Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Asehujiko posted:

His invulnerability goes away only if he loses a field battle that he initiates.

The following will not work
-a player initiated battle
-an ambush
-a siege battle
-a battle in which his stack reinforces another hun stack
-an agent assasination

Well that's incredibly unfair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Nuclear War posted:

Holy poo poo, I never expected an answer so fast. Just, what is 'absurdly high'?

Put a long string of 9s in there. It thinks your video ram is lower than it is.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SeanBeansShako posted:

*follows interesting mod, loses interest when modder adopts a realism battle system that makes battles last 20-30 minutes*

Seriously loving stop it TWC. Do you nerds even finish campaigns?!

Yeah I really don’t get the obsession with longer battles. Long battles can be cool for sure, like in darth’s game where each fight is like an hour, but in TW... nope. There are too many fights and a lot of them are going to be one-sided stomps. I don’t need to sit and watch the dudes duke it out for 20 minutes. And comparing warhammer battles to way, DeI battles the extra time doesn’t really increase any “tactical depth”, it just means I cycle charge more times to break whatever unit. I end up fast-forwarding because it takes my soldiers like 10 minutes to actually hack through some surrounded, doomed phalanx.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So you can't defeat Attila by attacking him, assassinating him or beating him in a siege, and he only commits to a field battle when he has a massive advantage, and manually playing a field battle against steppe tribes is just about the most unfun gameplay Total War has ever had.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah I really don’t get the obsession with longer battles. Long battles can be cool for sure, like in darth’s game where each fight is like an hour, but in TW... nope. There are too many fights and a lot of them are going to be one-sided stomps. I don’t need to sit and watch the dudes duke it out for 20 minutes. And comparing warhammer battles to way, DeI battles the extra time doesn’t really increase any “tactical depth”, it just means I cycle charge more times to break whatever unit. I end up fast-forwarding because it takes my soldiers like 10 minutes to actually hack through some surrounded, doomed phalanx.

lrn 2 submod noob

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are there any good mods that reduce, preferably half, research time for Shogun 2 (Rise and Fall also if possible)? My friend and I, in all our coop campaigns, never once managed to get to the bottom of the research tree. We kind of want to just have a fun go at it while playing like we normally do. A quick search on the workshop nets results but I'm curious if anyone has any experience using one that they can recommend.

Edit: Also limits my general builds too (and monks/missionaries). Getting those research skills are a must.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 13, 2018

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Arcsquad12 posted:

So you can't defeat Attila by attacking him, assassinating him or beating him in a siege, and he only commits to a field battle when he has a massive advantage, and manually playing a field battle against steppe tribes is just about the most unfun gameplay Total War has ever had.

poo poo, I'd go as far as to say Hordes in general are a net-negative. They're awful to play against because the horde AI never commits to a field battle and the city-dweller AI is simply incapable of handling them so they burn down the entire map outside of your border, making the game Total Peace: Ruin Colonizer.

They can be fun to play as (see: Beastmen) but even then the AI mostly hides in their capitol and watches you burn their country down.

Attila is an odd duck for me. It has a ton of cool features and I feel like I should like it, but it mostly just drives me crazy.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 13, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Try giving him a nose bleed.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've only managed this exactly once, every other time I just bribe him into being at war with somebody else and don't bother fighting huns until his scripted death.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Asehujiko posted:

I've only managed this exactly once, every other time I just bribe him into being at war with somebody else and don't bother fighting huns until his scripted death.

Trouble is my big German Confderation of tiny allies are right in his path. The again they're pretty useless for attacking him.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Try to fight back the horde until Attila is allowed to die. It's a silly mechanic.

Or just pay him.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mans posted:

Try to fight back the horde until Attila is allowed to die. It's a silly mechanic.

Or just pay him.

To be fair this is pretty much what the huns were like in real life.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mans posted:

Or just pay him.

I've just settled for putting my Night Fighter generals on border watch to annihilate triple stack Hun invasions piecemeal while the rest of my armies sweep into Italy. I'm hoping the Marcomans start taking the fight back to the Huns after they're done kicking in the ERE's faces.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Is it a Shameful Display to mod Realm Divide? I appreciate a challenge but I don't appreciate having to turtle for a decade before hand in order to deal with this poo poo tbh.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The game cheats, why should you not? When I'm playing single player games, unless its a linear FPS, I have no real compunctions about modding out annoying mechanics. That's why I abuse the hell out of lower upkeep mods and I autoresolve most battles I know will be annoying as gently caress to manually control.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
One other thing to try that you may not have considered is "getting good."

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yeah the whole point of Realm Divide is it provides a challenge. There is none at that point without it. If you want to stomp, that's fine, but if that's the case there are better methods such as the aforementioned decrease in upkeep. You'll get rid of the turtling to build forces issue by instead already maintaining higher numbers of troops, leading to battles with large forces.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I miss the golden age of Total War modding from M2TW. Bring back Cookie Monster vs. Predator Total War.

That mod actually got a surprise update a couple of years ago. it's still good fun

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
another "what the teams are working on" post: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/wttwo-03-18

turns out they're doing another campaign pack for Rome 2, cool. apparently it's gonna be a bit different although they give no hints about what that'll mean.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can they do something for Attila? Please?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

So when they stated they were "revisiting old games" they really just meant Rome 2.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
I am excited for what other things they might add for Rome 2. So far they've been hitting it out of the park.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The one thing I wished they'd revisit in Medieval 2 is the combat camera. Update it to be like the newer games and I'd love to go back and play it, but I can't handle the old controls. It's part of why I never took part in any manual combats back in the day.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is Atilla worth getting at this point if I like Rome 2? Late Antiquity is one of my favourite periods.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd say so. Just don't get stuck fighting the hunnic swarms like I have. Play a nice faction and colonize spain

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is Atilla worth getting at this point if I like Rome 2? Late Antiquity is one of my favourite periods.

I fuckin love late antiquity but Attila's grand campaign didnt grab me. It feels kind of dated compared to Rome 2 at this point. Age of Charlemagne is a lot of fun though

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The period rules but I think its the worst modern total war. It barely runs and barely works as a game depending on which faction you play.

Other people like it though and it can be OK if you play as one of the Romes. Playing as the ERE was the only time I've had fun in that game AoC included. (AoC runs much faster but has tiny, samey rosters apart from the avars) It sort of seems meant for a big Empire gradually deteriorating kinda like the reverse of a normal TW.
It's a shame cause the combat is cool, especially cavalry who are as supreme as heavy infantry are in Rome 2. And fast skirmisher cavalry have never been better.

It's such a slog though, I boot it up to play Huns or really any faction and rarely make it past Attila's birth without uninstalling and playing something else.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can they do something for Attila? Please?

A rise of islam campaign would be great but politically impossible :smith:

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Just to reiterate what people have been saying - Rome 2 owns with mods. Attila is hot garbage, but I'm looking forward to the Ancient Empires mod which will turn it into a better Rome 2, but with the family tree and other features that should have been there from the start.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mans posted:

A rise of islam campaign would be great but politically impossible :smith:

If they ever do a renaissance/early modern total war I absolutely want to see the Battle of Vienna

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Attila is one of the few games I feel like needs mods for any playthrough. There's just too much stuff like weak garrisons, unncessary public order penalties on buildings, Hun money cheats, stupid crap like the "Death" trait where one unit of Hun spears in your territory prevents all replenishment. Once a lot of chaff is brushed away, I find it one of my favorite games in the series, but I'll also say it's not okay that the vanilla game has such problems.

I hit a dip in interest in ThroB, but the recent video uploads have made me interested again. I just like a lot of the ideas going into the campaign and battles and it just makes me wonder where these people were between Empire and now. Still stupid that the old combat system is so busted that shield walls still just break to do duel combat at the slightest touch again.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

nopantsjack posted:

The period rules but I think its the worst modern total war. It barely runs and barely works as a game depending on which faction you play.

Other people like it though and it can be OK if you play as one of the Romes. Playing as the ERE was the only time I've had fun in that game AoC included. (AoC runs much faster but has tiny, samey rosters apart from the avars) It sort of seems meant for a big Empire gradually deteriorating kinda like the reverse of a normal TW.
It's a shame cause the combat is cool, especially cavalry who are as supreme as heavy infantry are in Rome 2. And fast skirmisher cavalry have never been better.

It's such a slog though, I boot it up to play Huns or really any faction and rarely make it past Attila's birth without uninstalling and playing something else.

There's one random modder on the steam workshop who has been slowly polishing AoC up for a while now, including differentiating the rosters a lot and adding in a Byz expedition faction. With that stuff included it's a lot of fun imo.

Im also pumped as hell for Thrones, TW is generally good in inverse proportion to its scale. Gonna Cnut the gently caress outa the isles

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

What was the thread consensus on Ultimate General? Assuming Civil War, since Gettysburg seems more scaled back in scope and polish.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Pretty good, apparently. Way better than it has any right to be considering how much we all used to rag on Darth.

Also I dunno what's swept this thread over the past couple of weeks but count me as one of those people that actually really likes Attila even in vanilla. I guess I've been using the double garrisons mod for a while, and I do tend to play as the Huns rather than having to fight them for myself, but I think it's up there in the series in lots of ways.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Beamed posted:

What was the thread consensus on Ultimate General? Assuming Civil War, since Gettysburg seems more scaled back in scope and polish.

Gettysburg is highly polished and I'd highly recommend it, even over Civil War. Civil War's just more of that.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I was probably one of the more critical people of that game, mainly since its documentation is complete arse. It's a very fiddly game.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Beamed posted:

I like it but I have trouble with any tactic more advanced than variations of "shoot a few volleys and then GIVE THEM STEEL"

I also have this issue in total war though, can't get my head around tactics between the 17th and 20th centuries.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Don Gato posted:

I like it but I have trouble with any tactic more advanced than variations of "shoot a few volleys and then GIVE THEM STEEL"

I also have this issue in total war though, can't get my head around tactics between the 17th and 20th centuries.

To be honest this is still pretty accurate. One of the mistakes a lot of people make in FotS is never sending people into melee because they have guns, right? But, especially with the earliest troops, the guns are terrible and their melee ability is actually not bad. They have bayonets for a reason. This shifts as you unlock better artillery but at that point it's basically just "rain death from across the map - infantry only exist to protect the cannons/machine guns"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

reagan posted:

Just to reiterate what people have been saying - Rome 2 owns with mods. Attila is hot garbage, but I'm looking forward to the Ancient Empires mod which will turn it into a better Rome 2, but with the family tree and other features that should have been there from the start.

I wrote a page or two ago about how that wasn't gonna come out and it looks like I'm wrong. First release will likely be soon

It looks like divide et impera but on the Attila engine which sounds... worse? The worst part of Attila is it's engine. It really needed a modern 64bit client.
The best part was it's time period but this is just set in Rome 2 time.

I still hope it'll be good but looking at it I was just like "hmm why?" it's a huge effort and I don't see the reward and the devs seem to be like "we ported it from Rome 2, hopefully it'll be worth it...?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Koramei posted:

Pretty good, apparently. Way better than it has any right to be considering how much we all used to rag on Darth.

Also I dunno what's swept this thread over the past couple of weeks but count me as one of those people that actually really likes Attila even in vanilla. I guess I've been using the double garrisons mod for a while, and I do tend to play as the Huns rather than having to fight them for myself, but I think it's up there in the series in lots of ways.

I think Attila is the best historical game (caveat, I never played Shogun 2 due to lack of interest in the region), battles are way better than Rome 2 to me and the sieges and urban combat are at their best in the series, plus it has the hardest campaign layer of all the games in general, partly due to all the moving parts you have to balance in each region and partly because of corruption and the decaying climate (until you learn to embrace the goat). My major problem with it is that they really should have used a 64-bit engine for this release.