problems with "I pick up a bunch of gold and get 20000 world credits and 20000 XP like it's nothing"
First off, 20000 credits! More money than the protagonist has ever had in his life! Isn't he elated? Oh, nope, still just an emotionless 80s trivia bot. As a matter of fact he really seems to lack any emotion or excitement at all considering he's making his way through the thing he's literally spent his entire life trying to find.

And as for the gaping "why don't people just farm this instance" plot hole, an even half way decent writer could eschew this by having Art3mis (I hate that I just typed that) explain that you can only collect it once, or that this is very special as none of the other DnD instances behave this way, or both, or SOMEthing. At the very least make it a pain in the rear end to convert DnD gold into real currency by having other players buy it! This all just reeks of laziness.

This is not a difficult problem, but the moment I read "He got a bunch of free resources" + "Art3mis has been coming here for three weeks" it became one.
I suspect 20,000 credits isn't actually all that much. It's more than Wade has had because he's dirt poor and only level 3 of ? The rewards are enough to remove both of those limitations but as far as I remember that's it.

What I think is a dumber conceit is that he'd rather kill 6 kobolds all day than let his well to do friend help him get to the fun stuff, that is until he lets his friends help him do the fun stuff when it's needed for the plot.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

I don't think that he actually likes any of this stuff. Like... there's no passion or interest in it at all. Why does he write about this? he obviously doesn't give a poo poo about a single one of these subjects.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but does it feel like one massive PvE fest? Like, there's no conflict between the MC and other player characters.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Memento posted:

Congratulations on putting more thought into the implications of Wade switching sides than the author did.

The name of the book isn't "Ready Player Two". :colbert:

Solumin posted:

That would be exactly the kind of detail an obsessive nerd (:v:) would love to point out, but of course Cline doesn't care actually know that fact because he's basing this all on personal memory, not on research into the topics that his MC spends all his time actually researching.

FTFY

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Wapole Languray posted:

I don't think that he actually likes any of this stuff. Like... there's no passion or interest in it at all. Why does he write about this? he obviously doesn't give a poo poo about a single one of these subjects.

From an authorial perspective, it's nostalgia. But for Wade to get into it, as a kid in the future, would require him having a taste for certain dated media that Cline is unable to articulate.

Like it would actually be interesting if there was some reason Wade was only interested in media from 30+ years before he was born. Is he pining for a time before the world fell apart? Does it represent a more innocent time for humanity that he is trying to return to?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Ccs posted:

Like it would actually be interesting if there was some reason Wade was only interested in media from 30+ years before he was born. Is he pining for a time before the world fell apart? Does it represent a more innocent time for humanity that he is trying to return to?
Again, more thought than the author put in.

We're going to be saying this a lot, aren't we? :sigh:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

PJOmega posted:

In universe it is because Halliday's quest has loving destroyed a generation of culture. Millions of kids and content generators don't see any other avenue out of abject poverty but to pour themselves into the mold of an autistic old man with a raging nostalgia boner.

The hilarious part is, I'm pretty sure that's an entirely unintentional reading of Cline's work. He honestly thinks 80's kitsch is superior enough that it would overwhelm the current pop culture if people just had a reason to dig into it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

crossposting

https://twitter.com/goji_guy/status/974331646592856064

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Ccs posted:

From an authorial perspective, it's nostalgia. But for Wade to get into it, as a kid in the future, would require him having a taste for certain dated media that Cline is unable to articulate.

It could have been a genuinely interesting approach if Wade actually hated all this stuff and was deeply cynical about it. Like, he's poor as poo poo and sees this as his only way out, so he spends hours researching the 80s nonsense some crazy old billionaire was obsessed with, but for him it's just a means to an end and he's sick of it. Maybe he could even develop as a character by coming to enjoy it by the end as he learns to engage with it for fun and not by dementedly learning every pointless thing about it, which might function as a critique of geek culture and the kind of trivia-based gatekeeping that goes on there.

But then Ernie wouldn't get to wank off about being a kid in the 80s, so I suppose that's that.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Wapole Languray posted:

Other than retro arcade and home computer games, where he does seem to possess a fairly deep well of knowledge, Cline's actual knowledge about 80's subject matter comes across as surprisingly shallow. He thinks Highlander is an obscure reference. He fucks up really basic dungeons and dragons facts. His Star Wars stuff seems confined solely to reading the IMDB quotations page for the original trilogy. I don't think he knows any comic book characters not in the Avengers or Justice League. The whole realm of "Girls Stuff" 80's nostalgia is a closed book to him.

Also, I don't think we've hit a single Nintendo reference in the entire book so far, which is absolutely shocking in its absence. Not one "It's a me, Mario!"

And that's fine; God knows we don't need more references in the book. But it does say something about the author.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ugh, the replies

https://twitter.com/jesserocket01/status/974446734712635392

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

I slept for over twelve hours and missed school entirely.

When I finally woke up, I rubbed my eyes and lay there in silence awhile, trying to convince myself that the events of the previous day had actually occurred. It all seemed like a dream to me now. Far too good to be real. Eventually, I grabbed my visor and got online to find out for sure.

Every single newsfeed seemed to be showing a screenshot of the Scoreboard. And my avatar’s name was there at the top, in first place. Art3mis was still in second place, but the score beside her name had now increased to 109,000, just 1,000 points less than mine. And, like me, she had a copper-colored gate icon beside her score now too.

So she’d done it. While I’d slept, she’d deciphered the inscription on the Copper Key. Then she’d gone to Middletown, located the gate, and made it all the way through WarGames, just a few hours after I had.

I no longer felt quite so impressed with myself.

I flipped past a few more channels before stopping on one of the major newsfeed networks, where I saw two men sitting in front of a screenshot of the Scoreboard. The man on the left, some middle-aged intellectual type billed as “Edgar Nash, Gunter Expert” appeared to be explaining the scores to the newsfeed anchor beside him.

“—appears that the avatar named Parzival received slightly more points for being the first to find the Copper Key,” Nash said, pointing to the Scoreboard. “Then, early this morning, Parzival’s score increased another one hundred thousand points, and a Copper Gate icon appeared beside his score. The same change occurred to Art3mis’s score a few hours later. This seems to indicate that both of them have now completed the first of the three gates.”

“The famous Three Gates that James Halliday spoke of in the Anorak’s Invitation video?” the anchor said.

“The very same.”

“But Mr. Nash. After five years, how is it that two avatars accomplished this feat on the same day, within just a few hours of each other?”

“Well, I think there’s only one plausible answer. These two people, Parzival and Art3mis, must be working together. They’re probably both members of what is known as a ‘gunter clan.’ These are groups of egg hunters who—”

I like how after explaining and even showing us the Scoreboard (I'll include a screenshot of it later, but just know that the Scoreboard actually makes an appearance many times in this book), he has these news anchors immediately recount what Wade told the audience just a page later.

Wade turns off the channel before he can listen to more of the anchors mistaking him and his crush for allies and coincidentally flips to an interview with Ogden Morrow talking about the Hunt. After explaining that even he doesn't know who Art3mis and Parzival are because of the tight regulations GSS has on user identification data, he says that he hopes they keep their identities secret because of the danger they would face in real life if identified. The news network admits to having emailed both of them, offering a lot of cash for an exclusive interview.

quote:

“I’m betting that those other eight empty slots will fill up pretty quickly.”

“What makes you think so?”

“One person can keep a secret, but not two,” he replied, staring directly into the camera again. “I don’t know. Maybe I’m wrong. But I am sure of one thing. The Sixers are going to use every dirty trick at their disposal to learn the location of the Copper Key and the First Gate.”

“You’re referring to the employees of Innovative Online Industries?”

“Yes. IOI. The Sixers. Their sole purpose is to exploit loopholes in the contest rules and subvert the intention of Jim’s will. The very soul of the OASIS is at stake here. The last thing Jim would have wanted is for his creation to fall into the hands of a fascist multinational conglomerate like IOI.”

“Mr. Morrow, IOI owns this network....”

“Of course they do!” Morrow shouted gleefully. “They own practically everything! Including you, pretty boy! I mean, did they tattoo a UPC code on your rear end when they hired you to sit there and spout their corporate propaganda?”

The reporter began to stutter, glancing nervously at something off camera.

“Quick!” Morrow said. “You better cut me off before I say anything else!” He broke up into gales of laughter just as the network cut his satellite feed.

The reporter took a few seconds to regroup, then said, “Thank you again for joining us today, Mr. Morrow. Unfortunately that’s all the time we have to speak with him. Now let’s go back to Judy, who is standing by with a panel of renowned Halliday scholars—”

I smiled and closed the vidfeed window, pondering the old man’s advice. I’d always suspected that Morrow knew more about the contest than he was letting on.

We take a break from the plot to learn more about Halliday and Morrow. Remember that British exchange student who nicknamed Halliday "Anorak"? Her name was Karen Underwood, though she changed her name to Kira after watching The Dark Crystal (again, not even loving kidding).

quote:

In his autobiography, Morrow wrote that she was the “quintessential geek girl,” unabashedly obsessed with Monty Python, comic books, fantasy novels, and videogames.

Oh so she's another one of Cline's perfect women.

Kira was the lone girl in their D&D group, and like every D&D group with only one girl everyone began crushing on her. Kira was the only woman Halliday ever spoke to, even though he could only address her as her D&D character, Leucosia. Despite Halliday's crush, she fell in love with Ogden and returned to the United States to date him after they both graduated high school. Kira took the role of artistic director at GSS, then married Morrow and resigned from her position a few years after the launch of OASIS.

quote:

Morrow stayed on at GSS for five more years. Then, in the summer of 2022,he announced he was leaving the company. At the time, he claimed it was for “personal reasons.” But years later, Morrow wrote in his autobiography that he’d left GSS because “we were no longer in the videogame business,” and because he felt that the OASIS had evolved into something horrible. “It had become a self-imposed prison for humanity,” he wrote. “A pleasant place for the world to hide from its problems while human civilization slowly collapses, primarily due to neglect.”

This is one of maybe....two times that OASIS gets presented as anything negative? The other time is at the very end. The rest of the book does everything possible to actually say the opposite of this ham-handed message.

quote:

Rumors also surfaced that Morrow had chosen to leave because he’d had a huge falling-out with Halliday. Neither of them would confirm or deny these rumors, and no one seemed to know what sort of dispute had ended their long friendship. But sources within the company said that at the time of Morrow’s resignation, he and Halliday had not spoken to each other directly in several years. Even so, when Morrow left GSS, he sold his entire share of the company directly to Halliday, for an undisclosed sum.

Ogden and Kira left GSS as millionaires and founded Halcydonia Interactive, which made the interactive children's games that Wade was basically raised by, giving him the impression of the old couple as sort of parental figures. Tragically, Kira was killed in a car crash in 2034. Her widower stayed out of the limelight from then on, only emerging to talk to the press after Halliday's death.

quote:

Morrow had begun it by reading a brief statement, saying that he hadn’t seen or spoken to Halliday in over a decade. “We had a falling-out,” he said, “and that is something I refuse to discuss, now or in the future. Suffice it to say, I have not communicated with James Halliday in over ten years.”

“Then why did Halliday leave you his vast collection of classic coin-operated videogames?” a reporter asked. “All of his other material possessions are to be auctioned off. If you were no longer friends, why are you the only person he left anything to?”

“I have no idea,” Morrow said simply.Another reporter asked Morrow if he planned on looking for Halliday’s Easter egg himself, since he’d known Halliday so well and would therefore probably have a better chance than anyone of finding it. Morrow reminded the reporter that the contest rules laid out in Halliday’s will stated that no one who had ever worked for Gregarious Simulation Systems, or anyone in their immediate families, was eligible to take part in the contest.

“Did you have any idea what Halliday was working on all those years he was in seclusion?” another reporter asked.

“No. I suspected he might be working on some new game. Jim was always working on a new game. For him, making games was as necessary as breathing. But I never imagined he was planning something ... of this magnitude.”

“As the person who knew James Halliday the best, do you have any advice for the millions of people who are now searching for his Easter egg? Where do you think people should start looking for it?”

“I think Jim made that pretty obvious,” Morrow replied, tapping a finger against his temple, just as Halliday had in the Anorak’s Invitation video.

“Jim always wanted everyone to share his obsessions, to love the same things he loved. I think this contest is his way of giving the entire world an incentive to do just that.”

Yeah, there really isn't anything that much deeper to Halliday's Hunt. The guy who threw temper tantrums and fired people if they didn't get his obscure 80s references structured the fate of his entire company around making people finally obsess over them as he did. While Halliday is meant to appear as a quirky Willy Wonka character, this is less cool and more incredibly pathetic and spiteful: "You didn't appreciate my tastes when I was younger? All right gently caress you, dance like puppets."

Wade opens his email to find over 2 million unread messages that his system automatically filtered into an unsolicited inbox. All that was left after the filtering is a message from Aech and one from Art3mis, so he quickly calls Aech back. Aech is practically bouncing off the virtual walls at his best friend suddenly becoming world famous, and Wade quickly summarizes his meeting with Art3mis.

quote:

Aech held up both hands. “No worries. I totally understand. I wouldn’t want for you to accidentally drop any hints.” He flashed his trademark Cheshire grin, and his gleaming white teeth seemed to take up half of the vidfeed window. “Actually, I should let you know where I am right now....”

He adjusted his vidfeed’s virtual camera so that it pulled back from a tight shot of his face to a much wider shot that revealed where he was—standing next to the flat-topped hill, just outside the entrance to the Tomb of Horrors.

My jaw dropped. “How in the hell—?”

“Well, when I saw your name all over the newsfeeds last night, it occurred to me that for as long as I’ve known you, you’ve never had the dough to do much traveling. Any traveling, really. So I figured that if you’d found the hiding place of the Copper Key, it probably had to be somewhere close to Ludus. Or maybe even on Ludus.”

Most of the conversation here is pretty forgettable, just meaningless details like "I already went inside and the server still has to reset." What matters is that Aech is afraid that even though Parzival's identity is still private, he thinks some gunters who frequent the Basement like I-r0k will put two and two together about two Ludus students finding the Copper Key and spread the word until everyone descends on the school planet.

After hanging up, Wade opens his message from Art3mis. It's actually an old fashioned email:

quote:

Dear Parzival,

Congrats! See? You’re famous now, just like I said. Although it looks like we’ve both been thrust into the limelight. Kinda scary, eh?Thanks for the tip about playing on the left side. You were right. Somehow, that did the trick. But don’t go thinking I owe you any favors,mister. :-)

The First Gate was pretty wild, wasn’t it? Not at all what I expected. It would have been cool if Halliday had given me the option to play Ally Sheedy instead, but what can you do?

This new riddle is a real head-scratcher, isn’t it? I hope it doesn’t take us another five years to decipher it.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say that it was an honor to meet you. I hope our paths cross again soon.

Sincerely,

Art3mis

ps—Enjoy being #1 while you can, pal. It won’t last for long.

I reread her message several times, grinning like a dopey schoolboy. Then I typed out my reply:

Dear Art3mis,

Congratulations to you, too. You weren’t kidding. Competition clearly brings out the best in you.

You’re welcome for the tip about playing on the left. You totally owe me a favor now. ;-)

The new riddle is a cinch. I think I’ve already got it figured out, actually. What’s the hold-up on your end?

It was an honor to meet you, too. If you ever feel like hanging out in a chat room, let me know.

MTFBWYA,

Parzival

ps—Are you challenging me? Bring the pain, woman.

After rewriting it a few dozen times, I tapped the Send button. Then I pulled up my screenshot of the Jade Key riddle and began to study it,syllable by syllable. But I couldn’t seem to concentrate. No matter how hard I tried to focus, my mind kept drifting back to Art3mis.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

"MTFBWYA"?

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012

iospace posted:

"MTFBWYA"?

"May the Force Be With You Always" according to Google.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

iospace posted:

"MTFBWYA"?

It's a star wars thing, figure it out nerdlinger

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

iospace posted:

"MTFBWYA"?
See this is what happens when Cline doesn't explicitly explain every loving reference. He misses just one, and now it's all "what is this I don't get it" from the audience. :colbert:

Edit: If he'd done this in the style of the rest of the book it would have been like
MTFBWYA - this is an acronym for "may the force be with you, always" which Obi Wan Kenobi says in a Star War. I was confident that Art3m1s would understand the reference because it is a good one for people who know eighties things.

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 17, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:ughh:

See, part of the problem would have been solved if, you know, the VR tech came out in the 80s and such in the story, not "I LOVED THIS SO MUCH YOU MUST LOVE IT AS I HAVE" shoehorn.

But that would change so much in terms of basic plot and gods this story is a mess.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
If cringing persists for more than two hours, consult with a medical professional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

So what I'm seeing between the lines is that the 2 creators of Oasis had a falling out because the one stole the other's waifu?

• Locked thread