Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

FoldableHuman posted:

I'm not sure about embezzlement, if only because I don't think it's embezzlement if you're shoving money into your pockets in full view of everyone.

Ouch.

FoldableHuman posted:

At the bare minimum it's 100% about the money. Michaud has no training or experience in anything. He was working retail when some high school friends started talking about putting their doofy comedy videos on the internet. He convinced them they should make a site, and when it started to take off convinced them he'd be the Business Guy so they could just do creative stuff.

And they let him? Like they, even after getting famous and hearing about ad dollars and everything, still looked at him and said "oh, sure, you handle all the money, even though we're doing everything and you're, um, sitting there?"

One of these days, someone's going to audit those books and-- wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

Pretty much. There's a funny idea in there, 'hostage gameshow' could be like, a B+ SNL skit, and an 80's themed quiz is a good idea, lots to pull from there.

But like, why mash them up? Why not just do one or the other? Who told him the 80's themed youtube game show needed ANOTHER 'thing' on top of it?

This is a pretty common problem for beginning creators: You get ideas all over the place, and instead of going, "Hey, that's cool, I'll save it for later," you go, "Hey, that's cool! I can throw it in the pot with this other idea I'm doing now!"

Very, very rarely, it becomes two great tastes that taste great together. Usually, it's just incoherent garbage. Especially if a thing goes on long enough and keeps getting saddled with the creator's great new ideas- see pretty much every 90s-00s webcomic.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

FoldableHuman posted:

Their lease on the warehouse is probably at minimum $3000 per month, wouldn't even be shocked if it were $6-7000. That's just lease, not utilities.

Multiply that by the twenty months(!) between the IndieGoGo campaign (where they had already leased and moved into the warehouse and half-built the set) and the actual release of that haunted video, $60k minimum went to leasing a space that was functionally sitting empty.

The best part is that they built a green screen space in the warehouse, but it was so cavernous they needed to put a roof on it to dampen the noise, so now it's just a normal sized room with a green wall, and the rest of the warehouse is too awful to shoot in so 90% of their shooting is done in the attached office space. So really all they needed was a light industrial office space with 10' ceilings where they could paint a wall green.

Just...what. WHAT

How did these people ever make a cent of money

DAN

Please tell me

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

FoldableHuman posted:

They'd been promising viewers and creators a site update since 2010 or so... 2014 ... Michaud then goes and buys a $100 theme off Themeforest or wherever and pushes it out with the domain name change to channelawesome.com.

I just want to put that timeline into context.

Phelan brought me on to rebuild his website in (checks emails) aboot July 2014.

After a bunch of design, coding, back-and-forth, testing and such, the site went live on 9/29. A soft "Phase II" was ongoing (bug fixes, feature adds, etc) until roughly January 2015.

The site has:
- Easy posting of video (just paste the link, embeds are taken care of), including scheduling
- Support for multiple authors-- Phelan, Allison, AWD, Sad Panda, Welshy-- but a small redesign of the top menu and it can be an unlimited number
- Each author has a good amount of control over their own space-- when and what to publish, their own bio, etc
- Home page featuring. Comments. Moderation. Everything.

Oh, and that whole domain name change quoted above-- Phelan's site switched from DroopyPaul to a customized Wordpress. So of course all the URLs are different. But as part of the design of the new site, I made sure that:

1) All old posts were transferred over (including all comments)
2) A URL redirect program was in place that, if someone hits an old URL, they are perma-redirected to the new URL. No broken links, and web indexers are happy
3) All user accounts were transferred over (seamless change for end users)

Compare this to the channelawesome switchover which broke every single link they had. A+.

So when I hear of a site that's the same order of magnitude of complexity taking loving 4+ YEARS to poo poo out a stock-template site-- grr.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kim Justice posted:

Just...what. WHAT

How did these people ever make a cent of money

DAN

Please tell me

Drug front?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
All this poo poo is fascinating, I've only been peripherally aware of Channel Awesome/Nostalgia Critic and I kinda wish I was paying more attention if all this had been going down the whole time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Slowly going through that Phelous/Brad/Allion commentary, and it's really savage in the best way.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Slowly going through that Phelous/Brad/Allion commentary, and it's really savage in the best way.

yeah its real good

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Such an extreme trainwreck.

https://twitter.com/gookygox/status/974871593414545408

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

https://twitter.com/gookygox/status/974867876225191941

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

New Night Mind, about what seems to be a very generic serial killer series called My Dad's Tapes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JxjJxAlEcQ

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

:eyepop: Jesus, who was Mike Ellis again?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
He was apparently the COO until 2011, I don't know if they ever gave a concrete reason for him being fired.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Linear Zoetrope posted:

He was apparently the COO until 2011, I don't know if they ever gave a concrete reason for him being fired.
Thanks, the name seemed sorta familiar so I looked him up. According to the That Guy With the Glasses Wiki :eng101: (which exists, because of course it does) apparently he was with Michaud as the "business" startup. http://thatguywiththeglasses.wikia.com/wiki/Mike_Ellis also along with the guy who used to cosplay as a Captain Planeteer.

"His most note-worthy appearances have been as a clinical psychologist in the Lori Prince Live videos and as a dirty-minded on-looker of the muddy girl-fight in the Mortal Kombat: Annihilation review"

http://thatguywiththeglasses.wikia.com/wiki/Bhargav_Dronamraju

I'm not surprised the company was terrible at actually managing with this three in charge, but may word the two Mikes are genuinely scummy.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

This is certainly an image. I envision the guy with the sword being played by, I dunno, Andy Milonakis or something.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Drug front?

I mean...christ. Has to be. Letting an already poo poo filming space sit unused for TWENTY months? Why not just cut out the middleman and throw the money into a woodchipper?

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 17, 2018

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
What the gently caress is wrong with people???
https://twitter.com/Obscurus_Lupa/status/974772413497073665
:psyduck:

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Just passed 100 subscribers so I'm pretty sure the megabux are going to start rolling in at any moment

Here's a video I made on the film Personal Shopper, and how it portrays grief (and ghosts!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxJR_r-8W7w

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

"to be a bother"

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

They don't go outside

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The tweet near the end of the thread is just golden

https://twitter.com/gookygox/status/974879076610727936

https://twitter.com/gookygox/status/974879227148472320

Doug Walker accidentally maced himself because he's an idiot :allears:

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
“Oops”

Jesus loving Christ, some people...

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

All this talk of NC and Blip made me nostalgic (heh) for the Retsupurae of Doug Walker that was on Blip for some reason. Its been uploaded on YouTube by some random channel,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mlst5OhXAY

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you want to see internet people setting up their own studio space done right, have a look at what LoadingReadyRun have managed with their latest Moonbase; They've got three studios and have made really amazing use of limited space for a lot of different streamed shows. Even with the move being funded by Patreon backers (or a donation drive, I can't remember which off the top of my head) because they lost the lease on the old location, pretty sure they managed it all for a lot less than whatever amount got set fire to for the Channel Awesome warehouse that is mostly vacant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI-84tGhFyU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

LGR has a real nice setup for the vids he does, he goes into it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLmhCdkibbM

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

nine-gear crow posted:

The tweet near the end of the thread is just golden

https://twitter.com/gookygox/status/974879076610727936

https://twitter.com/gookygox/status/974879227148472320

Doug Walker accidentally maced himself because he's an idiot :allears:

the image of Doug macing himself with blowback is fantastic and also the most Doug way to get hurt

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

FoldableHuman posted:

Here's the Brad pilot. Brace yourself, it's an exhausting 31 minutes. No one but Michaud wanted to release it. There's five other "test" episodes and four "real" episodes that were never posted, but the "tests" were all, somehow, bad enough that even Michaud didn't think they should be put up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klPkGfHAxqU

That is some terrible camerawork I can see why they didn't want it released. There's eleven episodes on the Channel Awesome Youtube channel and they don't seem to have gotten better.

EDIT:

That get's impressively worse the more it goes on. I can't believe Lupa has to deal with stuff like this

bessantj fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 17, 2018

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

"This person is saying that TGWTG did bad things. But I love TGWTG! How can I continue to enjoy TGWTG, knowing that they did bad things?" plus the internet's hosed up parasocial relationship thing. Just your bog-standard attempt to relieve cognitive dissonance by attacking the messenger.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There’s an endless stream of those morons asking Allison specifically for permission to keep enjoying Doug Walker’s dumb screaming.

I can kind of almost understand it when the dirtbag is a real artist like Miles Davis or even just a person who might have played an important role in someone’s youthful identity formation like Bill Murray or Joss Whedon. But Doug? I’m actually kind of relieved that he’s poo poo because otherwise I might feel kind of guilty about bagging on him if he were at least a decent person.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I Before E posted:

New Night Mind, about what seems to be a very generic serial killer series called My Dad's Tapes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JxjJxAlEcQ

drat good margarita

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
"I've got an idea! What if I were to dig up Lupa's phone number and start harassing her into giving me permission to watch Nostalgia Critic videos, that'll get rid of this pesky guilt!"

:psyboom:

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Alacron posted:

"I've got an idea! What if I were to dig up Lupa's phone number and start harassing her into giving me permission to watch Nostalgia Critic videos, that'll get rid of this pesky guilt!"

:psyboom:

It’s lovely but I’m pretty sure that’s a Twitter dm. Which is slightly less creepy

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

new amazing video from the best video game critic in the industry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt3fN4UozmM

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I feel like Lindsay's Orson Scott Card video is applicable to the people asking for allison's permission to stop liking Doug. You can enjoy his content while acknowledging he is a garbage human being. I actually started thinking about this when I asked about gggmanlives, since I think it was a mistake to ask ahead of time if he's done some heinous poo poo.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
There's a bit of a difference between "does this artist hold bad personal views that are maybe implicated in hiswork" and "does this artist use his videos to express bad views".

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

There's a bit of a difference between "does this artist hold bad personal views that are maybe implicated in hiswork" and "does this artist use his videos to express bad views".

In both cases you are funding a bad person through your actions. Even if it's not your money, you are earning that person funding to continue being a lovely rear end in a top hat.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

PASS THE MASH posted:

It’s lovely but I’m pretty sure that’s a Twitter dm. Which is slightly less creepy

oh :downs:

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Yes but there's also the added layer of "supporting this persons work supports their lifestyle." Mother's Basement's video on this subject dives into this more, but short version is that the Walkers and Michaud wouldn't have even have had the opportunity to be this lovely if they weren't making a living off of their videos. You can "Love the work, hate the jerk" with Ender's Game, but paying money for the book or movie or whatever gives OSC royalties which are inevitably going to go into anti-gay rights groups.

Ultimately it comes down to what's stronger, your enjoyment of the work or your distaste for supporting a crappy person. And when you pick enjoyment, it can lead to really skeezy situations like the celebrities who are trying to get a pardon for Roman Polanski.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Alacron posted:

oh :downs:

Yes but there's also the added layer of "supporting this persons work supports their lifestyle." Mother's Basement's video on this subject dives into this more, but short version is that the Walkers and Michaud wouldn't have even have had the opportunity to be this lovely if they weren't making a living off of their videos. You can "Love the work, hate the jerk" with Ender's Game, but paying money for the book or movie or whatever gives OSC royalties which are inevitably going to go into anti-gay rights groups.

Ultimately it comes down to what's stronger, your enjoyment of the work or your distaste for supporting a crappy person. And when you pick enjoyment, it can lead to really skeezy situations like the celebrities who are trying to get a pardon for Roman Polanski.

On the other hand,

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

You don't have to pay anything to watch a youtube video, though. And if you want to read a book without giving the author money you can just pick it up secondhand.

I agree that nobody should watch Doug's videos, but that's just because they're terrible.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
By owning the modern electronics needed to post you've already given money to people way worse than any YouTube chud.

I don't hold a grudge against anybody who wants to limit the harm they do but it's effectively impossible to enjoy any modern entertainment without directly or indirectly supporting scum.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I personally support only the most regressive media, which is medieval romance and UVF songs.

• Locked thread