Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

They have to be running dry on idiots to jump on the sinking boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

Rigel posted:

According to politico, the financial loss McCabe faces re: his pension is that he doesn't begin to receive it until he is 57, which is 7 years away instead of receiving it right now. His pension would also likely be a bit lower when he does get it.

By comparison, longtime FBI agents who were convicted of serious crimes and sent to jail reportedly lost half their pension, so I'd guess thats the absolute most it would be cut by, though I'd presume McCabe's cut would not be half.

Trump will probably be seriously mad that to learn that McCabe gets any pension at all

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Crows Turn Off posted:

Who else is supposed to get fired from the Trump Administration this weekend?

McMaster, Kelly, and maybe Mattis? No one really knows.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

publishko posted:

Trump will probably be seriously mad that to learn that McCabe gets any pension at all

Reminder about Donnie family drama, he got rid of the health insurance of his nephew(or some other kid of his sibling) because of a beef with one of his siblings.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

Reminder about Donnie family drama, he got rid of the health insurance of his nephew(or some other kid of his sibling) because of a beef with one of his siblings.

The one who died of alcoholism, no less, thus fostering Trump's Duterte-esque despisal of drugs, alcohol, and other physically addictive substances and those who become addicted to them as well. After Fred Trump Jr. died, Donnie specifically manipulated his dementia-addled father into writing Fred Jr.'s surviving family out of his will because he hated him that much.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/maxwelltani/status/974835038809411585

God, they're not even being subtle about wanting to purge the FBI

Well yeah, there's is absolutely no way to fire McCabe 2 days before his retirement, short of him killing/rapiung people on video, that would've been subtle or justifiable to any objective party. This is a clear signal that Trump at least is done trying to hide their bullshit, if he ever was before. It's really hard to tell if he was just super bad at it before or never tried to hide it in the first place.

Unless I forgot one this is his first obvious Russia investigation related firing with no other possible explanation or cover. As bad as Comey's firing was he at least had a bullshit story Republicans could buy into.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I've seen some stupid poo poo, but to go after an FBI guy that was actively involved in closing cases against the Russian Mob in the US. Someone with that on their service record...How loving stupid can a person be? HOW???!

There's always more and it's always stupider.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ze Pollack posted:

the FBI are a slightly more power-tripping brand of cop than your usual type. less megalomaniacal than your CIA types, but far larger stick up their asses. there is a reason Rudy Giuliani knew everything the FBI was going to do before they did it.

they are not your friends.

Is this just a helpful reminder given that there is a prominent former FBI gentleman being discussed, or were you going somewhere with this?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

honestly, the biggest surprise of the day is that Donald Trump knows the word "sanctimonious"

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Are there seriously any other western countries that have schools spank their students? I think in general Europeans look at Americans spanking children as a barbaric practice and I think there’s research that shows it’s not a good practice, but “parents know best” :rolleyes:

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

honestly, the biggest surprise of the day is that Donald Trump knows the word "sanctimonious"

It's because people keep calling him that, so he had to learn what it meant.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Generic American posted:

"Don't you get it??? I, DONALD J. TRUMP, Jeff Sessions fired him because of Russia Comey!!!!!"

He's saying the quiet part loud again...

Nevermind, it's fine, Sessions fired him guys not Trump.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are there seriously any other western countries that have schools spank their students? I think in general Europeans look at Americans spanking children as a barbaric practice and I think there’s research that shows it’s not a good practice, but “parents know best” :rolleyes:

Up till 2004, Canada still used corporal punishment on a province-by-province basis. Between the 70s and late 90s, the majority of the provinces and territories had banned it legally, but Ontario, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Alberta had to be dragged into the modern era kicking and screaming with the full federal ban in 04.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Actually he's not french canadian, he's acadian. Which is really sad that he's such a poo poo ball, since acadians are like, an actual genocide victim that doesn't get a lot of attention because it was so successful no one really thinks about them much and they live in like 3 or 4 towns in maine and everyone vaguely hates them in a weirdly openly racist way that kinda never effects much because they are a weird trivia ethnic group that basically doesn't exist and is all very white people.

Like a group of super weirdly liberal french people that lived in a swamp and married all the natives and black people and built dams and didn't listen to the british, so the british came and smashed their heads in, and the more black people ran to the south and got jobs making swamp dams in new orleans and made that really french and black and swamp dams and the more ethnically french all went and hid in the woods in northern maine and made super poor, super french towns that everyone in maine super hates but vaguely forgot why as the acadian stuff became a thing from generations past. In weird dramatic irony because the acadian descendant towns are the "bad" towns, it's the towns maine dumped a bunch of black refugees in so all the descendants of the french that got along with other races best now super hate black people.

There are actually a reasonable number of Acadians in Canada, and some efforts underway to re-establish that cultural identity.

Yeah also it wasn't so much people "running to the South" as the British throwing people on ships and sending them there by force (often sending members of the same family to completely different places).

An interesting bit of trivia from this is that Cajun food and culture comes from the Acadians who were exiled to Louisiana. "Cajun" is a phonetic spelling of the way "Acadian" is pronounced in the Acadian dialect of French.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Wolfechu posted:

I've heard of people defending themselves in a legal case, but I don't think I've heard of people prosecuting themselves.

:golfclap:

Crows Turn Off posted:

Who else is supposed to get fired from the Trump Administration this weekend?

Literally the answer is "Who do they got?" The two people in the WH who look at all stable are Pence, largely because he's made himself as invisible as he can in the hopes of smoothly inheriting the big chair, and Sessions, because he's actually competent enough to outmaneuver Trump politically, and determined enough to gently caress over minorities that he will endure an infinitely high amount of poo poo from Trump to do it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah basically nowhere in Europe. About half the countries have also banned spanking at home, while not a single US state has done so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_corporal_punishment#By_country
http://www.endcorporalpunishment.org/progress/prohibiting-states/

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/taxRacheltax/status/974862594828718081

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

There are actually a reasonable number of Acadians in Canada, and some efforts underway to re-establish that cultural identity.

Yeah also it wasn't so much people "running to the South" as the British throwing people on ships and sending them there by force (often sending members of the same family to completely different places).

An interesting bit of trivia from this is that Cajun food and culture comes from the Acadians who were exiled to Louisiana. "Cajun" is a phonetic spelling of the way "Acadian" is pronounced in the Acadian dialect of French.

Fuckin' whoa.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Fuckin' whoa.

https://soundcloud.com/the-dollop/277-the-acadians

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

RandomBlue posted:

Unless I forgot one this is his first obvious Russia investigation related firing with no other possible explanation or cover. As bad as Comey's firing was he at least had a bullshit story Republicans could buy into.

That story was that Comey treated Clinton unfairly in the 2016 election! And Trump instantly took it back in the Lester Holt interview!

I still can't wrap my head around that piece of double-think. It's like O'Brien sending someone to Room 101 for hating Emmanuel Goldstein.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Ms Adequate posted:

:golfclap:

Literally the answer is "Who do they got?" The two people in the WH who look at all stable are Pence, largely because he's made himself as invisible as he can in the hopes of smoothly inheriting the big chair, and Sessions, because he's actually competent enough to outmaneuver Trump politically, and determined enough to gently caress over minorities that he will endure an infinitely high amount of poo poo from Trump to do it.

Pence was elected to the office of VP, not appointed. He could hold a press conference just to say "gently caress Trump" every day and he would still be there until the end of his term because Trump literally CAN'T fire him.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Chadderbox posted:

Pence was elected to the office of VP, not appointed. He could hold a press conference just to say "gently caress Trump" every day and he would still be there until the end of his term because Trump literally CAN'T fire him.

That interests me: aside from Adams and Jefferson, has there ever been a case where the POTUS and VPOTUS quite clearly hated each other and were at loggerheads the whole term?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Gen. Ripper posted:

That interests me: aside from Adams and Jefferson, has there ever been a case where the POTUS and VPOTUS quite clearly hated each other and were at loggerheads the whole term?

Jackson threatened to behead Calhoun if he seceded. After leaving office one of Jackson's two chief regrets was that he didn't hang Calhoun.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Gen. Ripper posted:

What's that? The US political history nerd signal in the sky?

First ready example that comes to my mind is Eisenhower and Nixon though I don't know if they really hated each other. They had a fairly working relationship but Nixon was basically foisted on Eisenhower when he ran for President and Eisenhower was famously reluctant to support Nixon's presidential bid in 1960 ("Give me a week and I'll come up with something nice to say").

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
efb

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

whenever someone says trump is trying to distract people or putting on an act or whatever i always i assume they're just unaware of poo poo like this.

nine-gear crow posted:

I don't know. Is the FBI still overwhelmingly Trumpist? Or has that hungry leopard's teeth finally found their way to that face after Comey and McCabe?

Dinosaurtrain posted:

Don't you have to be pretty smart to get into the FBI? I willing to bet intelligence and a strong motivation to uphold justice adds up to a lot of anti trump employees.

i'd bet money that at least 3/4 of them voted for him.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Mar 17, 2018

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
poo poo ton of Federal workers are your average milquetoast Clinton democrats.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

we're talking about cops. the fbi was described as "trumpland" before the election.

RandomBlue posted:

Watching this again for the first since the election and it's amazing and painful how on the nose David Cross was about Trump's supporters and school shootings. The only thing he got wrong was thinking Trump wouldn't win, but that's forgivable since Trump winning was still a joke in August 2016.

David Cross: Making America Great Again - https://www.netflix.com/title/80108759

I'd forgotten he talked about Sandy Hook at all and how the US just decided that was fine and did nothing.

the bit about the gop congressman cradling his daughter as she died from a mass shooting...gaddamn.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 17, 2018

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This whole FBI thing should be a good example of the loyalty you receive by fascists like the GOP the second you become a useful scapegoat despite loyal service including helping gently caress over their political enemies. But it probably won't since Trumpers never think the leopard is coming for them.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
A lot of federal workers are conservative as hell since a lot of them are former military.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

A lot of federal workers are conservative as hell since a lot of them are former military.

Weren't there stories about how the FBI at large feels attacked and some even betrayed by what they thought were their own "side" for just doing their job? I can only see that getting worse now.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
I apologize if this has been discussed already, where are right wingers getting the talking points that the IG and OPR both recommended this firing without either having a public report out yet? I assume that this is due to having a wife who ran for public office as a Democrat, I just have a hard time believing that would actually be in a report like that right?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/974827503595474946

CNN reporting that McCabe was fired two days from retirement.

This ALWAYS happens. I go to sleep JUST as the news hits. I had just managed to get back to something akin to a good sleep schedule and now I am afraid of ever sleeping or I'll miss the laughs.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

b0ng posted:

I apologize if this has been discussed already, where are right wingers getting the talking points that the IG and OPR both recommended this firing without either having a public report out yet? I assume that this is due to having a wife who ran for public office as a Democrat, I just have a hard time believing that would actually be in a report like that right?
I think Sessions just said that was what they said. Which is likely true, as the corruption within the top levels of government agencies due to the administration is basically complete now.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
im just catching up to the thread after like 40 pages, so heres my contribution

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Accurate.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Huh, I guess my spirit animal is a ice cream cone that wallows in in the futility of it all.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
So important question, is McCabe Irish

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Sir Lemming posted:

So important question, is McCabe Irish

Well, regardless, he's probably drinking today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

DiggityDoink posted:

im just catching up to the thread after like 40 pages, so heres my contribution

I imagine that ice cream must be toothpaste and Pepto bismol swirl.

• Locked thread