Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Dodoman posted:

If you don't want to spend any money Plume is free and has a widget

Nope, don't see a widget in the list.

Edit: It supposedly does support widgets, but how do you activate them?

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

is there a web broswer with the address bar at the bottom? Chrome just killed this and its a bit of a deal breaker for me.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CalvinandHobbes posted:

is there a web broswer with the address bar at the bottom? Chrome just killed this and its a bit of a deal breaker for me.

I think you can turn it on in the chrome flags. Look for the Chrome Home flag

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

mcbexx posted:

Nope, don't see a widget in the list.

Edit: It supposedly does support widgets, but how do you activate them?

Long press on the home screen -> widgets, or however it works on your launcher.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Dodoman posted:

Long press on the home screen -> widgets, or however it works on your launcher.

I know how to access the widget list, thanks :shrug:
It's just that it does not contain any entries for Plume.
Goes from "Play Music" to "Pushbullet", no "Plume" (I also checked the whole list in case it was for some reason slotted in out of alphabetical order).

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

mcbexx posted:

Goes from "Play Music" to "Pushbullet", no "Plume" (I also checked the whole list in case it was for some reason slotted in out of alphabetical order).

Perhaps you need the premium version? Widgets are often something I see as a perk.

edit: Though the regular description does say it comes with widgets and I guess premium just removes ads.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

nimper posted:

I think you can turn it on in the chrome flags. Look for the Chrome Home flag

this used to be the case but google removed that option even from chrome beta.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Bottom bar is working for me right now. :shrug:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

mcbexx posted:

I know how to access the widget list, thanks :shrug:

Sorry man I didn't mean to be rude, I wasn't sure about the post. It's weird that it's not showing up on your device and I don't really have an explanation.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ah goddamnit, the bottom bar has dissapeared for me now too

Google :argh:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I want a decent graphing calculator for my Pixel 2. Ideally I'd be best served by an exact copy of the TI-84 but anything that would be good for math and statistics tutoring would be work checking into. My searches on this haven't been enlightening.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I want a decent graphing calculator for my Pixel 2. Ideally I'd be best served by an exact copy of the TI-84 but anything that would be good for math and statistics tutoring would be work checking into. My searches on this haven't been enlightening.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Revsoft.Wabbitemu

Wabbitemu straight up emulates TI graphing calculators and puts a copy of their keyboards right onscreen. You need to have the ROM for each calc of course but that's easy to get. Does the 82/83/84 range, and also the 85/86 range that was more like the 89 (there's a different project app called Graph 89 that'll handle those, but it costs money)

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

fishmech posted:

Wabbitemu straight up emulates TI graphing calculators and puts a copy of their keyboards right onscreen. You need to have the ROM for each calc of course but that's easy to get. Does the 82/83/84 range, and also the 85/86 range that was more like the 89 (there's a different project app called Graph 89 that'll handle those, but it costs money)

This is amazing and saves me $130, I really appreciate it! I was moved to make this for you

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 22, 2018

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

fishmech posted:

The important question is; can I play drug wars on it?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

cage-free egghead posted:

Oh God i just hit nostalgia overload

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cage-free egghead posted:

Yes, it'll play all the stuff that'll run on the old calculators. Some of the later ASM-based stuff that tries to do sound and really push the LCD reactions to fake many shades of grayscale might not come out right, but basic drug wars is just fine.

You might need to grab some of the old stuff you remember from here: http://www.ticalc.org/pub/

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Hi all,

So I got a Nvidia Shield TV a few days ago - my first Android device - and I was hoping to get Pac-Man CE DX (the truly great one) onto it somehow, but the Play store says it's incompatible with my device (and the Play store on the device won't even return it as a search result). I've found a bunch of YT videos of people playing it on their Shield by installing the APK directly from a USB drive or some similar solution. If I purchase the game through the Play web interface, will I be able to download the APK to my hard drive and transfer it over? I'd rather just pay the $5 to get a legit file rather than waste time avoiding viruses.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I think you would need to install it on your phone then use the app "apk extractor" to get the apk, then copy it to your tablet using google drive or smb or however you wanna do it. Buying it through the web site will just ask you to pick a device to install it to not let you download the apk

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

If you don't have another Android device, you might be able to get the APK file using an Android emulator on a PC. It's a bit :filez: because you have to get Google Play onto the emulator and I don't think Google provides that for emulators.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If you go that route you can get the play store and play services (I think that's all you need) through the included web browser from apkmirror.com, they just mirror uploads to the play store so no worries about viruses or anything

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

If you don't have another Android device, you might be able to get the APK file using an Android emulator on a PC. It's a bit :filez: because you have to get Google Play onto the emulator and I don't think Google provides that for emulators.

They actually do now, a fairly recent addition.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there an app that would let me network with my Windows 10 computer to share and transfer files wirelessly?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there an app that would let me network with my Windows 10 computer to share and transfer files wirelessly?

I use it to connect to my NAS rather than my PC, but ES File Explorer should be able to do it. UI is kind of a mess, but it works.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Solid explorer supports smb and is good but you have to pay after a week I think. Any file manager that supports smb will work tho just use that as a keyword in the play store

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Awesome, I already have ES File Explorer for other things, so I'll mess around with it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I use WiFi File Transfer. Not a network share, it launches a web server which you open in a browser and upload/download files or folders.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

There's a plugin for SMB sharing for the stock file browser but really Solid Explorer is the better choice if you're going to seriously use it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

There's a plugin for SMB sharing for the stock file browser but really Solid Explorer is the better choice if you're going to seriously use it.

Not available in my country yet

Also if it's google's I think it lazily only does SMB 1, which you should have disabled on a windows computer. ES File Explorer does 2, pretty sure Solid and the rest do too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

syscall girl posted:

Not available in my country yet

Also if it's google's I think it lazily only does SMB 1, which you should have disabled on a windows computer. ES File Explorer does 2, pretty sure Solid and the rest do too.

No, it supports Samba 3.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I strongly prefer Speed Software Explorer for being ad free, free and not being a goddamn useless feature bomb. Works fine with Windows shares.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Is there a way (or an app) to create a shortcut to go directly to a specific label of contacts? I have labels for work/school/family but there's no direct way to get to those specific set of phone numbers. Right now I have to open the Contact app > hamburger menu > click on the label. I'd like to shorten that flow if possible.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Last I heard, ES File Explorer had become adware. Is that no longer the case?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah ES File Explorer is pretty awful as of a couple of years ago. The core functionality is there but all of the plugins serve ads and notifications.

If you're grognard enough, there's Total Commander for android, which has been a PC file explorer for a long time:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander

It requires plugins for some stuff as well but they're by the same guy and don't have ads.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Ya I used total commander with the lan plugin. For some reason I don't remember, I think I had to create a 2nd windows user account to get the user/password to work. Maybe I just didn't understand it properly.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've had difficulty with getting SMB shares to work reliably from my Windows 10 machine. Part of the problem I'm sure was when each device had its own VPN connection, but even turning that off I've had problems. Another part may be that my account is a Microsoft account I created with my Gmail address, but I don't use a password for my desktop machine, so I can never figure out the right combination of username and password to connect.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

My dudes, have you heard of this thing called the cloud? It's all the rage.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Get this: smb is your own cloud

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

TVsVeryOwn posted:

My dudes, have you heard of this thing called the cloud? It's all the rage.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kheldarn posted:

Last I heard, ES File Explorer had become adware. Is that no longer the case?

You can get a cleaned up version with no ads and no phoning home to chinar.* Not on the play store though.

I think the ads are fairly unobtrusive but I wouldn't use the stock version

*I checked mine with Spy Monitor and it doesn't even open a connection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The stock version made me stop using it because it popped up fullscreen ads over the lockscreen iirc but that was a while ago and I have no idea if it still does it