Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
And even then it's often more of a stoic acceptance of your replaceable nature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Turns out Firefly was a spaghetti western all along

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

you may not be an american by birth but you sure have a very american way of dealing with things you don't understand
:boom:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

And this isn't even getting into the fact that Reavers are basically coded to be incredibly clumsy Native American surrogates what with being a raiding party that strikes backwater planets at random and cannot be negotiated with.

"But they're actually caused by a pacification drug that either makes people lazy themselves to death or in rare circumstances become psychopathic murderers that were caused by Alliance experimentation" yes good you are correct, this means that the Native American raiding parties drunk on murder and sexual menace were caused by the Union all along, you cracked the code, the South did nothing wrong.

Whedon writing!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm still surprised that Whedon didn't just call the pacification drug firewater.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
This is why every "lost cause" narrative should be based on the Spanish Civil War, but the symbols to code for that conflict aren't widely recognized.

Genuinely curious if there are any good games based on asymmetrical underdog conflicts, ie Colonial Twilight for the Battle of Algiers

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

This is why every "lost cause" narrative should be based on the Spanish Civil War, but the symbols to code for that conflict aren't widely recognized.

Genuinely curious if there are any good games based on asymmetrical underdog conflicts, ie Colonial Twilight for the Battle of Algiers

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The Malthusian posted:

I really wish that conquistador game was just about Mexico natives monster- huntering dragons without Europeans in it at all.

I'd also like to see more games with this approach. It's hard to do narratives reflecting historical imperialism/colonialism tastefully, and I'm not convinced those narratives are interesting enough to justify the effort, compared to other stories you can have your games tell.

A game I like in this regard is How We Came to Live Here, which is basically an Anasazi fantasy game and states in its introduction "your people are the People; no other humans are ever going to show up in this world." It gets that out of the way pretty fast so it can move on to storytelling about the culture it's really focused on.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just take the MtG Ixilan setting and run that. Dinosaur riding natives versus Vampire conquistadors

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Xelkelvos posted:

Just take the MtG Ixilan setting and run that. Dinosaur riding natives versus Vampire conquistadors

A lot of the work for that has already been done.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

There's Ambush Alley, which is all about asymmetrical combat in the form of "professional military versus irregulars". The main example of this is the US military against Taliban, but it works for (and has guidelines to cover) basically everything. Very modern day, though, wouldn't work at all for anything pre-WW2 at the absolute earliest. The rules are pretty solid for that, although your mileage may vary on how well you think it handled the subject matter.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Would OGRE count? It certainly feels like an underdog conflict when facing the OGREs, at least.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

This is literally the COIN (COunter-INsurgency) series from GMT. The scenarios vary, but they're all one player taking the part of a government while the others play insurgent factions. Example: Andean Abyss, which pits the Colombian government against FARC, the AUC and the cartels.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Days of Ire in which you play as student activists against the Soviet government in Budapest, 1956. They’re kickstarting a sequel in which you try to escape from the subsequent full military crackdown.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

fr0id posted:

Days of Ire in which you play as student activists against the Soviet government in Budapest, 1956. They’re kickstarting a sequel in which you try to escape from the subsequent full military crackdown.

Um, communists would never do anything bad

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

fr0id posted:

The kickstarter is almost over as well, would recommend checking out Nights of Fire if you haven't already :)

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I just got a free Breakfast Cult expansion in my email inbox. Who knew it was still being worked on?!
(I did and I'm very keen.)

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Cassa posted:

I just got a free Breakfast Cult expansion in my email inbox. Who knew it was still being worked on?!
(I did and I'm very keen.)

Me too!

"Hey, a Breakfast Cult expansion! Cool! Do I get--"
"Hey, a coupon for the Breakfast Cult expansion!"

It's been a good morning.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I had totally forgotten about it so it was a very neat surprise. Sounds like a fun expansion too.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
My wife saw this and got extremely excited:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hannahshaffer/good-dog-bad-zombie-a-cooperative-board-game

Is there a verdict on it? Good / bad / dumb ?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hannahshaffer/good-dog-bad-zombie-a-cooperative-board-game

Given it's use of "hooman", we can safely say bad

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Muscle Goblins from one of the KoW facebook groups

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

The game doesn't appeal to me at all, but Hannah Shaffer has designed some neat RPGs so she probably knows what's up?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Savage Tokusatsu has the best videos for a KS ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS5KLqLD_RE

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Mechanically looks alright but too cloying after reading all that for me. Since she doesn't mind the theme probably a safe bet.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

potatocubed posted:

The game doesn't appeal to me at all, but Hannah Shaffer has designed some neat RPGs so she probably knows what's up?

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Mechanically looks alright but too cloying after reading all that for me. Since she doesn't mind the theme probably a safe bet.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Steamforged Games are having a St. Patrick's day sale, this includes late pledges for Resident Evil 2 - the board game.

I didn't look into it back when it was on Kickstarter, but after having gotten into Guild Ball I know these guys are capable of writing great rules, so this opportunity was perfect for me.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Dark Souls, their other board game, is not something that would convince me to kickstart any of their other board games going forward.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

S.J. posted:

Dark Souls, their other board game, is not something that would convince me to kickstart any of their other board games going forward.
Yeah, and combine that with the fact that (for me) I already have too many zombie miniature games. I know, it's Resident Evil, but at this point, I need some plastic toys that are different from my other plastic toys.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Why is it 2? Gimme a modular mansion with a big sweet staircase main iconic room

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

Why is it 2? Gimme a modular mansion with a big sweet staircase main iconic room

Get a copy of Mansions of Madness.

Okay, so it's not Resident Evil, but modular mansion with big sweet staircase, check.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, and combine that with the fact that (for me) I already have too many zombie miniature games. I know, it's Resident Evil, but at this point, I need some plastic toys that are different from my other plastic toys.

As good a point as any to mention that The Gods War has opened up to late backers again for a limited time.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
How much is that like Chaos in the Old World?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Cassa posted:

How much is that like Chaos in the Old World?

If it's like Cthulhu Wars, there are definite similarities, but CW is more about achievement hunting than actual area control. That is, each faction has its own set of goals (e.g., occupy territories, occupy gates, capture cultists, etc) such that conflict doesn't necessarily arise from a shared pot of points, although some of this does happen, but from either pursuing your own goals or stopping someone else's. Combat is also a lot rarer, since you generally don't want to engage unless you're getting something for it, and only a few factions really get something out of it.

I like it, and feel that it neither surpasses nor is surpassed by CitOW. It is, however, loving expensive, so where you stand on vanity miniatures (and it's ridiculous to think that the figures are anything but) is up to you and your budget.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
So they're doing a TMNT Munchkin kickstarter. I'm assuming its just Munchkin with a TMNT skin. Brings me to my question - Is munchkin any fun? I don't have a copy and if I was going to get one this would probably be my best bet.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

MrFlibble posted:

Brings me to my question - Is munchkin any fun?

No.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

MrFlibble posted:

Is munchkin any fun?

Absolutely not. Avoid at all cost.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I considered that KS for a second, but then I remembered it was Munchkin. Hopefully we'll get more actually good games like Shadows of the Past.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

MrFlibble posted:

So they're doing a TMNT Munchkin kickstarter. I'm assuming its just Munchkin with a TMNT skin. Brings me to my question - Is munchkin any fun? I don't have a copy and if I was going to get one this would probably be my best bet.

No. It's terrible pick on the leader luck bullshit.

Every. Single. Game. Will end with one person about to win, everyone burning all their resources to stop it, and the next person saying. "Well. I guess I win".

It's a terrible wet fart of a take-that game.

My favorite episode of TMNT was the one where Raph was going to beat shredder but then Donatello was like, nope that'll be too many radical pizza points, and canceled his attack. That was so epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
I played it for the first and hopefully last time a week or so ago, it's extremely bad