Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Zil posted:

Isn't it that one fruit/nut that has an incredibly bad smell?
Durian and yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

For a second I thought that was chicken in coconut milk. Turns out it's actually worse.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Durian tastes great but yes it smells like a heady mixture of rear end and diesel

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

GrandpaPants posted:

For a second I thought that was chicken in coconut milk. Turns out it's actually worse.

This was my first thought when I scrolled past it on facebook which made me post it here

GnuUzir
Oct 16, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

Spam chat: Slice it maybe 1/4 inch thick, fry it in a pan until crispy on both sides (no oil or butter needed, the Spam provides). Butter a piece of bread, lay the slices on to cover the bread, and squirt ketchup on top. Eat open-faced, which may mean it's technically a Spam-and-ketchup pizza. It goes without saying this tastes best if you've polished off half a bottle of whiskey earlier in the night.

Saw this on a click bait sidebar and now I am glad I saved it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Having a "chili pot pie" for dinner tonight, it's good(especially for a frozen Marie Callenders pie), but like all things chili related it's definitely AFP in appearance

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

GrandpaPants posted:

Knowing Asian style deserts it probably is coconut milk and probably sweetened. The green ‘noodle’ things look like they’d be made with pandan.
I keep getting tempted to buy a durian from my supermarket but I always chicken out. I’m really curious to try it though. Maybe I’ll hunt out some preprepared stuff or some sweets.
I don’t want my house to smell though. Or my neighbours to kill me.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Helith posted:

Knowing Asian style deserts it probably is coconut milk and probably sweetened. The green ‘noodle’ things look like they’d be made with pandan.
I keep getting tempted to buy a durian from my supermarket but I always chicken out. I’m really curious to try it though. Maybe I’ll hunt out some preprepared stuff or some sweets.

The noodles are made from rice flour, they're a SE Asian thing

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Wa11y posted:

Really? You couldn't go with "Pookie"?

I actually typed that out first then workshopped it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The green noodles are called cendol and they're delicious. :colbert:

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Helith posted:

It will absolutely invade your house (temporarily) but everything I read said try fresh rather than sweets.

I bought some once out of curiosity. It smells of rotting fruit garbage, like that sickly sweet smell from overripe fruit. The taste was like banana and kiwi, followed by a very strong raw onion kick. Not unpleasant for me, but not something I'm excited to eat again.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

Not like that, mine were Kangaroo shaped

:australia: :hfive:

left_unattended posted:

Dad made mini pizzas with dinner tonight.

Unashamedly would with roast tomatoes and good buffalo mozzarella

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Raw tomatoes own also

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

The green noodles are called cendol and they're delicious. :colbert:

It was called something different in Cambodia but yeah they're really good

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

elise the great posted:

During my feral preteen days I used to stash cans of these in the woods and use them as caches to extend the time I could survive without having to go home. My rule was to take out one extra for every three-can “day’s worth” I stashed, to have at least three caches going at a time in case somebody found and stole them, and to try and replace bean meals with foraged meals whenever possible to make them stretch.

Later I learned how to soak acorns to add volume to the beans— even soaked they were vile without sauce— and how to filch from deer feeders, which made it easier to stay for days at a time in the hunting lease part of the woods near our house. Water was the only real challenge at that point and I definitely snuck up to strange houses for hose water a few times.

Brings back memories. God I hate beanie weenie.

How you managed to go from literal feral child of neglectful parents to functional human being and reliable ICU nurse is proof of human capacity for greatness.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
If you're nervous about trying durian, freeze it first. That kills some of the smelliness, and half/frozen durian is nice and ice cream-y.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

From the famous book "How to Cook For Humans"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
What have we done?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/hotdog-poptart-soup?utm_term=.anXLEv2Lz#.doxrw17rM

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

I think I'd agree that ravioli are dumplings.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Of course ravioli are dumplings what else would they be?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

spankmeister posted:

Of course ravioli are dumplings what else would they be?

Sterile offspring of a lasagna and a calzone?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
No matter what is posted next, Would.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

quote:

Kiviak or kiviaq is a traditional wintertime Inuit food from Greenland that is made of little auks fermented in a seal skin.

Up to 500 whole auks are packed into the seal skin. As much air as possible is removed from the seal skin before it is sewn up and sealed with seal fat, which repels flies. It is then hidden in a heap of stones, with a large rock placed on top to keep the air out. Over the course of three months, the birds ferment, and are then eaten during the arctic winter, particularly on birthdays and weddings.

The taste of kiviak is similar to strong Gorgonzola cheese.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

MariusLecter posted:

Urge to post goatman rising...

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

'Sup NEOhio buddy. I don't know if you're in Akron (for some reason I thought you were), but if so, there's one in Stow, off OH-8 on Steels Corners if I remember correctly. I've lived in Akron for 12 years (okay, 11 thanks to that bullshit year in NY) but I've never gone to Skyline.

Good to know! I'm actually out in the hinterlands that is Portage County (along with a bunch of Trump-dumps, illegal immigrants from W. PA, and WVA, and MAH GUNS!!! freaks). I have a client down in Cuyahoga Falls that I do work for a couple of times a year, so I'll have to detour back through Stow and get my Skyline jones fixed. I work mostly in the Cleveland area, and rarely get to Akron proper unless "The Beyonderers" are playing.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

I think I would just to say I had, but things like these make me wonder how the hell the first person to make it came up with the idea. Like imagine if someone went out buying 500 chickens and stuffed them in a sack and buried it and said he was going to eat it in a few months. You'd have that guy committed immediately.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Zil posted:

Urge to post goatman rising...

Buddy, if there was ever a time for Tubgirl...

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think I would just to say I had, but things like these make me wonder how the hell the first person to make it came up with the idea. Like imagine if someone went out buying 500 chickens and stuffed them in a sack and buried it and said he was going to eat it in a few months. You'd have that guy committed immediately.

"Uh hey we caught way more birds than we can eat right now, we should try preserving them somehow."
"Are freezers invented yet?"
"No."
"Well poo poo just bury them and hope they're still good in a few months I guess."

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

HOLY poo poo I would eat the gently caress out of this. I bet that's amazing.

Durian is one of those weird foods that, when you try it for the first time, you make a face of disgust which slowly transforms into existential confusion when you realize you can't stop eating it.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm shamelessly looting this from the Trump thread:
https://twitter.com/WCPO/status/974314297672257536

I had that last year, it's just food coloring. And I don't remember the exact conversation I had with the cook/manager, but there was a tone of "can you believe this poo poo corporate's making us do".

Seconding that whoever took that photo hosed up, the chili isn't supposed to be dry at all.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Mymla posted:

"Uh hey we caught way more birds than we can eat right now, we should try preserving them somehow."
"Are freezers invented yet?"
"No."
"Well poo poo just bury them and hope they're still good in a few months I guess."
"When we bury them in a seal skin bag, they come out better than if we just shoved them in the ground bare."
"Well keep doing that then I guess. At least it's food."

I figure most fermented foods were invented through trial and error over centuries of people faced with the choice of eating that or starving.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I think the documentary series Human Planet shows a bunch of people catching and eating auks. It's actually pretty cool to watch (like the rest of the series), but I'll pass on the smell-o-vision version.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Haifisch posted:

I figure most fermented foods were invented through trial and error over centuries of people faced with the choice of eating that or starving.

The human race got to where it is today by being willing to eat poo poo not even hyenas or bacteria want anything to do with.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
fermentation is so much better than not having any food that probably the first accidental fermentation gave rise to everyone trying everything possible

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Ya starvation is a hell of a thing. Same way people found out that certain berries are only edible after they've been soaked for a few weeks in running water, or certain fruit have specific edible bits only when perfectly ripe, or certain roots have to have specific bits cut away and then cooked to be edible.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Twitch posted:

Seconding that whoever took that photo hosed up, the chili isn't supposed to be dry at all.

Speak for yourself. I always order my three-ways dry and invert.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Larry_Bergin13/status/975167888414904320

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Hell yeah, buying a corned brisket on clearance tomorrow