Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

HookShot posted:

Yeah, it was like $35 a day if we'd rented in Italy, so we ended up taking a bus from Trieste to Kopar and a taxi from the bus depot to the car rental place. Cost us an extra 10E and saved us hundreds.

I still have a dent on my car from driving through Koper shortly after I got the car. I got stuck in the center of the old town and the road got progressively narrower and narrower until, like 10m from the exit, it was no longer wide enough for my car even with my mirrors folded in and I had to back up the entire way (no more than 30m, but tough when it's so tight your mirrors are folded in). That'll teach me for not owning a Fiat Panda and trusting my GPS.

It's like every foreign tourist's driving in Italy nightmare, except usually the roads are usually not -literally- too narrow for the car unless you rented a Range Rover or something. I rented a house in southern France a while ago where I had to fold in my car's mirrors to get to it too. (Or park a ridiculously far way away)

Saladman fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
My partner and I rented an automatic in Manchester to drive up to the Lake District. I don’t really drive and he’s not comfortable with a manual. When we arrived at the rental car place they said they didn’t have any automatics left. Oh except for a giant 9-seater minivan which we could take if we wanted.

In retrospect a manual may have actually been more comfortable; those Lake District roads are not exactly built for cars, let alone huge vans, and finding a park in Keswick near the AirBnb was not ideal, to say the least. Also we hadn’t properly insured the car rental so I was scared stiff the entire time that the van would get scratched by a rogue branch or the side of a car or something.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Saladman posted:

I still have a dent on my car from driving through Koper shortly after I got the car. I got stuck in the center of the old town and the road got progressively narrower and narrower until, like 10m from the exit, it was no longer wide enough for my car even with my mirrors folded in and I had to back up the entire way (no more than 30m, but tough when it's so tight your mirrors are folded in). That'll teach me for not owning a Fiat Panda and trusting my GPS.

It's like every foreign tourist's driving in Italy nightmare, except usually the roads are usually not -literally- too narrow for the car unless you rented a Range Rover or something. I rented a house in southern France a while ago where I had to fold in my car's mirrors to get to it too. (Or park a ridiculously far way away)

Hahaha that sounds like when google maps told us to go down a one-way street in Dplit to get to a main road, except the street ended up leading to a set of stairs. So obviously we couldn’t go down it, so my husband had to reverse the car around 100m with about a foot of space on either side.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Chocolate Milk posted:

When we arrived at the rental car place they said they didn’t have any automatics left. Oh except for a giant 9-seater minivan which we could take if we wanted.

This exact thing happened to us a couple of weeks ago in Sicily - the jerk at the counter said they were short of autos and would upgrade us free to a Mercedes. He didn’t mention it was a Mercedes Vito, the 10 seater van you see used for small group tours etc. Definitely not what you want in Sicily!

I had a, uh, “robust” discussion with the guys out in the lot before a manager appeared and miraculously found an auto for us.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Does Lisbon have the huge waves or do I need to go up the coast? Nazare is the city I read about that regularly gets 50-100 foot waves or something insane.

I'm going to Sintra so was wondering about just hitting the coast from there for a bit. Cabo da Roca is just 35 minutes from Sintra by bus.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 12, 2018

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
The little beaches just west of Lisbon have no waves as they don't really face the ocean. People go south to Costa da Caparica and below for surfing, there's a looong beach there with decent waves. But I have no idea how it compares to the place you mentioned.

I've taken the bus to Cabo da Roca and it's quite doable, but you won't get anywhere near the waves there as it's a big cliff. There are some tiny beaches north and south of it too but I don't know if they are suitable for surfing, this part of the coast is mostly rocks. Also I don't think those small beaches can be reached by bus, though from the map it seems like one is within walking distance from Cabo da Roca. Wish I knew that when I was there...

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."
Hey I'm headed to Rome next week . On top of all the standard museums and ancient stuff to see, I poked around on Google maps at some nearish nature preserves and really liked the looks of Riserva Naturale Monte Catillo in Tivoli. There is a train that goes from Roma Termini to Tivoli in about 30 mins, again according to Google. Can anyone here tell me if this is a route with fairly regular service or do you only get this train at a few specific times of day? Or anyone gone to Tivoli from Rome who has some better advice? Thanks.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I’d probably aim for a specific train, to be honest. I went there about six weeks ago and I think it’s a semi frequent train service - sometimes it’s every 20 minutes, sometimes it’s a two hour wait for the next one. It’s Italy :v:

Also if you’re interested in fountains, check out the Villa d’Este while you’re there!

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
Looking to spend two weeks in the United Kingdom this summer, either July or August. The main draw is Scotland, but may also spend time in England, Wales, and/or Ireland depending on what looks good and makes sense.

My SO wants to go to Scotland to tour whisky distilleries. Does anyone have recommendations of any good ones? Not sure if the tours are all more or less the same, or if some distilleries have a unique feel to them.

My trips are usually based on landscapes and hiking. The Isle of Skye and the Cairngorms in Scotland look like they have lots of nice day hikes as well as Snowdonia in Wales. I know that the UK is a big place, but any recommendations on sights or day hikes?

Any other recommendations on cool or unique things to do or see in the UK? I definitely want to see some castles and I'm interested in paragliding or microlights flights.

I'm from the US and I have driven in Iceland and Australia. Is there anything I need to be aware if driving in the UK (other than them driving on the wrong-side of the road)?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

jjack229 posted:

Looking to spend two weeks in the United Kingdom this summer, either July or August. The main draw is Scotland, but may also spend time in England, Wales, and/or Ireland depending on what looks good and makes sense.

My SO wants to go to Scotland to tour whisky distilleries. Does anyone have recommendations of any good ones? Not sure if the tours are all more or less the same, or if some distilleries have a unique feel to them.

I visited Scotland last year. After some googling I decided to go to the Tomatin distillery, mostly because it's not a big 'factory' type distillery where you're rushed through industrial sites. They actually take time to explain stuff and you can take pictures nearly everywhere (which apparently is a bit unique for a distillery). The one problem is that it's not directly near a city so don't expect to be able to take public transport there. You'll have to decide on a designated driver. It works like this: every tour ends with a tasting but if you say you're the driver you get a couple of mini-bottles to take home instead.

quote:

My trips are usually based on landscapes and hiking. The Isle of Skye and the Cairngorms in Scotland look like they have lots of nice day hikes as well as Snowdonia in
Wales. I know that the UK is a big place, but any recommendations on sights or day hikes?
Absolutely. I can of course only talk about where I went, and I prob missed a lot of cool stuff, but these are a couple recommendations. Note that I'm not a very experienced hiker so I went for the hikes that were listed in the guides as 'easy'. I still found them challenging enough.

First of all, I found this a very good source of information: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/
You can sort stuff on difficulty level and track length which is very useful. There's also detailed descriptions of the walks.

On the Isle of Skye, on the north bit, you got the Old Man of Storr. It's a big rock standing up on top of a hill. You can spend a couple hours climbing up there and going back down. One thing to note is that once you get close to the rock and the terrain gets rocky, the path splits off into a whole bunch of smaller rocky paths going every direction. I took a random one trying to get closer to the rock and then had the hardest time getting back down because the path turned very steep and quite treacherous. So be a bit careful up there.

Another famous place is Ben Nevis, the tallest mountain in Scotland. It is quite possible to hike up the mountain itself, but I decided against it. The reason being that it gets very foggy up there and regularly people die because they step off cliffs. There's also basically no place to take a break anywhere on the way up. So they advise to not go up there unless you have some experience with mountain hikes and you know how to navigate off a chart and compass. HOWEVER, to the side of Ben Nevis, there's an absolutely beautiful path to the Steal Waterfalls. To get there, you need to drive on a road that keeps getting narrower and narrower and narrower until it ends at a place where you can park your car. Then you have to walk up a path along a gorge. There's some stepping over rocks involved but it's not all that hard. At some point the valley opens up in front of you, it's a beautiful green flat piece with the river in the middle. You got a good view on the waterfalls from there, but you can either take a simple rope bridge across the river or just ford it (I did the latter because there were kids playing on the rope bridge, there's some stepping stones next to them but they do get very slippery so you might get wet feet) and then walk a couple hundred feet you can get right up to the bottom of the falls. I think they actually recorded some Harry Potter scene there?

For the Cairngorms, there's actually several places around the mountain range where you can go for a beautiful hike. One place I particularly enjoyed was Cairngorm mountain itself. What you need to know for that, though, is that there's a furnicular railway taking you to the top, but it's normally not possible to exit the top station. You can get a snack there and visit the small museum and then you have to go back down. They keep the door closed for nature preservation purposes. However, there are two ways to explore the top anyway: first is climbing up there yourself. You can always take the furnicular down from the top, they'll let you in if you ring a doorbell at the back of the top station. It's quite a walk up, though. Another way is a guided tour, which is what I did. You take the furnicular up at the appointed time, the guide will be waiting for you at the top station and will let you out. The guide'll tell you about the nature, show you wildlife up there, and so on. Nice thing is that even though the mountain isn't all THAT tall, because it's so far north, the summit will often have little patches of snow throughout summer (it's a skiing place during winter). You do have to book the guided tour a couple weeks in advance though, or it might be sold out.

Basically I spent a week driving around Scotland and tried to do a hike like that every day. I also did a couple walks just west of Inverness. It's not very hilly there, but there's beautiful green forests to walk through. I'd say all of Scotland has pretty nature.

quote:

Any other recommendations on cool or unique things to do or see in the UK? I definitely want to see some castles and I'm interested in paragliding or microlights flights.
Considering castles, I went to several in Scotland but I think Cawdor Castle was one of the more interesting ones I visited. It's one of those castles where people live in part of the year and is open to visitors the rest of the year. And their original entrance used to have a trap door to a hidden dungeon jail cell. It also has gardens you can visit and a couple signed walking trails on their grounds (accessible from a door in the back of the gardens).

Considering Scottish cities, I think Edinburgh is the nicest one I visited. Last time I was there was over 10 years ago, but assuming the historical sights don't change much, it has a castle, several museums, pretty streets all over, and it's also possible to visit their underground dungeons as part of a "ghost tour". The tour guide tried to convince us that there we were down there hunting actual ghosts, but I was mostly interested in hearing about the history of those dungeons.

By the way, Loch Ness is a tourist trap. If you want to see a Scottish lake, go visit Loch Lomond. You can take a boat tour if you like.

quote:

I'm from the US and I have driven in Iceland and Australia. Is there anything I need to be aware if driving in the UK (other than them driving on the wrong-side of the road)?

Once you're used to left-hand driving it's not very hard to drive in the UK. It's good to know that many roads, especially hilly ones, are very narrow and curvy so you shouldn't go too fast because you can't see if there's traffic coming up ahead of you. And especially in Scotland, there might be sheep or cows on the road. Most road signs are in imperial (miles per hour) but some are in metric (things like height restrictions are often in both). It's a bit confusing at the start but you figure it out quick enough. The UK is also full of roundabouts, sometimes complex multi-lane ones so you'll need to navigate those, but if you just take them carefully and use your turn indicators well it usually works out fine. Oh yes, and there's some deal with yellow lines to the side of the road which mean you can't park there or something. Look up their exact meaning before you go.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 18, 2018

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Good info from CO2.

I spent a bit of time in Scotland last year, mostly in Edinburgh. You probably already know that August is Fringe in Edinburgh, which means it's super busy and expensive. If your itinerary coincides with this, book your accommodations as early as possible. Skye is also really busy, and I couldn't find any accommodation 2 weeks out in June/July. Book that early too.

Stirling Castle is really castle-y and an easy day trip from Glasgow or Edinburgh by train, though you may want to drive if you want to visit the nearby National Wallace Monument.

Edinburgh is undoubtedly nicer looking than Glasgow, but I think the latter's come a long way and I liked it too. Inverness was not interesting at all.

The Jacobite steam train is pretty cool, and was also the Hogwarts Express, if that your thing, and has some good scenery anyway, if it's not.

Some other quick notes about driving:
Speed limits are often only posted where they differ from the national speed limits, so know those. 60 miles per hour on single-track + single carriageway, 70 miles per hour on dual carriageway or motorway. Lots of average-speed cameras on motorways. B-roads may be single-track, with passing places, especially in the highlands. I got a flat on a single-track B-road without cell coverage. That was fun.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Awesome, thanks for the advice!

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

jjack229 posted:

My trips are usually based on landscapes and hiking. The Isle of Skye and the Cairngorms in Scotland look like they have lots of nice day hikes as well as Snowdonia in Wales. I know that the UK is a big place, but any recommendations on sights or day hikes?

Look into Northern Ireland. Bushmills distillery and Giant's Causeway are very close to each other. The bus tour I was on didn't allow a lot of time for Bushmills - basically it was time for a shot of whiskey and the gift shop, so I can't say if the tour's worth while. Giant's Causeway is absolutely amazing, and if you specifically are looking for landscapes you absolutely should look into it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The climb up Mount Snowdon is great and a moderate difficulty day hike. We did it last year and had a great time - even our miniature dachshund made it to the top, though he had to be carried in a couple of spots.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I quite liked Inverness, but mostly as a starting point for some (very light) hikes and highland tours. You'll have seen the town itself in two days at most, but I really enjoyed just spending a day walking around the inner city (Ness Islands are a great park). And of course it's right near Loch Ness, which is a tourist trap but does have genuinely nice scenery.

Ireland's West coast is great as well. We spent a week driving around the Southern half of the island; going from Galway to Dingle with a slight detour for Connemara (much too slight a detour) and the Cliffs of Moher was spectacular.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

If you go to Ireland, don't skip Connemara - it's fantastic.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of Inverness, the only bridges across the Ness river are in the Inverness city center. And the only other way to get from east to west Scotland is to drive allllll the way around Loch Ness. Expect some busy traffic if you're driving there. Like, nothing too terrible, Inverness isn't larger than a mid-sized town, it's just that it's the mayor center of civilisation that far north. But it kinda surprised me they hadn't made a river crossing as part of an outer ring road or something.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

jjack229 posted:

The usual advice is not to try to fit too much in. Do Scotland properly rather than trying to do everything in and end up doing nothing. At most do Scotland plus one other.

People tend to think of Scotland as rugged mountains but it has some surprisingly nice beaches.
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/our-pick-scotlands-best-island-beaches/0014634/

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Speaking of Inverness, the only bridges across the Ness river are in the Inverness city center. And the only other way to get from east to west Scotland is to drive allllll the way around Loch Ness. Expect some busy traffic if you're driving there. Like, nothing too terrible, Inverness isn't larger than a mid-sized town, it's just that it's the mayor center of civilisation that far north. But it kinda surprised me they hadn't made a river crossing as part of an outer ring road or something.
I always wondered what was going on that it took us ten minutes to be able to safely cross the road at the Telford Street bridge

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I hope no one is planning on going through France by train in the next two months? The SNCF is on strike approximately 40% of the time from now until end of June. Vive la grève!

http://bit.ly/2FNTOoD

Sorry couldn’t find in English, but there is a graphic further down. Grève means strike, and the red circled dates are dates you don’t want to be there. And it will probably be crowded AF on the other days. D is Sunday (dimanche) so you can orient yourself on the calendar.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

gently caress

Thanks for posting that, I just booked a ticket from Barcelona to Bern last weekend and of course it's on a strike day.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

We’re in France for most of April and may, and I’m suddenly very glad we opted for an expensive hire car!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Saladman posted:

I hope no one is planning on going through France by train in the next two months? The SNCF is on strike approximately 40% of the time from now until end of June. Vive la grève!

http://bit.ly/2FNTOoD

Sorry couldn’t find in English, but there is a graphic further down. Grève means strike, and the red circled dates are dates you don’t want to be there. And it will probably be crowded AF on the other days. D is Sunday (dimanche) so you can orient yourself on the calendar.

hm, interesting. I'm taking a EuroStar from London to Paris on April 9th; reckon this will be impacted? No idea what my alternatives would be at this point :(

Outside of that, I just need to get to the airport (CDG) on the 15th, which isn't a strike day, so maybe things will be okay. Hopefully if the RER is hosed I can take a bus, or if that's also hosed, a very expensive cab :(

reminds me I should go ahead and pick up some travel insurance, I think this would be a covered condition...

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 20, 2018

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

hm, interesting. I'm taking a EuroStar from London to Paris on April 9th; reckon this will be impacted? No idea what my alternatives would be at this point :(

Outside of that, I just need to get to the airport (CDG) on the 15th, which isn't a strike day, so maybe things will be okay. Hopefully if the RER is hosed I can take a bus, or if that's also hosed, a very expensive cab :(

reminds me I should go ahead and pick up some travel insurance, I think this would be a covered condition...

I don't think EuroStar is affected, even though it's majority owned by SNCF, although Thalys is affected and it's more or less the same structure as EuroStar. Check https://uk.voyages-sncf.com/en/train/strike and see if your train is on strike? I googled for a few minutes in French and English and never saw anything mention EuroStar.

It looks like the RER will also be going on regular strike during this period, although the schedule is not announced except for they will strike on March 22 for sure. It says they will also "maintain a minimum service" so the trains will be mega-crowded but the RER will still run, even on strike days. ("De nombreuses perturbations sont donc à prévoir sur les rails des métro, RER et Tramway à Paris et dans sa banlieue, mais avec un service minimum assuré toutefois aux heures de pointe.") More details here: https://www.evous.fr/Infos-trafic-dans-les-transports-a-Paris-et-en-Ile-de-France-Metro-RER-Tram-Bus-1174182.html
but it looks like those strikes aren't as disruptive, e.g. for RER E, they have 3 'strike hours' per day (6:30-7:30, 17:30-18:30, and 0:30-1:30)

PS you're arriving in Paris during the Paris Marathon so expect everything transport-related to be crowded and confusing, even if it wasn't a national strike day.

Some Article About the Strike posted:

Rail unions have described the move to hold a series of two-day rolling strikes throughout the spring as "innovative".

lol, at least there's some innovation going on in France.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
ah, thanks! didn't realize it'd all be so organized, but, uh, I guess that's the point :v:

sounds like at worst this will make some day trips I'd considered trickier, but I haven't set anything in stone for that

Saladman posted:

PS you're arriving in Paris during the Paris Marathon so expect everything transport-related to be crowded and confusing, even if it wasn't a national strike day.

hah, thanks for the heads up on this! I'm traveling midday and my Airbnb is north enough of the the route that it shouldn't be a major issue, I think

leaving for my big trip one week from now; thanks for all the advice y'all have all given! mostly playing it by ear (i.e. don't want to buy any day tour packages or anything until seeing the weather), but have some very long lists of things I could do

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Mar 20, 2018

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Hi fellas

I'm living in Portugal but haven't been to many places outside of Porto, Lisbon and Coimbra. I'm thinking of taking a 4-5 day trip with a friend to the south and I know people ITT seem to be pretty knowledgeable about Portugal, so what are some top top destinations? Since I've only really seen cities so far it would be nice to experience some more rural places, though a bit of a mixture would be ideal

orange sky
May 7, 2007

The Costa Vincentina overall is very good - Zambujeira do Mar etc - and it has a lot of good food. I'd do the coast on a road trip and stay in places along the way. I've been to some of the places but not all of them myself, so I can't really tell you the best places. If you love hidden beaches and stuff like that stopping the car and hiking along the coast is great.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Sounds good, though we'd be traveling by bus/train rather than car which I guess makes my options a bit more limited.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I'm going to Amsterdam from America on a short notice business trip. Unsurprisingly, I speak zero Dutch. I've been to Germany, France and the UK but could not possibly know less about the Netherlands and would like to limit how much I look like an idiot. Any suggestions?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

sean10mm posted:

I'm going to Amsterdam from America on a short notice business trip. Unsurprisingly, I speak zero Dutch. I've been to Germany, France and the UK but could not possibly know less about the Netherlands and would like to limit how much I look like an idiot. Any suggestions?

The Dutch speak better English than native English speakers do (a bit of an exaggeration but it honestly might as well be true... the Netherlands is probably the most English-saturated country in Europe outside of the UK and Ireland). Don't worry about not speaking Dutch.

If it's a business trip, how much free time will you have?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Drone posted:

The Dutch speak better English than native English speakers do (a bit of an exaggeration but it honestly might as well be true... the Netherlands is probably the most English-saturated country in Europe outside of the UK and Ireland). Don't worry about not speaking Dutch.

If it's a business trip, how much free time will you have?

I'm going to be there a week, but the free time kind of depends on how the project goes, it might be zero if everything sucks or a lot if everything goes well. :iiam:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I’d start with “just wander around and enjoy the city” as a baseline. The central area is fairly compact and you can walk all around it in basically a day. Just be aware of the bike lanes and don’t walk in them; and double check for bikes before crossing a street.

The Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museums are great, but the lines are yuge so you need to pre book tickets. You can do it even the night before, but don’t impulse decide to go and then waste your limited few hours standing in a line.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Wandering is a pretty great start, especially if you aren't really the museum type (though you should be, Amsterdam has a ton of really good ones).

Definitely eat some pancakes, some Indonesian food, and some :420: if you're so inclined. Amsterdam is a city that's kinda difficult to describe and is probably best experienced spontaneously.

Edit: oh and even though they're still lovely mass-produced boring pisswater beers, try a Heineken or an Amstel while you're there. They're both actually drinkable on this side of the Atlantic, unlike in the US where they both just taste like skunk.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Drone posted:

Edit: oh and even though they're still lovely mass-produced boring pisswater beers, try a Heineken or an Amstel while you're there. They're both actually drinkable on this side of the Atlantic, unlike in the US where they both just taste like skunk.

Is that actually based on something, or is it one of those things like how Coke tastes better in Mexico because somehow people can tell the difference between sugar and HFCS (maybe some people really can tell), or how Guinness tastes better in Ireland because of the Mystery of the Leprechaun or whatever reason people make up? I drink Heineken fairly regularly and as far as I can tell it's the same watery piss in Switzerland and France as it is in the US. Like other mass produced lagers, it's great when it's ice-cold and you're sitting in the sun though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Saladman posted:

Is that actually based on something, or is it one of those things like how Coke tastes better in Mexico because somehow people can tell the difference between sugar and HFCS (maybe some people really can tell), or how Guinness tastes better in Ireland because of the Mystery of the Leprechaun or whatever reason people make up? I drink Heineken fairly regularly and as far as I can tell it's the same watery piss in Switzerland and France as it is in the US. Like other mass produced lagers, it's great when it's ice-cold and you're sitting in the sun though.

Like, scientifically? I dunno. But Heineken isn't helped by being stored in green bottles, which generally allow more UV light through and can cause the "skunking" effect in a beer that isn't properly stored.

The effect is definitely more pronounced by Guinness, which DOES taste legit different in Europe than in the US.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Generally it's possible to cope with no English in most of Western Europe, especially big cities and tourist areas, especially especially Amsterdam. The French can get a bit lovely with you if you just start speaking English at them without asking first but no-one else really gives a poo poo.

Saladman posted:

or how Guinness tastes better in Ireland because of the Mystery of the Leprechaun or whatever reason people make up?

In my experience this is completely untrue, though admittedly I very rarely drink Guinness so I could well be misremembering.

e: Irish Guinness vs UK Guinness not vs US Guinness

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I had a Guinness in the Guinness Storehouse, like everyone who goes to Dublin, and according to them it's the best Guinness can be. And I'm gonna have to say, it's neither all that different nor really all that great. Much better stouts around and it's mostly marketing. They do show on the tour that different continents get different kinds of Guinness though, so there's that.

Incidentally, those tall Guinness cans with the carbonation ball inside actually come surprisingly close to the real deal. Bottles you can just forget about right away.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Yeah, often stuff directly in a brewery does taste different. I remember going to Pilsner Urquell's factory in Plzen and being impressed that they had an unfiltered beer that was actually pretty solid*. Too bad it's only sold in their factory and their regular beer is awful even when you're drinking it cold on a hot summer day.

Not that I've ever done a blind taste test of a can of Guinness from NY with one from Ireland. I have done that with sugar coke vs HFCS coke and could not tell the difference, but I might also have a terrible palate.

Re: scientifically for Heineken I thought maybe they put different chemicals or have a different process or something in the beer in the US vs in the EU.

*E: Apparently, from Wikipedia: "Almost all draught Pilsner Urquell is packaged in kegs and dispensed under carbon dioxide pressure but small quantities are available unpasteurised, unfiltered and naturally conditioned in cask in the Czech Republic and in very limited amounts in Germany, the United Kingdom,[5][6] the United States,[7] Sweden,[8] Hungary and Austria."

I guess unpasteurized and unfiltered makes it go bad pretty fast? I've never really thought about it, but it's been like 8 years since I went there and I still remember it being pretty interesting.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 21, 2018

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
It's mostly marketing and branding: standard Urquell is a fine beer available everywhere, while unfiltered Urquell is very much A Special Thing only available a few days a year in select bars in select countries. But yes, the shelf life is also obviously limited compared to the standard stuff, and bulk economics comes into play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sugar vs. HCFS is a weird one. I can definitely taste the difference and I prefer sugar, but I've had HCFS cherry coke in the US and from an imported can here, and it tasted a lot better in the US.