Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

"Port" has the same amount of letters as "left", and both "right" and "starboard" have more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

mojo1701a posted:

"Port" has the same amount of letters as "left", and both "right" and "starboard" have more.

Whoa. Mind blown.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mojo1701a posted:

citation needed

e: nm found one

Ferrule posted:

Port and Left both have four letters.

Right and Starboard have more letters.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 18:30 on Mar 16, 2018

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

If you look at a boat there will be a board with stars on it on the right side.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Also port is mostly red and so is the portside light on a boat. The starboard one is green, like the stars in the sky.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
If you think port is left,
at sea you are deft.
If you think left is starboard,
a falsehood you've harbored.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Stuff You Can't Believe You Just Figured Out: Questionable mnemonics itt. Again.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Starboard is Right
Sailor’s delight
Facing away from the wheel
Sailors take warning

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
that's why they named it porto rico, it's to the left of rico.

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'
Until 1844 Portugal was known as Leftugal.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

knife_of_justice posted:

Until 1844 Portugal was known as Leftugal.

genuine chuckle from this one, thank you

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

What's a city in Spain got to do with boats?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That's nobody's business but the stoats.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The boats in Spain float solely on the coast.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Whiz Palace posted:

Stuff You Can't Believe You Just Figured Out: Questionable mnemonics itt. Again.

The port/left= 4 letters thing has been my go to for a while

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
I just figured out that even though I've taken a boating safety course, I should probably do a refresh before boating season because I somehow had "red = starboard" in my head.

In my defense, I just moved back to a place with actual water after living in the middle of a desert for 4 years.

wezmon
Dec 31, 2007
My dad taught me the mnemonic "There's a little red port left". Never gotten it mixed up since.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I can't believe how many sailors post here

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

My dad taught me Red, Right, Returning so I wouldn't run aground coming into port at night. But that referred to the harbor lights, not the ship's.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

EX250 Type R posted:

I can't believe how many sailors post here

These are good things to know. It's a stern lesson and you should bow to their nautical knowledge. It could prove to be a real lifesaver one day.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

JoelJoel posted:

These are good things to know. It's a stern lesson and you should bow to their nautical knowledge. It could prove to be a real lifesaver one day.

Thanks for keeping me on an even keel.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

rydiafan posted:

My dad taught me Red, Right, Returning so I wouldn't run aground coming into port at night. But that referred to the harbor lights, not the ship's.

It's also wrong if you live outside north America :)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

EX250 Type R posted:

Thanks for keeping me on an even keel.

Something something Keelhull.

Also, keelhulling was pretty much a torture death sentence by drowning and maiming, with death by blood loss, trauma or infections if you survived going under a ship from bow to stern with a hull covered in barnacles and splintered wood.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

MariusLecter posted:

Something something Keelhull.
Is that a British spelling?

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
^^^ It's definitely "keelhaul", as in they are being hauled along the keel (the "spine" of the ship, running along the bottom center). I can see how you he got to keelhull though.

Aphrodite posted:

A port of a game is usually worse than the original, and left handed people are like worse versions of normal people.

Mr. Bad Guy has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Mar 17, 2018

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

^^^ It's definitely "keelhaul", as in they are being hauled along the keel (the "spine" of the ship, running along the bottom center). I can see how you got to keelhull though.

I know, and I'm not the one who wrote keelhull.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Flyball posted:

I know, and I'm not the one who wrote keelhull.

Sure you did:

Flyball posted:

keelhull.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

There was an old Far Side comic in which some pirate was diagramming the sentence "I will keel-haul you," and I really liked the sound of that sentence despite not knowing what it meant (other than that it sounded like a threat, but a sort of goofy one), so I went around saying it to people, until a horrified and angry social studies teacher made me look up and write a short report on what keel-hauling actually was, at which point :stonk:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Pastry of the Year posted:

until a horrified and angry social studies teacher made me look up and write a short report on what keel-hauling actually was

...did the teacher think you were actually gonna do it or something?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

He was offended on behalf of the many people who have lost loved ones due to the practice of keelhauling.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

...did the teacher think you were actually gonna do it or something?

I spent 7th grade on a merchant marine vessel in the mid-1500s, so... maybe?

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Pastry of the Year posted:

I spent 7th grade on a merchant marine vessel in the mid-1500s, so... maybe?

Both parents were Queen Elizabeth (long story), had the words "Maritime Law" instead of a mouth...

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The smoking hot villain-turned-love-interest from Zardoz (which I watched today for the first time front to back), Charlotte Rampling, is the same actress as the headmaster lady from Red Sparrow (which I just watched recently).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh poo poo, it was "goggley-eyed," not "googley-eyed."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZavYMVXYam8&t=383s

(6m25s if it doesn't auto-skip)

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

The port/left= 4 letters thing has been my go to for a while

That one is legit, but the dozen posters flailing in after it with stupid fake ones, not so much.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Porty tighty, lefty starboardly.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Whiz Palace posted:

That one is legit, but the dozen posters flailing in after it with stupid fake ones, not so much.

How dare you

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Whiz Palace posted:

settle down, Beavace

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
I just found out that the lovely Dax on DS9 is actually Bahb's girlfriend Laura from Kids in the Hall.

e: Oh gently caress! And also the nerd girl from Cube!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

XeeD posted:

I just found out that the lovely Dax on DS9 is actually Bahb's girlfriend Laura from Kids in the Hall.

e: Oh gently caress! And also the nerd girl from Cube!

Wait what? Terry Farrell?