Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

Goddamn, Zdarsky really killed it this week.

After releasing those two issues it was a good day to announce the exclusive deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

It's the name of one of the best comic book films ever (and easily the best X-Men film). It has instant recognition.

gently caress you, X-Men 2 is still both the best X-Men film and top ten comic book film.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

At Comixology, the two day old Duggan GOTG vol3 trade is now 99c (it wasn't in the 99c sale, which is over.)
https://www.comixology.com/All-New-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Vol-3-Infinity-Quest/digital-comic/626820
And it's BOGO time if you had any singles to buy. Holey moley.
https://www.comixology.com/Marvel-Buy-One-Get-One-Sale/page/17927

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

One of the few things I dislike about X-Men 2 is that it disappears Cyclops for half the film. I know most people don't like the character (particularly in the Singer films) but it is kind of a crappy thing to do. I watched it a few months ago though and I was surprised at how well it held up in general. The attack on the mansion and the stuff with Bobby's family is all really good.

Endless Mike posted:

Just have two Wolverines there are two Hawkeyes.
I was thinking about this also, maybe the feeling is that Wolverine is a more recognisable name than Hawkeye and don't want to confuse things by having multiple characters using that name. There haven't been separate Hawkeye books for Clint and Kate either.

It does suck that they're reverting her name back, but it's not really that surprising. I'd hoped that Logan would be a recognisable enough name but apparently not.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

irlZaphod posted:

There haven't been separate Hawkeye books for Clint and Kate either.

Weirdly though the newest series is just called "Hawkeye" on the cover, the trades call it "Hawkeye: Kate Bishop" on the spine. Despite there being no "Hawkeye: Clint Barton" book being published. Whatever. Differentiates it from the previous series, at least, if you've got them back to back on your shelf.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

So, I was looking for a Monica Rambeau NextWave pic for a thing, and my GIS turned up her going buck wild on a mindless one while Spidey and Blue Marvel look on and then Nova talking to Captain ☠️☠️☠️☠️. Are there good comics I should check out with these guys in them? I guess NextWave was some kind of imposed delusion and they killed a bunch of people? Point me in the right direction to see my favorite weirdos turned into shells of who they once were!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

irlZaphod posted:

One of the few things I dislike about X-Men 2 is that it disappears Cyclops for half the film. I know most people don't like the character (particularly in the Singer films) but it is kind of a crappy thing to do. I watched it a few months ago though and I was surprised at how well it held up in general. The attack on the mansion and the stuff with Bobby's family is all really good.

I was thinking about this also, maybe the feeling is that Wolverine is a more recognisable name than Hawkeye and don't want to confuse things by having multiple characters using that name. There haven't been separate Hawkeye books for Clint and Kate either.

It does suck that they're reverting her name back, but it's not really that surprising. I'd hoped that Logan would be a recognisable enough name but apparently not.

Miles' book is called Spider-Man, no adjectives or explainers on the cover, and there are multiple books about Peter Parker running at the same time, so don't tell me Wolverine is too famous to have more than one character using the name at the same time (Of course they are also changing Miles' superhero name with Bendis leaving, soooo...)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

if they can name the last wolverine movie simply 'logan' then it's definitely a name people will understand. they also has old man logan running for a long time and nobody had any trouble with it. plus, logan is definitely a more recognizable name than x-23 so having wolverine and logan would make much more sense than x-23 and wolverine from that perspective

I really doubt this is to make sure people know who logan is. they wanted him to be wolverine again so laura had to stop

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

navyjack posted:

So, I was looking for a Monica Rambeau NextWave pic for a thing, and my GIS turned up her going buck wild on a mindless one while Spidey and Blue Marvel look on and then Nova talking to Captain ☠️☠️☠️☠️. Are there good comics I should check out with these guys in them? I guess NextWave was some kind of imposed delusion and they killed a bunch of people? Point me in the right direction to see my favorite weirdos turned into shells of who they once were!

Al Ewing's various Avengers books for Monica. They were a lot of fun.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

navyjack posted:

I don't think they're being used consistently, it's just that people really liked Nextwave so the characters pop-up in Nextwavish incarnations from time to time - I think Civil War II is the only time the Captain's made an appearance, but Elsa Bloodstone is showing up as an occasional supporting character and I think all of Aaron Stack's post-Nextwave appearances have used that portrayal

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mighty Avengers made Nextwave canon.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

LGD posted:

I don't think they're being used consistently, it's just that people really liked Nextwave so the characters pop-up in Nextwavish incarnations from time to time - I think Civil War II is the only time the Captain's made an appearance, but Elsa Bloodstone is showing up as an occasional supporting character and I think all of Aaron Stack's post-Nextwave appearances have used that portrayal

Aaron was reverted back to the beep boop classic Machine Man in the Jeff Parker (Red) Hulk run, but I guess he was back to being Aaron Stack in the Deadpool team book? I never read the latter, so just guessing based on cover art (and the fact it's a Deadpool book).

Boom Boom was more less back to Nextwave form in Hopeless' Cable and the X-Force.

But yeah, Mighty Avengers (2013) hacked Nextwave into canon in a very roundabout way. If you need more Monica, her thread continues into Ultimates (2015).

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I don't want Laura to be X-23 again but I guess I don't mind her not being Wolverine. It's not a title with a lot of mythos and office surrounding it, like Captain America or Thor (which has been finagled into being "a title given to the worthy wielder of Mjolnir" really successfully by Aaron). Inheriting the Wolverine legacy doesn't have quite the same impact to me, given his whole thing is being a murderous loner with a troubled past, and the title is mostly associated with that vibe rather than like, "Wolverine is a standard-bearer for idealistic American values", or, "Wolverine is the protector of the Ten Realms".

It seems like more of a family thing for Laura, believing that Logan was dead and wanting to honour his memory. It'd totally make sense to me if she dropped it once he came back, because the whole idea was to keep what he represented to her alive and try to interface with his legacy for her own sake.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Android Blues posted:

I don't want Laura to be X-23 again but I guess I don't mind her not being Wolverine. It's not a title with a lot of mythos and office surrounding it, like Captain America or Thor (which has been finagled into being "a title given to the worthy wielder of Mjolnir" really successfully by Aaron). Inheriting the Wolverine legacy doesn't have quite the same impact to me, given his whole thing is being a murderous loner with a troubled past, and the title is mostly associated with that vibe rather than like, "Wolverine is a standard-bearer for idealistic American values", or, "Wolverine is the protector of the Ten Realms".

It seems like more of a family thing for Laura, believing that Logan was dead and wanting to honour his memory. It'd totally make sense to me if she dropped it once he came back, because the whole idea was to keep what he represented to her alive and try to interface with his legacy for her own sake.

Fair enough, but going back to X-23 is like Jean Valjean deciding "You know what, being called 24601 is actually kinda cool!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Monica had a fun arc in the 80s from her introduction in a Roger Stern Spider-Man annual through Stern's run on Avengers.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I just also want to say any shade I threw on Roy Thomas' run on Avengers is hereby retracted now that I'm to Steve Englehart's run. I never knew how lucky I was to read Roy Thomas.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Mighty Avengers made it so that Nextwave was the Beyonders torturing people for a joke, and that's pretty much the best thing ever.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Man, Duggan's Deadpool is a hard read right now. I'm... not sure if I even like it. It feels like watching someone abuse their dog or something. It's not funny or introspective, it's just Wade self-harming on a grand scale. :/

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Fair enough, but going back to X-23 is like Jean Valjean deciding "You know what, being called 24601 is actually kinda cool!"

Yeah absolutely. Hopefully that will just be the name of the book, but it's still not ideal.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I just also want to say any shade I threw on Roy Thomas' run on Avengers is hereby retracted now that I'm to Steve Englehart's run. I never knew how lucky I was to read Roy Thomas.

oh god

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Aw, I liked his run. I didn't love it, but the Avengers/Defenders war is a good time.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Roth posted:

Girlverine

Wolverina and Wolverino. Confusion over!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Logan's Canadian so she can be Wolverine and he can be Woulverine.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Wolverinette
She-Wolverine
Wolvherine
Femverine
Wolverlaura

There are worse names than X-23.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 18, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wolverine Girl
Ms Wolverine
Kid Wolverine
Wolverine Woman

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

twistedmentat posted:

Wolverine Girl
Wolverine Woman

By the way, what's Lauras approximate age now? I know age is unreliable and kinda pointless in comics, but she has had a quite unique childhood.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Tiny Slashy Bub

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

cant cook creole bream posted:

By the way, what's Lauras approximate age now? I know age is unreliable and kinda pointless in comics, but she has had a quite unique childhood.

I always assumed that she and Kate, Doreen, America and like all the young women in marvel were around 19 or 20 at the most. Its always weird when they state someones age. Like in the Scarlet Witch solo book Wanda was stated to be 26.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

cant cook creole bream posted:

I believe in a recent issue she was specifically mentioned as 20?

Lobok posted:

Logan's Canadian so she can be Wolverine and he can be Woulverine.
When he works up here his uniform has to say "Wolverine / le Carcajou" on it, except in Quebec where the French has to come first. Gets expensive since they all end up getting eviscerated anyway.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Laura was technically born in Canada too.

I like to imagine she's taught herself the accent since she escaped.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that would be good as a joke suggestion

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

As a modern reader coming in on Englehart's run, there's a number of issues. One is the unabashed love for his pet characters (Mantis hilariously chumping both Thor and Captain America in one of her first appearances stands out). There's some really bizarre and hackneyed plot contrivances even for comics of the day, like the moment where Vision phases his brain into the Piper's brain to mind control him. And some cringeworthy treatments of minorities - which isn't to say Kirby or Thomas had spotless records there, but there's a certain sort of bluntness to Englehart's clueless quality that stands out.

The Avengers - Defenders War is impressive for its ambition at the time but it's mostly just a much bigger version of "and then they fight!" hackneyed heroic dustup that was always popular at Marvel. It's kind of neat mostly in that Englehart does pick some odd confrontations, like Black Panther and Mantis versus Dr. Strange is almost interesting, and Hulk versus Thor is classic, but it's one of those stories that's mostly killing time until Captain America is like "You know, maybe Loki wasn't being perfectly honest...."

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
My vote is for Ms Wolverine

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Feets the Girl Wolverine

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Turn the W upside down, Molverine

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Give Logan the codename Angry Beaver.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Bring Back the bone frills

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Bring Back the bone frills

Isn't that based off the time Wolverine (Logan) stole the costume of one of the Shi'ar royal guard when the fought on the moon during Dark Phoenix? Like Logan literally beat the poo poo out of him and stole his clothes?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Isn't that based off the time Wolverine (Logan) stole the costume of one of the Shi'ar royal guard when the fought on the moon during Dark Phoenix? Like Logan literally beat the poo poo out of him and stole his clothes?

Indeed it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bring back logan's eye patch and either

a) call him patch again, or
b) call him cyclops :v:

• Locked thread