Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Ok, but that's still not a safety thing. I guess they have to measure which is worse publicity, the line taking slightly longer or that one customer getting very upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Baron von Eevl posted:

Ok, but that's still not a safety thing. I guess they have to measure which is worse publicity, the line taking slightly longer or that one customer getting very upset.

That one ride isn't a safety thing, but every single other one she's complaining about is.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
She wasn't complaining about the rest, she was complaining about it in that case because it was simply for wanting to get more people on the ride. She acknowledged having to hold bags for all of the Harry Potter rides, but the one that pissed her off was Kong.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/WTEN/status/975137501773000704

You know that's just going to lead to very lazy writing come the mass shooting there.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/975008391880953856

Absurd Alhazred has a new favorite as of 00:23 on Mar 18, 2018

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Going from "I'm embarassed at how fat I am so I'm gonna ask the employee to let me sit alone lest I squish the person next to me" to "wow the guy said I couldn't sit alone what a fat-shaming shitlord" would give me an instant cognitive dissonance headache.
I can't even see anything about the employee not letting her on the ride in the story, she just didn't want to.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
They finally did it, the perfect con to get rid of tech bros

https://twitter.com/techinsider/status/973640227205144576

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
As a fat woman who found out she couldn't ride the Batman at Six Flags I have no sympathy for the lady complaining that they wouldn't let her ride alone. They offered her a $100 gift card and dinner vouchers and she turned it down because she's a litigious jerk. Being fat sucks, but making others inconvenienced because of our fat is inexcusable. The other people their money too and have been waiting as long as her and aren't getting pissy about having to cram in.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Samuringa posted:

:aaaaa: It’s genius

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It's like that cryonics scam without the overhead of constant refrigeration. :master:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Samuringa posted:

https://youtu.be/xg29TuWo0Yo

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

She wasn't complaining about the rest, she was complaining about it in that case because it was simply for wanting to get more people on the ride. She acknowledged having to hold bags for all of the Harry Potter rides, but the one that pissed her off was Kong.

I'm not one of those dudes who posts in threads about how gross or funny fat people are but if you're so obese you feel or are inconveniencing other people at leisure events you really just should not be going to them

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm not one of those dudes who posts in threads about how gross or funny fat people are but if you're so obese you feel or are inconveniencing other people at leisure events you really just should not be going to them

Get your exercise where you can.
And that's the thing, you could be inconveniencing other people. Just don't. It's not hard.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/consequence/status/975371311169105926

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Samuringa posted:

This reminds of The Quantum Thief. It's a good book you should read it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The one and only keyboard cat died nearly thirty years ago.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Stairs posted:

As a fat woman who found out she couldn't ride the Batman at Six Flags I have no sympathy for the lady complaining that they wouldn't let her ride alone. They offered her a $100 gift card and dinner vouchers and she turned it down because she's a litigious jerk. Being fat sucks, but making others inconvenienced because of our fat is inexcusable. The other people their money too and have been waiting as long as her and aren't getting pissy about having to cram in.

Yeah, agreed. I’m of a weight and height that restricts me from a lot of rides, and I just have to deal with it. I really appreciate parks that have test seats at the ride entrance. That way, I’m not wasting anyone’s time in the queue.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Blue Moonlight posted:

Yeah, agreed. I’m of a weight and height that restricts me from a lot of rides, and I just have to deal with it. I really appreciate parks that have test seats at the ride entrance. That way, I’m not wasting anyone’s time in the queue.

You mean you don't consider it fat shaming to make you sit in the test seats (or "ham racks" as the park employees I imagine call them) in front of the queue who are all silently judging you?!

Why it's almost like you aren't a chronically insecure rear end in a top hat!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm 6'3" and 240, and have been able to ride everything I've tried.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm thin enough that one time on the world's longest wooden coaster I managed to push the lap bar down further than it was supposed to and was stuck for 5 minutes. That's my story, thanks for reading :shobon:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Randaconda posted:

But enough about your dating successes.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spog posted:

But enough about your dating successes.

:smugbert:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Randaconda posted:

I'm about the same, a bit taller and I advise you not to try the shangri-la in Port Aventura, Spain. That sure was 1 h 30 min of my life I wasted :v: Never had an issue anywhere else.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fathis Munk posted:

I'm about the same, a bit taller and I advise you not to try the shangri-la in Port Aventura, Spain. That sure was 1 h 30 min of my life I wasted :v: Never had an issue anywhere else.

I've never been to Spain. :smithcloud:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Randaconda posted:

Isn't that well within class 1 obese, BMI-wise? I think people have to hit at least class 2 or even class 3 before they stop fitting on rides because of girth :shrug:

Edit: I looked it up instead of being lazy, and it's at the very low end of class 1 obesity.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AlbieQuirky posted:

Isn't that well within class 1 obese, BMI-wise? I think people have to hit at least class 2 or even class 3 before they stop fitting on rides because of girth :shrug:

Edit: I looked it up instead of being lazy, and it's at the very low end of class 1 obesity.

Yeah, I'm still fat, but "normal" fat, not some giant lumbering hambeart.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, I'm still fat, but "normal" fat, not some giant lumbering hambeart.

Being tall rules imo. Also im in Europe so it's easier to get to Spain :v:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fathis Munk posted:

:hfive:

lol at men less that 6 feet tall

just lol

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Fathis Munk posted:

please tell us more about your awesome life being a tall person in europe

gently caress that actually sounds pretty great, never mind

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Randaconda posted:

:hfive:

lol at men less that 6 feet tall

just lol

gently caress you, you overgrown hamster.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leavemywife posted:

gently caress you, you overgrown hamster.

Stop being so short-tempered :ohdear:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
The hard thing about being tall is all the looks of reverence and adoration, fear occasionally, you get from the shorties. If you aren't really secure in who you are it can cause anxiety.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/uber-car-in-autonomous-mode-when-it-killed-woman-police-say-10247590

quote:

The death appears to be the first worldwide from a self-driving vehicle.
[...]
Uber is one of several companies testing semi-autonomous vehicles on the roads of Arizona, and the company said it came to the state specifically because of lax rules on the technology created by Governor Doug Ducey.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Uber's statement posted:

"Our hearts go out to the victim’s family," the short statement said. "We are fully cooperating with local authorities in their investigation of this incident."

When I read statements like this I always imagine the lawyer from that Parks & Rec episode where Leslie dumps dirt on Andy's head.

quote:

"All I'm gonna do is go in and just say, 'We are so sorry, it's entirely our fault-'"
"No, no, no, no. You can't say any of that. It admits liability. You can't say 'I'm sorry,' or 'I apologize.' It implies guilt."
"That's insane. I have to apologize. Andy was a victim-"
"Can't say 'victim.'"
"-of an extremely unfortunate situation."
"Can't say 'unfortunate,' and you can't say 'situation.'"
"I can't say the word 'situation'?"
"No. It implies there was a situation."
"Can I give him the pig?"
"Yeah, the pig's fine."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think this might still be fewer fatalities per mile driven than non-autonomous cars.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

doverhog posted:

The hard thing about being tall is all the looks of reverence and adoration, fear occasionally, you get from the shorties. If you aren't really secure in who you are it can cause anxiety.

And the scores of women who want to mate, so they can have tall, healthy children. Nothing saddens a mother more than giving birth to a future manlet.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

doverhog posted:

This goes double if you're a tall woman. And I like to wear heels.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

betamax hipster posted:

This goes double if you're a tall woman. And I like to wear heels.

You can easily intimidate the beta females and have your pick of the strongest men, so your offspring have the best chance of survival.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

chitoryu12 posted:

I think this might still be fewer fatalities per mile driven than non-autonomous cars.

Found a different article that added a new detail that the original omitted: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/19/technology/uber-driverless-fatality.html

quote:

The Uber vehicle was in autonomous mode with a human safety driver at the wheel when it struck the woman, who was crossing the street outside of a crosswalk, the Tempe police said in a statement. The episode happened on Sunday around 10 p.m. The woman was not publicly identified.

Out of curiosity, do these autonomous cars have any way of detecting crosswalks and slowing or stopping? I couldn't find anything on it but I'd assume so if they can stop at stop lights and signs, it'd be stupid not to have a feature like that. Almost sounds like the woman who got hit just said "gently caress it" and decided to jaywalk without looking.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Found a different article that added a new detail that the original omitted: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/19/technology/uber-driverless-fatality.html

Out of curiosity, do these autonomous cars have any way of detecting crosswalks and slowing or stopping? I couldn't find anything on it but I'd assume so if they can stop at stop lights and signs, it'd be stupid not to have a feature like that. Almost sounds like the woman who got hit just said "gently caress it" and decided to jaywalk without looking.

Yes, the cars know what crosswalks look like and what they mean. The big questions to answer are: What was the speed limit on that road section, how fast was the car travelling, how much visibility of the pedestrian did the car have leading up to the accident, and how much time was there between the pedestrian stepping into the road and the car striking them, and what did the car do during that time? Fortunately, the car has a complete and 100% accurate memory of this time that can be interrogated in multiple different ways down to microsecond precision, so I expect all of these questions will have answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EoRaptor posted:

Yes, the cars know what crosswalks look like and what they mean. The big questions to answer are: What was the speed limit on that road section, how fast was the car travelling, how much visibility of the pedestrian did the car have leading up to the accident, and how much time was there between the pedestrian stepping into the road and the car striking them, and what did the car do during that time? Fortunately, the car has a complete and 100% accurate memory of this time that can be interrogated in multiple different ways down to microsecond precision, so I expect all of these questions will have answers.

Yeah but we’re talking about Uber here.