Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Athens (Greece, not Georgia) had one based on Schindler's List

Also one called Guantanamo. I've been in that one, it's not bad. Minus the connontations, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

This American Life did a segment on a simulated illegal border crossing. Not exactly an escape room, but ...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GWBBQ posted:

This American Life did a segment on a simulated illegal border crossing. Not exactly an escape room, but ...

There's been a couple escape rooms and extreme haunts that simulate kidnapping. I really wanted to go to one in Brooklyn where you basically got tied up and thrown in a warehouse with other actors and had to use your limited time between the kidnappers grabbing other "victims" to kill to try and free yourself and escape.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I remember a few faux-outrage pieces in a couple of newspapers about that, several years back. Lot of fuss about people paying to kidnap each other but hiding behind foreign law. :argh:

I don't think many bothered pointing out how it was all simulated, (meant to be) highly regulated, and you weren't throwing money at a black van to pick your friends off the street.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
...are there regulations on the "fake kidnapping" industry?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I imagine there was more to it than lawless youths having an alternative to happy slapping, at least. :v:

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Doggles posted:

My initial thought was that maybe this was a good fake, but no, in looking more into Fiverr I'm more convinced this is real.

Found a post from Fiverr's blog using that same photo: Gig Economy News: Year of Do

An excerpt:

EDIT:

Looks like that's not the only poster!

https://twitter.com/b_cavello/status/839876313473150976

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/10/people-are-not-pleased-with-fiverrs-deeply-depressing-advert-6500359/

So this is like a hip version of that car ad with American family high-fiving each other because they only need 2 weeks of vacation unlike weak Europeans.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Strudel Man posted:

...are there regulations on the "fake kidnapping" industry?

You sign a waiver before anything occurs and they can’t do anything like kill or permanently mutilate you.

Look up McKamey Manor if you want to see just how far people will go for extreme situations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Someone at snapchat approved this ad:

I don't get how this is supposed to be a difficult choice, is there anyone in the world who wouldn't rather punch Chris Brown

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Chris Brown

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Malaver posted:

So this is like a hip version of that car ad with American family high-fiving each other because they only need 2 weeks of vacation unlike weak Europeans.

August? They take the whole month of August!

And that’s why we made it to the moon.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I don't get how this is supposed to be a difficult choice, is there anyone in the world who wouldn't rather punch Chris Brown

My top choice would be for Chris Brown to have a road-to-Damascus kind of moment in which he realizes that he’s done some truly monstrous things, and that while he can’t change the past, he can dedicate his resources to helping victims of abuse find peace and stability, and helping abusers find the tools to become better people

but if I only have the two options, then yeah, it’s barely even a choice; Mr. Brown’s eating a haymaker

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Phlegmish posted:

Poptart Fairy apparently

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
How sexual can the slap be, though?

Also same about the fisting.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Phlegmish posted:

There are, depressingly, people who think Brown did nothing wrong, just like there are people who want to free Oscar Pistorius. For a lot of people it's better to double down and deny reality than to admit that the target of their fandom is imperfect in any way.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
There are also plenty of people who think it's OK that Chris Brown did what he did because he can sing songs good. If you asked them if someone else who did the same things should be locked up, they would probably say yes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

chitoryu12 posted:

Is United just hiring sociopaths, or do all flight attendants turn into that at some point?

Air travel makes me mildly sociopathic just upon arrival at the airport so I'm not surprised it happens to cabin crew at a more severe level over time.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Anybody interested in a hamawk?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2oldQIjBpM

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
What a scam. I was expecting a hawk made of ham, and I am sorely disappointed at your dishonesty, sir.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Memento posted:

There are also plenty of people who think it's OK that Chris Brown did what he did because he can sing songs good. If you asked them if someone else who did the same things should be locked up, they would probably say yes.

Also people that think it consisted of a drunken punch or something, rather than him actually trying to kill her.

(Not that beating your partner is ever justified of course)

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
There would be nothing morally wrong with putting Chris Brown down in the street, like a diseased dog.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

The best take on Chris Brown will always be this one.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Apparently Snapchats shares dropped by 5% after Rihanna asked her Instagram followers to delete the app!
So there’s that making it an even stupider move in marketing for them.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Helith posted:

Apparently Snapchats shares dropped by 5% after Rihanna asked her Instagram followers to delete the app!
So there’s that making it an even stupider move in marketing for them.

They recently lost a lot of shares because Kylie Jenner asked whether anyone is still using it anymore. It turns out the answer is “no” since the app made a lot of recent changes that left users confused and they went back to Instagram or whatever else is easier to use.

Obviously Kylie using Snapchat to show her daughter’s face to the world did not help much.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

This is mesmerizing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The MSJ posted:

They recently lost a lot of shares because Kylie Jenner asked whether anyone is still using it anymore. It turns out the answer is “no” since the app made a lot of recent changes that left users confused and they went back to Instagram or whatever else is easier to use.

Obviously Kylie using Snapchat to show her daughter’s face to the world did not help much.

Yeah, they hosed up Snapchat. It used to be that you'd press an icon on the right side of the screen to see Stories (where people would post snippets of their lives, and companies or celebrities could do the same) and press an icon on the left side of the screen to see individual snaps sent to you. It was like this for years and pretty intuitive after a day or so.

Then they decided to have the stories accessed by the icon on the right side only be public stories that anyone could see (mainly giving you a giant block of celebrities and new media companies, with a handful of friends who set their stuff to public) and you'd have to go to the individual snap page to see stories for any of your other friends, all mixed in with their privately sent snaps to you. They did the update without telling anyone they were doing it or what the changes were, so you just logged in and suddenly everything was swapped around. It was like showing up on a forum to post and finding that all the buttons had been mirrored. Almost all of my friends gave up on using it immediately.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I have absolutely no idea how to do anything in Snapchat other than take a picture and send it to people. The UI has been offensively bad as long as I can remember and all I can do is tap and swipe randomly in the hope that I'll find what I'm looking for.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

GWBBQ posted:

I have absolutely no idea how to do anything in Snapchat other than take a picture and send it to people. The UI has been offensively bad as long as I can remember and all I can do is tap and swipe randomly in the hope that I'll find what I'm looking for.

That's what I do on tinder.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Isn't Snapchat mainly used as a means of sending nudes while using a plausible deniability of it being a social media platform?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shnag posted:

Isn't Snapchat mainly used as a means of sending nudes while using a plausible deniability of it being a social media platform?

Yep.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I went to a housewarming party (in San Francisco) and at some point during the party, everyone got on their phones and started to snapchat to each other, the other people in the party. This was somehow what convinced me that I finally needed to get out of the SF Bay Area. That and spending more than half my take home on rent.

That's my Snapchat story (but not Story™), thanks for listening.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Someone you know was able to afford a house there?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I guess it would be an apartmentrentingwarming party, but that sounds weird. I know of homeowners, but they either bought outside of SF proper (a lot in San Mateo) or they bought their house like 20 years ago.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't give up on Snap just yet. It's still massively popular with teenagers and not only for sending nudes. These same kids hate Facebook. They do use Instagram, but I think Snap is still preferred for most of their communication. When all your friends use a platform, you don't necessarily change just because a Jenner tells you to.

That said Snap has no business being a public company or having a valuation in the tens of billions. Same probably goes for Twitter. Some companies are useful despite the fact they will never grow past a certain size or make that much money.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah, I teach high school, and the kids are on snapchat pretty much all the drat time. They get very animated when they think they might lose a streak on snapchat (even though as far as I can tell, losing a streak doesnt do anything at all except the number next to the friends name goes away). I've heard them talk about instagram occasionally, and many of them apparently have youtube channels, but they almost never mention facebook. What killed facebook for them I think is pretty simple; Their parents are on facebook, and no teenager wants their parents to be completely up on every aspect of their lives. Also snapchat is more convenient for cyberbullying.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I must have gotten lucky on that my parents are on Facebook but I've never been asked to friend them. They want to stay away from my cyberlife

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

My sister unfriended her mother-in-law and almost started a war lol

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

Yeah, I teach high school, and the kids are on snapchat pretty much all the drat time. They get very animated when they think they might lose a streak on snapchat (even though as far as I can tell, losing a streak doesnt do anything at all except the number next to the friends name goes away). I've heard them talk about instagram occasionally, and many of them apparently have youtube channels, but they almost never mention facebook. What killed facebook for them I think is pretty simple; Their parents are on facebook, and no teenager wants their parents to be completely up on every aspect of their lives. Also snapchat is more convenient for cyberbullying.

My kid could care less if we take her phone as long as we let her log onto some device by 9pm every night so she can rapidly send 60 selfies to keep her streaks going.

She's about to discover her next social network Twitch because of Fortnite. It's like watching your child grow and mature through a progression of milestones and you just know the next stage is calling people homos online.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 20:29 on Mar 17, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Krispy Wafer posted:

My kid could care less if we take her phone as long as we let her log onto some device by 9pm every night so she can rapidly send 60 selfies to keep her streaks going.

My kid is about to discover her next social networkTwitch because of Fortnite. It's like watching your child grow and mature through a progression of milestones and you just know the next stage is calling people homos online.

Makes sense, in my day it was Xbox live. At least now you don't have to buy a system, game, and online account you just turn on twitch and let it do the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Len posted:

I must have gotten lucky on that my parents are on Facebook but I've never been asked to friend them. They want to stay away from my cyberlife

Your parents are swingers.

:ms:

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 22:57 on Mar 17, 2018