Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

RPO's fault is that it's too obviously bad. It's probably not going to be particularly worse than, say, Guardians of the Galaxy.

Hopefully it will hit at least the same high's as Justice League (dir. Snyder).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

But isn't the point of r p 1 about not even bothering to try

no the point of rpo is that you absolutely were correct to spend your entire youth mainlining pop culture instead of developing a personality and social skills and that ultimately you will be rewarded amply for it and everyone will finally see how cool you really are

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

The problem I had with the movie is that they took the first game's plot (Himiko's tomb) but used the second game's villains (Trinity.) And it doesn't make any sense for Trinity to be looking for Himiko's tomb. The movie is really unclear about what they expected to find.
All the GPS caches on Yamatai were left by a Trinity agent. So within the game series they are somewhat aware of what is going on. Not really sure why they felt the need to scramble things around though. The whole nutty cult Mathias builds in the game is a lot more interesting.

I think Lara from the game is a lot better in terms of backstory. Goes to UCL instead of Oxford or Cambridge. Has an inheritance that she can't access because her dickhead uncle is in charge of it.

I personally liked the bike messenger stuff was fun to watch. I liked Premium Rush a lot, and the first 5 minutes of Quicksilver. How's that for whiplash? 5 minutes of Nelson Vails being awesome, you start to wonder why everyone hates the movie so much, then he leaves never to come back and everything else is awful.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So Tomb Raider is looking at between $21-22 mil for the weekend, down from $25-27 expected box office from the studio.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FlamingLiberal posted:

So Tomb Raider is looking at between $21-22 mil for the weekend, down from $25-27 expected box office from the studio.

Ooh and it looks like it knocked Black Panther off the #1 spot on Friday. A Wrinkle In Time also got the #1 spot when it premiered last Friday but Black Panther still managed to be #1 for the 3 day weekend, if it manages to get #1 this weekend that'd be its fifth in a row which is really rare these days. The last three movies to be #1 for 5 or more weekends in a row were Avatar in '09, The Sixth Sense in '99 and Titanic in '97.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Question: is Jumanji 2 still considered to be in its theatrical run?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So Shia LaBeouf is making a movie about his life. It’s called Honey Boy. Lucas Hedges is playing Shia. Shia is playing Shia’s dad, who is a “former clown performer and recovering heroin addict.”

I’m into it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Looks like he's entering the Crispin Glover phase of his career.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It is still playing in multiple theaters around me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I've seen it in at least 3 theaters over the last couple days. It's been one hell of a run.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Yep. It’s still in a bunch of theaters near me.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

So Shia LaBeouf is making a movie about his life. It’s called Honey Boy. Lucas Hedges is playing Shia. Shia is playing Shia’s dad, who is a “former clown performer and recovering heroin addict.”

I’m into it.

God drat I am so okay with this

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

As of last Sunday it was number 10 at the box office.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It isn't even out in Japan for about three weeks. It's on about $940 million worldwide at the moment so it probably has a pretty decent chance of getting to the billion dollar mark.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There was an Ad on TV saying “buy Jumanji on digital while it’s still in theaters!” It’s a good movie but goddamn!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Titanic was like that, wasn't it?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Jumanji 2 is so weird to me because the trailers were absolute dogshit but everyone I know who's actually seen it insists its really good.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Titanic was like that, wasn't it?

Yeah, it came out in vhs on September 1, 1998 and it’s theatrical run ended one month later.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Titanic and Forrest Gump are the two big ones from the 90's.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Looks like he's entering the Crispin Glover phase of his career.
That's not really recent

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Jumanji 2 is so weird to me because the trailers were absolute dogshit but everyone I know who's actually seen it insists its really good.

:same:

But then again I feel pretty much the same way about this entire generation of 4-quadrant blockbusters.

Occasionally there's a Thor Ragnarok or The Last Jedi that breaks through and is interesting enough to me, but most are just impossibly bland to me.

I think I've finally hit the age where my spending power and opinions no longer relevant to movie studio studio executives or marketers. I thought this wasn't supposed to happen until I was 35! Oh well, I'll just go watch my Prestige Genre Movies that don't earn anyone money or have much cultural relevance in peace.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 17, 2018

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I want to go back and time and sneak up on kid me watching Jumanji and whisper into his ear "The sequel to that is going to be Titanic successful!" and then be arrested.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

I want to go back and time and sneak up on kid me watching Jumanji and whisper into his ear "The sequel to that is going to be Titanic successful!" and then be arrested.

That would have a very different implication in 1995 than it would in 1997.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

"The sequel to that will be, like, kinda Gone with the Wind successful, but not really." doesn't have the same ring to it.

I vaguely remember Dirty Dancing being in theaters forever in Germany, maybe I should have gone with that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How about "Three Men and a Baby successful" or "Good Morning, Vietnam successful"?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Three Men and a Baby successful"

I'm still mad that one hasn't gotten a remake.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
The jumanji trailers looked insanely bad (Jack Black Plays a teenage girl! Kevin Hart plays Kevin Hart!) and the concept was like a checklist of poo poo that sucks - needless reboot of an old movie as a franchise starter, video game movie, explosions for no reason, again jack black is playing a teenage girl etc. But it turns out the script was actually really good and the movie was well made and Jack Black is actually good at playing a teenage girl and it's basically a less confused tropic thunder.. it's good.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

I think that movie is a remake

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

sponges posted:

I think that movie is a remake

It probably is, that just proves that the concept is solid.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Grendels Dad posted:

It did.

In Bollywood.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's a remake of a French movie called Trois Hommes et un Couffin which I think Michael Eisner saw when he was on a business trip in France and enjoyed so much that he bought the rights to remake it. Fun fact: that was both the top-grossing movie of 1987 and the most successful movie directed by Leonard Nimoy.

Apparently there were plans to make a second sequel a few years ago called Three Men and a Bride (about Mary growing up and getting married) but it never came to pass.

Isn't there also a Hong Kong remake with Jackie Chan where the baby dies and he resuscitates it using jump leads and a car battery?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Matt Lindland posted:

The jumanji trailers looked insanely bad (Jack Black Plays a teenage girl! Kevin Hart plays Kevin Hart!) and the concept was like a checklist of poo poo that sucks - needless reboot of an old movie as a franchise starter, video game movie, explosions for no reason, again jack black is playing a teenage girl etc. But it turns out the script was actually really good and the movie was well made and Jack Black is actually good at playing a teenage girl and it's basically a less confused tropic thunder.. it's good.
I always had faith. Even though I think Kevin Hart sucks, I still had faith.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

You can't trick me, this isn't Bollywood because it doesn't star Shahrukh Khan!

quote:

It's a remake of a French movie called Trois Hommes et un Couffin which I think Michael Eisner saw when he was on a business trip in France and enjoyed so much that he bought the rights to remake it. Fun fact: that was both the top-grossing movie of 1987 and the most successful movie directed by Leonard Nimoy.

Apparently there were plans to make a second sequel a few years ago called Three Men and a Bride (about Mary growing up and getting married) but it never came to pass.

The whole point of Three Men and a Baby is to throw three male stars into one family friendly movie, doing a sequel with the guys who stopped being stars decades ago would have been terrible. We need this generation's terrible vehicle for, like, Vin Diesel, The Rock and Denzel Washington. I think Washington at least still owes us one of those.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Grendels Dad posted:

The whole point of Three Men and a Baby is to throw three male stars into one family friendly movie, doing a sequel with the guys who stopped being stars decades ago would have been terrible.

Sam Worthington, Taylor Kitsch and Scott Eastwood star in:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grendels Dad posted:

The whole point of Three Men and a Baby is to throw three male stars into one family friendly movie, doing a sequel with the guys who stopped being stars decades ago would have been terrible. We need this generation's terrible vehicle for, like, Vin Diesel, The Rock and Denzel Washington. I think Washington at least still owes us one of those.

You mean the Stonecutters haven't been keeping up their end of the bargain?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Jumanji is a lot of fun. It’s a great Sunday matinee flick. The only genuine criticism I can throw its way is that the kid that “becomes” Kevin Hart literally becomes him out of nowhere, personality wise. Before they get dumped in the game he’s a fairly straight-laced serious jock. The second he’s in Jumanji he goes full Kevin Hart as hell.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Fart City posted:

Jumanji is a lot of fun. It’s a great Sunday matinee flick. The only genuine criticism I can throw its way is that the kid that “becomes” Kevin Hart literally becomes him out of nowhere, personality wise. Before they get dumped in the game he’s a fairly straight-laced serious jock. The second he’s in Jumanji he goes full Kevin Hart as hell.
His flaw is that removed from his athleticism he's a wimpy basket case.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grendels Dad posted:

You can't trick me, this isn't Bollywood because it doesn't star Shahrukh Khan!

The Rock, Kevin Hart, Charlie Day. Make it happen.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Chris Pratt, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth and a baby.

Edit: Christina Hendricks as the baby's mother.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Casimir Radon posted:

I always had faith. Even though I think Kevin Hart sucks, I still had faith.

Yeah I saw the trailer and went "hey Jumanji 2 that looks like it'll be a fun thing to watch" and then it turns out it was a fun thing to watch. I think y'all are just super jaded