Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

I knew they'd have to recast the role very soon, given that CM is about to start filming, but I didn't think it'd be the day after news of Wise leaving broke. Wonder how these things work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Barry Convex posted:

I knew they'd have to recast the role very soon, given that CM is about to start filming, but I didn't think it'd be the day after news of Wise leaving broke. Wonder how these things work.

It’s possible she had already auditioned and made the shortlist before Wise was ultimately cast.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

New Wave Jose posted:

Or Loki. Get Help!

I said MONTHS ago that this was how they'd defeat Thanos.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Barry Convex posted:

Yeah they record the auditions and have their notes from them.

So as soon as they found out they needed ri make a change they review their notes and make a call.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mr Hootington posted:

cap better lift a hammer.

He's been training with helicopters.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Man, every single scene in Infinity War seems like it could be the climax of a film.

I think the whole "Hela is a stand-in for Death" specurumors only got as much traction as it did because Thor: Ragnarok hadn't been released yet; if you look at that character in that film, there's no way she fits the Death persona.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Yeah, they would have to have some kind of history together and she was not depicted as the "ruler of the underworld" she is in the comics.

Shouldn't Than-"the tin can"-ose have the red stone as well? I could have sworn we'd already seen a brief clip of him standing on the collector. I guess it could be on his thumb, I'm not sure we get a good shot of it

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I was just thinking, since we have no idea where the Soul Stone is, what if that becomes a plot point? Good guys trying to find out where the stone is before Thanos can? Maybe that's a major plot in the next movie or something.

I've kept thinking that we'll be told where it is, like all the other stones. But what if it's just everyone going "WHERE THE gently caress IS THIS STONE?" and it turns out some frost troll was using it as a paperweight.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Soul stone is on that orange planet from the first trailer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pussy Quipped posted:

Orange planet could also be Soul World.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pussy Quipped posted:

That planet has already been confirmed to be Titan. Also seems to be the place that Star-Lord, Dr. Strange, Spidey, and Iron Man fight Thanos.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Rhyno posted:

Orange planet could also be Soul World.

For some reason I read this post and September immediately began playing in my head

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Codependent Poster posted:

That planet has already been confirmed to be Titan. Also seems to be the place that Star-Lord, Dr. Strange, Spidey, and Iron Man fight Thanos.
So maybe that portal thing over NYC opens to Titan? It seems like a planet full of wreckage of some kinds of interstellar vehicles or something. We also see a bunch of Titans in that brief shot of a younger Gamora with Thanos.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just baited a guy into calling Black Panther a "negro power fantasy."

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Rhyno posted:

ok

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

It was wonderful.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

Lurdiak posted:

I didn't say they stopped making money, I just think people are slightly less excited about it all in general.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/974758573031923712

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Oh, man, the superhero movie bubble is gonna pop this time for sure!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh, man, the superhero movie bubble is gonna pop this time for sure!
It probably will eventually, I'm just glad it didn't happen for Black Panther! The problem is that "no man shall know the film nor the market." Could be in 2022.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Suckered myself into going to the 6pm Thursday showing that comes with a collectible coin and supposedly some other special stuff.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sounds like it's gonna be a flop

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The genre has peaked. I mean, how do you top Justice League?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Well it seems I'm wrong.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

Sounds like it's gonna be a flop

For a coin? That should be flip.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Rhyno posted:

I mean those aren't exactly the words I would use but isn't that why we all like it? Because finally someone other than white dudes gets to have a "power fantasy".

Or was he implying that Black people don't have any power and that makes Black Panther somehow less realistic than say Iron Man or Doctor Strange?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

The moon of Saturn or some alien world?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I mean those aren't exactly the words I would use but isn't that why we all like it? Because finally someone other than white dudes gets to have a "power fantasy".

Or was he implying that Black people don't have any power and that makes Black Panther somehow less realistic than say Iron Man or Doctor Strange?

He was definitely belittling the people that the film is inspiring. Before he blocked me I saw some posts he made claiming that wearing BP merch was the same as announcing allegiance to the BP Party. He's a special fella.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MH Knights posted:

The moon of Saturn or some alien world?

It’s saturn’s moon in the comics, but I’m pretty sure the MCU version is just some alien world.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Rhyno posted:

...announcing allegiance to the BP Party....

As if this was a bad thing.

Well I hope for the sake of the internet he's mad at you enough to take a break from it.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Rhyno posted:

The genre has peaked. I mean, how do you top Justice League?

Roger Corman's Fantastic Four?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I see Black Panther took a pretty steep drop in China in its second week. Not quite as big as TLJ (which I believe had a 94% drop in its second week) but still pretty big (88% is the figure I've seen).

I doubt it's necessarily a poor reflection on audiences in China; if you look at the most successful movies worldwide so far this year, about half of them are Chinese (and Indian) pictures, which leads me to assume that it's just a case of very strong homegrown competition having more appeal than big American releases.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Well, that, and it's a very powerful movie that stirs the audience's feelings on a topic that most Chinese are probably completely unaware of. Like, racism in China is a thing and all, but not the same kind, and pretty much all the actual specifics of what happens in the movie most likely have no resonance for them at all.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Also there was no Chinese star cameo, was there? Like that scientist in some of the Iron Man and Avengers movie.

Edit: who could Jackie Chan play in the MCU?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I don't know if this was posted in the Marvel Thread because I don't follow it, but it is somewhat relevant to movies: The Dora Milaje are getting a 3-issues team-up mini series

Chill Penguin posted:

Also there was no Chinese star cameo, was there? Like that scientist in some of the Iron Man and Avengers movie.

If that well wasn't poisoned, one of the ancient Iron Fists

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah it took about 10 years longer than movie critics assumed but I think everyone's getting a little fatigued by superheroes.

I'm not.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Chill Penguin posted:

Just make The Tuxedo canon and put him in The Avengers.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Chill Penguin posted:

Do actual Chinese people who don't work for the Bureau Of Ridiculous Schemes To Make Our Nation Look Important even care about that?

I would have assumed they filed it in the same place in their brain that Americans file Trump's military parade and tried hard to ignore it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I believe Kevin Feige has said they aren't doing those any more since it doesn't seem to matter and Chinese audiences are just watching their movies anyway.

Enishidono
Mar 10, 2018

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah it took about 10 years longer than movie critics assumed but I think everyone's getting a little fatigued by superheroes.

Bah, as much as I hate to admit it, I'm not wholly tired of this genre yet....somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chill Penguin posted:

Master Pandemonium.

• Locked thread